Hi, I'm Peter Martin. I'm the Chief of the Lymphoma Program at Weill Cornell Medicine in New York. My colleagues and I were interested in how our patients with mantle cell lymphoma (are) actually treated in the United States. We have seen over the past decade a lot of significant improvements in the outcomes of patients with mantle cell lymphoma in clinical trials.
The real question that comes up though is, How do the results of those clinical trials translate into practices that are using the therapies that are defined in clinical trials as they are defined. What are the outcomes that we're getting in those patients who are being treated outside of clinical trials, mostly in community practices in the United States?
We used the deidentified database derived from electronic medical records in the Flatiron database with a statistician, who did an excellent job. We came up with a series of questions.
One, what are the patterns of care that are being used in the United States in these practices? Two, what are the outcomes of patients being treated in these practices? Three, how is stem cell transplantation being used, and what are the outcomes of patients who receive stem cell transplantation compared to patients who do not receive stem cell transplantation?
Separately, Dr. Gilles A. Salles evaluated the role of rituximab maintenance using the same deidentified Flatiron electronic medical record database, and those data are being presented at EHA.
What we found was that, in general, there was less use of standard treatment regimens that you might think would be a case. This could be a variety of reasons. One is there may be insufficient communication regarding what standard treatments should be used. That's one possibility. Another possibility is that the treatment regimens that are being developed may not apply to the broad set of people who develop mantle cell lymphoma in the United States, either related to comorbidy conditions, age, geography, or other socioeconomic factors.
As a researcher who spends a lot of time thinking about how to treat people with mantle cell lymphoma better, one of the takehome messages that I've learned from this study is that it doesn't make sense to develop a regimen that can't be administered broadly in the United States. There are a lot of good regimens.
If they can only be administered in academic settings, then we're really ignoring the majority of people with mantle cell lymphoma. As researchers, we can do a better job developing regimens that are applicable more broadly to people with mantle cell lymphoma. Those regimens should focus on practicability in addition to efficacy and safety.
Whenever you look at deidentified health record data, there's always a chance that there are some biases. For example, we don't have response rates. A lot of these factors could impact the results in one way or another, overcome that to some degree by having a large number, in this case, over 4,000 patients to start with.
But really, the key when you're looking at data like this is to trying to focusing on certain key questions and then to validate those questions in other databases, ideally, separate databases for different countries or different types of medical records. That's what we're hoping to do in the next step.
One of the findings that is most relevant from my perspective was we are finding that amongst patients who we defined, in this case, a stem cell transplant eligible and there are debates about how that should be done. In those patients, we did not find a significant advantage through the use of stem cell transplantation.
Now, there are at least 2 ongoing large randomized clinical trials in the United States and in Europe that are evaluating stem cell transplant. Ultimately, if we are going to rule out stem cell transplantation in the world, we need to have the results of those clinical trials.
As we increasingly find large datasets like this one, Flatiron dataset, showing that there may not be an advantage to stem cell transplantation, I think as researchers, we need to start coming up with treatments that might be applicable to younger patients that don't use stem cell transplantation.
We need to be prepared to move forward with regimens that are reasonable, effective, and welltolerated that maybe don't use stem cell transplantation so that when those large clinical trials read out, we're ready to take those trials into the next phase of large randomized trials.
View original post here:
Improvements in the Treatment of Patients With MCL Over the Past Decade - Oncology Learning Network
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report by Cell Source, by Type, by Therapeutic Application, by End-User, by Region - Global Forecast to 2026 -... - October 16th, 2021
- Harvard's R&D alliance with Resilience to advance manufacture of complex medicines - Harvard Gazette - October 16th, 2021
- A New Line of Defense in Blood Cancer: Natural Killer Cell Therapy - Curetoday.com - October 16th, 2021
- Dr. Kahl on the Potential Utility of Frontline CAR T-Cell Therapy in MCL - OncLive - October 16th, 2021
