Opinions expressed by Entrepreneur contributors are their own.
I take great pleasure meeting many patients we help recover from serious injuries and ease symptoms of debilitating diseases so they can improve their lives through advanced stem cell therapy. In some cases, these patients report that after treatment they feel more energy a sense of vitality they enjoyed in their youth.
But what about patients who are young children some facing a future so uncertain that they may never even learn to talk, let alone enjoy a long rewarding life.
Thats the pain all too many parents cope with when their children are diagnosed with autism, or more specifically, autistic spectrum disorder (ASD). This spectrum of neurological conditions is seen in young children who dont seem to develop normalsocial, communication and behavioral skills.
Thats a vague description, I know, but that makes a diagnosis of ASD even more frustrating. Some children may function relatively well, but not make friends easily or demonstrate odd speech patterns. Others may not even be able to make eye contact or communicate at all, making the idea of going to school, let alone graduate and lead an independent life, seem impossible. Its not a rare condition, either. According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, ASD now affects about 1 out of 54 children in the United States.
Research shows that the earliertreatment can begin, the better. And the evidence is growing that stem cell therapy can help alleviate the symptoms for many children who suffer from ASD. Thats why Im so pleased that our advanced stem cell therapies can help more children who suffer from ASD enjoy a much brighter future.
Related:This 37-Year-Old Entrepreneur Is UntanglingAutisticMinds With ...
Current therapies for autism mostly include medications such as SSRIs, anxiolyticsand mood stabilizers. Although medications may decrease intensity and frequency of symptoms, they do not address the root causes of autistic disorders, which research shows can result from oxygen deprivation and intestinal inflammation.
The rationale behind treating autism with stem cells is that autism, and its degree of severity, has been significantly correlated to inflammatory and neuro-inflammatory cytokines. Intravenous administration of umbilical cord-derived stem cells has been shown in multiple clinical trials to reduce inflammation. Reducing inflammation in the autistic patient may alleviate symptoms of autism.
Heres one heartwarming story that reveals how stem cells offer new hope to parents of children with ASD. Back in June at age 19, Kenneth graduated from high school.
That may not seem like much of an accomplishment, but Kenneth was diagnosed with ASD at age two. When he was eightyears old, his parents say he was still in diapers and struggled to even communicate, but thats when he started receiving stem cell treatments.
His parents report that stem cells made a big difference. His mother, Marty Kelley, noted improvement within days of his first treatment. And his father Donald Kelley said, when you see that your child has been blessed with stem cell treatments and the improvement, its just a dream come true.
No, its not just a dream. Its based on science and research into how the body tries to heal itself naturally using stem cells.
As Kenneth says about the treatments, they put a little needle in, its not too bad. Thats a keen observation on another aspect of stem cell therapy that its a non-invasive procedure that poses little risk of side effects.
Related:This Is HowStem-Cell TherapyTreats Serious Brain Injuries
Although scientists arent sure exactly what causes ASD, our Chief Medical Officer Karolynn Halpert points out that these disorders are associated with the process of how the body modulates immune response and controls inflammation, but that stem cells have the ability to communicate with the immune system and release anti-inflammatory factors that can help reduce brain inflammation (neuroinflammation).
Dr. Halpert also explains that inflammation in the digestive system can also interfere with neurological function. Indeed, that phrase, gut feeling,isnt just an expression. Researchers have confirmed that the gut and the brain are linked in a gut-brain axisthat creates complex interactions in neurological functioning in ways that are not fully understood.
Some research suggests that autistic spectrum disorders may cause a heightened level of inflammation throughout the gastrointestinal tract, which can aggravate symptoms. There is significant evidence, however, that inflammation is controlled by stem cells. Thats why it helps promote healing and ease pain for patients we treat for a wide range of injuries such as TBI, and diseases such as autoimmune disorders, degenerative disc disease and many others all that can cause too much harmful inflammation.
Related:Researching the Safety and Effectiveness ofStem Cellsto Treat ...
As Dr. Halpert points out, stem cells help other cells signal each other more effectively replacing cells in the digestive system and throughout the body to balance immune response and control inflammation to potentially help children with autistic symptoms improve thinking and cognitive function.
