Concerning heart failure (HF), the current COVID-19 pandemic is having a dramatic effect on the daily life of each individual, ranging from social distancing measures applied in most countries to getting severely diseased due to the virus. Cardiovascular Disease (CVD) is among the most common conditions in people that die of the infection. The burden of CVD accounts for over 60 million people in the EU alone, therefore, it is the leading cause of death in the world.
Although COVID-19 shows us the direct impact of a potential treatment for peoples health, CVD is a stealthy pandemic killer. HF is a chronic disease condition in which the heart is not able to fill properly or efficiently pump blood throughout your body, caused by different stress conditions including myocardial infarction, atherosclerosis, diabetes and high blood pressure. Several measures are commonly used to treat heart disease, such as lifestyle changes and medications like beta-blockers and ACE inhibitors, yet these typically only slow down the progression of the disease.
Biomedical research is exploring new avenues by combining scientific insights with new technologies to overcome chronic diseases like HF. Among the most appealing and promising technologies are the use of cardiac tissue engineering and extracellular vesicles-mediated repair strategies.
Upon an initial cell loss post-infarction, it is appealing to replace this massive loss in contractile cells for new cells and thereby not treating patients symptoms, but repairing the cause of the disease. Cardiac cell therapy has been pursued for many years with variable results in small initial trials upon injection into patients. Different cell types have been used to help the myocardium in need, but the most promising approaches aim to use induced pluripotent cells (iPS) from reprogrammed cells from the patient themselves that can be directed towards contractile myocardial cells. These cells in combination with natural materials, in which the cells are embedded in the heart, can be used for tissue engineering strategies (1). Together with different international partners, Sluijters team are trying to develop strategies to use these iPS-derived contractile cells for myocardial repair via direct myocardial injection (H2020-Technobeat-66724) or to make a scaffold that can be used as a personalised biological ventricular assist device (H2020-BRAV-874827). A combination of engineering and biology to mimic the native myocardium aims to replace the chronically ill tissue for healthy and well-coupled heart tissue that can enhance the contractile performance of the heart.
Recently, a Dutch national programme started, called RegMedXB, in which the reparative treatment of the heart is aimed to be performed outside the patients body. During the time the heart is outside the body; the patient is connected to the heart-lung machine, and after restoring function, it will be re-implanted. The so-called Cardiovascular Moonshot aims to create a therapy that best suits the individual patient, by having their heart beating in a bioreactor, outside the body. Although it sounds very futuristic, many small lessons will be learned to feet novel therapeutic insights.
The initial injection of stem cells did result in a nice improvement of myocardial performance. We have now learned that rather than these delivered cells helping the heart themselves, the release of small lipid carriers called extracellular vesicles (EVs) (2) from these cells occur. These EVs carry different biological molecules, including nucleotides, proteins and lipids, and are considered to be the bodies nanosized messengers for communication. The use of stem cell-derived EVs are now being explored as a powerful means to change the course of the disease. Via these small messengers, natural biologics are delivered to diseased cells and thereby help them to overcome the stressful circumstances. EVs carry reparative signals that can be transferred to the diseased heart and thereby change the course of heart disease in some patients.
Within the EVICARE program (3) (H2020-ERC-725229), Sluijters team are using stem cell-derived EVs to change the response of the heart to injury. Also, to understand which heart cells and processes are being affected, they use materials to facilitate a slow release of biomaterials over an extended period rather than a single dose, which is probably essential for a chronic disease like HF. For now, improved blood flow is the main aim but the team have seen other effects as well, such as cardiovascular cell proliferation (4) by which the heart cells themselves start to repair the organ.
The use of EVs basically aims to enhance the endogenous repair mechanisms of the heart. These natural carriers can be mimicked with synthetic materials, or used as a hybrid of the two, thereby creating an engineered nanoparticle, that is superior in the intracellular delivery of genetic materials. The possibility of loading different biological materials allows a further tuning of its effectiveness and use in different disease conditions, creating a new off-the-shelf delivery system for nanomedicine to treat cancer and CVD (H2020-Expert-825828).
As is true of the current COVID-19 pandemic, HF is also a growing chronic disease that affects millions of people worldwide. The chronic damaged myocardium needs reparative strategies in the future to lower the social burden for patients, but also to keep the economic consequences affordable. New scientific insights with cutting edge technological developments will help to address these needs of CVD patients and their families.
