When I got off the phone with the national president of Hadassah (the worlds largest Zionist womens organization), who had called to invite me to serve on the board of this amazing nonprofit, I was filled with a sense of resolve, renewal and responsibility.
I was also a bit overwhelmed.
Of course, I knew about the work of Hadassah the creation of two hospitals in Jerusalem that were known as bridges to peace in the Middle East and were world-famous for their medical miracles, such as stem-cell treatments that reversed the effects of multiple sclerosis.
I was eager for my first board meeting. Id served on other boards and I thought I was experienced enough for my new role, but I quickly realized that to truly be effective and not to feel like deadwood on a board which I detested from my days as a nonprofit director I couldnt go it alone.
It has taken me many years (and many failures) to realize that asking for help is a sign of strength, not of weakness. I wish I could go back in time and convince my younger self this.
Id never had a mentor. Maybe it was because it didnt occur to me in my youthful ignorance that I needed one, but its more likely because, as a professional in a male-dominated field, no one had ever offered or felt particularly approachable.
The corporate culture I was most familiar with was sink or swim, and youd better do it quickly and youd better be tough.
Fortunately for me, by the time I was mature enough to realize I would benefit from a mentor, I was already a dedicated volunteer with my local Hadassah chapter. I was surrounded by smart, compassionate, accomplished women who were typically 20 years my senior. They were not interested in taking me down but in lifting me up.
One of these women, Liz Alpert, was also on the Hadassah national board. Liz is whip-smart, bold, adventurous and, to my delight, lots of fun. Liz is also generous about sharing her time with me.
Because of her decades of Hadassah national leadership, Liz was like my personal encyclopedia of Hadassah. She could fill in the blanks, read between the lines and give me the historical perspective that wasnt possible to glean no matter how thoroughly I would prepare for the board meetings. Sometimes we disagreed on matters, but I always respected her well-reasoned opinion.
Somewhere between meetings and conferences, Liz and I became great friends. We led a fashion, food, wine and design travel tour to Israel, where I depended on Lizs detail-oriented personality more times than I can count. Weve had fun together at Hadassah conferences across the U.S., and I discovered from our walk-and-talks along the beach in Santa Cruz that Liz has more hustle than Ill ever have.
Recently, Liz and I were walking around Lake Merritt in Oakland (well, Liz was walking and I was perpetually hurrying to catch up to her). The lake that morning was like a mirror, particularly tempting as we got to the boathouse.
Lets rent a rowboat, I said. Liz asked if Id rowed before.Yes, I replied, and off we went.
In the middle of the lake after Id lost the oar (yet again), Liz realized that she should have asked me not whether Id done this before, but whether I knew how to row, which I did not. Of course, Liz knew how to row from childhood summer camps.
She spent the rest of the morning patiently coaching me and taught me how to row at least well enough to get back to the dock.
I think the rowboat adventure (or misadventure, depending whom you ask) is a good analogy for our mentor-mentee relationship. I had the passion, but I didnt know what I didnt know. Luckily, Liz was there to teach me how to safely navigate.
Our mentoring relationship is a wonderful mlange of mother-daughter, sisters and friends. Its women supporting and nurturing women with love and wisdom, and it creates a family bond without biology. I have experienced this in one other area of my life, with Sammie.
Sammie Rogers came into my life as a teenager when I became her quasi-foster mother, and over the years we, too, have evolved into this same wonderful mlange. It seems the key to creating this is for both partners to be open and take a leap of faith. Without the competitiveness of a work environment or the invariable drama involved in mother-daughter relationships, something special but unnamed is created.
I can offer to help Sammie navigate lifes challenges without the subtext of the frequent mother-daughter condemnation and hurt feelings. And Sammie offers me love and inclusion that helps fill my heart. Its a wonderful feeling as a mentor to root for your mentee and celebrate in her successes and in the way she confronts lifes challenges and loss and to watch her persevere and thrive.
Mentoring is a celebration of strength of both the mentee and the mentor and of the bond between them.
While I am confident in Sammies strength and perseverance, she is confident in mine. And we rely on each other.
I brought Sammie to Israel for a vacation, but she brought me up to the top of Masada to see the sun rise. She led the way, she encouraged me, she stayed with me while I caught my breath. Neither of us could accomplish what we did without the other, and we had fun doing it and such a sense of renewal, resolve and responsibility.
Thats what mentoring brings to both partners.
