BRISBANE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sangamo Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ: SGMO), a genomic medicine company, today announced that hemophilia A gene therapy clinical data and hemoglobinopathies ex vivo gene-edited cell therapy data will be featured in poster presentations at the 61st Annual Meeting of the American Society of Hematology (ASH). The ASH abstracts, which were submitted on August 3, 2019, were released online this morning. The conference will take place in Orlando, FL, from December 7-10, 2019.
The SB-525 poster will show updated Alta study data including durability of Factor VIII (FVIII) levels, bleeding rate, factor usage, and safety, for all five patients in the high dose cohort of 3e13 vg/kg, with approximately 4 months to 11 months of follow-up after treatment with SB-525.
As of the abstract submission date, four patients in the 3e13 vg/kg cohort achieved FVIII levels within the normal range with no bleeding events reported up to 24 weeks post-administration. These patients did not require FVIII replacement therapy following the initial prophylactic period of up to approximately 3 weeks post-SB-525 administration. The fifth patient in the 3e13 vg/kg cohort had only recently undergone treatment with SB-525 at the time of the abstract submission. As previously reported, one patient had treatment-related serious adverse events (SAEs) of hypotension and fever, which occurred approximately 6 hours after completion of the vector infusion and resolved with treatment within 24 hours, with no loss of FVIII expression. SB-525 is being developed as part of a global collaboration between Sangamo and Pfizer.
The rapid kinetics of Factor VIII expression, durability of response, and the relatively low intra-cohort variability in the context of a complete cessation of bleeding events and elimination of exogenous Factor VIII usage continues to suggest SB-525 is a differentiated hemophilia A gene therapy, said Bettina Cockroft, M.D., M.B.A., Chief Medical Officer of Sangamo, commenting on the published abstract. We are pleased with the progress of the program toward a registrational Phase 3 study led by Pfizer, who announced it has enrolled its first patient in the 6-month Phase 3 lead-in study. We have recently completed the manufacturing technology transfer to Pfizer and initiated the transfer of the IND.
Ex Vivo Gene-Edited Cell Therapy
The ST-400 beta thalassemia poster will show preliminary results from the first three patients enrolled in the Phase 1/2 THALES study. In this study, hematopoietic stem progenitor cells (HSPCs) are apheresed from the patient, edited to knock out the erythroid specific enhancer of the BCL11A gene, and cryopreserved prior to infusion back into the patient following myeloablative conditioning with busulfan. The first three patients all have severe beta thalassemia genotypes: 0/0, homozygous for the severe + IVS-I-5 (G>C) mutation, and 0/+ genotype including the severe IVS-II-654 (C>T) mutation, respectively.
As of the abstract submission date, Patient 1 and Patient 2 had experienced prompt hematopoietic reconstitution. Patient 1 had increasing fetal hemoglobin (HbF) fraction that contributed to a stable total hemoglobin. After being free from packed red blood cell (PRBC) transfusions for 6 weeks, the patient subsequently required intermittent transfusions. Patient 2 had rising HbF levels observed through 90 days post-infusion. For both patients, as of the most recent follow-up reported in the abstract, on-target insertions and deletions (indels) were present in circulating white blood cells. Patient 3 had just completed ST-400 manufacturing at the time of abstract submission. As previously disclosed, Patient 1 experienced an SAE of hypersensitivity during ST-400 infusion considered by the investigator to be related to the product cryoprotectant, DSMO, and which resolved by the end of the infusion. No other SAEs related to ST-400 have been reported and all other AEs have been consistent with myeloablation. No clonal hematopoiesis has been observed. Longer follow-up will be required to assess the clinical significance of these early results. ST-400 is being developed as part of a global collaboration between Sangamo and Sanofi, along with support through a grant from the California Institute for Regenerative Medicine (CIRM).