(1) Madonna R, Van Laake LW, Botker HE, Davidson SM, De Caterina R, Engel FB, Eschenhagen T, Fernandez-Aviles F, Hausenloy DJ, Hulot JS, Lecour S, Leor J, Menasch P, Pesce M, Perrino C, Prunier F, Van Linthout S, Ytrehus K, Zimmermann WH, Ferdinandy P, Sluijter JPG. ESC Working Group on Cellular Biology of the Heart: position paper for Cardiovascular Research: tissue engineering strategies combined with cell therapies for cardiac repair in ischaemic heart disease and heart failure. Cardiovasc Res. 2019 Mar 1;115(3):488-500.
(2) Sluijter JPG, Davidson SM, Boulanger, CM, Buzs EI, de Kleijn DPV, Engel FB, Giricz Z, Hausenloy DJ, Kishore R, Lecour S, Leor J, Madonna R, Perrino C, Prunier F, Sahoo S, Schiffelers RM, Schulz R, Van Laake LW, Ytrehus K, Ferdinandy P. Extracellular vesicles in diagnostics and therapy of the ischaemic heart: Position Paper from the Working Group on Cellular Biology of the Heart of the European Society of Cardiology. Cardiovasc Res. 2018 Jan 1;114(1):19-34.
(4) Maring JA, Lodder K, Mol E, Verhage V, Wiesmeijer KC, Dingenouts CKE, Moerkamp AT, Deddens JC, Vader P, Smits, AM, Sluijter JPG, Goumans MJ. Cardiac Progenitor Cell-Derived Extracellular Vesicles Reduce Infarct Size and Associate with Increased Cardiovascular Cell Proliferation. J Cardiovasc Transl Res. 2019 Feb;12(1):5-17.
Please note: this is a commercial profile.
Originally posted here:
Innovative treatments for heart failure - Open Access Government
- Co-founder Thomas Smeenk on the benefits of Hemostemix autologous stem cell therapy - InvestorIntel - January 12th, 2021
- Covid-19 Impact On Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Huge Potential in Future Growth by 2027 | Magellan, Medipost Co., Ltd, Osiris Therapeutics, Inc.,... - January 12th, 2021
- Adipose Derived Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis and Forecast, 2020-2026 Coherent Market Insights | BioRestorative Therapies, Inc., Celltex... - January 12th, 2021
- New COVID-19 Treatment Uses Stem Cells - Freethink - January 12th, 2021
- Creative Medical Technology Holdings Files Investigational New Drug Application (IND) with FDA for Treatment of Stroke using ImmCelz Regenerative... - January 12th, 2021
- Global Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market 2020 Dynamics Analysis, Size Witness Growth Acceleration During 2025 - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - January 12th, 2021
- Gamida Cell to Present Full Data from Phase 3 Study of Omidubicel at TCT, the Combined Transplantation and Cellular Therapy Meetings of ASTCT and... - January 12th, 2021
- Cate Dyer of StemExpress is Named Businesswoman of the Year! - PRNewswire - January 12th, 2021
- Adocia Files Patent on a Hydrogel Scaffold for Cell Therapy in the Treatment of Type 1 Diabetes - Business Wire - January 12th, 2021
- Gene Therapy Market Estimated to Record Highest CAGR by 2024 - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - January 12th, 2021
- Stem cell treatment corrects skull shape and restores brain function in mouse model of childhood disorder - National Institutes of Health - January 9th, 2021
- Doctors Make Medical Breakthrough In Treating Severe Cases Of COVID - CBS New York - January 9th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Report 2020: Market to Recover and Reach $14.76 Billion in 2023 at a CAGR of 19.62% - Forecast to 2030 - Yahoo Finance - January 9th, 2021
- Engineered stem cells that evade immune detection could boost cell therapy and I-O - FierceBiotech - January 9th, 2021
- BENEV Announces Investigative Report on Combination Treatment with Human Adipose Tissue Stem Cell- derived Exosomes and Fractional CO2 Laser for Acne... - January 9th, 2021
- Four promising COVID-19 therapies being tested at nearby UVA - Rappahannock News - January 9th, 2021
- MCL Landscape Adapts to Changes After CAR T-Cell Therapy Approval - OncLive - January 9th, 2021
- Regenerative Medicine Market to Reach Valuation US$ 23.7 Bn by 2027 - GlobeNewswire - January 9th, 2021
- Unlocking The Unlimited Potential Of Stem Cells - CodeBlue - January 9th, 2021
- Stem Cell Treatment Proving Highly Successful In Treating Most Severe Cases Of COVID - Yahoo News - January 9th, 2021
- Factor Bioscience spins out a new cell therapy player with eyes on the clinic within 2 years - Endpoints News - January 9th, 2021