Here is the original post:
Mentoring is a gift, asking for help a blessing - The Jewish News of Northern California
- Mesoblast : 3 Articles on RYONCIL GvHD Trial Results Published in BBMT - Marketscreener.com - May 25th, 2020
- Will there still be massage treatments? What the future of luxury spas looks like - Telegraph.co.uk - May 25th, 2020
- The Week Ahead In Biotech: ASCO Presentations In The Spotlight - Benzinga - May 25th, 2020
- Lawyer celebrates 40 years with Blythe Liggins after first day hiccup - Leamington Observer - May 24th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Market Share, Size 2020| Emerging Rapidly with Global Latest Trends, Growth, Revenue, Demand and Forecast to 2027 - Cole of... - May 24th, 2020
- Covid-19 Impact on Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market Trends Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Shares, Growth Opportunities, Statistics & Forecast to 2026... - May 24th, 2020
- What is a cytokine storm? And why is its prevention key to treating Covid-19? - Scroll.in - May 24th, 2020
- Covid-19 Impact On Global Autologous Stem Cell and Non-Stem Cell Based Therapies Market 2020 : Industry Trends, Size, Growth, Swot Analysis By Top Key... - May 24th, 2020
- Restoring vision to the blind - Science Magazine - May 24th, 2020
- Ontario Announces First Phase of Research Projects to Fight COVID-19 - Government of Ontario News - May 24th, 2020
- Umbilical Cord Stem Cell Therapy to Be Assessed in Severe COVID-19 - Pulmonology Advisor - May 23rd, 2020
- World coronavirus Dispatch: Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Share, Statistics, Demand and Revenue; Forecast To 2025 - 3rd Watch News - May 23rd, 2020
- Cells for Cells and Austrianova announce publication on novel method to produce stem cell exosomes - BioSpace - May 23rd, 2020
- The Economic Impact of Coronavirus on Platelet Rich Plasma and Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market : In-depth study on Industry Size and Analysis on... - May 23rd, 2020
- World coronavirus Dispatch: Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy market to witness robust revenue growth between 2018 to 2028 - Cole of Duty - May 23rd, 2020
- Blocking the deadly cytokine storm is a vital weapon for treating COVID-19 - TheStreet - May 23rd, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market: Overview, Opportunities, Analysis of Features, Benefits, Manufacturing Cost and Forecast To 2025 - Cole of Duty - May 23rd, 2020
- Looking toward the Future of Cell & Gene Therapies - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - May 22nd, 2020
- NantKwest Announces FDA Authorization of IND Application for Mesenchymal Stem Cell Product for the Treatment of Severe COVID-19 Patients - Yahoo... - May 22nd, 2020
- Kleo Pharmaceuticals and Celularity Enter into Research Collaboration to Rapidly Develop Allogeneic NK Cell Combination Therapies for COVID-19 and... - May 22nd, 2020
- Blocking the deadly cytokine storm is a vital weapon for treating COVID-19 - The Conversation US - May 22nd, 2020
- Analysis on Impact of COVID-19-Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020-2024 | Increase in Awareness of Stem Cell Therapy to Boost Growth | Technavio - Business... - May 19th, 2020
- NantKwest Announces FDA Authorization of IND Application for Mesenchymal Stem Cell Product for the Treatment of Severe COVID-19 Patients - Business... - May 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Improved Quality of Life in Patients with Microvascular Dysfunction - Diagnostic and Interventional Cardiology - May 19th, 2020
- Can stem cell therapy help - Greater Kashmir - May 19th, 2020
- Family needs to raise 40k towards potentially life-changing treatment for mum with MS - Coventry Telegraph - May 19th, 2020
- Interim Results of Phase I Study Confirms Safety with Early Signs of Efficacy for TRPH-222 in NHL - OncoZine - May 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Treatments Market Report, History and Forecast 2015-2025, Breakdown Data by Manufacturers, Key Regions, Types and Application - Express... - May 19th, 2020
- Umbilical Cord Stem Cell Therapy to Be Assessed in Severe COVID-19 - Monthly Prescribing Reference - May 17th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Emirati dentist who received stem cell therapy doing well - Gulf News - May 17th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report 2020 By Size, Share, Trends, Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 17th, 2020
- Outcomes of Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation in Children With Diamond-Blackfan Anemia - Hematology Advisor - May 17th, 2020
- Venetoclax May Play Role as Salvage Therapy in Multiply Relapsed MCL - Targeted Oncology - May 17th, 2020
- The Week Ahead In Biotech: Aquestive Awaits FDA Decision, Earnings Flow Slows - Benzinga - May 17th, 2020
- GEMoaB Announces Data Presentations Supporting Key Features of Its UniCAR Platform At the Upcoming American Association for Cancer Research (AACR)... - May 17th, 2020
- Michael Hiltzik: Don't be taken in by stem cell firms offering unsubstantiated therapies for COVID-19 - Rome News-Tribune - May 15th, 2020
- Mike Tyson lifts lid on training regime and stem-cell therapy ahead of comeback - Metro.co.uk - May 15th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Partnering Terms and Agreements 2010-2020 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - May 15th, 2020
