Libby Clegg, 29, has represented both Scotland and Great Britain at international sporting events. She won a silver medal at the 2008 Summer Paralympics and won gold at the 2016 Paralympic Games. Clearly up for any challenge, the sprinter is now competing in ITVs Dancing On Ice.
But why exactly is the star registered as blind? The sporting star has a deteriorating eye condition known as Stargardts Macular Dystrophy which gives her only slight peripheral vision in her left eye.
Libby has described her eyesight as being like looking at a pixelated computer screen or a scrunched-up firework, when speaking to The Daily mail.
She added: I have some peripheral sight - barely any - and with what little sight I do have I was able to use to use to follow the lines on the track.
Libby wasnt born blind, and started losing her eyesight at the age of 9.
But theres currently no treatment for Stargardt, and eventually, the mother-of-one will lose her entire sight.
She continued: Im at the age where my sight should be stabilising but its still deteriorating.
Things will never go black, but I dont know yet exactly what I will be able to see.
Speaking to The Radio Times about her learning process on the ice rink, Live explained: Its been a learning process.
On the track I run with a guide runner and were attached all the time, but basically its like learning a different vocabulary to communicate.
Myself and my partner Mark Hanretty use touch and verbal communication.
Im not as bad as I thought I was going to be, but its not as easy as it looks.
Its a lot harder than I thought itd be, its very technical."
Moorfields Eye Hospital, part of the NHS Foundation Trust, says Stargardt disease is a rare inherited condition affecting one in 8,000 to 10,000 people.
It explains: In Stargardts the light-sensitive layer of cells in the macular region of the eye degenerate.
The macular is the area at the back of the eye which is responsible for the fine detailed vision necessary for activities such as watching TV and reading.
Symptoms of the condition include:
Moorfields Eye Hospital says UV blocking sunglasses can offer some protection for remaining vision, but the condition is currently untreatable.
It adds: A number of novel interventions are currently under investigation, including stem cell therapies. Stem cells are a special type of cell which, when put under the right conditions, can develop into many other types of cell including those found in the macular. It is hoped that new cells derived from stem cells can be grown in a laboratory to be transplanted into the eye to replace areas of dead or non-functioning cells. Stem cells can be sourced from a number of places including blood, bone marrow, umbilical cord and fertilized egg cells.
Researchers are involved in Europes first ongoing stem cell trial for Stargardts. More research will need to be undertaken in the future to determine to what extent stem cell therapy might help improve vision for people with Stargardts.
See the original post here:
Libby Clegg health: Dancing On Ice star is registered blind - what is her condition? - Express
- Therapeutic Solutions International Successfully Treats No Option Patients with its JadiCell Stem Cell Therapy While Advancing Preparations for Phase... - January 2nd, 2022
- Exclusive: Ronnie Coleman on Recent Weight Gain, Current Strength, and Health Progress - BarBend - January 2nd, 2022
- Mesenchymal stem/stromal cell-based therapies for severe viral pneumonia: therapeutic potential and challenges - DocWire News - January 2nd, 2022
- Brainstorm Cell Therapeutics (BCLI) Receives FDA Authorization for Expanded Dosing Program; Shares Higher - InvestorsObserver - January 2nd, 2022
- Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market Size 2021 Analysis by Top Companies | Biolife Solutions,Thermo Fisher Scientific,Merck,Ge Healthcare ... - January 2nd, 2022
- Stem Cell Treatment Improves Type 1 Diabetes in 1 Patient - Everyday Health - December 23rd, 2021
- Avra, Inc. Completes its Merger with Springs Rejuvenation, LLC, a Stem Cell and Anti-Aging Treatment Company - GlobeNewswire - December 23rd, 2021
- Global Regenerative Medicine Market is Expected to Reach USD 57.08 Billion by 2027, Growing at a CAGR of 11.27% Over the Forecast Period. -... - December 23rd, 2021
- Importance of stem cells-Past, present and future - Express Healthcare - December 23rd, 2021
- Stem cell therapy holds immense promise for the treatment of patients with non-healing ischemic leg wounds - Ibcworldnews - December 23rd, 2021
- BioRestorative Therapies, Inc. Releases Year-End Message - BioSpace - December 23rd, 2021