- Comparison of the efficiency, safety, and survival outcomes in two stem cell mobilization regimens with cyclophosphamide plus G-CSF or G-CSF alone in... - January 9th, 2021
- Top 10 ALS Stories of 2020 - ALS News Today - January 9th, 2021
- Celularity and GX Acquisition Corp. Announce Merger Agreement to Create a Publicly Listed Leader in Allogeneic Cellular Therapy - BioSpace - January 9th, 2021
- Results Show Promising Efficacy in MCL With Next-Generation BTK Inhibitor LOXO-305 - Cancer Network - January 9th, 2021
- BlueRock Therapeutics in Collaboration with Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center Receives IND Clearance for DA01 in Parkinson's Disease - BioSpace - January 9th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Product Types, And Applications Forecast To 2026 - Farming Sector - January 5th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market by Treatment,Application,End Users and Geography Forecast To 2027 - LionLowdown - January 5th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis, COVID-19 Impact,Outlook, Opportunities, Size, Share Forecast and Supply Demand 2021-2025 - Farming Sector - January 5th, 2021
- AGC Biologics Confirms Cell and Gene Therapy Commercial Expertise as Manufacturer of Orchard Therapeutics' Newly Approved Libmeldy - PRNewswire - January 5th, 2021
- Forge Biologics Announces FDA Clearance of Investigational New Drug Application for Phase 1/2 Clinical Trial (RESKUE) of FBX-101 Gene Therapy for... - January 5th, 2021
- MorphoSys and Incyte Announce the Acceptance of the Swissmedic Marketing Authorization Application f - PharmiWeb.com - January 5th, 2021
- Healthcare resource utilization and costs among patients with relapsed and/or refractory multiple myeloma treated with proteasome inhibitors in... - January 5th, 2021
- Global Circulating Tumor Cells and Cancer Stem Cells Market To Reach A New Threshold of Growth By 2026 - The Courier - January 5th, 2021
- Catheters Market: Europe and North America Emerge as Leading Regional Market with Well-established Healthcare Infrastructure - BioSpace - January 5th, 2021
- The Worldwide Cell Isolation/Cell Separation Industry is Expected to Grow at a CAGR of 16.8% Between 2020 to 2025 - PRNewswire - January 5th, 2021
- Near-infrared oxidative phosphorylation inhibitor integrates acute myeloid leukemiatargeted imaging and therapy - Science Advances - January 5th, 2021
- Global Cell Therapy Market Report 2020: Market to Recover in 2023 - PRNewswire - January 3rd, 2021
- Lonza's Cocoon will soon make dozens of stem cell therapies all at once - Innovation Origins - January 3rd, 2021
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell Derived Human Lung Organoids to Map and Treat the SARS-CoV2 Infections In Vitro - DocWire News - January 3rd, 2021
- Creative Medical Technology Holdings Announces Patent filing based on Preclinical Data in Model of Heart Attack using ImmCelz Regenerative... - January 3rd, 2021
- Haywards Heath carer trying to raise funds for MS treatment - The Argus - January 3rd, 2021
- Chronic graft-versus-host disease in children and adolescents with thalassemia after hematopoietic stem cell transplantation - DocWire News - January 3rd, 2021
- COVID-19-positive cancer patients undergoing active anticancer treatment: An analysis of clinical features and outcomes - DocWire News - January 3rd, 2021
- Cell Therapy Market 2020-2026 by Growth, Demand and Upcoming Business Opportunities - Farming Sector - January 3rd, 2021
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market Latest Trends and Future Growth Study by 2029 - Farming Sector - December 31st, 2020
- Creative Medical Technology Holdings Announces Reversion of Liver Failure Using ImmCelz Personalized Cellular Immunotherapy in Preclinical Model -... - December 31st, 2020
- Impacts of COVID 19 on Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Size, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 - Factory Gate - December 31st, 2020
- Efficacy and safety of mesenchymal stem cells for the treatment of patients infected with COVID-19: a systematic review and meta-analysis protocol -... - December 31st, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Industry 2021 In-depth Market Analysis and Recent Developments, Share, Revenue and Forecast 2025 | Anterogen Co. Inc.... - December 31st, 2020