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market By Type (Allogeneic Mesenchymal Stem Cells, Bone Marrow Transplant, Adipose Tissue Stem Cells) and By... - October 16th, 2021
- Orchard Therapeutics Outlines Comprehensive Presence at the European Society of Gene & Cell Therapy Congress - Yahoo Finance - October 16th, 2021
- Taking aim at the brain, Takeda strikes up cell therapy R&D alliance with Immusoft - MedCity News - October 16th, 2021
- Dr. Erba on the Evolution of Treatment in MCL - OncLive - October 16th, 2021
- Newer Agents for DLBCL Show Potential for Earlier Use in the Course of Treatment - Targeted Oncology - October 16th, 2021
- FDA Approves Genentech's Tecentriq as Adjuvant Treatment for Certain People With Early Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer - Business Wire - October 16th, 2021
- Worldwide Cell Therapy Consumables Industry to 2031 - Featuring Bio-Techne, Irvine Scientific and Sartorius Among Others - PRNewswire - October 16th, 2021
- International ZIM Network: SmartMed - Regenerative Solutions for the Therapies of Tomorrow - Business Wire - October 16th, 2021
- BioLineRx Announces Positive Results from Pharmacoeconomic Study Positioning Motixafortide as Potential Standard of Care in Stem Cell Mobilization -... - October 16th, 2021
- FTC Follows Through On Prioritizing Investigations Into False Advertising In Healthcare Markets - Media, Telecoms, IT, Entertainment - United States -... - October 16th, 2021
- Molecular Atlas of Small Cell Lung Cancer Reveals Unusual Cell Type That Could Explain Why Its So Aggressive - On Cancer - Memorial Sloan Kettering - October 16th, 2021
- Actress Jennifer Garner Visits with 7-Year-Old Girl Fighting B-cell Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia; What is the Treatment for This Disease? -... - October 16th, 2021
- Four-year-old girl with stage four cancer trying to get to America for clinical trial - Lancashire Telegraph - October 16th, 2021
- Stem cell & gene therapy to treat osteogenesis imperfecta: hype or hope - Open Access Government - October 5th, 2021
- Chennai-based institute to begin clinical trial on stem cell therapy for liver disease - The New Indian Express - October 5th, 2021
- "Stem cell-based therapeutics poised to become mainstream option - BSA bureau - October 5th, 2021
- Anja Health Disrupts Cord Blood Banking with Heartfelt Founding Story and Ground-Breaking Mission - Digital Journal - October 5th, 2021
- Longeveron Successfully Advancing its Cell-Based Therapy Studies in a Growing Industry Segment - Yahoo Finance - October 5th, 2021
- Ready to Treat Over 80 Life-Threatening Diseases, Discover the Potential of Cord Blood during World Cord Blood Day 2021 - PRNewswire - October 5th, 2021
- Transforming Growth Factor Sales Gaining Traction & to reach US$ 709.9 Mn with Significant Development in Cell Therapy Research - PRNewswire - October 5th, 2021
- StemExpress Partners with the Alliance for Regenerative Medicine to Provide COVID-19 Testing for the Cell and Gene Meeting on the Mesa - WITN - October 5th, 2021
- Brazil investigates the use of stem cells in the treatment of covid-19 The Clare People - The Clare People - October 5th, 2021
- Indianapolis mother gives 13-year-old son with sickle cell disease a 2nd chance at life - WTHR - October 5th, 2021
- US FDA Approves Kite's Tecartus as the First and Only Car T for Adults With Relapsed or Refractory B-cell Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia | DNA RNA and... - October 5th, 2021
- Lack of awareness about blood stem cell donation is one of the leading causes for low number of donors in In.. - ETHealthworld.com - October 5th, 2021
- 'Survivor' winner Ethan Zohn opens up about his cancer battle: I was a healthy, young guy. You never expect it to be you. - Yahoo Life - October 5th, 2021
- The Best Skincare Treatments For Time-Crunched Moms (Or Anyone Else Who Only Has Five Minutes To Spare) - Forbes - October 5th, 2021
- [PDF] Stem Cell Therapy Market Size Strong Revenue and Generated Opportunities UNLV The Rebel Yell - UNLV The Rebel Yell - August 31st, 2021
- Mike Tysons weird stem cell treatment has helped transform incredible body at 55 - Daily Star - August 31st, 2021
- Acute Monocytic Leukemia: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment - Healthline - August 31st, 2021
- UC Davis and the School of Medicine set new records in research funding - UC Davis Health - August 31st, 2021
- NCCN Issues Updated Guidelines Regarding Third COVID-19 Vaccine Booster for Those With Cancer - Cancer Network - August 31st, 2021
- DHEC Supports Awareness and Education during National Sickle Cell Awareness Month - SCDHEC - August 31st, 2021
- The emerging roles of the gut microbiome in allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation - DocWire News - August 31st, 2021
- Global Cryopreservation Equipment Market Report 2021-2028 - Growing Acceptance for Regenerative Medicine & Increasing Needs of Biobanking... - August 31st, 2021
- Operational Highlights and Financial Results for the Year Ended June 30, 2021 - GlobeNewswire - August 31st, 2021
- Event to benefit 2 families with kids fighting cancer - Youngstown Vindicator - August 31st, 2021