- Corneal epithelial differentiation of human pluripotent stem cells generates ABCB5+ and Np63+ cells with limbal cell characteristics and high wound... - December 23rd, 2021
- Receiving CAR-T therapy sooner improves lymphoma survival, according to study published in New England Journal of Medicine - Newswise - December 23rd, 2021
- Cell Therapy Market becoming larger and Massively Growing up with CAGR of 25.6% mainlander.nz - mainlander.nz - December 23rd, 2021
- City of Hope presents leading-edge research on blood cancer therapies and its vaccine to reduce stem cell transplant complications at American Society... - December 23rd, 2021
- This Startup Is Makingand ProgrammingHuman Cells - WIRED - December 23rd, 2021
- Daiichi Sankyo Authorizes the First YESCARTA (Axicabtagene Ciloleucel) CAR T-cell Therapy Treatment Site in Japan - Business Wire - December 23rd, 2021
- Communication between cells plays a major role in deciding their fate > News > USC Dornsife - USC Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences - December 23rd, 2021
- Emendo Biotherapeutics and Seattle Childrens Research Institute Announce Collaboration to Develop CRISPR-based Therapeutic Strategy for Severe... - December 23rd, 2021
- National Advertising Division Recommends Cryo-Cell Discontinue or Modify Certain Health-Related Claims for Cord Blood Banking and Treatment Services -... - December 23rd, 2021
- Systemic Mastocytosis Treatments Gain Hope Due To Increasing Novel Treatment Options - PRNewswire - December 23rd, 2021
- Seven tech trends to watch in 2022 | The Star - Toronto Star - December 23rd, 2021
- Seven tech trends to watch in 2022 | ThePeterboroughExaminer.com - ThePeterboroughExaminer.com - December 23rd, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy: Alternative Treatment to Hip & Knee ... - November 22nd, 2021
- How The Overlap Between Artificial Intelligence And Stem Cell Research Is Producing Exciting Results - Forbes - November 22nd, 2021
- Selma Blair Posts Nude Diving Photo After MS Stem Cell ... - November 22nd, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Reduces Need for Nearly 10% of Hip Replacements - Yale School of Medicine - November 22nd, 2021
- Stem cell therapy for heart failure lowers risk of adverse outcomes - Cardiovascular Business - November 22nd, 2021
- A second HIV patient may have been 'cured' of infection without stem cell treatment, in extremely rare case - CNN - November 22nd, 2021
- The Promise of Stem Cells to Help Children with Autism - Entrepreneur - November 22nd, 2021
- Global Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market Competition Forecast & Opportunities to 2026 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Galveston County Daily News - November 22nd, 2021
- Dr Pengyi Yang wins National Stem Cell Foundation Metcalf Prize - News - The University of Sydney - November 22nd, 2021
- BioRestorative Therapies Enters into Letter of Intent with PRC Clinical - BioSpace - November 22nd, 2021
- SC21- 21st century cellular medicines specialists - The Thaiger - November 22nd, 2021
- From asthma to cancer to infertility, the new treatments, jabs and meds making us healthier... - The Sun - November 22nd, 2021
- New hope for bowel cancer patients as fresh partnership between Carina Biotech and CellVec enables advancement of clinical trials. - Bio-IT World - November 22nd, 2021
- FDA Approves Merck's KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) as Adjuvant Therapy for Certain Patients With Renal Cell Carcinoma (RCC) Following Surgery - Business... - November 22nd, 2021
- Mum with brain fog and pins and needles in hands devastated by 'ticking time bomb' MS - Mirror.co.uk - November 22nd, 2021
- CAR T-cell therapy: Hear from a Canadian patient - CTV News - November 8th, 2021
- Talaris therapy ends need for immune drugs in transplant patients - - pharmaphorum - November 8th, 2021
- Treatment Sequencing Could Change With Complementary Combinations and CAR T Options in B-ALL - OncLive - November 8th, 2021
- Parkinson's gene therapy restores responses to dopamine-boosting drug in mouse models - FierceBiotech - November 8th, 2021
- Studies: CAR-T therapies superior to standard treatment in blood cancer - STAT - November 8th, 2021
- Salit Discusses the Use of Staging and Grading for Patients With GVHD to Choose Appropriate Treatment - Targeted Oncology - November 8th, 2021
- Orchard Therapeutics Reports Third Quarter 2021 Financial Results and Highlights Recent Business Updates - BioSpace - November 8th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Analytical Overview, Growth Factors, Demand, Trends and Forecast to 2026 - Northwest Diamond Notes - November 8th, 2021
