During the Targeted Oncology Case Based Peer Perspectives event, Javier L. Munoz, MD, Hematologist/Oncologist Director, Lymphoma Program Mayo Clinic, discussed the case of 60-year-old patient with peripheral T-cell lymphoma (PTCL).
Targeted Oncology: What are the standard regimens in treating T-cell lymphoma?
MUNOZ: Historically, we have been prescribing CHOP [cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin hydrochloride, vincristine sulfate, and prednisone] or CHOP-like regimens. There are retrospective German data showing the addition of etoposides, so CHOEP instead of CHOP, may be beneficial, particularly for patients who were younger than 65 years.1 That is not a randomized trial, it was a retrospective study, so the strength of the data was relatively weak.1 The data of brentuximab vedotin [Adcetris] plus CHP [cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, prednisone] versus CHOP [was from] a randomized trial, so its a stronger level of evidence compared with that etoposide data.
What do the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) guidelines recommend?
The category 1 recommendation for ALCL [anaplastic large cell lymphoma] is brentuximab vedotin plus CHP, according to the NCCN.2 For that particular indication, I think most people are not going to argue that brentuximab plus CHP is the way to go.
For the other subtypesand numbers for the other subtypes were smaller compared with ALCLits a bit more blurry. You still have brentuximab vedotin plus CHP, but you also have the options of CHOP, CHOEP.
What was the rationale for ECHELON-2 [NCT01777152] in this population? This was a randomized study, brentuximab vedotin plus CHP versus CHOP.3 The bottom line is that this trial was a replacement strategy. Vincristine, or Oncovin, is a vinca alkaloid, and it causes neuropathy. For brentuximab, an antibody-drug conjugate, its payload is also a vinca drug. Vinca alkaloids cause neuropathy, so the trial replaced those agents, resulting in this trial. It was a double-dummy, [double-blind] study, so patients received placebobrentuximab and CHP or they received CHOP. The CD30 expression needed to be 10% or higher for the patient to be able to enroll. The investigators allowed multiple subtypes of T-cell lymphomas: PTCL not otherwise specified, angioimmunoblastic T-cell lymphoma, hepatosplenic T-cell lymphoma, enteropathy-associated T-cell lymphoma.
The reality is that most of you are going see PTCL, not otherwise specified, because its the most common subtype I see; maybe the runner-up is angioimmunoblastic T-cell lymphoma, and then the next one is going to be ALCL. And again, there are a couple of flavors: ALK-positive and ALK-negative. ALK-negative is, prognostically, closer to PTCL. The primary end point was progression-free survival [PFS] but, of course, they looked at other things like overall survival.3
What were the outcomes of this trial for patients? PFS was a primary end point, and this was the most important factor or variable that they looked at, and with CHOP you get 20.8 months of PFS; with brentuximab plus CHP you got 48.2 months. So, more than double the primary end point, and that is why I like to start with PTCL, because ECHELON-2 definitely looked more impressive than the ECHELON-1 trial [NCT01712490]. Theyre both important papers; ECHELON-1 was published in New England Journal of Medicine,4 ECHELON-2 was only published in Lancet. The difference, the numbers that you see, are more dramatic in ECHELON-2 in PTCL compared with Hodgkin lymphoma, but both are relevant papers. More than double the results, and you could see that that separation is maintained over time.
They looked at overall survival, and there was also a difference. Even though the primary end point was PFS, your patients are also going to live longer if you go with brentuximab plus CHP.
The complete response rate was 68% for [brentuximab vedotin plus CHP] versus 56% for CHOP. Of course, the objective response rate is also higher for brentuximab plus CHP, as well [TABLE5 ].
As I said, both drugs can potentially cause neuropathy. Lets take a look at the safety profile. Peripheral neuropathy for brentuximab plus CHP, grade 3 or higher, was 4%, for CHOP, it was 3%. Remember, vincristine in the CHOP regimen can also cause neuropathy. Not a big difference there. For any grade of neuropathy, the numbers are 45% for brentuximab plus CHP and 41% for CHOP.
Now, could you die from CHOP, or brentuximab plus CHP? Of course. Luckily for us, its single digits. Its rareIm sure that we have all had patients that we have lost during CHOP or R-CHOP [rituximab (Rituxan) plus CHOP] for B-cell lymphomas, but 3% for brentuximab plus CHP and 4% for CHOP.
If this patient achieved a complete response to frontline therapy, would you consider transplant?
Before the ECHELON trials, most of us knew that CHOP was suboptimal; we just did not know what was better than CHOP. Thats why we were playing with etoposide, based on that retrospective German data and doing CHOEP, sometimes even EPOCH [etoposide phosphate, prednisone, vincristine sulfate, cyclophosphamide, and doxorubicin hydrochloride] for these patients. Because CHOP was suboptimal, we wanted to do something additional, and that is why many patients have received consolidation with transplants.
