Tumors often fuel their growth by forming new blood vessels to provide oxygen and nutrients. Widely used drugs directed against VEGF or VEGFR inhibit this process. Unfortunately, though, those drugs have failed to rein in the aggressive brain cancer glioblastoma.
Nowscientists at the University of Pennsylvania have demonstrated that targeting a mechanism in a subset of stromal cells known as endothelial cellswhich line the inside of blood vesselsmight help overcome drug resistance in glioblastoma. They believe the finding could point to a new therapeutic strategy to make these malignant cancer cells vulnerable to chemotherapy.
The team found that a mechanism within the well-known Wnt/beta-catenin signaling pathway causes endothelial cells to act morelike stem cells, leading to an abnormal growth of blood vessels that makes brain cancer cells resistant to treatment. Blocking Wnt/beta-catenin sensitized glioblastoma (GBM) to chemotherapy in mice, according to a new study published in Science Translational Medicine.
Accelerate Clinical Operations Across Sponsors, CROs and Partners With a Best-of-Breed Partner Like Box
Learn how Box is a critical force multiplier in the Best-of-Breed application stack with partners like Nintex, DocuSign and Slack in supporting clinical operations for both regulated and non-regulated content.
GBM is difficult to treat partly because the tumors themselves often harbor different mutations, which makes treatments focused on one molecular target ineffective. So the UPenn team, led by Yi Fan, M.D., Ph.D., lookedbeyond particular genetic abnormalities in different groups of cancer cells and instead focused on overcoming resistance.
Fan's team searched GBM endothelial cells for the regulatory mechanisms that control chemoresistance, and found increased activation of multiple stem cell-associated transcriptional factors. The upregulation of these factors allowed the cells to propagate and also correlated with cell resistance to the widely used chemotherapy drug temozolomide (TMZ).
RELATED: Immuno-oncology combo targeting rogue enzyme in glioblastoma extends survival in mice
Further analysis revealed that the resistance is enabled by the Wnt/beta-catenin pathway, which regulates stem cell renewal. Its abnormal activation has perviously been linked to multiple cancer types.
In mice that had their endothelial cell-specific beta-catenin knocked out, treatment with TMZ cut tumor volume by 90%, whereas treating normal mice only slowed tumor growth. In a mouse model of GBM, the researchers combined Wnt inhibitor XAV939 with TMZ and significantly extended survival when compared to animals that got either drug alone.
Theres huge demand for better treatment options for GBM, as the diseases five-year survival rate remains low at around 5% to 10%. Researchers at the MD Anderson Cancer Center recently foundthat blocking the immune-suppressing enzyme CD73 could add benefits to inhibiting the immune checkpoints PD-1 and CTLA-4 in GBM. And ateam at Cedars-Sinai developed a polymer scaffold to deliver either one of these two types of checkpoint inhibitors cross the blood-brain barrier directly to brain tumor sites.
Ziopharm Oncology used its experimental drug veledimex to boost the immune response to IL-12 gene therapy. Investigators recently found signs of positive responses of the regimen among a small group of patients with recurrent glioblastoma.
Fan believes his teams approach of using Wnt inhibitors to block endothelial cells boasts several advantages over directly attacking cancer cells. For one thing, treating these stromal cells would get at the root cause of tumor survival. Secondly, because it doesnt aim for genetic markers, it should remain effective even after tumors mutate.
Because stromal cells have a more stable genome, they will not mutate the way cancer cells do, meaning secondary resistance is unlikely, Fan said in a statement. The team now hopes to test the method in a clinical trial.
