SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Omeros Corporation (Nasdaq: OMER) today announced positive data from its pivotal clinical trial of the companys novel investigational complement inhibitor narsoplimab in the treatment of hematopoietic stem cell transplant-associated thrombotic microangiopathy (HSCT-TMA), a frequently lethal complication of HSCT. These preliminary data were recently provided to FDA as part of the companys ongoing interactions with the Agency on the narsoplimab Biologics License Application (BLA). All safety and efficacy endpoints including the composite primary endpoint and the secondary endpoints are agreed with FDA. The reported data support a strongly positive benefit-risk balance.
The primary efficacy endpoint in this single-arm open-label trial of HSCT-TMA patients is the proportion of patients who achieve a highly rigorous set of response criteria that requires both improvement in HSCT-TMA laboratory markers and improvement in clinical status (organ function and transfusions). Patients who did not fully meet these criteria were considered non-responders. The secondary endpoints include survival rates and change from baseline in HSCT-TMA laboratory markers. Consistent with the pre-specified statistical analysis plan for the trial, the primary and secondary endpoints are assessed for (1) all patients who received at least one dose of narsoplimab and (2) patients who received at least 4 weeks of narsoplimab dosing. Patients enrolled in this trial had a high expected mortality rate. In severe cases of HSCT-TMA, mortality can exceed 90 percent.
Primary Efficacy Endpoint:
The HSCT-TMA patient population enrolled in this trial had multiple high-risk features that portend a poor outcome. These include persistence of HSCT-TMA despite modification of immunosuppression (which was a criterion for entry into the trial), graft-versus-host disease, significant infections, non-infectious pulmonary complications and neurological findings. Patients in the trial had a high expected death rate, with 93 percent of them having multiple risk factors.
Patient enrollment in the pivotal trial has been completed. The details of the endpoints, including the response criteria agreed with FDA, and the number of patients in the trial remain confidential for competitive business reasons.
Last year the company reported data on 19 HSCT-TMA patients treated with narsoplimab on which FDA granted breakthrough therapy designation. The results reported today are even stronger. The response rate remains equally high at 56 percent, while the 100-day survival has improved from 53 percent to 65 percent.
The response rate in this high-risk population would be expected to be 10 to 15 percent with a 100-day survival rate of less than 20 percent. The response rate and 100-day survival achieved with narsoplimab in this trial demonstrate an unprecedented effect in this condition, said Rafael Duarte M.D., Ph.D., F.R.C.P., Associate Professor, Head of Hematology Department and Hematopoietic Transplantation Program, University Hospital Puerta de Hierro Majadahonda, Madrid, Spain, and Secretary of the European Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation. The other secondary endpoints are equally impressive. The data are consistent with my personal experience with narsoplimab. Patients with severe forms of HSCT-TMA have a dismal prognosis with no treatment currently available. I expect a treatment with this profile would be widely adopted for use in these patients and even lead to increased physician recognition of the disorder.
Omeros reported the initiation of its rolling BLA in October. Narsoplimab, also referred to as OMS721, is Omeros lead human monoclonal antibody targeting mannan-binding lectin-associated serine protease-2 (MASP-2) and has breakthrough therapy designation from FDA for this indication.
The striking results seen in our pivotal trial are tremendously gratifying, said Gregory A. Demopulos, M.D., chairman and chief executive officer of Omeros. Our rolling BLA is underway the nonclinical sections have been submitted and the data from this trial form the efficacy basis of the application. We continue to compile the remaining sections of the BLA and look forward to continued partnership with regulators to make narsoplimab widely available for the treatment of this devastating condition.
Data from this pivotal trial will also support the narsoplimab marketing authorization application for HSCT-TMA in Europe. The data are planned for publication and for presentation at international congresses in the first part of 2020.
In addition to breakthrough therapy designation from FDA, narsoplimab has orphan drug designation in both the U.S. and Europe for HSCT-TMA. Narsoplimab also has been awarded breakthrough therapy designation for immunoglobulin A nephropathy (IgAN), and Omeros has Phase 3 programs for narsoplimab ongoing in IgAN and in atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome (aHUS).