We consider so many factors for transplant-eligible patientsthe performance status, comorbidities, age; but in general, Im prone to offer [transplant] to patients who have these T-cell lymphomas because, again, its a bad disease, and its not a curative intent. You are not giving the treatment with a curative intent. You want to keep the disease at bay as much as possible.
What is the impact of consolidative stem cell transplant after frontline brentuximab plus CHP for patients?
In a post hoc analysis, for the patients who achieved complete remission [CR], 38 patients in CR, received the transplant, and 76 patients in CR did not; it was certainly not the primary end point.5 It was presented at the American Society of Hematology Annual Meeting in 2019. Again, we are tempted to prescribe the transplant because, historically, these patients have done so poorly. The majority of these patients in CR after brentuximab plus CHP did not receive a transplant, 38 patients did receive a transplant, and it seems that the patients that received the consolidation with the transplant did better than the patients who did not receive the transplant. You have the 3-year progression-free survival numbers: 76% and 53%, though my bias at this point would be young, relatively young, or with few comorbidities, good performance statusI would certainly send the patient to get a second opinion.
What would be your approach toward second-line therapy at progression?
The number 1 option is a clinical trial. Id also consider pralatrexate [Folotyn]. Belinostat [Beleodaq], pralatrexate, and romidepsin [Istodax] are going to give an overall response somewhere between 20% to 30%, and complete remissions that are approximately 10%, give or take. Duration of response is usually going to be less than a year. Bottom line, we need to do better for PTCL when its relapsed/refractory. We need to do good when it comes to our frontline therapies, so, hopefully, we can provide a long period of time of remission for our patients.
1. Schmitz N, Trmper L, Ziepert M, et al. Treatment and prognosis of mature T-cell and NK-cell lymphoma: an analysis of patients with T-cell lymphoma treated in studies of the German high-grade non-Hodgkin lymphoma study group. Blood. 2010;116(18):3418- 3425. doi:10.1182/blood-2010-02-270785
2. NCCN. Clinical practice guidelines in oncology. T-cell lymphomas, version 1.2021. Accessed October 14, 2020. https://bit.ly/3kcUHLL
3. Horwitz S, OConnor OA, Pro B, et al; ECHELON-2 Study Group. Brentuximab vedotin with chemotherapy for CD30-positive peripheral T-cell lymphoma (ECHELON-2): a global, double-blind, randomised, phase 3 trial. Lancet. 2019;393(10168):229-240. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(18)32984-2
4. Connors JM, Jurczak W, Straus DJ; ECHELON-1 Study Group. Brentuximab vedotin with chemotherapy for stage III or IV hodgkins lymphoma. N Engl J Med. 2018;378(4):331-344. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1708984
5. Savage KJ, Horwitz SM, Advani RH. An exploratory analysis of brentuximab vedotin plus chp (A+CHP) in the frontline treatment of patients with CD30+ peripheral T-cell lymphomas (ECHELON-2): impact of consolidative stem cell transplant. Blood. 2019; 134(suppl 1):464. doi:10.1182/blood-2019-122781
Here is the original post:
Exploring First-line Therapies in Peripheral T-Cell Lymphomas - Targeted Oncology
- Co-founder Thomas Smeenk on the benefits of Hemostemix autologous stem cell therapy - InvestorIntel - January 12th, 2021
- Covid-19 Impact On Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Huge Potential in Future Growth by 2027 | Magellan, Medipost Co., Ltd, Osiris Therapeutics, Inc.,... - January 12th, 2021
- Adipose Derived Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis and Forecast, 2020-2026 Coherent Market Insights | BioRestorative Therapies, Inc., Celltex... - January 12th, 2021
- New COVID-19 Treatment Uses Stem Cells - Freethink - January 12th, 2021
- Creative Medical Technology Holdings Files Investigational New Drug Application (IND) with FDA for Treatment of Stroke using ImmCelz Regenerative... - January 12th, 2021
- Global Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market 2020 Dynamics Analysis, Size Witness Growth Acceleration During 2025 - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - January 12th, 2021
- Gamida Cell to Present Full Data from Phase 3 Study of Omidubicel at TCT, the Combined Transplantation and Cellular Therapy Meetings of ASTCT and... - January 12th, 2021
- Cate Dyer of StemExpress is Named Businesswoman of the Year! - PRNewswire - January 12th, 2021
- Adocia Files Patent on a Hydrogel Scaffold for Cell Therapy in the Treatment of Type 1 Diabetes - Business Wire - January 12th, 2021
- Gene Therapy Market Estimated to Record Highest CAGR by 2024 - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - January 12th, 2021
- Stem cell treatment corrects skull shape and restores brain function in mouse model of childhood disorder - National Institutes of Health - January 9th, 2021