- Mount Sinai Leading the Way in Innovative Stem Cell Therapy for COVID-19 Patients - Newswise - April 9th, 2020
- First Stem Cell Clinical Trial for Protection Against COVID-19 Approved by FDA - HospiMedica - April 9th, 2020
- Moving toward Nonchemotherapy-Based Approaches in Follicular Lymphoma - Cancer Network - April 9th, 2020
- Seneca Biopharma Announces Results of Meeting with FDA Regarding the Design of Phase 3 Trial for NSI-566 in ALS - P&T Community - April 9th, 2020
- Immunotherapy After Chemotherapy Improves Outcomes in Metastatic Bladder Cancer - Curetoday.com - April 9th, 2020
- Celularity Expands Strategic Collaboration with United Therapeutics Corporation to COVID-19 Infection and Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome - Yahoo... - April 9th, 2020
- UCSD To Advance Stem Cell Therapies in New Space Station Lab - Technology Networks - April 9th, 2020
- Convalescent plasma therapy useful in treating COVID-19 - Anadolu Ajans - April 9th, 2020
- Stempeutics partners with Global Consortium of cell therapy companies - BSI bureau - April 9th, 2020
- DNA Repair Gene-Related CHIP Is a Marker for Worse Outcomes in Patients With Lymphoma - Cancer Therapy Advisor - April 9th, 2020
- Canadian Company STEMCELL Technologies Is an Essential Industry Partner for COVID-19 Research and Vaccine Development - Financial Post - April 8th, 2020
- SNUH team finds causal gene of inherited retinal disorder - Korea Biomedical Review - April 8th, 2020
- FDA Accepts IND for NK Cell Therapy CYNK-001 to Treat Patients with COVID-19 - Cancer Network - April 8th, 2020
- Fate Therapeutics Strikes Multi-Billion Dollar Cell Therapy Deal with Janssen - BioSpace - April 8th, 2020
- Beam Therapeutics Licenses SIRION Biotech's LentiBOOST Technology for its CAR-T pipeline - Business Wire - April 8th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Stem Cell Therapy Identify Which Types of Companies Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the Impact of COVID-19 - Science... - April 8th, 2020
- Nurses life-saving stem cell transplant leaves her with an addiction to Monster Munch just like her don - The Sun - April 8th, 2020
- Covid-19 Impact on Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market (2020-2026) - Science In Me - April 8th, 2020
- CYTOVIA Therapeutics and MACROMOLTEK to Develop Dual-Acting Natural Killer Immunotherapy Against SARS CoV2 (COVID-19) - GlobeNewswire - April 8th, 2020
- Coronavirus Update: Cell Therapy Reportedly Appears Promising To Beat COVID-19 - International Business Times - April 7th, 2020
- panCELLa receives research and development support for cell therapy - Yahoo Finance - April 7th, 2020
- Relief Therapeutics (RLF:SIX) Drug Aviptadil Enters FDA Trial at University of Miami, to Treat COVID-19-induced Respiratory Distress - Yahoo Finance - April 7th, 2020
- Stempeutics partners with Global Consortium of cell therapy companies - Express Healthcare - April 7th, 2020
- CYTOVIA Therapeutics and MACROMOLTEK to Develop Dual-Acting Natural Killer Immunotherapy Against SARS CoV2 (COVID-19) - BioSpace - April 7th, 2020
- Stem Cell Network Warns that Claims of Stem Cell Treatments for COVID-19 Are Unfounded and Misleading - Benzinga - April 2nd, 2020
- FibroGenesis Files Expanded Patent Coverage for its Fibroblast Cell Therapy to treat Coronavirus (COVID-19) ARDS - Yahoo Finance - April 2nd, 2020
- Cork man shares hacks for isolation that stopped him from 'going insane' - Echo Live - April 2nd, 2020
- Notice Regarding Business Alliance Between Sanbio and Ocumension in the Research, Development and Commercialization of Innovative Stem Cell Therapies... - April 2nd, 2020
- Designer, injectable gels to prevent transplanted Schwann cell loss during spinal cord injury therapy - Science Advances - April 2nd, 2020
- David Setboun Joins BrainStorm as Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer - GlobeNewswire - April 2nd, 2020
- Global Cell Therapy Technologies Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast (2019-2026) - Publicist360 - April 2nd, 2020
- CytoDyn Files a Clinical Trial Protocol with the FDA to Treat Severely Ill COVID-19 Patients with Leronlimab where the Primary Endpoint is Mortality... - April 2nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Network Warns that Claims of Stem Cell Treatments for COVID-19 Are Unfounded and Misleading - GlobeNewswire - March 31st, 2020
- ElevateBio reels in $170M to push 6 cell, gene therapy programs - FierceBiotech - March 31st, 2020
- Stem Cells, Nerves Found to Interact in Cancer Progression - Pharmacy Times - March 31st, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market by Players, Types and Applications with In-Depth Research On Industry Size ... - The Financial News Daily - March 31st, 2020
- Blood donors in high demand - Dominion Post - The Dominion Post - March 29th, 2020
- Reversing The Ageing Process With Stem Cell Therapy - Version Weekly - March 29th, 2020
- Positive Opinion from European Medicines Agency for Sanofi's Isatuximab in R/R Multiple Myeloma - OncoZine - March 28th, 2020