The first three patients enrolled in the THALES study all have severe beta thalassemia genotypes that result in almost no endogenous beta globin production. The increases in fetal hemoglobin and presence of on-target indels in circulating blood cells suggests successful editing using zinc finger nucleases. The results are preliminary and will require additional patients and longer-term follow-up to assess their clinical significance, said Adrian Woolfson, BM., B.Ch., Ph.D., Head of Research and Development. It is important to note that myeloablative hematopoietic stem cell transplantation reboots the hematopoietic system, and that sufficient time is required for the stem cells to fully repopulate the marrow and for new blood cells to form. In other myeloablative conditioning studies in a similar patient population, full manifestation of the effects of gene modification in the red blood cell compartment has taken as long as 12 months or more to become evident.
Sanofis in vitro sickle cell disease poster details a similar approach to ST-400, using mobilized HSPCs from normal donors and SCD patients and utilizing the same zinc finger nuclease for gene editing, delivered as transient non-viral RNA, and designed to disrupt the erythroid specific enhancer of the BCL11A gene, which represses the expression of the gamma globin genes, thereby switching off HbF synthesis. Results from ex vivo studies demonstrated enriched biallelic editing, increased HbF, and reduced sickling in erythroid cells derived from non-treated sickle cell disease patients. Sanofi has initiated a Phase 1/2 trial evaluating BIVV003, an ex vivo gene-edited cell therapy using ZFN gene editing technology to modify autologous hematopoietic stem cells using fetal hemoglobin to produce functional red blood cells with higher BhF content that are resistant to sickling in patients with severe sickle cell disease. Recruitment is ongoing.
About the Alta study
The Phase 1/2 Alta study is an open-label, dose-ranging clinical trial designed to assess the safety and tolerability of SB-525 gene therapy in patients with severe hemophilia A. SB-525 was administered to 11 patients in 4 cohorts of 2 patients each across 4 ascending doses (9e11 vg/kg, 2e12 vg/kg, 1e13vg/kg and 3e13vg/kg) with expansion of the highest dose cohort by 3 additional patients. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has granted Orphan Drug, Fast Track, and regenerative medicine advanced therapy (RMAT) designations to SB-525, which also received Orphan Medicinal Product designation from the European Medicines Agency.
About the THALES study
The Phase 1/2 THALES study is a single-arm, multi-site study to assess the safety, tolerability, and efficacy of ST-400 autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplant in 6 patients with transfusion-dependent beta thalassemia (TDT). ST-400 is manufactured by ex vivo gene editing of a patient's own (autologous) hematopoietic stem cells using non-viral delivery of zinc finger nuclease technology. The THALES study inclusion criteria include all patients with TDT (0/0 or non- 0/0) who have received at least 8 packed red blood cell transfusions per year for the two years before enrollment in the study. The FDA has granted Orphan Drug status to ST-400.
About Sangamo Therapeutics
Sangamo Therapeutics, Inc. is focused on translating ground-breaking science into genomic medicines with the potential to transform patients' lives using gene therapy, ex vivo gene-edited cell therapy, in vivo genome editing, and gene regulation. For more information about Sangamo, visit http://www.sangamo.com.
This press release contains forward-looking statements regarding Sangamo's current expectations. These forward-looking statements include, without limitation, statements regarding the Company's ability to develop and commercialize product candidates to address genetic diseases with the Company's proprietary technologies, as well as the timing of commencement of clinical programs and the anticipated benefits therefrom. These statements are not guarantees of future performance and are subject to certain risks, uncertainties and assumptions that are difficult to predict. Factors that could cause actual results to differ include, but are not limited to, the outcomes of clinical trials, the uncertain regulatory approval process, uncertainties related to the execution of clinical trials, Sangamo's reliance on partners and other third-parties to meet their clinical and manufacturing obligations, and the ability to maintain strategic partnerships. Further, there can be no assurance that the necessary regulatory approvals will be obtained or that Sangamo and its partners will be able to develop commercially viable product candidates. Actual results may differ from those projected in forward-looking statements due to risks and uncertainties that exist in Sangamo's operations and business environments. These risks and uncertainties are described more fully in Sangamo's Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2018 as filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission and Sangamo's most recent Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q. Forward-looking statements contained in this announcement are made as of this date, and Sangamo undertakes no duty to update such information except as required under applicable law.
