With so many groundbreaking medical advances being revealed to the world every single day, you would imagine there would be some advancement on the plethora of many female-prevalent diseases (think female cancers, Alzheimer's, depression, heart conditions etc.) that women are fighting every single day.
For Anna Villarreal and her team, there frankly wasn't enough being done. In turn, she developed a method that diagnoses these diseases earlier than traditional methods, using a pretty untraditional method in itself: through your menstrual blood.
Getting from point A to point B wasn't so easy though. Villarreal was battling a disease herself and through that experience. I wondered if there was a way to test menstrual blood for female specific diseases," she says. "Perhaps my situation could have been prevented or at least better managed. This led me to begin researching menstrual blood as a diagnostic source. For reasons the scientific and medical community do not fully understand, certain diseases impact women differently than men. The research shows that clinical trials have a disproportionate focus on male research subjects despite clear evidence that many diseases impact more women than men."
There's also no denying that gap in women's healthcare in clinical research involving female subjects - which is exactly what inspired Villarreal to launch her company, LifeStory Health. She says that, with my personal experience everything was brought full circle."
There is a challenge and a need in the medical community for more sex-specific research. I believe the omission of females as research subjects is putting women's health at risk and we need to fuel a conversation that will improve women's healthcare.,"
Her brand new biotech company is committed to changing the women's healthcare market through technology, innovation and vocalization and through extensive research and testing. She is working to develop the first ever, non-invasive, menstrual blood diagnostic and has partnered with a top Boston-area University on research and has won awards from The International Society for Pharmaceutical Engineering and Northeastern University's RISE.
How does it work exactly? Proteins are discovered in menstrual blood that can quickly and easily detect, manage and track diseases in women, resulting in diseases that can be earlier detected, treated and even prevented in the first place. The menstrual blood is easy to collect and since it's a relatively unexplored diagnostic it's honestly a really revolutionary concept, too.
So far, the reactions of this innovative research has been nothing but excitement. The reactions have been incredibly positive." she shares with SWAAY. Currently, menstrual blood is discarded as bio waste, but it could carry the potential for new breakthroughs in diagnosis. When I educate women on the lack of female subjects used in research and clinical trials, they are surprised and very excited at the prospect that LifeStory Health may provide a solution and the key to early detection."
To give a doctor's input, and a little bit more of an explanation as to why this really works, Dr. Pat Salber, MD, and Founder of The Doctor Weighs In comments: researchers have been studying stem cells derived from menstrual blood for more than a decade. Stem cells are cells that have the capability of differentiating into different types of tissues. There are two major types of stem cells, embryonic and adult. Adult stem cells have a more limited differentiation potential, but avoid the ethical issues that have surrounded research with embryonic stem cells. Stem cells from menstrual blood are adult stem cells."
These stem cells are so important when it comes to new findings. Stem cells serve as the backbone of research in the field of regenerative medicine the focus which is to grow tissues, such as skin, to repair burn and other types of serious skin wounds.
A certain type of stem cell, known as mesenchymal stem cells (MenSCs) derived from menstrual blood has been found to both grow well in the lab and have the capability to differentiate in various cell types, including skin. In addition to being used to grow tissues, their properties can be studied that will elucidate many different aspects of cell function," Dr. Salber explains.
To show the outpour of support for her efforts and this major girl power research, Villarreal remarks, women are volunteering their samples happily report the arrival of their periods by giving samples to our lab announcing de-identified sample number XXX arrived today!" It's a far cry from the stereotype of when it's that time of the month."
How are these collections being done? Although it might sound odd to collect menstrual blood, plastic cups have been developed to use in the collection process. This is similar to menstrual products, called menstrual cups, that have been on the market for many years," Dr. Salber says.
Equally shocking and innovative, this might be something that becomes more common practice in the future. And according to Dr. Salber, women may be able to not only use the menstrual blood for early detection, but be able to store the stem cells from it to help treat future diseases. Companies are working to commercialize the use of menstrual blood stem cells. One company, for example, is offering a patented service to store menstrual blood stem cells for use in tissue generation if the need arises."
