Patients fighting cancer need more blood than patients fighting any other disease, using nearly one-quarter of the nations blood supply. Thats why this February, the American Red Cross and the American Cancer Society have teamed up to encourage people across the country to Give Blood to Give Time, ensuring loved ones have the strength and support to battle cancer.
According to the American Cancer Society, 1 in 3 people in the U.S. will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime. An estimated 28,570 new cases of cancer will be diagnosed in Alabama this year. Many of these people will likely have a need for blood.
A loved ones cancer diagnosis often makes families and friends feel helpless. Thats why the Give Blood to Give Time partnership with the American Cancer Society is so important, said Dr. Pampee Young, chief medical officer, American Red Cross. When someone donates blood or platelets or makes a financial gift, they are helping to give patients and their families time, resources and the hope they need to fight back.
To schedule a blood or platelet donation appointment or make a financial gift, visit GiveBloodToGiveTime.org.
Some types of chemotherapy can damage bone marrow, reducing red blood cell and platelet production. Other times, the cancer itself or surgical procedures cause the problem. Blood products are often needed. In fact, five units of blood are needed every minute to help someone going through cancer treatment. Yet only 3% of people in the United States give blood. More people are needed to donate regularly to help meet the need.
The need for blood in cancer treatments is an important and untold story, said Gary Reedy, chief executive officer of the American Cancer Society. The American Cancer Society is excited to be working with the Red Cross on Give Blood to Give Time. Through this partnership, we want people to know there are multiple ways they can help and make a meaningful difference in the lives of patients and their families.
Individuals can honor their loved ones by making a blood donation appointment or financial contribution at GiveBloodToGiveTime.org.
Who blood donations help
In April 2015, Stephenie Perry was diagnosed with Hodgkin lymphoma exactly 10 days before her commencement ceremony from graduate school. One week after commencement, treatments began. During chemotherapy and two stem cell transplants, she needed blood and platelet transfusions.
I dont even know how many units of blood Ive received, she said. But I know all of that blood came from selfless individuals who made the decision to make an appointment and donate.
Last February, Perry received the good news that her cancer is in remission. The next day, her then-boyfriend, Justin Perry, proposed to her just in time for Valentines Day. They talked about marriage while she battled cancer, but they wanted to wait until she was in remission. Justin Perry said he didnt want to go another day without asking her to marry him. They were married in September.
Her red blood cell counts still get low at times. When that happens, she goes in for another blood transfusion.
I think its safe to say that my successful battle with cancer depended upon complete strangers and their donated blood. For this, I am grateful, Stephenie Perry said. Sometimes I hear stories from friends about people who are scared of needles or afraid to donate blood. I wish I could stand face-to-face with those people and tell them there is nothing scary about saving a life a life like mine.
Courtesy: American Red Cross
Go here to read the rest:
Red Cross and American Cancer Society Partnering to Help Cancer Patients - WLTZ 38 NBC
- Stem Cell Network Warns that Claims of Stem Cell Treatments for COVID-19 Are Unfounded and Misleading - Benzinga - April 2nd, 2020
- FibroGenesis Files Expanded Patent Coverage for its Fibroblast Cell Therapy to treat Coronavirus (COVID-19) ARDS - Yahoo Finance - April 2nd, 2020
- Cork man shares hacks for isolation that stopped him from 'going insane' - Echo Live - April 2nd, 2020
- Notice Regarding Business Alliance Between Sanbio and Ocumension in the Research, Development and Commercialization of Innovative Stem Cell Therapies... - April 2nd, 2020
- Designer, injectable gels to prevent transplanted Schwann cell loss during spinal cord injury therapy - Science Advances - April 2nd, 2020
- David Setboun Joins BrainStorm as Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer - GlobeNewswire - April 2nd, 2020
