18 months into the first serious clinical trials of CRISPR gene therapy for sickle cell disease and beta-thalassemiaand all patients are free from symptoms and have not needed blood transfusions.
Sickle cell disease (SCD) can cause a variety of health problems including episodes of severe pain, called vaso-occlusive crises, as well as organ damage and strokes.
Patients with transfusion-dependent thalassemia (TDT) are dependent on blood transfusions from early childhood.
The only available cure for both diseases is a bone marrow transplant from a closely related donor, an option that is not available for the vast majority of patients because of difficulty locating matched donors, the cost, and the risk of complications.
In the studies, the researchers goal is to functionally cure the blood disorders using CRISPR/Cas9 gene-editing by increasing the production of fetal hemoglobin, which produces normal, healthy red blood cells as opposed to the misshapen cells produced by faulty hemoglobin in the bodies of individuals with the disorders.
The clinical trials involve collecting stem cells from the patients. Researchers edit the stem cells using CRISPR-Cas9 and infuse the gene-modified cells into the patients. Patients remain in the hospital for approximately one month following the infusion.
Prior to receiving their modified cells, the seven patients with beta thalassemia required blood transfusions approximately every three to four weeks and the three patients with SCD suffered episodes of severe pain roughly every other month.
All the individuals with beta thalassemia have been transfusion independent since receiving the treatment, a period ranging between two and 18 months.
Similarly, none of the individuals with SCD have experienced vaso-occlusive crises since CTX001 infusion. All patients showed a substantial and sustained increase in the production of fetal hemoglobin.
15 months on, and the first patient to receive the treatment for SCD, Victoria Gray, has even been on a plane for the first time.
Before receiving CRISPR gene therapy, Gray worried that the altitude change would cause an excruciating pain attack while flying. Now she no longer worries about such things.
She told NPR of her trip to Washington, D.C: It was one of those things I was waiting to get a chance to do It was exciting. I had a window. And I got to look out the window and see the clouds and everything.
MORE: MIT Researchers Believe Theyve Developed a New Treatment for Easing the Passage of Kidney Stones
This December, theNew England Journal of Medicinepublishedthe first peer-reviewed research paperfrom the studyit focuses on Gray and the first TDT patient who was treated with an infusion of billions of edited cells into their body.
There is a great need to find new therapies for beta thalassemia and sickle cell disease, saidHaydar Frangoul, MD,Medical Director of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology at Sarah Cannon Research Institute, HCA Healthcares TriStar Centennial Medical Center. What we have been able to do through this study is a tremendous achievement. By gene editing the patients own stem cells we may have the potential to make this therapy an option for many patients facing these blood diseases.
READ: For the First Time in the US, Surgeons Pump New Life into Dead Donor Heart for Life-Saving Transplant
Because of the precise way CRISPR-Cas9 gene editing works, Dr. Frangoul suggested the technique could potentially cure or ameliorate a variety of diseases that have genetic origins.
As GNN has reported, researchers are already using CRISPR to try and treat cancer, Parkinsons, heart disease, and HIV, as well.
Source: American Society of Hematology
- [PDF] Stem Cell Therapy Market Size Strong Revenue and Generated Opportunities UNLV The Rebel Yell - UNLV The Rebel Yell - August 31st, 2021
- Mike Tysons weird stem cell treatment has helped transform incredible body at 55 - Daily Star - August 31st, 2021
- Acute Monocytic Leukemia: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment - Healthline - August 31st, 2021
- UC Davis and the School of Medicine set new records in research funding - UC Davis Health - August 31st, 2021
- NCCN Issues Updated Guidelines Regarding Third COVID-19 Vaccine Booster for Those With Cancer - Cancer Network - August 31st, 2021
- DHEC Supports Awareness and Education during National Sickle Cell Awareness Month - SCDHEC - August 31st, 2021
- The emerging roles of the gut microbiome in allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation - DocWire News - August 31st, 2021
- Global Cryopreservation Equipment Market Report 2021-2028 - Growing Acceptance for Regenerative Medicine & Increasing Needs of Biobanking... - August 31st, 2021