Conference Call and Webcast Details
Omeros management will host a webcast and conference call to present data from its pivotal trial of narsoplimab in HSCT-TMA. The call will be held today at 8:30 a.m. Eastern Time; 5:30 a.m. Pacific Time. To access the live conference call via phone, please dial (844) 831-4029 from the United States and Canada or (920) 663-6278 internationally. The participant passcode is 3774209. Please dial in approximately 10 minutes prior to the start of the call. A telephone replay will be available for one week following the call and may be accessed by dialing (855) 859-2056 from the United States and Canada or (404) 537-3406 internationally. The replay passcode is 3774209.
To access the live or subsequently archived webcast and presentation materials on the internet, go to the companys website at http://www.omeros.com and select Events under the Investors section of the website. To access the live webcast, please connect to the website at least 15 minutes prior to the call to allow for any software download that may be necessary.
About Omeros Corporation
Omeros is an innovative biopharmaceutical company committed to discovering, developing and commercializing small-molecule and protein therapeutics for large-market as well as orphan indications targeting complement-mediated diseases, disorders of the central nervous system and immune-related diseases, including cancers. In addition to its commercial product OMIDRIA (phenylephrine and ketorolac intraocular solution) 1%/0.3%, Omeros has multiple Phase 3 and Phase 2 clinical-stage development programs focused on complement-mediated disorders and substance abuse. In addition, the company has a diverse group of preclinical programs including GPR174, a novel target in immuno-oncology that modulates a new cancer immunity axis recently discovered by Omeros. Small-molecule inhibitors of GPR174 are part of Omeros proprietary G protein-coupled receptor (GPCR) platform through which it controls 54 new GPCR drug targets and their corresponding compounds. The company also exclusively possesses a novel antibody-generating platform.
Hematopoietic stem cell transplant-associated thrombotic microangiopathy (HSCT-TMA) is a significant and often lethal complication of stem cell transplants. This condition is a systemic, multifactorial disorder caused by endothelial cell damage induced by conditioning regimens, immunosuppressant therapies, infection, GvHD, and other factors associated with stem cell transplantation. Endothelial damage, which activates the lectin pathway of complement, plays a central role in the development of HSCT-TMA. The condition occurs in both autologous and allogeneic transplants but is more common in the allogeneic population. In the United States and Europe, approximately 25,000 to 30,000 allogeneic transplants are performed annually. Recent reports in both adult and pediatric allogeneic stem cell transplant populations have found an HSCT-TMA incidence of approximately 40 percent, and high-risk features may be present in up to 80 percent of these patients. In severe cases of HSCT-TMA, mortality can exceed 90 percent and, even in those who survive, long-term renal sequalae are common. There is no approved therapy or standard of care for HSCT-TMA.
Narsoplimab, also known as OMS721, is an investigational human monoclonal antibody targeting mannan-binding lectin-associated serine protease-2 (MASP-2), a novel pro-inflammatory protein target and the effector enzyme of the lectin pathway of complement. Importantly, inhibition of MASP-2 does not appear to interfere with the antibody-dependent classical complement activation pathway, which is a critical component of the acquired immune response to infection. Omeros controls the worldwide rights to MASP-2 and all therapeutics targeting MASP-2.
Phase 3 clinical programs are in progress for narsoplimab in hematopoietic stem cell transplant-associated thrombotic microangiopathy (HSCT-TMA), in immunoglobulin A (IgA) nephropathy, and in atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome (aHUS). The FDA has granted narsoplimab breakthrough therapy designations for HSCT-TMA and for IgA nephropathy; orphan drug status for the prevention (inhibition) of complement-mediated thrombotic microangiopathies, for the treatment of HSCT-TMA and for the treatment of IgA nephropathy; and fast track designation for the treatment of patients with aHUS. The European Medicines Agency has granted orphan drug designation to narsoplimab for treatment in HSCT and for treatment of primary IgA nephropathy.