Divorce as Seen Through the Eyes of a Child - SWAAY
- Hawaii Five-0 To End After 10 Seasons On CBS, Sets Two-Hour Series Finale - New York Post - February 28th, 2020
- PAX1 is essential for development and function of the human thymus - Science - February 28th, 2020
- Indiana Regenerative Medicine Institute Offers Innovative Approaches in Regenerative Medicine, Hormone Replacement and Pain Management - Carmel... - February 28th, 2020
- Adaptimmune Reports Fourth Quarter / Full Year 2019 Financial Results and Business Update - GlobeNewswire - February 28th, 2020
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market Key Development by 2025 - News Times - February 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy for Coronavirus Infection - Benzinga - February 28th, 2020
- New technique developed to treat hardening of internal organs - WNDU-TV - February 28th, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics Reports 2019 Financial Results and Reviews Key Strategic Priorities for 2020 - BioSpace - February 28th, 2020
- Cells carrying Parkinson's mutation could lead to new model for studying disease - University of Wisconsin-Madison - February 28th, 2020
- How targeting tumor blood vessels may help overcome treatment resistance in glioblastoma - FierceBiotech - February 28th, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics (ORTX) Q4 2019 Earnings Call Transcript - Motley Fool - February 28th, 2020
- Treatment in clinical trial offers options to woman fighting return of cancer (+ video) - WRAL Tech Wire - February 28th, 2020
- Car T-cell therapy: The future fifth pillar of cancer treatment - The Irish Times - February 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy for Osteoarthritis to Reap Excessive Revenues by 2019-2025 - News Times - February 28th, 2020
- BioLineRx Announces Notice of Allowance from USPTO for Patent Covering Motixafortide (BL-8040) in Combination With Anti-PD-1 for the Treatment of Any... - February 28th, 2020
- uniQure Presents Multiple New Preclinical Data on AMT-130 at the CHDI's 15th Annual Huntington's Disease Therapeutics Conference - GlobeNewswire - February 28th, 2020
- Bit Bio Secures Distribution Agreement with Abcam to Democratize Access to Human Cells for Global Life Science Research - Gooruf - February 28th, 2020
- CAR T-Cell Therapy Improves Health-Related QOL in Adult Patients With R/R DLBCL - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - February 26th, 2020
- 2020 Cell Therapy Bioprocessing Conference (Boston, MA, United States - June 25-26, 2020) - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - February 26th, 2020
- Bucks County Surgeon Battling ALS To Receive Special Honor At 4th Annual Gala Of Hope - CBS Philly - February 26th, 2020
- Humans soon able to regrow spines as body given 'new power to heal itself' - Daily Star - February 26th, 2020
- Radiation Kills Cancer Cells, But May Also Protect Some Tumor Stem Cells That Can Spread - MedicalResearch.com - February 26th, 2020
- Musculoskeletal Disorder Stem Cell Therapy Market Report 2019: With Essential Analysis of Market, Industry News and Policies by Regions, Top... - February 26th, 2020
- Mice with diabetes "functionally cured" using new stem cell therapy - New Atlas - February 24th, 2020
- Consistent Outcomes Using Ryoncil as First-Line Treatment or Salvage Therapy in 309 Children With Steroid-Refractory Acute GVHD - BioSpace - February 24th, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Size, Current Trends, Business Opportunities, Market Challenges and Analysis by 2026 - News Parents - February 24th, 2020
- Tackling the Challenges in Cell and Gene Therapy... - Labiotech.eu - February 24th, 2020
- Experimental study speeds up bone healing with 2 common medications - New Atlas - February 24th, 2020
- Red Cross and American Cancer Society Partnering to Help Cancer Patients - WLTZ 38 NBC - February 24th, 2020
- Meet 20 European Immuno-Oncology Companies that are Fighting... - Labiotech.eu - February 24th, 2020
- Michael Schumacher reportedly underwent breakthrough treatment; Here are details of the secret procedure - EconoTimes - February 24th, 2020
- American Red Cross and American Cancer Society partner to inspire people to help patients and Give Blood to Give Time - NNY360 - February 24th, 2020
- Preemptive Anti-IL-6 May Cut Severe CRS With CAR-T Tx - MedPage Today - February 24th, 2020
- Kadmon Announces Expanded Results of Interim Analysis of Pivotal Trial of KD025 in cGVHD - Yahoo Finance - February 24th, 2020
- Better Quality CR With One AML Therapy vs Another? - MedPage Today - February 24th, 2020
- Austin Aries Announces Position With Stem Cell Therapy Company, Says He Met With AEW Regarding Partnership - LordsofPain.net - February 24th, 2020
- New hope for the healing of spinal column injuries with generally available drugs - The Washington Newsday - February 24th, 2020
- Crohn's Disease Treatment Market Development, Top Trends and Future Scope with Upcoming Opportunities - Instant Tech News - February 24th, 2020
- From Germany with love: Alfie, four, meets his stem cell saviour - Express - February 24th, 2020
- Leukemia: Cancer Of The Blood - Modern Ghana - February 24th, 2020