Thats good news for ASD patients and their parents, especially with advanced stem cell therapy now available using ourproprietary protocols to culture the most potent cells. These cells are harvested from donated umbilical cords, which are rich in a specific type of stem cell mesenchymal stem cells. These cells are then screened for specific biomarkers that indicate high potency. Only cells that meet the criteria for high levels of potency are then reproduced into infusions that are given to patients a non-invasive therapy thats like Kenneth describes just a little needle.
As autistic spectrum disorder cases become more commonly diagnosed in children at younger ages, its essential to identify these cases early so treatment can begin as soon as possible. Its clear that the earlier treatment begins, the more likely it is that these children can enjoy better lives in the years ahead.
So congratulations Kenneth on your recent graduation. You earned your diploma. Your parents are proud of you. I am, as well. You and other ASD patients are an inspiration for our entire team to help others like you not only graduate from school but live a life filled with as much joy as possible.
- Therapeutic Solutions International Successfully Treats No Option Patients with its JadiCell Stem Cell Therapy While Advancing Preparations for Phase... - January 2nd, 2022
- Exclusive: Ronnie Coleman on Recent Weight Gain, Current Strength, and Health Progress - BarBend - January 2nd, 2022
- Mesenchymal stem/stromal cell-based therapies for severe viral pneumonia: therapeutic potential and challenges - DocWire News - January 2nd, 2022
- Brainstorm Cell Therapeutics (BCLI) Receives FDA Authorization for Expanded Dosing Program; Shares Higher - InvestorsObserver - January 2nd, 2022
- Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market Size 2021 Analysis by Top Companies | Biolife Solutions,Thermo Fisher Scientific,Merck,Ge Healthcare ... - January 2nd, 2022
- Stem Cell Treatment Improves Type 1 Diabetes in 1 Patient - Everyday Health - December 23rd, 2021
- Avra, Inc. Completes its Merger with Springs Rejuvenation, LLC, a Stem Cell and Anti-Aging Treatment Company - GlobeNewswire - December 23rd, 2021
- Global Regenerative Medicine Market is Expected to Reach USD 57.08 Billion by 2027, Growing at a CAGR of 11.27% Over the Forecast Period. -... - December 23rd, 2021
- Importance of stem cells-Past, present and future - Express Healthcare - December 23rd, 2021
- Stem cell therapy holds immense promise for the treatment of patients with non-healing ischemic leg wounds - Ibcworldnews - December 23rd, 2021
- BioRestorative Therapies, Inc. Releases Year-End Message - BioSpace - December 23rd, 2021
- Corneal epithelial differentiation of human pluripotent stem cells generates ABCB5+ and Np63+ cells with limbal cell characteristics and high wound... - December 23rd, 2021
- Receiving CAR-T therapy sooner improves lymphoma survival, according to study published in New England Journal of Medicine - Newswise - December 23rd, 2021
- Cell Therapy Market becoming larger and Massively Growing up with CAGR of 25.6% mainlander.nz - mainlander.nz - December 23rd, 2021
- City of Hope presents leading-edge research on blood cancer therapies and its vaccine to reduce stem cell transplant complications at American Society... - December 23rd, 2021
- This Startup Is Makingand ProgrammingHuman Cells - WIRED - December 23rd, 2021
- Daiichi Sankyo Authorizes the First YESCARTA (Axicabtagene Ciloleucel) CAR T-cell Therapy Treatment Site in Japan - Business Wire - December 23rd, 2021
- Communication between cells plays a major role in deciding their fate > News > USC Dornsife - USC Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences - December 23rd, 2021
- Emendo Biotherapeutics and Seattle Childrens Research Institute Announce Collaboration to Develop CRISPR-based Therapeutic Strategy for Severe... - December 23rd, 2021
- National Advertising Division Recommends Cryo-Cell Discontinue or Modify Certain Health-Related Claims for Cord Blood Banking and Treatment Services -... - December 23rd, 2021