- Global Cell Therapy Technologies Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast (2019-2026) - Publicist360 - April 2nd, 2020
- CytoDyn Files a Clinical Trial Protocol with the FDA to Treat Severely Ill COVID-19 Patients with Leronlimab where the Primary Endpoint is Mortality... - April 2nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Network Warns that Claims of Stem Cell Treatments for COVID-19 Are Unfounded and Misleading - GlobeNewswire - March 31st, 2020
- ElevateBio reels in $170M to push 6 cell, gene therapy programs - FierceBiotech - March 31st, 2020
- Stem Cells, Nerves Found to Interact in Cancer Progression - Pharmacy Times - March 31st, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market by Players, Types and Applications with In-Depth Research On Industry Size ... - The Financial News Daily - March 31st, 2020
- Blood donors in high demand - Dominion Post - The Dominion Post - March 29th, 2020
- Reversing The Ageing Process With Stem Cell Therapy - Version Weekly - March 29th, 2020
- Positive Opinion from European Medicines Agency for Sanofi's Isatuximab in R/R Multiple Myeloma - OncoZine - March 28th, 2020
- Global Autologous Cell Therapy Market 2020-2024 | Evolving Opportunities with Bayer AG and Brainstorm Cell Therapeutics Inc. | Technavio - Business... - March 28th, 2020
- Global Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation (HSCT) Market 2020-2024 | Evolving Opportunities with AllCells Corp. and bluebird bio Inc. | Technavio... - March 28th, 2020
- HIV/AIDS cure: Second patient confirmed HIV-free and here's the treatment that cured him - EconoTimes - March 28th, 2020
- Donald Trump Is Using An Insanely Sketchy Newsletter To Find Campaign Donors - The Union Journal - March 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market 2020 | Growing Rapidly with Significant CAGR, Leading Players, Innovative Trends and Expected Revenue by 2026 -... - March 28th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Dynamics, Segments and Supply Demand 2029 - Packaging News 24 - March 28th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell and Gene Therapy Biological Testing Market (2019 to 2025) - Potential Growth Opportunities and Areas of Focus -... - March 27th, 2020
- Non-Profit Offers Free Stem Cell Therapy to Veterans - Pain News Network - March 27th, 2020
- Vitro Biopharma First Quarter ended January 31, 2020 Financial Results of Operations - Yahoo Finance - March 27th, 2020
- Kalytera Therapeutics: improving bone marrow transplants with CBD - Health Europa - March 27th, 2020
- A new way to study HIV's impact on the brain - Penn: Office of University Communications - March 27th, 2020
- HKBU Collaborates with Golden Meditech to Conduct Cell Therapy Research - QS WOW News - March 27th, 2020
- Medigene Provides Results for Fiscal Year 2019 and Outlook - Yahoo Finance - March 26th, 2020
- What Does It Mean to Be Immunocompromised? - Dana-Farber Cancer Institute - March 26th, 2020
- Oscar Saxelby-Lee gets 'super cells' after having stem cell transplant from dad to fight off cancer - Ledbury Reporter - March 26th, 2020
- Study Shows Development of Young Cells Could be New Option in Cancer Care - BioSpace - March 26th, 2020
- Bone Therapeutics appoints Stefanos Theoharis as Chief Business Officer - Yahoo Finance - March 26th, 2020
- Uni kit to help with virus tests - Kent Online - March 26th, 2020
- Old human cells rejuvenated with stem cell technology - Stanford Medical Center Report - March 25th, 2020
- Can cell-based therapy be helpful in tackling coronavirus? - YourStory - March 25th, 2020
- YOUR HEALTH: A rare disease that hardens the skin - WQAD.com - March 25th, 2020
- Rationales for Selecting CD19-Targeted Therapy in R/R B-Cell ALL - Cancer Therapy Advisor - March 25th, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Bandera County Courier - March 24th, 2020
- Global Autologous Cell Therapy Market 2020-2024 | Evolving Opportunities with Bayer AG and Brainstorm Cell Therapeutics Inc. | Technavio - Yahoo... - March 24th, 2020
- Clinical trial to find effective Covid-19 treatments gets underway - Nursing Times - March 24th, 2020
- Pipeline: Investigational Therapies for COVID-19 - The Cardiology Advisor - March 24th, 2020
- Mentoring is a gift, asking for help a blessing - The Jewish News of Northern California - March 24th, 2020
- The Global Autologous Cell Therapy Market is expected to grow by USD 1.97 bn during 2020-2024, progressing at a CAGR of 22% during the forecast period... - March 24th, 2020