- Global Autologous Cell Therapy Market 2020-2024 | Evolving Opportunities with Bayer AG and Brainstorm Cell Therapeutics Inc. | Technavio - Business... - March 28th, 2020
- Global Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation (HSCT) Market 2020-2024 | Evolving Opportunities with AllCells Corp. and bluebird bio Inc. | Technavio... - March 28th, 2020
- HIV/AIDS cure: Second patient confirmed HIV-free and here's the treatment that cured him - EconoTimes - March 28th, 2020
- Donald Trump Is Using An Insanely Sketchy Newsletter To Find Campaign Donors - The Union Journal - March 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market 2020 | Growing Rapidly with Significant CAGR, Leading Players, Innovative Trends and Expected Revenue by 2026 -... - March 28th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Dynamics, Segments and Supply Demand 2029 - Packaging News 24 - March 28th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell and Gene Therapy Biological Testing Market (2019 to 2025) - Potential Growth Opportunities and Areas of Focus -... - March 27th, 2020
- Non-Profit Offers Free Stem Cell Therapy to Veterans - Pain News Network - March 27th, 2020
- Vitro Biopharma First Quarter ended January 31, 2020 Financial Results of Operations - Yahoo Finance - March 27th, 2020
- Kalytera Therapeutics: improving bone marrow transplants with CBD - Health Europa - March 27th, 2020
- A new way to study HIV's impact on the brain - Penn: Office of University Communications - March 27th, 2020
- HKBU Collaborates with Golden Meditech to Conduct Cell Therapy Research - QS WOW News - March 27th, 2020
- Medigene Provides Results for Fiscal Year 2019 and Outlook - Yahoo Finance - March 26th, 2020
- What Does It Mean to Be Immunocompromised? - Dana-Farber Cancer Institute - March 26th, 2020
- Oscar Saxelby-Lee gets 'super cells' after having stem cell transplant from dad to fight off cancer - Ledbury Reporter - March 26th, 2020
- Study Shows Development of Young Cells Could be New Option in Cancer Care - BioSpace - March 26th, 2020
- Bone Therapeutics appoints Stefanos Theoharis as Chief Business Officer - Yahoo Finance - March 26th, 2020
- Uni kit to help with virus tests - Kent Online - March 26th, 2020
- Old human cells rejuvenated with stem cell technology - Stanford Medical Center Report - March 25th, 2020
- Can cell-based therapy be helpful in tackling coronavirus? - YourStory - March 25th, 2020
- YOUR HEALTH: A rare disease that hardens the skin - WQAD.com - March 25th, 2020
- Rationales for Selecting CD19-Targeted Therapy in R/R B-Cell ALL - Cancer Therapy Advisor - March 25th, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Bandera County Courier - March 24th, 2020
- Global Autologous Cell Therapy Market 2020-2024 | Evolving Opportunities with Bayer AG and Brainstorm Cell Therapeutics Inc. | Technavio - Yahoo... - March 24th, 2020
- Clinical trial to find effective Covid-19 treatments gets underway - Nursing Times - March 24th, 2020
- Pipeline: Investigational Therapies for COVID-19 - The Cardiology Advisor - March 24th, 2020
- Mentoring is a gift, asking for help a blessing - The Jewish News of Northern California - March 24th, 2020
- The Global Autologous Cell Therapy Market is expected to grow by USD 1.97 bn during 2020-2024, progressing at a CAGR of 22% during the forecast period... - March 24th, 2020
- The Forefront of Treating Hair Loss in Women - Yahoo Lifestyle - March 24th, 2020
- Two Additional Coronavirus Patients Treated at Leading New York Hospital with CytoDyn's Leronlimab, Bringing the Total to Four Patients - Associated... - March 24th, 2020
- Regulatory authorities approve JTA Phase III study in osteoarthritic knee pain and ALLOB Phase IIb study in difficult fractures | DNA RNA and Cells |... - March 24th, 2020
- Platelet Rich Plasma and Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment size in terms of volume and value 2019-2022 - Daily Science - March 24th, 2020
- Bone Therapeutics receives Clinical Trial Application (CTA) approval for next clinical studies of its two lead candidates - GlobeNewswire - March 24th, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Booming by Size, Revenue and Top Growing Companies APEX Biologix, Belgravia Center, RepliCel, Riken Research... - March 20th, 2020
- His Immune System Went Out of Whack. The Usual Treatment Didnt Work. Why? - The New York Times - March 18th, 2020
- China reports new progress in drug, therapies against Covid-19 - The Star Online - March 18th, 2020
- Imfinzi in Combination with Standard-of-Care Chemotherapies Improves Survival in Lung Cancer - Curetoday.com - March 18th, 2020
- What Are Drug Prevention and Treatment Options for COVID-19? - Pharmacy Times - March 18th, 2020
- Tessa Therapeutics to launch first CAR-T therapy for Hodgkin's lymphoma (HL) - BSA bureau - March 18th, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics Appoints Company Founder and Gene Therapy Pioneer Bobby Gaspar, MD, Ph.D., as New Chief Executive Officer - BioSpace - March 18th, 2020
- Fate Therapeutics: Potential Catalysts Ahead - Seeking Alpha - March 18th, 2020