- Systemic Mastocytosis Treatments Gain Hope Due To Increasing Novel Treatment Options - PRNewswire - December 23rd, 2021
- Seven tech trends to watch in 2022 | The Star - Toronto Star - December 23rd, 2021
- Seven tech trends to watch in 2022 | ThePeterboroughExaminer.com - ThePeterboroughExaminer.com - December 23rd, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy: Alternative Treatment to Hip & Knee ... - November 22nd, 2021
- How The Overlap Between Artificial Intelligence And Stem Cell Research Is Producing Exciting Results - Forbes - November 22nd, 2021
- Selma Blair Posts Nude Diving Photo After MS Stem Cell ... - November 22nd, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Reduces Need for Nearly 10% of Hip Replacements - Yale School of Medicine - November 22nd, 2021
- Stem cell therapy for heart failure lowers risk of adverse outcomes - Cardiovascular Business - November 22nd, 2021
- A second HIV patient may have been 'cured' of infection without stem cell treatment, in extremely rare case - CNN - November 22nd, 2021
- Global Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market Competition Forecast & Opportunities to 2026 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Galveston County Daily News - November 22nd, 2021
- Dr Pengyi Yang wins National Stem Cell Foundation Metcalf Prize - News - The University of Sydney - November 22nd, 2021
- BioRestorative Therapies Enters into Letter of Intent with PRC Clinical - BioSpace - November 22nd, 2021
- SC21- 21st century cellular medicines specialists - The Thaiger - November 22nd, 2021
- From asthma to cancer to infertility, the new treatments, jabs and meds making us healthier... - The Sun - November 22nd, 2021
- New hope for bowel cancer patients as fresh partnership between Carina Biotech and CellVec enables advancement of clinical trials. - Bio-IT World - November 22nd, 2021
- FDA Approves Merck's KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) as Adjuvant Therapy for Certain Patients With Renal Cell Carcinoma (RCC) Following Surgery - Business... - November 22nd, 2021
- Mum with brain fog and pins and needles in hands devastated by 'ticking time bomb' MS - Mirror.co.uk - November 22nd, 2021
- CAR T-cell therapy: Hear from a Canadian patient - CTV News - November 8th, 2021
- Talaris therapy ends need for immune drugs in transplant patients - - pharmaphorum - November 8th, 2021
- Treatment Sequencing Could Change With Complementary Combinations and CAR T Options in B-ALL - OncLive - November 8th, 2021
- Parkinson's gene therapy restores responses to dopamine-boosting drug in mouse models - FierceBiotech - November 8th, 2021
- Studies: CAR-T therapies superior to standard treatment in blood cancer - STAT - November 8th, 2021
- Salit Discusses the Use of Staging and Grading for Patients With GVHD to Choose Appropriate Treatment - Targeted Oncology - November 8th, 2021
- Orchard Therapeutics Reports Third Quarter 2021 Financial Results and Highlights Recent Business Updates - BioSpace - November 8th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Analytical Overview, Growth Factors, Demand, Trends and Forecast to 2026 - Northwest Diamond Notes - November 8th, 2021
- BioLineRx Announces an Oral Presentation and Three Poster Presentations at the 63rd American Society of Hematology (ASH) Annual Meeting &... - November 8th, 2021
- CRISPR Therapeutics Provides Business Update and Reports Third Quarter 2021 Financial Results - Yahoo Finance - November 8th, 2021
- Bacterial Infections Linked with Unapproved Stem Cell Treatments - Contagionlive.com - October 28th, 2021
- Team finds way to enhance stem cell therapy for CNS injuries - BioPharma-Reporter.com - October 28th, 2021
- Stem cell therapy can help combat common symptoms of aging - The Mountaineer - October 28th, 2021
- Stem Cells Used to Treat Avascular Necrosis of the Femoral Head - Yale School of Medicine - October 28th, 2021
- Vitti Labs Announces FDA Approval of IND Application for Phase II Clinical Trial of Combination Mesenchymal Stem Cell and Exosome Treatment of Novel... - October 28th, 2021