- The Forefront of Treating Hair Loss in Women - Yahoo Lifestyle - March 24th, 2020
- Two Additional Coronavirus Patients Treated at Leading New York Hospital with CytoDyn's Leronlimab, Bringing the Total to Four Patients - Associated... - March 24th, 2020
- Regulatory authorities approve JTA Phase III study in osteoarthritic knee pain and ALLOB Phase IIb study in difficult fractures | DNA RNA and Cells |... - March 24th, 2020
- Platelet Rich Plasma and Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment size in terms of volume and value 2019-2022 - Daily Science - March 24th, 2020
- Bone Therapeutics receives Clinical Trial Application (CTA) approval for next clinical studies of its two lead candidates - GlobeNewswire - March 24th, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Booming by Size, Revenue and Top Growing Companies APEX Biologix, Belgravia Center, RepliCel, Riken Research... - March 20th, 2020
- His Immune System Went Out of Whack. The Usual Treatment Didnt Work. Why? - The New York Times - March 18th, 2020
- China reports new progress in drug, therapies against Covid-19 - The Star Online - March 18th, 2020
- Imfinzi in Combination with Standard-of-Care Chemotherapies Improves Survival in Lung Cancer - Curetoday.com - March 18th, 2020
- What Are Drug Prevention and Treatment Options for COVID-19? - Pharmacy Times - March 18th, 2020
- Tessa Therapeutics to launch first CAR-T therapy for Hodgkin's lymphoma (HL) - BSA bureau - March 18th, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics Appoints Company Founder and Gene Therapy Pioneer Bobby Gaspar, MD, Ph.D., as New Chief Executive Officer - BioSpace - March 18th, 2020
- Fate Therapeutics: Potential Catalysts Ahead - Seeking Alpha - March 18th, 2020
- Singapore formulates novel molecular therapy to treat leukaemia - BSA bureau - March 18th, 2020
- Targeting the Tumor Microenvironment - Technology Networks - March 18th, 2020
- Stem cell therapy revives cardiac muscle damaged during heart attacks - Cardiovascular Business - March 17th, 2020
- To Turbocharge Anti-Aging Treatment, Just Add... a Protein Found in Fruit Flies? - Singularity Hub - March 17th, 2020
- Lattice Biologics Ltd. Announces Initial Recruitment of Patients for a Phase 1 Clinical Trial to Access Safety and Efficacy of AmnioBoost for... - March 17th, 2020
- Fortress Biotech Reports Record Fourth Quarter and Full-Year 2019 Financial Results and Recent Corporate Highlights - BioSpace - March 17th, 2020
- 'London patient' declared cured of HIV after three years - BioNews - March 17th, 2020
- Stem cells: what do bones have to do with boosting immunity? - Health Europa - March 17th, 2020
- Thinking out loud: IP strategies for gene therapy inventions - Med-Tech Innovation - March 17th, 2020
- Looking to the future with Dr. Francis Collins - Newswise - March 17th, 2020
- Tired of The Coronavirus? Here Are 10 Good News Stories You Need Right Now - ScienceAlert - March 16th, 2020
- 'It had the smell of Lehman Brothers' - The Australian Financial Review - March 16th, 2020
- HELP ME HAYLEY: Spokane father of six receiving life-saving cells from Poland donor - KHQ Right Now - March 16th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Reverses Heart Failure in Mouse Model - Technology Networks - March 16th, 2020
- CytoDyn Files Modified IND and Protocol for Phase 2 Clinical Trial for Treatment of Patients with Coronavirus with Leronlimab (PRO 140) and Advises... - March 16th, 2020
- Heartbreaking coronavirus reality as isolated mum's daughter waves at her from street - Mirror Online - March 16th, 2020
- Week In Review: Nanjing Legend Files To Stage IPO In The U.S. - Seeking Alpha - March 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell Injections: What Are They & Does Stem Cell Therapy Work - March 15th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy | Stanford Initiative to Cure Hearing Loss - March 15th, 2020
- Does Medicare Cover Stem Cell Therapy in 2020? Find Out Here - March 15th, 2020
- Novel stem cell therapy for repair of knee cartilage - Mayo ... - March 15th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market to Witness Growth Acceleration During 2029 - Monroe Scoop - March 15th, 2020
- 'I'm not losing my boy,' sobs mum after son is diagnosed with cancer for third time - Mirror Online - March 15th, 2020
- CytoDyn's First mTNBC Patient in Phase 1b/2 is in Remission and Oncologist Ordered Termination of Treatment with Carboplatin (chemotherapy drug) and... - March 15th, 2020