- Study tests whether stem cells heal arthritis in large dogs - Los Angeles Times - February 20th, 2020
- Stem cells and the heartthe road ahead - Science Magazine - February 20th, 2020
- Report: Austin Aries DDP Trying To Get AEW To Buy Into Stem Cell Treatment Venture - Fightful - February 20th, 2020
- On the Trail of Cancer Stem Cells - Technology Networks - February 20th, 2020
- Rare disease outlook 2020: three therapies set to make waves this year - pharmaceutical-technology.com - February 20th, 2020
- Dutch startup Neuroplast raises 4M for its stem cell-based technology to treat patients with Spinal Cord Injury - Silicon Canals - February 20th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020-2026: Product Types, by Applications, By Market Trends, Market Reserach Report - Keep Reading - February 20th, 2020
- Global demand of Stem Cell Therapy Market will boom in coming years - Nyse Nasdaq Live - February 20th, 2020
- Combination Enfortumab Vedotin + Pembrolizumab Granted Breakthrough Therapy in Bladder Cancer - OncoZine - February 20th, 2020
- Vascular endotheliumtargeted Sirt7 gene therapy rejuvenates blood vessels and extends life span in a Hutchinson-Gilford progeria model - Science... - February 20th, 2020
- The fight against blood cancer continues - Sherbrooke Record - February 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Manufacturing in Stem Cell Therapy, Drug Discovery & Development, Stem Cell Banking, and More (2020-2025) - P&T Community - February 18th, 2020
- Should California invest another $5.5 Billion into stem cell research? - Long Beach Business Journal - Long Beach News - February 18th, 2020
- Chinese Scientist Unite Together to Tackle With COVID-19 - Associated Press - February 18th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market 2020: Growing with Technology Development, New Innovations, Future Projections, In-depth Analysis and Forecast by 2025 - News... - February 18th, 2020
- Lineage Cell Therapeutics to Present New Data From OpRegen and Vision Restoration Programs at the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology... - February 18th, 2020
- bluebird bio Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2019 Financial Results and Highlights Operational Progress - Yahoo Finance - February 18th, 2020
- UCLA researchers discover new compound that promotes lung health - UCLA Newsroom - February 18th, 2020
- Could this patch help mend a broken heart? - Medical Design & Outsourcing - February 18th, 2020
- BEGEV Salvage Regimen Linked to High Complete Remission Rates - Cancer Therapy Advisor - February 18th, 2020
- Exosome-Based Treatment Targeting KRAS G12D-Mutated Pancreatic Cancer to Enter Human Studies Next Month - Precision Oncology News - February 18th, 2020
- US FDA Grants Orphan Drug Designation for Retrotopes RT001 in the Treatment of Progressive SupraNuclear Palsy (PSP) - Yahoo Finance - February 18th, 2020
- Mustang Bio Announces First Subject Treated in Phase 1/2 Trial with the Optimized CD20-targeted CAR T Cell Therapy MB-106The subject achieved a... - February 18th, 2020
- 34 Years with a New Heart and Counting | 90.1 FM WABE - WABE 90.1 FM - February 18th, 2020
- FREE Brunch with a Doc! Regenerative Options for Orthopedic Conditions - Englewood Herald - February 18th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy seminar - The Wilton Bulletin - February 18th, 2020
- SMAC mimetics and RIPK inhibitors as therapeutics for chronic inflammatory diseases - Science - February 18th, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Analysis With Key Players, Applications, Trends and Forecast To 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 18th, 2020
- Michael Schumacher health: Whatever happened to F1 legend's 'miracle' treatment? Hamilton closing in to match Schumi's record - EconoTimes - February 18th, 2020
- Hunter Syndrome Treatment Market : In-depth Analysis to Understand the Competitive Outlook of the Global Industry with Future Estimation - Nyse Nasdaq... - February 18th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Overview 2020: Significance and Outlook By Top Players MEDIPOST, PHARMICELL Co., Ltd, Holostem Terapie Avanzate Srl,... - February 18th, 2020
- Trends on Stem Cell Therapy Products Market Outlook 2020 Industry Analysis by Size, Share, Growth Factors, Technology, R&D Companies and Foresight to... - February 18th, 2020
- Circulating Tumor Cells (CTCs) and Cancer Stem Cells (CSCs) Market 2019 Industry Outline, Global Executive Players, Interpretation and Benefit Growth... - February 18th, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market Structure, Industry Inspection, and Forecast 2025 - News Times - February 18th, 2020
- Boots' advice to widows wary of marrying again - INQUIRER.net - February 16th, 2020
- My Third Stem Cell Treatment for MS - Everyday Health - February 15th, 2020
- JDRF Reaches New Milestones in Work to Drive Cures for Type 1 Diabetes and Improve Lives - Yahoo Finance - February 15th, 2020
- 'Genetic rewiring' by a microRNA gene drives cancer's drug resistance - The Institute of Cancer Research - February 15th, 2020
- Unproven Stem Cell Treatments Offer Hope & Risks - February 15th, 2020
- Update on stem cell treatment cost for 2018 from ongoing poll ... - February 15th, 2020