- BioLineRx Announces an Oral Presentation and Three Poster Presentations at the 63rd American Society of Hematology (ASH) Annual Meeting &... - November 8th, 2021
- CRISPR Therapeutics Provides Business Update and Reports Third Quarter 2021 Financial Results - Yahoo Finance - November 8th, 2021
- Bacterial Infections Linked with Unapproved Stem Cell Treatments - Contagionlive.com - October 28th, 2021
- Team finds way to enhance stem cell therapy for CNS injuries - BioPharma-Reporter.com - October 28th, 2021
- Stem cell therapy can help combat common symptoms of aging - The Mountaineer - October 28th, 2021
- Stem Cells Used to Treat Avascular Necrosis of the Femoral Head - Yale School of Medicine - October 28th, 2021
- Vitti Labs Announces FDA Approval of IND Application for Phase II Clinical Trial of Combination Mesenchymal Stem Cell and Exosome Treatment of Novel... - October 28th, 2021
- Biohaven Enrolls Phase 1a/1b Clinical Trial of BHV-1100, Lead Asset from its ARM (Antibody Recruiting Molecule) Platform, in Combination with NK Cell... - October 28th, 2021
- The Power of the Immune System: New Treatment for Painful Blood Cancer Side Effect - Curetoday.com - October 28th, 2021
- Global Cell Therapy Market Research Report 2021: Opportunities with the Approval of Kymriah and Yescarta Across Various Countries -... - October 28th, 2021
- Pursuing Optimal Therapy Remains a Challenge in Indolent B-Cell Lymphoma - Targeted Oncology - October 28th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report by Cell Source, by Type, by Therapeutic Application, by End-User, by Region - Global Forecast to 2026 -... - October 16th, 2021
- Harvard's R&D alliance with Resilience to advance manufacture of complex medicines - Harvard Gazette - October 16th, 2021
- A New Line of Defense in Blood Cancer: Natural Killer Cell Therapy - Curetoday.com - October 16th, 2021
- Dr. Kahl on the Potential Utility of Frontline CAR T-Cell Therapy in MCL - OncLive - October 16th, 2021
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market By Type (Allogeneic Mesenchymal Stem Cells, Bone Marrow Transplant, Adipose Tissue Stem Cells) and By... - October 16th, 2021
- Orchard Therapeutics Outlines Comprehensive Presence at the European Society of Gene & Cell Therapy Congress - Yahoo Finance - October 16th, 2021
- Taking aim at the brain, Takeda strikes up cell therapy R&D alliance with Immusoft - MedCity News - October 16th, 2021
- Dr. Erba on the Evolution of Treatment in MCL - OncLive - October 16th, 2021
- Newer Agents for DLBCL Show Potential for Earlier Use in the Course of Treatment - Targeted Oncology - October 16th, 2021
- FDA Approves Genentech's Tecentriq as Adjuvant Treatment for Certain People With Early Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer - Business Wire - October 16th, 2021
- Worldwide Cell Therapy Consumables Industry to 2031 - Featuring Bio-Techne, Irvine Scientific and Sartorius Among Others - PRNewswire - October 16th, 2021
- International ZIM Network: SmartMed - Regenerative Solutions for the Therapies of Tomorrow - Business Wire - October 16th, 2021
- BioLineRx Announces Positive Results from Pharmacoeconomic Study Positioning Motixafortide as Potential Standard of Care in Stem Cell Mobilization -... - October 16th, 2021
- FTC Follows Through On Prioritizing Investigations Into False Advertising In Healthcare Markets - Media, Telecoms, IT, Entertainment - United States -... - October 16th, 2021
- Molecular Atlas of Small Cell Lung Cancer Reveals Unusual Cell Type That Could Explain Why Its So Aggressive - On Cancer - Memorial Sloan Kettering - October 16th, 2021
- Actress Jennifer Garner Visits with 7-Year-Old Girl Fighting B-cell Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia; What is the Treatment for This Disease? -... - October 16th, 2021
- Four-year-old girl with stage four cancer trying to get to America for clinical trial - Lancashire Telegraph - October 16th, 2021
- Stem cell & gene therapy to treat osteogenesis imperfecta: hype or hope - Open Access Government - October 5th, 2021
- Chennai-based institute to begin clinical trial on stem cell therapy for liver disease - The New Indian Express - October 5th, 2021
- "Stem cell-based therapeutics poised to become mainstream option - BSA bureau - October 5th, 2021
- Anja Health Disrupts Cord Blood Banking with Heartfelt Founding Story and Ground-Breaking Mission - Digital Journal - October 5th, 2021
- Longeveron Successfully Advancing its Cell-Based Therapy Studies in a Growing Industry Segment - Yahoo Finance - October 5th, 2021
- Ready to Treat Over 80 Life-Threatening Diseases, Discover the Potential of Cord Blood during World Cord Blood Day 2021 - PRNewswire - October 5th, 2021