This press release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, which are subject to the safe harbor created by those sections for such statements. All statements other than statements of historical fact are forward-looking statements, which are often indicated by terms such as anticipate, believe, could, estimate, expect, goal, intend, likely, look forward to, may, on track, plan, potential, predict, project, prospects, scheduled, should, slated, targeting, will, would and similar expressions and variations thereof. Forward-looking statements, including statements regarding anticipated regulatory submissions, expectations regarding regulatory exclusivities, the timing and results of ongoing or anticipated clinical trials, and the therapeutic application of Omeros investigational product, are based on managements beliefs and assumptions and on information available to management only as of the date of this press release. Omeros actual results could differ materially from those anticipated in these forward-looking statements for many reasons, including, without limitation, availability and timing of data from clinical trials and the results of such trials, unproven preclinical and clinical development activities, regulatory oversight, intellectual property claims, competitive developments, litigation, and the risks, uncertainties and other factors described under the heading Risk Factors in the companys Annual Report on Form 10-K filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on March 1, 2019. Given these risks, uncertainties and other factors, you should not place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, and the company assumes no obligation to update these forward-looking statements, whether as a result of any new information, future events or otherwise, except as required by applicable law.
Source: Omeros Corporation
- Immatics Extends Cell Therapy Manufacturing Collaboration with UTHealth - GlobeNewswire - August 6th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy for Diabetes and Related Conditions Market Report 2020 Insights with COVID-19 Impact Analysis by 2020Athersys, Mesoblast,... - August 6th, 2020
- Humanigen Appoints Bob Atwill as Head of Asia-Pacific Region - Business Wire - August 6th, 2020
- Organ Transplant Rejection Medications Market: Drug Companies Focus on Improving Long-term Outcome of New Drugs - BioSpace - August 6th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020: Growth, Demand, Service, Types, Applications, Key Players and Industry Forecast till 2025 - Chelanpress - August 6th, 2020
- Fate Therapeutics: 2Q Earnings Snapshot - Albany Times Union - August 5th, 2020
- Fate Therapeutics: 2Q Earnings Snapshot - The Pioneer - August 5th, 2020
- CF Foundation, Longwood team on new incubator for companies with cutting-edge CF treatments - Endpoints News - August 5th, 2020
- Fate Therapeutics: 2Q Earnings Snapshot - CT Post - August 5th, 2020
- Celularity announces the activation of first California Clinical Trial Site following CIRM Grant Award to Advance Treatments for COVID-19 - BioSpace - August 5th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Report Aims To Outline and Forecast , Organization Sizes, Top Vendors, Industry Research and End User Analysis By 2026 -... - August 5th, 2020
- Celularity announces the activation of first California Clinical Trial Site following CIRM Grant Awa - PharmiWeb.com - August 5th, 2020
- Celularity announces the activation of first California Clinical Trial Site following CIRM Grant Award to Advance Treatments for COVID-19 - PRNewswire - August 5th, 2020
- Progenitor Cell-Based Market 2020-2026 is Slated to Witness Tremendous Growth || Leading Players BAXTER INTERNATIONAL INC, Boehringer Ingelheim... - August 5th, 2020
- Global Myelofibrosis Treatment Market Overview By Growing Demands, Trends And Business Opportunities 2020 To 2029 - Owned - August 5th, 2020
- Orphan Drug Designation granted to tinostamustine in EU for very rare form of leukaemia - Pharmafield - August 5th, 2020
- Humanigen to Present at the BTIG Virtual Biotechnology Conference 2020 - Business Wire - August 5th, 2020
- NICE Amends Guidance on Haematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation During the Pandemic - Medscape - August 5th, 2020