- Operational Highlights and Financial Results for the Year Ended June 30, 2021 - GlobeNewswire - August 31st, 2021
- Event to benefit 2 families with kids fighting cancer - Youngstown Vindicator - August 31st, 2021
- Cryo-Cell International Announces Uplisting to The Nasdaq Capital Market - GlobeNewswire - August 31st, 2021
- Incyte and MorphoSys Announce the European Commission Approval of Minjuvi (tafasitamab) in Combination With Lenalidomide for the Treatment of Adults... - August 31st, 2021
- Thomas Smeenk with an update on the FDA Phase II clinical trial program of the Hemostemix blood-derived, stem cell therapeutics product (ACP-01) -... - August 31st, 2021
- 2021 Pipeline Insight Report on Myocardial Infarction - Featuring AstraZeneca, Mesoblast and Boehringer Ingelheim Among Others -... - August 31st, 2021
- Mini brains grown in the lab sprout primitive eyes - Freethink - August 31st, 2021
- BeiGene and EUSA Pharma Announce China NMPA Approval of QARZIBA (Dinutuximab Beta) for Patients With High-Risk Neuroblastoma - Business Wire - August 18th, 2021
- Study Calls for COVID-19 Vaccination in Patients With Cancer to Enable Optimal Treatment Delivery During Pandemic - OncLive - August 18th, 2021
- Treatment of AML in Older Patients Almost At 'The Holy Grail' - Curetoday.com - August 18th, 2021
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Identify Key Drivers, Trends, Latest Innovations, Business Senario, Demand With Outlook by 2026 - The Market Writeuo -... - August 18th, 2021
- 8 Tips for Coping With a Diagnosis of PPMS - Everyday Health - August 18th, 2021
- More positive results from CRISPR trial for sickle cell and thalassaemia - BioNews - August 18th, 2021
- Belumosudil Granted Full Approval for Treatment of Chronic GVHD by FDA - Cancer Network - July 22nd, 2021
- Dr. Martin on the Role of Maintenance Therapy With Rituximab in MCL July 15th 2021 Peter - OncLive - July 22nd, 2021
- FDA tells Magenta to pump the brakes on blood cancer trial before it starts to develop new dosing test - FierceBiotech - July 22nd, 2021
- Stemson Therapeutics Secures $15M Series A Funding to Cure Hair Loss - Business Wire - July 22nd, 2021
- Events planned to support 5-year-old's cancer treatments - The Augusta Chronicle - July 22nd, 2021
- HER2-Specific CAR T Cells Induce Early Efficacy Without Dose-Limiting Toxicities in Pediatric CNS Tumors - OncLive - July 22nd, 2021
- A mother's love: Two years after devastating crash, Abby Roby has hope - London Free Press (Blogs) - July 22nd, 2021
- Roswell Park Team Shows Dendritic-Cell Vaccines Can Be Paired With Standard Therapy for Breast Cancer - Newswise - July 22nd, 2021
- Introducing the 3D bioprinted neural tissues with the potential to 'cure' human paralysis - 3D Printing Industry - July 22nd, 2021
- Investing in stem cells, the building blocks of the body - MoneyWeek - June 25th, 2021
- Discrepancies Between Real-World Patterns of Care and Recommendations Based on Clinical Trials Exist in MCL - OncLive - June 25th, 2021
- Catalent to Acquire RheinCell Therapeutics, Strengthening a Path Towards Industrialization of Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell-based Therapies - PR Web - June 25th, 2021
- Disparities in Utilization of Autologous Stem Cell Transplantation as Consolidative Therapy for Multiple Myeloma: A Single Institution Retrospective... - June 25th, 2021
- Vita Therapeutics Raises $32 Million in Oversubscribed Series A Financing Led by Cambrian Biopharma to Advance the Development of Therapies to Treat... - June 25th, 2021
- Updates in the treatment of peripheral T-cell lymphomas | JEP - Dove Medical Press - June 25th, 2021
- Novel Tafasitamab Combination Finds a Role in Second-line DLBCL Treatment - Targeted Oncology - June 25th, 2021
- Global Nerve Repair and Regeneration Devices Market to Reach $11. 8 Billion by 2026 - GlobeNewswire - June 25th, 2021
- 5 potential benefits of exosome treatment - AZ Big Media - June 8th, 2021
- Orion and the Blood Service launch collaboration to develop new CAR T-cell cancer therapy - Yahoo Finance Australia - June 8th, 2021
- Improvements in the Treatment of Patients With MCL Over the Past Decade - Oncology Learning Network - June 8th, 2021
- Novo Nordisk partners with Heartseed on heart failure cell therapy - PMLiVE - June 8th, 2021
- Citius Pharmaceuticals to be Added to Russell 2000 Index - BioSpace - June 8th, 2021
- IN8bio Completes Treatment of First Cohort in Phase 1 Clinical Trial with Gamma Delta T-Cell Therapy in Patients with Newly Diagnosed Glioblastoma... - June 8th, 2021