- Daewoong to conduct phase 1 trials of stem cell COVID-19 therapy in Indonesia - The Korea Herald - July 7th, 2020
- Expanded Access Protocol Initiated for Compassionate Use of Remestemcel-L in Children With Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome Associated With COVID-19... - July 7th, 2020
- Covid-19 Impact on Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market in 2026 Trends Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Shares, Growth Opportunities, Statistics - Owned - July 7th, 2020
- Poseida Therapeutics sets terms for upcoming IPO, aims to raise $150M for cancer treatments - The San Diego Union-Tribune - July 7th, 2020
- Delaware Court Grants An Order for the Expedited Briefing Schedule of Hemostemix's Injunction against Accudata Solutions, Inc. and Hemostemix is in... - July 7th, 2020
- Growing Demand for Myelofibrosis Treatment Market to Significantly Increase Revenues Through 2022 - Jewish Life News - July 7th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 7th, 2020
- Musculoskeletal Disorder Stem Cell Therapy Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 7th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Sales Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 7th, 2020
- COVID 19 Analysis on Stem Cell Therapy Products Trends Global Industry Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Opportunities and Forecast: Mesoblast, TiGenix,... - July 7th, 2020
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Treatment Market Overview By Growing Demands, Trends And Business Opportunities 2020 To 2027 - 3rd Watch News - July 7th, 2020
- The Global Biologics Safety Testing Market is expected to grow from USD 3,410.53 Million in 2019 to USD 6,802.68 Million by the end of 2025 at a... - July 7th, 2020
- Global Sublingual Allergy Immunotherapy Market to Witness Rapid Development During the Period 2017 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 7th, 2020
- Research On Global Cell and Gene Therapy Market (impact of COVID-19) with Top Players: Amgen Inc.,bluebird bio, Inc.,Dendreon Pharmaceuticals LLC. and... - July 7th, 2020
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Treatment Market Overview With Demographic Data And Industry Growth, Latest Trends, Forecast 2020-2028 - 3rd Watch News - July 7th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Regulations and Competitive Landscape Outlook - 3rd Watch News - July 5th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market (2019-2029) with COVID-19 After Effects Analysis by Emerging Trends, Industry Demand, Growth, Key Players - 3rd Watch... - July 5th, 2020
- Farrah Fawcett Glimpse into Life and Final Days of the Beloved 'Charlie's Angels' Star - AmoMama - July 5th, 2020
- COVID-19 Outbreak Bestows Lucrative Opportunities to Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market; Demand to Remain High Post Pandemic - Daily... - July 5th, 2020
- A Preview of the 12 Propositions on Californias November Ballot - Times of San Diego - July 5th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact: Primary Cell Culture Market | Strategic Industry Evolutionary Analysis Focus on Leading Key Players and Revenue Growth Analysis by... - July 5th, 2020
- Trending News: Covid-19 Impact On Stem Cell Therapy Market Growth Prospects Analysis And Future Strategic Planning By 2025 | Osiris Therapeutics,... - July 4th, 2020
- Hemostemix Filed an Injunction Against Accudata Solutions, Inc. for the Return of its Clinical Trial Midpoint Report and Data - Yahoo Finance - July 4th, 2020
- Trending: Cell Therapy Market Brief Analysis and Application, Growth by 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 4th, 2020
- Transplant patient turns to art to raise money for charity which saved her life - Bishop's Stortford Independent - July 4th, 2020
- Artificial Blood Substitutes Market - Insights into how contours of market will change in coming years - BioSpace - July 4th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Segmentation, Top Manufacturers, Demand, Growth, Trend, Opportunity and Forecast to 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 4th, 2020
- Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Treatment Market to Witness over XX% Growth 'in Revenue During the COVID-19 Pandemic Scenario - Kentucky Journal 24 - July 4th, 2020
- Hodgkin's Lymphoma in 8 Major Markets, 2019-2029 - Anticipated Label Expansions of Currently Marketed Therapies is a Key Driver - GlobeNewswire - July 4th, 2020
- Potential Impact of COVID-19 on Research report explores the Autoimmune Disorders Treatment Market for the forecast period, 2020-2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 4th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Comprehensive Analysis, Growth Forecast From 2020 To 2026 - Cole of Duty - July 2nd, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020: Growth, Demand, Service, Types, Applications, Key Players and Industry Forecast till 2025 - Cole of Duty - July 2nd, 2020
- Recovering from Cancer, a Stem Cell Transplant and Coronavirus - Cancer Health Treatment News - July 2nd, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Industry 2020: Global Market Trends, Size, Share, Growth Applications, SWOT Analysis by Top Key Players and Forecast Report... - July 2nd, 2020
- Adipose Derived Stem Cell Therapy Market includes Production and Market Share by Type (2020-2026) - Cole of Duty - July 2nd, 2020
- Ionis, leading MS researcher throw antisense at a new type of brain cells - Endpoints News - July 2nd, 2020
- Massachusetts Eye and Ear Enters Licensing Agreement with Biogen to Develop Treatment for Inherited Retinal Disorder - Newswise - July 2nd, 2020
- Canine Arthritis Treatment Market 2020: Challenges, Growth, Types, Applications, Revenue, Insights, Growth Analysis, Competitive Landscape, Forecast-... - July 2nd, 2020
- Context Therapeutics Announces Publication of Onapristone Extended Release Safety Review Results - Business Wire - July 2nd, 2020
- Global Microcarrier System Market to Record Significant Rise in Revenue Share Owing to the Augmenting Demand in COVID 19 Pandemic - 3rd Watch News - July 2nd, 2020
- R3 International Offering New Program for Stem Cell Therapy for Liver Failure in Mexico - Yahoo Finance - June 30th, 2020
- Pembrolizumab Approved for First-Line Treatment of Patients With Colorectal Cancer and Key Mutations - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - June 30th, 2020
- Covid-19 outbreak imparts profitable opportunities to Stem Cell Therapy market; demand to remain high post pandemic - Jewish Life News - June 30th, 2020
- Genespire and the San Raffaele Telethon Institute for Gene Therapy announce publication in Nature Biotechnology on enhanced gene editing technique in... - June 30th, 2020
- Research Antibodies Market To Reach USD 5.33 Billion By 2027 | Reports and Data - GlobeNewswire - June 30th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation (HSCT) Market Key Manufactures And Chance Analysis-Kite Pharma, Thermo Fisher Scientific, CellGenix... - June 30th, 2020
- Benefit From CD19 CAR T-Cell Therapy in Relapsed/Refractory B-Cell ALL - Hematology Advisor - June 30th, 2020
- COVID-19: UAE treats 2000 virus patients with novel stem cell therapy - Gulf News - June 30th, 2020
- UAE stem cell therapy treats over 2000 coronavirus patients, 1200 fully recover - Khaleej Times - June 30th, 2020
- Innovative treatments that harnesses bodys own immune cells to fight cancer now offered at Jimmy Everest Center - KFOR Oklahoma City - June 30th, 2020
- Vitro Bio-Pharma 2nd Quarter Ended April 30th 2020 Financial Results of Operations and Shareholder Letter - Stockhouse - June 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Analysis, Trends and Segmented Data by Top Companies and Opportunities 2020-2027 - Apsters News - June 30th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Segmentation By Qualitative And Quantitative Research Incorporating Impact Of Economic And Non-Economic Aspects By... - June 30th, 2020