- Biohaven Enrolls Phase 1a/1b Clinical Trial of BHV-1100, Lead Asset from its ARM (Antibody Recruiting Molecule) Platform, in Combination with NK Cell... - October 28th, 2021
- The Power of the Immune System: New Treatment for Painful Blood Cancer Side Effect - Curetoday.com - October 28th, 2021
- Global Cell Therapy Market Research Report 2021: Opportunities with the Approval of Kymriah and Yescarta Across Various Countries -... - October 28th, 2021
- Pursuing Optimal Therapy Remains a Challenge in Indolent B-Cell Lymphoma - Targeted Oncology - October 28th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report by Cell Source, by Type, by Therapeutic Application, by End-User, by Region - Global Forecast to 2026 -... - October 16th, 2021
- Harvard's R&D alliance with Resilience to advance manufacture of complex medicines - Harvard Gazette - October 16th, 2021
- A New Line of Defense in Blood Cancer: Natural Killer Cell Therapy - Curetoday.com - October 16th, 2021
- Dr. Kahl on the Potential Utility of Frontline CAR T-Cell Therapy in MCL - OncLive - October 16th, 2021
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market By Type (Allogeneic Mesenchymal Stem Cells, Bone Marrow Transplant, Adipose Tissue Stem Cells) and By... - October 16th, 2021
- Orchard Therapeutics Outlines Comprehensive Presence at the European Society of Gene & Cell Therapy Congress - Yahoo Finance - October 16th, 2021
- Taking aim at the brain, Takeda strikes up cell therapy R&D alliance with Immusoft - MedCity News - October 16th, 2021
- Dr. Erba on the Evolution of Treatment in MCL - OncLive - October 16th, 2021
- Newer Agents for DLBCL Show Potential for Earlier Use in the Course of Treatment - Targeted Oncology - October 16th, 2021
- FDA Approves Genentech's Tecentriq as Adjuvant Treatment for Certain People With Early Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer - Business Wire - October 16th, 2021
- Worldwide Cell Therapy Consumables Industry to 2031 - Featuring Bio-Techne, Irvine Scientific and Sartorius Among Others - PRNewswire - October 16th, 2021
- International ZIM Network: SmartMed - Regenerative Solutions for the Therapies of Tomorrow - Business Wire - October 16th, 2021
- BioLineRx Announces Positive Results from Pharmacoeconomic Study Positioning Motixafortide as Potential Standard of Care in Stem Cell Mobilization -... - October 16th, 2021
- FTC Follows Through On Prioritizing Investigations Into False Advertising In Healthcare Markets - Media, Telecoms, IT, Entertainment - United States -... - October 16th, 2021
- Molecular Atlas of Small Cell Lung Cancer Reveals Unusual Cell Type That Could Explain Why Its So Aggressive - On Cancer - Memorial Sloan Kettering - October 16th, 2021
- Actress Jennifer Garner Visits with 7-Year-Old Girl Fighting B-cell Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia; What is the Treatment for This Disease? -... - October 16th, 2021
- Four-year-old girl with stage four cancer trying to get to America for clinical trial - Lancashire Telegraph - October 16th, 2021
- Stem cell & gene therapy to treat osteogenesis imperfecta: hype or hope - Open Access Government - October 5th, 2021
- Chennai-based institute to begin clinical trial on stem cell therapy for liver disease - The New Indian Express - October 5th, 2021
- "Stem cell-based therapeutics poised to become mainstream option - BSA bureau - October 5th, 2021
- Anja Health Disrupts Cord Blood Banking with Heartfelt Founding Story and Ground-Breaking Mission - Digital Journal - October 5th, 2021
- Longeveron Successfully Advancing its Cell-Based Therapy Studies in a Growing Industry Segment - Yahoo Finance - October 5th, 2021
- Ready to Treat Over 80 Life-Threatening Diseases, Discover the Potential of Cord Blood during World Cord Blood Day 2021 - PRNewswire - October 5th, 2021
- Transforming Growth Factor Sales Gaining Traction & to reach US$ 709.9 Mn with Significant Development in Cell Therapy Research - PRNewswire - October 5th, 2021