- Doctors Make Medical Breakthrough In Treating Severe Cases Of COVID - CBS New York - January 9th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Report 2020: Market to Recover and Reach $14.76 Billion in 2023 at a CAGR of 19.62% - Forecast to 2030 - Yahoo Finance - January 9th, 2021
- Engineered stem cells that evade immune detection could boost cell therapy and I-O - FierceBiotech - January 9th, 2021
- BENEV Announces Investigative Report on Combination Treatment with Human Adipose Tissue Stem Cell- derived Exosomes and Fractional CO2 Laser for Acne... - January 9th, 2021
- Four promising COVID-19 therapies being tested at nearby UVA - Rappahannock News - January 9th, 2021
- MCL Landscape Adapts to Changes After CAR T-Cell Therapy Approval - OncLive - January 9th, 2021
- Regenerative Medicine Market to Reach Valuation US$ 23.7 Bn by 2027 - GlobeNewswire - January 9th, 2021
- Unlocking The Unlimited Potential Of Stem Cells - CodeBlue - January 9th, 2021
- Stem Cell Treatment Proving Highly Successful In Treating Most Severe Cases Of COVID - Yahoo News - January 9th, 2021
- Factor Bioscience spins out a new cell therapy player with eyes on the clinic within 2 years - Endpoints News - January 9th, 2021
- Comparison of the efficiency, safety, and survival outcomes in two stem cell mobilization regimens with cyclophosphamide plus G-CSF or G-CSF alone in... - January 9th, 2021
- Top 10 ALS Stories of 2020 - ALS News Today - January 9th, 2021
- Celularity and GX Acquisition Corp. Announce Merger Agreement to Create a Publicly Listed Leader in Allogeneic Cellular Therapy - BioSpace - January 9th, 2021
- Results Show Promising Efficacy in MCL With Next-Generation BTK Inhibitor LOXO-305 - Cancer Network - January 9th, 2021
- BlueRock Therapeutics in Collaboration with Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center Receives IND Clearance for DA01 in Parkinson's Disease - BioSpace - January 9th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Product Types, And Applications Forecast To 2026 - Farming Sector - January 5th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market by Treatment,Application,End Users and Geography Forecast To 2027 - LionLowdown - January 5th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis, COVID-19 Impact,Outlook, Opportunities, Size, Share Forecast and Supply Demand 2021-2025 - Farming Sector - January 5th, 2021
- AGC Biologics Confirms Cell and Gene Therapy Commercial Expertise as Manufacturer of Orchard Therapeutics' Newly Approved Libmeldy - PRNewswire - January 5th, 2021
- Forge Biologics Announces FDA Clearance of Investigational New Drug Application for Phase 1/2 Clinical Trial (RESKUE) of FBX-101 Gene Therapy for... - January 5th, 2021
- MorphoSys and Incyte Announce the Acceptance of the Swissmedic Marketing Authorization Application f - PharmiWeb.com - January 5th, 2021
- Healthcare resource utilization and costs among patients with relapsed and/or refractory multiple myeloma treated with proteasome inhibitors in... - January 5th, 2021
- Global Circulating Tumor Cells and Cancer Stem Cells Market To Reach A New Threshold of Growth By 2026 - The Courier - January 5th, 2021
- Catheters Market: Europe and North America Emerge as Leading Regional Market with Well-established Healthcare Infrastructure - BioSpace - January 5th, 2021
- The Worldwide Cell Isolation/Cell Separation Industry is Expected to Grow at a CAGR of 16.8% Between 2020 to 2025 - PRNewswire - January 5th, 2021
- Near-infrared oxidative phosphorylation inhibitor integrates acute myeloid leukemiatargeted imaging and therapy - Science Advances - January 5th, 2021
- Global Cell Therapy Market Report 2020: Market to Recover in 2023 - PRNewswire - January 3rd, 2021
- Lonza's Cocoon will soon make dozens of stem cell therapies all at once - Innovation Origins - January 3rd, 2021
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell Derived Human Lung Organoids to Map and Treat the SARS-CoV2 Infections In Vitro - DocWire News - January 3rd, 2021
- Creative Medical Technology Holdings Announces Patent filing based on Preclinical Data in Model of Heart Attack using ImmCelz Regenerative... - January 3rd, 2021
- Haywards Heath carer trying to raise funds for MS treatment - The Argus - January 3rd, 2021
- Chronic graft-versus-host disease in children and adolescents with thalassemia after hematopoietic stem cell transplantation - DocWire News - January 3rd, 2021
- COVID-19-positive cancer patients undergoing active anticancer treatment: An analysis of clinical features and outcomes - DocWire News - January 3rd, 2021
- Cell Therapy Market 2020-2026 by Growth, Demand and Upcoming Business Opportunities - Farming Sector - January 3rd, 2021
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market Latest Trends and Future Growth Study by 2029 - Farming Sector - December 31st, 2020
- Creative Medical Technology Holdings Announces Reversion of Liver Failure Using ImmCelz Personalized Cellular Immunotherapy in Preclinical Model -... - December 31st, 2020