- Cure for Covid-19 may never materialise says WHO, but there is still hope - The National - August 5th, 2020
- Strathmore man with MS calls for more Canadian treatment alternatives - CTV Toronto - August 4th, 2020
- Avacta extends partnership with Daewoong Pharmaceutical and AffyXell Therapeutics for Covid-19 stem cell treatments - Cambridge Independent - August 4th, 2020
- First really effective treatment for multiple sclerosis could be available within five years - iNews - August 4th, 2020
- Evolution and Expansion of Therapies in the Global Cell and Gene Therapy Tools and Reagents Market 2020-2024 - PRNewswire - August 4th, 2020
- After season full of injury and struggle, Brooks Koepka ready to defend titles at PGA Championship - Yahoo News Australia - August 4th, 2020
- The global cell and gene therapy market by revenue is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 30.90% during the period 20192025 - GlobeNewswire - August 4th, 2020
- ReViral Announces FDA Fast Track Designation Granted to Sisunatovir For The Treatment of Serious Respiratory Syncytial Virus Infection - Business Wire - August 4th, 2020
- Janssen Announces Health Canada Approval of DARZALEX* SC, a New Subcutaneous Formulation for the Treatment of Patients with Multiple Myeloma - Canada... - August 4th, 2020
- Sernova Enters into Exclusive Worldwide License Agreement with University of Miami for Therapeutic Cell Immune Protection Technologies -... - August 4th, 2020
- Fighting for a life unlimited with the Cystic Fibrosis Trust - Health Europa - August 4th, 2020
- Ozzy Osbourne: I was convinced I was dying during nightmare health year - Dothan Eagle - August 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Is Forecasted To Register A CAGR Growth Of XX% Between And2020 - Bulletin Line - August 3rd, 2020
- Good-Risk Group of Patients With Myeloma Saw Better Outcomes - Cancer Therapy Advisor - August 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Treatment Seen to Safely Aid Speech in ALS Patients in... - ALS News Today - August 3rd, 2020
- Study Evaluates Diagnostic Value of the Karius Test for Pneumonia in Immunocompromised Patients - OncoZine - August 3rd, 2020
- Cytovia Therapeutics Acquires Worldwide Rights to CytoImmune Therapeutics' First-In-Class EGFR Dual-targeting CAR for NK Cell Treatment of... - August 3rd, 2020
- FDA hands MorphoSys and Incyte a quick OK on their potential blockbuster CAR-T alternative - Endpoints News - August 3rd, 2020
- Humanigen to Host Investor Conference Call to Discuss NIH's Selection of Lenzilumab for Big Effect Trial - Business Wire - August 3rd, 2020
- Neural Progenitor Cells Discovered in the Optic Nerve - Technology Networks - August 3rd, 2020
- Osteonecrosis Treatment Market SWOT Analysis By Top Players Bone Therapeutics, Enzo Biochem Inc., and K-Stemcell Co Ltd. Hospitals, clinics,... - August 3rd, 2020
- What's Causing Your Hair Loss And The Secrets To Stopping IT - Harper's Bazaar Singapore - August 3rd, 2020
- Justin Thomas heads to PGA Championship with swagger of a champion - FanSided - August 2nd, 2020
- T-Cell Lymphoma Market 2020 | Research Objectives and Methodology, Growth Analysis, Top Manufacturers Sales, and Cost Structures Forecast 2024 - Owned - August 2nd, 2020
- 'I feared I would never see my boys' faces again': Dad of two could have lost sight during life-saving operation - The Sunday Post - August 2nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 : Top Countries Data with Revenue, Top Manufacturers, Market Size and 2024 Forecast Research Report - Market Research... - August 2nd, 2020
- Research on Cell therapy Technologies Market (impact of COVID-19) with Top Players: Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc., Merck KGaA, Terumo Bct, Inc.,... - August 2nd, 2020
- American Academy of Stem Cell Physicians is Hosting an FDA Safety Panel, Session is Now Free to the Public - Yahoo Finance - August 1st, 2020
- Amniotic Fluid Stem Cell Therapy Market Forecasted To Surpass The Value Of US$ XX Mn/Bn By 2018 - 2026 - Market Research Correspondent - August 1st, 2020
- Global Market Trends in the Cell and Gene Therapy Tools and Reagents Market 2020-2024 - GlobeNewswire - August 1st, 2020
- FDA Approves Tafasitamab-cxix in Combination With Lenalidomide for the Treatment of DLBCL - Pharmacy Times - August 1st, 2020