- Nociceptive neurons shown to boost hematopoiesis | 2020-12-28 - BioWorld Online - December 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020: Demand Analysis, Key Players, Trends, Sales, Supply, Deployment Model, Segments, Organization Size, Production, Revenue... - December 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market (COVID-19 Analysis) 2020-2025 Is Booming Worldwide with Comprehensive Study Explores Huge Revenue Scope in Future - Farming... - December 28th, 2020
- Humanigen Secures US Patent for Lenzilumab in Preventing Cytokine Storm and Neurotoxicity Related to CAR-T Cell Therapy - BioSpace - December 28th, 2020
- Immunotherapy Continues on Positive Trajectory in Lymphoid Malignancies - OncLive - December 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size 2020 | Opportunities, Regional Overview, Top Leaders, Revenue and Forecast to 2025 - LionLowdown - December 28th, 2020
- Adipose Derived Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Analysis, Growth, Size, Shares, Drivers, Advancements, Challenges, Sophisticated Demand & Key... - December 28th, 2020
- Stem cells from cord blood can now be used across many conditions: Mayur Abhaya, MD & CEO, LifeCell Internat.. - ETHealthworld.com - December 28th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on NK Cell Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy Market 2021 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2027 | Chipscreen... - December 28th, 2020
- The Top 5 Most-Read Oncology Stories of 2020 - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - December 28th, 2020
- Adipose Tissue-derived Stem Cell Therapy Market Share Analysis, Application, Strategies of Key Players & Forecast to 2025 - Factory Gate - December 28th, 2020
- Study clarifies the impact of getting old on hematopoietic stem cells - Microbioz India - December 28th, 2020
- Report On Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market to 2026: (Industry Insights, Company Overview and Investment Analysis) - Farming Sector - December 24th, 2020
- Six Benefits of All-on-4 Implants Compared to Regular Dentures - Magazine of Santa Clarita - December 24th, 2020
- Allogeneic SCT Benefits Children and Adolescents With Relapsed Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma - OncLive - December 24th, 2020
- Stem cells in the brain remain active and divide over months - News Landed - December 24th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market 2026 by Product Type, Applications, Manufacturers, Revenue, Price, Share and Growth Rate & Forecast -... - December 24th, 2020
- Exclusive Research on Stem Cell Therapy Products Market 2020 Segments, Regions, Strategy Analysis: Mesoblast, TiGenix, Osiris - LionLowdown - December 24th, 2020
- Heterogenous Nature of MDS Warrants Further Research, Review Finds - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - December 24th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Shows 2-year Benefit for Progressive MS Patients in Phase 1 Trial - Multiple Sclerosis News Today - December 19th, 2020
- Dr Clarence Moore Discusses the Importance of Stem Cell Therapy, Heart Health in Beta Thalassemia - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - December 19th, 2020
- For Patients With HMA-Resistant MDS, What Are Their Options? - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - December 19th, 2020
- The Adrenomyeloneuropathy Treatment Market to grow on an emphatic note from 2019 to 2029 - PharmiWeb.com - December 19th, 2020
- Are Hiccups a Sign of the New Coronavirus? - Healthline - December 19th, 2020
- Every Patient Treated With CRISPR Gene Therapy for Blood Diseases Continues to Thrive, More Than a Year On - Good News Network - December 19th, 2020
- Therapeutic Solutions International Files Investigational New Drug Application (IND) with FDA for Treatment of Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy Using... - December 18th, 2020
- Physio Logic Brings Cutting-edge Regenerative Treatments for Sport Injuries and Arthritis to New York City - PRNewswire - December 18th, 2020
- AlloVir Announces FDA Clearance of Investigational New Drug Application for ALVR106, an Allogeneic, Off-the-Shelf, Multi-Virus Specific T Cell Therapy... - December 18th, 2020
- ONK Therapeutics Announces Three Exclusive Option License Agreements, Which Extend and Strengthen its Dual-Targeted NK Cell Therapy Pipeline -... - December 18th, 2020
- Mesoblast shares fall on trials mixed results with heart injection treatment - Stockhead - December 18th, 2020