- Mum's brutal stem cell treatment has 'all been worth it' as she enjoys time with family - Grimsby Live - May 15th, 2020
- Kleo Pharmaceuticals to Present Preclinical Data Highlighting the Synergistic Potential of Kleo Asset KP1237 and Autologous NK Cells in the Treatment... - May 15th, 2020
- Here's Why Big Buyers Are Excited About This Cancer Immunotherapy Stock - Motley Fool - May 15th, 2020
- Cost-Effectiveness Analysis of Tisagenlecleucel in the Treatment of Re | CEOR - Dove Medical Press - May 15th, 2020
- Mesoblast raises $138m from investors on hopes for COVID-19 treatment - Sydney Morning Herald - May 15th, 2020
- Group of Genes Have Altered Expression in Autism - Technology Networks - May 15th, 2020
- SENECA BIOPHARMA : MANAGEMENT'S DISCUSSION AND ANALYSIS OF FINANCIAL CONDITION AND RESULTS OF OPERATIONS (form 10-Q) - marketscreener.com - May 15th, 2020
- Platelet Rich Plasma and Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 15th, 2020
- Cardio Stem Cell Therapy Used to Treat Critically Ill Covid-19 Patients - Physician's Weekly - May 14th, 2020
- Cellectar Granted Composition of Matter and Use Patent in Europe for CLR 131 - GlobeNewswire - May 14th, 2020
- Magenta Therapeutics Presents Data at Annual Meeting of American Society of Gene and Cell Therapy Demonstrating Cells Mobilized with MGTA-145 in a... - May 14th, 2020
- Scientists generate millions of nave human pluripotent stem cells, far more than have ever been produced - UB News Center - May 14th, 2020
- bluebird bio to Present Data from Its Gene and Cell Therapy Programs During the Virtual Edition of the 25th European Hematology Association Annual... - May 14th, 2020
- Regenerative Medicine Industry Outlook to 2025 Featuring Novartis, Vericel, Integra Lifesciences, Mimedx Group, Stryker, Wright Medical, Roche and... - May 14th, 2020
- Doctors just discovered another promising coronavirus therapy - BGR - May 14th, 2020
- Cell therapy firm boosts odds for blood cancer patients as key trial succeeds - The Times of Israel - May 14th, 2020
- Tiziana Life Sciences Announces Data Demonstrating StemPrintER's Superiority Compared to Oncotype DX in Providing Prognostic Information to... - May 14th, 2020
- Global Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Types, Application, and Regions, Forecast 2020- 2025. :Global Globalmarketers.biz - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- FTC Letters Warn Marketers to Stop Making Unsupported Claims That Their Products and Therapies Can Effectively Prevent or Treat COVID-19 - New... - May 10th, 2020
- Autolus Therapeutics Plc (AUTL) Q1 2020 Earnings Call Transcript - The Motley Fool - May 10th, 2020
- Combating coronavirus: UAE announces its highest ever recoveries in a day - Khaleej Times - May 10th, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics (ORTX) Q1 2020 Earnings Call Transcript - Motley Fool - May 10th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market To Boom In Near Future By 2027 Scrutinized In New Research - Cole of Duty - May 9th, 2020
- FDA approves Tabrecta, first targeted therapy to treat metastatic NSCLC - The Cancer Letter - May 9th, 2020
- FTC warns Oregon companies to stop claiming they can prevent or treat COVID-19 - KGW.com - May 9th, 2020
- Region 1: Chemotherapy, Part II - MedPage Today - May 9th, 2020
- World Thalassemia Day 2020: Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis And Treatment of The Disease - India.com - May 9th, 2020
- Avrobio taps Magenta's ADC in ongoing quest to improve gene therapy conditioning - FierceBiotech - May 9th, 2020
- COVID-19: Responding to the business impacts of Rise in expanse of applications boosts Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy market 2018 to 2028 3w... - May 9th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market 2020 by Various Types, End-Use Application, Major Players, Forecast 2025 - Cole of Duty - May 9th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 With COVID-19 Update by Development factors analysis, Competitive Strategies and Forecast to 2025 - Bandera... - May 9th, 2020
- Stem Cell Treatment for COVID-19; Doctors Divided on Its Scope - The Quint - May 5th, 2020
- Mike Tyson, 53, reveals he had stem cell research therapy and hadnt hit bags for 15 YEARS before returning t - The Sun - May 5th, 2020
- Century Therapeutics Announces Formation of Scientific Advisory Board - Business Wire - May 5th, 2020
- Liberal MP Jim Carr to receive stem-cell transplant to treat blood cancer - The Globe and Mail - May 5th, 2020
- BioCardia Announces Positive Preclinical Results Supporting Investigational New Drug Application for Anti-Inflammatory Cell Therapy in Heart Failure -... - May 5th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market To Extend An Assessed Value Of US$ 218.2 Mn By 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 5th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis Of Growth, Trends Progress And Challenges Till Upcoming Year - Jewish Life News - May 5th, 2020
- Coronavirus Update: Baptist Hospital Patient Credits Stem Cell Treatment With Saving Her Life - CBS Miami - May 4th, 2020
- Stem cell treatment in the UAE sees 'favorable' outcomes for coronavirus patients - CNBC - May 4th, 2020
- Investigational new drug may be beneficial in treating severe COVID-19 - BioNews - May 4th, 2020
- Subcutaneous Formulation of Daratumumab Approved for Multiple Myeloma - Cancer Therapy Advisor - May 4th, 2020