- Impacts of COVID 19 on Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Size, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 - Factory Gate - December 31st, 2020
- Efficacy and safety of mesenchymal stem cells for the treatment of patients infected with COVID-19: a systematic review and meta-analysis protocol -... - December 31st, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Industry 2021 In-depth Market Analysis and Recent Developments, Share, Revenue and Forecast 2025 | Anterogen Co. Inc.... - December 31st, 2020
- Nociceptive neurons shown to boost hematopoiesis | 2020-12-28 - BioWorld Online - December 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020: Demand Analysis, Key Players, Trends, Sales, Supply, Deployment Model, Segments, Organization Size, Production, Revenue... - December 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market (COVID-19 Analysis) 2020-2025 Is Booming Worldwide with Comprehensive Study Explores Huge Revenue Scope in Future - Farming... - December 28th, 2020
- Humanigen Secures US Patent for Lenzilumab in Preventing Cytokine Storm and Neurotoxicity Related to CAR-T Cell Therapy - BioSpace - December 28th, 2020
- Immunotherapy Continues on Positive Trajectory in Lymphoid Malignancies - OncLive - December 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size 2020 | Opportunities, Regional Overview, Top Leaders, Revenue and Forecast to 2025 - LionLowdown - December 28th, 2020
- Adipose Derived Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Analysis, Growth, Size, Shares, Drivers, Advancements, Challenges, Sophisticated Demand & Key... - December 28th, 2020
- Stem cells from cord blood can now be used across many conditions: Mayur Abhaya, MD & CEO, LifeCell Internat.. - ETHealthworld.com - December 28th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on NK Cell Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy Market 2021 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2027 | Chipscreen... - December 28th, 2020
- The Top 5 Most-Read Oncology Stories of 2020 - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - December 28th, 2020
- Adipose Tissue-derived Stem Cell Therapy Market Share Analysis, Application, Strategies of Key Players & Forecast to 2025 - Factory Gate - December 28th, 2020
- Study clarifies the impact of getting old on hematopoietic stem cells - Microbioz India - December 28th, 2020
- Report On Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market to 2026: (Industry Insights, Company Overview and Investment Analysis) - Farming Sector - December 24th, 2020
- Six Benefits of All-on-4 Implants Compared to Regular Dentures - Magazine of Santa Clarita - December 24th, 2020
- Allogeneic SCT Benefits Children and Adolescents With Relapsed Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma - OncLive - December 24th, 2020
- Stem cells in the brain remain active and divide over months - News Landed - December 24th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market 2026 by Product Type, Applications, Manufacturers, Revenue, Price, Share and Growth Rate & Forecast -... - December 24th, 2020
- Exclusive Research on Stem Cell Therapy Products Market 2020 Segments, Regions, Strategy Analysis: Mesoblast, TiGenix, Osiris - LionLowdown - December 24th, 2020
- Heterogenous Nature of MDS Warrants Further Research, Review Finds - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - December 24th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Shows 2-year Benefit for Progressive MS Patients in Phase 1 Trial - Multiple Sclerosis News Today - December 19th, 2020
- Dr Clarence Moore Discusses the Importance of Stem Cell Therapy, Heart Health in Beta Thalassemia - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - December 19th, 2020
- For Patients With HMA-Resistant MDS, What Are Their Options? - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - December 19th, 2020
- The Adrenomyeloneuropathy Treatment Market to grow on an emphatic note from 2019 to 2029 - PharmiWeb.com - December 19th, 2020
- Are Hiccups a Sign of the New Coronavirus? - Healthline - December 19th, 2020
- Every Patient Treated With CRISPR Gene Therapy for Blood Diseases Continues to Thrive, More Than a Year On - Good News Network - December 19th, 2020
- Therapeutic Solutions International Files Investigational New Drug Application (IND) with FDA for Treatment of Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy Using... - December 18th, 2020
- Physio Logic Brings Cutting-edge Regenerative Treatments for Sport Injuries and Arthritis to New York City - PRNewswire - December 18th, 2020
- AlloVir Announces FDA Clearance of Investigational New Drug Application for ALVR106, an Allogeneic, Off-the-Shelf, Multi-Virus Specific T Cell Therapy... - December 18th, 2020
- ONK Therapeutics Announces Three Exclusive Option License Agreements, Which Extend and Strengthen its Dual-Targeted NK Cell Therapy Pipeline -... - December 18th, 2020
- Mesoblast shares fall on trials mixed results with heart injection treatment - Stockhead - December 18th, 2020