- Regenerative medicine: moving next-gen treatments from lab to clinic - Pharmaceutical Technology - June 8th, 2021
- Global $30+ Billion Cell Therapy Bioprocessing Market to 2028: Market Opportunities in Automated Procedures to Produce Cell Therapies - PRNewswire - June 8th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell & Regenerative Medicine Market Report Forecast to 2027 3M Group Novartis AG Integra Gene Therapies The Manomet Current - The... - June 8th, 2021
- Novel CAR-T Cell Therapy Produces Early and Deep Responses in Certain Patients with Multiple Myeloma - Curetoday.com - June 8th, 2021
- BioRestorative Therapies to Present at the Emerging Growth Conference on June 9, 2021 - StreetInsider.com - June 8th, 2021
- Innovent Biologics and IASO Biotherapeutics to Present Updated Data from its Anti-BCMA CAR-T Therapy in Relapsed/Refractory Multiple Myeloma at... - June 8th, 2021
- High Rate of Response Noted in MCL and CLL With Cirmtuzumab Plus Ibrutinib - Cancer Network - June 8th, 2021
- Dr. Ghosh on the Role of Off-the-Shelf CAR T-Cell Therapy in Myeloma June - OncLive - June 8th, 2021
- Triplet Combo of Polatuzumab Vedotin, Rituximab and Lenalidomide Safe, Effective to Treat Relapsed/Refractory DLBCL - Cancer Network - June 8th, 2021
- Income, Education Affect Treatment and Survival in MDS - DocWire News - June 8th, 2021
- Polatuzumab With Rituximab and Lenalidomide Shown Safe and Effective for Relapsed/Refractory DLBCL - Targeted Oncology - June 8th, 2021
- Early Promise Observed With Lisaftoclax in Relapsed/Refractory CLL and Other Hematologic Malignancies - Targeted Oncology - June 8th, 2021
- Mustang Bio to Host Key Opinion Leader Webinar on MB-106 CD20-Targeted CAR T for - GlobeNewswire - June 8th, 2021
- FDA Lifts Hold on bluebird bio's Sickle Cell and Beta-Thalassemia Gene Therapies - BioSpace - June 8th, 2021
- Abecma Continues to Improve Survival in Heavily Pretreated Patients With Multiple Myeloma - Curetoday.com - June 8th, 2021
- HSCT-Sparing, Chemotherapy-Free Treatment of Ph+ ALL With Ponatinib/Blinatumomab Leads to 100% CR Rate - Cancer Network - June 8th, 2021
- Fate Therapeutics Highlights Positive Interim Data from its Phase 1 Study of FT516 in Combination with - GlobeNewswire - June 8th, 2021
- Action Taken by Governor Phil Scott on Legislation - June 7, 2021 - Office of Governor Phil Scott - June 8th, 2021
- Cancer research: New advances and innovations - Medical News Today - June 8th, 2021
- Naturally Treat & Heal The Cause of Pain with Regenerative Therapies - The Mountaineer - May 15th, 2021
- CAR T-Cell Therapy UCARTCS1A Shows Early Activity in Relapsed/Refractory Myeloma - OncLive - May 15th, 2021
- Rinri Therapeutics Secures Innovate UK Funding Grant for 3.2m Project to Advance its Novel Cell-Based Therapy to Restore Hearing Loss - PRNewswire - May 15th, 2021
- With $52 Million Series A, Appia Bio Anticipates a Bright Future in Cell Therapy - BioSpace - May 15th, 2021
- Genenta Phase I/II Glioblastoma Data at ASGCT Show Temferon Delivered Tumor-Focused Interferon ExpressionData presented at the 2021 American Society... - May 15th, 2021
- Safety and Efficacy of Consolidation Therapy with Ipilimumab Plus Nivolumab after Autologous Stem Cell Transplantation - DocWire News - May 15th, 2021
- Fascination with stem cell sensation leads to Fulbright scholarship - Monash University - May 15th, 2021
- Omeros' Narsoplimab Pivotal Trial Data to Be Shared as an Oral Presentation at the European Hematology Association Congress - Business Wire - May 15th, 2021
- Munshi Explains Staging, Prognosis, and Treatment for a Patient With Acute Graft-vs-Host-Disease - Targeted Oncology - May 15th, 2021
- KD-PACE Salvage Therapy for Aggressive Relapsed Refractory Multiple Myeloma, Plasma Cell Leukemia and Extramedullary Myeloma - DocWire News - May 15th, 2021
- Icy Microneedle Patch Delivers Cell Therapy, Then Melts - Freethink - May 15th, 2021
- FDA Responds to Creative Medical Technology Holdings Regarding Its ImmCelz IND for Stroke Treatment - BioSpace - May 15th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market 2021 Type and End-use Industry 2026 Orange County Hair Restoration Center,... - May 15th, 2021
- Allogeneic Mesenchymal Stem Cell Segment Is Expected To Lead In the Global Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market over the Forecast Period,... - May 15th, 2021
- Advanced Therapy Medicinal Products Market Size Worth $21.2 Billion By 2028: Grand View Research, Inc. - PRNewswire - May 15th, 2021
- New connection between metabolism and red blood cell development - Harvard Gazette - May 15th, 2021
- Heart attack recovery aided by injecting heart muscle cells that overexpress cyclin D2 - The Mix - May 15th, 2021