- Paroxysmal Nocturnal Hemoglobinuria (PNH) Treatment Market 2020 Dynamics, Segments, Size, Share, Industry Demand and Growth Opportunities to 2026 -... - August 1st, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market 2020: Key Companies, Huge Demand, Company Profiles, Market Segments and Demand by Forecast To 2025 - Owned - August 1st, 2020
- Ozzy Osbourne: I was convinced I was dying during nightmare health year - Kokomo Perspective - July 31st, 2020
- Genmab Announces European Myeloma Network and Janssen Achieve Positive Topline Results from Phase 3 APOLLO Study of Daratumumab in Combination with... - July 31st, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact Analysis on Stem Cell Banking Industry. Insights on Strategies of Key Players Bulletin Line - Bulletin Line - July 31st, 2020
- AlloVir raises $276M IPO to run broad cell therapy program - FierceBiotech - July 31st, 2020
- What Is the Impact of COVID-19 on Cancer Stem Cells Market During Projected Period of 2020-2026? - Market Research Posts - July 31st, 2020
- Global Outlook for Cell Reprogramming and Direct Reprogramming Services and Products Market to 2030, with Company Profiles of Leading Players... - July 31st, 2020
- BioLineRx to Report Second Quarter 2020 Results on August 6, 2020 - BioSpace - July 31st, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market to Witness a Pronounce Growth During 2025: MediVet Biologic, VETSTEM BIOPHARMA, J-ARM - Owned - July 31st, 2020
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market Shares, Strategies and Forecast Worldwide, 2018 to 2028 Bulletin Line - Bulletin Line - July 31st, 2020
- Arson at The Way Christian Center and The Shortage of Stem Cell Donors of Color - KPFA - 94.1FM - July 30th, 2020
- What Is the Impact of COVID-19 on Cancer Stem Cells Market During Projected Period of 2020-2026? - Owned - July 30th, 2020
- Identification and Treatment of Tuberculosis in Pediatric Recipients o | IDR - Dove Medical Press - July 30th, 2020
- Researchers Discover Stem Cells in Optic Nerve that Preserve Vision - Newswise - July 30th, 2020
- The Promise of Mesenchymal stem cells therapy for acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome Caused by COVID-19 - DocWire News - July 30th, 2020
- You Are Not Alone When Facing 'Chemo Brain' - Curetoday.com - July 30th, 2020
- Avacta and Daewoong Pharmaceutical expand partnership to include COVID-19 neutralising Affimer therapy - Cambridge Network - July 30th, 2020
- Industry News: Avacta and Daewoong Pharmaceutical expand partnership to include COVID-19 neutralising Affimer therapy - SelectScience - July 30th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report 2020 Breakdown By Regions, Type And Applications - Owned - July 30th, 2020
- Covid-19 Impact on Global Adipose Tissue-derived Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis and Forecast by Type, Size, Share, Demand, Trends, Growth,... - July 30th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020: Growth, Demand, Service, Types, Applications, Key Players and Industry Forecast till 2025 - Owned - July 30th, 2020
- Trending Now: Cancer Stem Cells (CSCs) Market Overview With Detailed Analysis, Competitive Landscape, Forecast to 2026| Janssen, Qiagen, Advanced Cell... - July 30th, 2020
- $30+ Billion Cell Expansion Market by Product, Cell Type, Application, End-user and Region - Forecast to 2025 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Yahoo Finance - July 29th, 2020
- Family need to raise 120K by September for lifesaving treatment for 11-year-old - Cheshire Live - July 29th, 2020
- R3 Stem Cell International Now Offering Four Joint Injections for Only $3950 in Mexico - PR Web - July 29th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market Overview with Detailed Analysis, Competitive Landscape & Forecast To 2026 -... - July 29th, 2020
- Avacta and Daewoong Pharmaceutical expand partnership to include COVID-19 neutralising Affimer therapy - Business Wire - July 29th, 2020
- FDA Approves New CAR-T Therapy for Mantle Cell Lymphoma - Cancer Health Treatment News - July 29th, 2020
- R3 Stem Cell International Now Offering Four Joint Injections for Only $3950 in Mexico - Benzinga - July 29th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020: Growth, Demand, Service, Types, Applications, Key Players and Industry Forecast till 2025 - Bulletin Line - July 29th, 2020