- Canine Arthritis Treatment Market: 2020 Global Opportunities, Key Players, Competitive and Regional Analysis by Forecast 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 30th, 2020
- Global Covid-19 impact on Stem Cell Banking Market Trends, Analysis by Application and Region by 2025| CCBC,CBR,ViaCord,Esperite - 3rd Watch News - June 30th, 2020
- Osteonecrosis Treatment Market Estimated To Witness a Phenomenal Growth by 2027 | Bone Therapeutics, Enzo Biochem Inc., and K-Stemcell Co Ltd.... - June 30th, 2020
- Global Macular Degeneration Treatment Market Opportunities, Applications, Drivers, Limitations, Top Companies, Countries, & Forecast 2026|Adverum,... - June 30th, 2020
- GoLiver Therapeutics Receives a Positive Scientific Advice from the European Medicines Agency (EMA) on its Clinical Development and Biomanufacturing... - June 30th, 2020
- Stem cell therapy: why we need to be suspicious about cure-all claims - The Irish Times - June 24th, 2020
- Should You Delay Cancer Treatment Because of COVID-19? Study Says Most Treatments Dont Worsen Coronavirus Infection - On Cancer - Memorial Sloan... - June 24th, 2020
- Over $8M in 2020 Stem Cell Funding Awards Continue to Fuel Marylands Leading Cell Therapy Industry - BioBuzz - June 24th, 2020
- TP53, KMT2D Abnormalities Linked With Poor Prognosis in MCL - Targeted Oncology - June 24th, 2020
- Karyopharm Announces Publication of XPOVIO (Selinexor) Phase 2b SADAL Study Results in The Lancet Haematology - GlobeNewswire - June 24th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020: Industry Growth, Competitive Analysis, Future Prospects and Forecast 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 24th, 2020
- Century Therapeutics Announces Acquisition of Empirica Therapeutics - Business Wire - June 24th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market 2020 Trend, Growth, Latest Technology & Application Analysis and Global Industry Opportunities Forecast to 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 24th, 2020
- Coronavirus and sex hormones baldness may be a risk factor and anti-androgens a treatment - The Conversation AU - June 24th, 2020
- $14M Federal Grant to Research CAR-T Gene Therapy to Cure HIV - POZ - June 24th, 2020
- Glioblastoma Multiforme Treatment (GBM) Market: Rise in Awareness Regarding Cancer and Novel Therapies to Boost the Market - BioSpace - June 24th, 2020
- 4D physiologically adaptable cardiac patch: A 4-month in vivo study for the treatment of myocardial infarction - Science Advances - June 24th, 2020
- Why are more bald men in hospital with coronavirus? The answer could hold a treatment - ABC News - June 24th, 2020
- SFARI | SFARI workshop explores challenges and opportunities of gene therapies for autism spectrum disorder - SFARI News - June 24th, 2020
- Impact Analysis of Covid-19 On Osteonecrosis Treatment Market Growth and Evolution During 2020-2027 | Bone Therapeutics, Enzo Biochem Inc., and... - June 24th, 2020
- USC scientists use brain organoids to study intellectual disability, with support from the SynGAP Research Fund - USC News - June 24th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market 2020 | Demand and Scope with Outlook, Business Strategies, Challenges and Forecasts to 2025 by Leading Key Players - 3rd Watch... - June 24th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Industry Production, Sales and Consumption Status and Prospects Professional Market Research Report 2020-2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 24th, 2020
- Cytovia Therapeutics, Inc Adds Two Industry Leaders to Its Board of Directors - BioSpace - June 24th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Statistics, Opportunities, Demand, Forecast to 2026 | Study with COVID-19 Impact - 3rd Watch News - June 21st, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Exhaustive Analysis Strategic Assessment and Forecast Till 2026 - Owned - June 21st, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market 2020 Key Players, Share, Trend, Segmentation and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 21st, 2020