- Cryo-Cell International Announces Uplisting to The Nasdaq Capital Market - GlobeNewswire - August 31st, 2021
- Incyte and MorphoSys Announce the European Commission Approval of Minjuvi (tafasitamab) in Combination With Lenalidomide for the Treatment of Adults... - August 31st, 2021
- Thomas Smeenk with an update on the FDA Phase II clinical trial program of the Hemostemix blood-derived, stem cell therapeutics product (ACP-01) -... - August 31st, 2021
- 2021 Pipeline Insight Report on Myocardial Infarction - Featuring AstraZeneca, Mesoblast and Boehringer Ingelheim Among Others -... - August 31st, 2021
- Mini brains grown in the lab sprout primitive eyes - Freethink - August 31st, 2021
- BeiGene and EUSA Pharma Announce China NMPA Approval of QARZIBA (Dinutuximab Beta) for Patients With High-Risk Neuroblastoma - Business Wire - August 18th, 2021
- Study Calls for COVID-19 Vaccination in Patients With Cancer to Enable Optimal Treatment Delivery During Pandemic - OncLive - August 18th, 2021
- Treatment of AML in Older Patients Almost At 'The Holy Grail' - Curetoday.com - August 18th, 2021
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Identify Key Drivers, Trends, Latest Innovations, Business Senario, Demand With Outlook by 2026 - The Market Writeuo -... - August 18th, 2021
- 8 Tips for Coping With a Diagnosis of PPMS - Everyday Health - August 18th, 2021
- More positive results from CRISPR trial for sickle cell and thalassaemia - BioNews - August 18th, 2021
- Belumosudil Granted Full Approval for Treatment of Chronic GVHD by FDA - Cancer Network - July 22nd, 2021
- Dr. Martin on the Role of Maintenance Therapy With Rituximab in MCL July 15th 2021 Peter - OncLive - July 22nd, 2021
- FDA tells Magenta to pump the brakes on blood cancer trial before it starts to develop new dosing test - FierceBiotech - July 22nd, 2021
- Stemson Therapeutics Secures $15M Series A Funding to Cure Hair Loss - Business Wire - July 22nd, 2021
- Events planned to support 5-year-old's cancer treatments - The Augusta Chronicle - July 22nd, 2021
- HER2-Specific CAR T Cells Induce Early Efficacy Without Dose-Limiting Toxicities in Pediatric CNS Tumors - OncLive - July 22nd, 2021
- A mother's love: Two years after devastating crash, Abby Roby has hope - London Free Press (Blogs) - July 22nd, 2021
- Roswell Park Team Shows Dendritic-Cell Vaccines Can Be Paired With Standard Therapy for Breast Cancer - Newswise - July 22nd, 2021
- Introducing the 3D bioprinted neural tissues with the potential to 'cure' human paralysis - 3D Printing Industry - July 22nd, 2021
- Investing in stem cells, the building blocks of the body - MoneyWeek - June 25th, 2021
- Discrepancies Between Real-World Patterns of Care and Recommendations Based on Clinical Trials Exist in MCL - OncLive - June 25th, 2021
- Catalent to Acquire RheinCell Therapeutics, Strengthening a Path Towards Industrialization of Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell-based Therapies - PR Web - June 25th, 2021
- Disparities in Utilization of Autologous Stem Cell Transplantation as Consolidative Therapy for Multiple Myeloma: A Single Institution Retrospective... - June 25th, 2021
- Vita Therapeutics Raises $32 Million in Oversubscribed Series A Financing Led by Cambrian Biopharma to Advance the Development of Therapies to Treat... - June 25th, 2021
- Updates in the treatment of peripheral T-cell lymphomas | JEP - Dove Medical Press - June 25th, 2021
- Novel Tafasitamab Combination Finds a Role in Second-line DLBCL Treatment - Targeted Oncology - June 25th, 2021
- Global Nerve Repair and Regeneration Devices Market to Reach $11. 8 Billion by 2026 - GlobeNewswire - June 25th, 2021
- 5 potential benefits of exosome treatment - AZ Big Media - June 8th, 2021
- Orion and the Blood Service launch collaboration to develop new CAR T-cell cancer therapy - Yahoo Finance Australia - June 8th, 2021
- Novo Nordisk partners with Heartseed on heart failure cell therapy - PMLiVE - June 8th, 2021
- Citius Pharmaceuticals to be Added to Russell 2000 Index - BioSpace - June 8th, 2021
- IN8bio Completes Treatment of First Cohort in Phase 1 Clinical Trial with Gamma Delta T-Cell Therapy in Patients with Newly Diagnosed Glioblastoma... - June 8th, 2021
- Regenerative medicine: moving next-gen treatments from lab to clinic - Pharmaceutical Technology - June 8th, 2021
- Global $30+ Billion Cell Therapy Bioprocessing Market to 2028: Market Opportunities in Automated Procedures to Produce Cell Therapies - PRNewswire - June 8th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell & Regenerative Medicine Market Report Forecast to 2027 3M Group Novartis AG Integra Gene Therapies The Manomet Current - The... - June 8th, 2021
- Novel CAR-T Cell Therapy Produces Early and Deep Responses in Certain Patients with Multiple Myeloma - Curetoday.com - June 8th, 2021
- BioRestorative Therapies to Present at the Emerging Growth Conference on June 9, 2021 - StreetInsider.com - June 8th, 2021
- Innovent Biologics and IASO Biotherapeutics to Present Updated Data from its Anti-BCMA CAR-T Therapy in Relapsed/Refractory Multiple Myeloma at... - June 8th, 2021