StemGenex, the operator of a La Jolla clinic that drew a warning from the Food and Drug Administration that its purported stem cell treatments were illegal, has filed for bankruptcy.
The clinic also is facing a class-action lawsuit in San Diego federal court brought by several former customers who say they were misled by its advertising and marketing.
The firms bankruptcy filing, made on Sept. 5, lists more than $1 million in liabilities and $155,788 in assets including a Tesla Model X electric car on which it still owes $54,000.
The filing opens a window into the scale of StemGenexs business. It discloses revenues of more than $8.2 million dating back to Jan. 2, 2017. Based on the firms standard fee of about $14,900 per treatment, the revenue figure suggests StemGenex may have had as many as 550 customers over that period; some have said they had more than one treatment, for which they were charged separate fees.
Neither StemGenex nor its founder and president, Rita Alexander, could be reached Thursday. The firms bankruptcy attorney did not respond to a request for comment. The StemGenex website, through which prospective customers could arrange treatment or appointments, no longer lists a telephone number and now identifies the firm as an educational stem cell resource.
Weve reported previously that StemGenex operated one of the hundreds of clinics sprawled across the U.S. offering treatments for a host of medical conditions purportedly by using stem cells. Its procedure involved extracting fat from a customers body by liposuction, processing the tissue ostensibly to concentrate its stem cells, and injecting the resulting fluid into the same customer.
As the FDA asserted in a warning letter it issued to StemGenex in November, the firm said it could treat a variety of serious diseases and life-threatening conditions, including Alzheimers disease, Crohns disease, Type I and Type II diabetes, fibromyalgia, spinal cord injury, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, multiple sclerosis, muscular dystrophy, Parkinsons disease, peripheral neuropathy and rheumatoid arthritis.
No scientific evidence exists validating the claim that the treatment StemGenex offered has proven medical utility in humans. Patients treated at other unrelated clinics offering similar procedures have suffered serious medical consequences, including blindness. The FDA informed StemGenex that its marketing of the purported stem cell treatment was illegal and could be putting patients at risk.
The procedure has come under attack by the FDA, which has mounted a campaign to warn prospective patients and has brought legal action against several such firms. In June, a federal judge in Miami issued an injunction effectively shutting down Florida-based U.S. Stem Cell clinic. A similar FDA lawsuit against Rancho Mirage-based Cell Surgical Network is pending in federal court in Riverside.
The class-action lawsuit against StemGenex was brought by former patients who say they were induced by the firms false and misleading advertisements to pay for treatments that have no basis in scientific fact. StemGenex has denied that it made any misrepresentations to customers or that it offers patients any promises or guarantees of results.
Customers said in depositions filed in the lawsuit that they were told the clinic had a 90% success rate in treating its patients. Indeed, as they could tell from the StemGenex website or from promotional material sent to them, the clinic had a 100% patient satisfaction rating.
As it turned out, however, the success rate the firms agents cited was inaccurate, according to former executives. The patient satisfaction rating had nothing to do with whether the treatments worked medically, Alexander acknowledged in a deposition, but referred only to features such as the hotel accommodations the patients received. The rating was the product of a questionnaire filled out by patients the day after their procedures, typically while they were still recovering from surgery and while a clinic employee stood by.
In fact, a former StemGenex executive, asked by a plaintiffs lawyer if there was any scientific basis to make the claim, answered: There is none.
The firms bankruptcy filing automatically places the class-action case on hold. But Timothy Williams, an attorney for the plaintiffs, said they intend to pursue the case, whether in bankruptcy court or district court. He said that even if StemGenex is found to have few assets, the plaintiffs will proceed against the firms insurers and other named defendants, including Alexander and former physicians associated with StemGenex.
- Naturally Treat & Heal The Cause of Pain with Regenerative Therapies - The Mountaineer - May 15th, 2021
- CAR T-Cell Therapy UCARTCS1A Shows Early Activity in Relapsed/Refractory Myeloma - OncLive - May 15th, 2021
- Rinri Therapeutics Secures Innovate UK Funding Grant for 3.2m Project to Advance its Novel Cell-Based Therapy to Restore Hearing Loss - PRNewswire - May 15th, 2021
- With $52 Million Series A, Appia Bio Anticipates a Bright Future in Cell Therapy - BioSpace - May 15th, 2021
- Genenta Phase I/II Glioblastoma Data at ASGCT Show Temferon Delivered Tumor-Focused Interferon ExpressionData presented at the 2021 American Society... - May 15th, 2021
- Safety and Efficacy of Consolidation Therapy with Ipilimumab Plus Nivolumab after Autologous Stem Cell Transplantation - DocWire News - May 15th, 2021
- Fascination with stem cell sensation leads to Fulbright scholarship - Monash University - May 15th, 2021
- Omeros' Narsoplimab Pivotal Trial Data to Be Shared as an Oral Presentation at the European Hematology Association Congress - Business Wire - May 15th, 2021
- Munshi Explains Staging, Prognosis, and Treatment for a Patient With Acute Graft-vs-Host-Disease - Targeted Oncology - May 15th, 2021
- KD-PACE Salvage Therapy for Aggressive Relapsed Refractory Multiple Myeloma, Plasma Cell Leukemia and Extramedullary Myeloma - DocWire News - May 15th, 2021
- Icy Microneedle Patch Delivers Cell Therapy, Then Melts - Freethink - May 15th, 2021
- FDA Responds to Creative Medical Technology Holdings Regarding Its ImmCelz IND for Stroke Treatment - BioSpace - May 15th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market 2021 Type and End-use Industry 2026 Orange County Hair Restoration Center,... - May 15th, 2021
- Allogeneic Mesenchymal Stem Cell Segment Is Expected To Lead In the Global Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market over the Forecast Period,... - May 15th, 2021
- Advanced Therapy Medicinal Products Market Size Worth $21.2 Billion By 2028: Grand View Research, Inc. - PRNewswire - May 15th, 2021
- New connection between metabolism and red blood cell development - Harvard Gazette - May 15th, 2021
- Heart attack recovery aided by injecting heart muscle cells that overexpress cyclin D2 - The Mix - May 15th, 2021
- Vertex and CRISPR Therapeutics to Present New Clinical Data - GlobeNewswire - May 15th, 2021
- Rocket Pharmaceuticals Presents Positive Clinical Data from Fanconi Anemia, Leukocyte Adhesion Deficiency-I, and Pyruvate Kinase Deficiency Programs... - May 15th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Global Market Report 2021: COVID-19 Growth And Change To 2030 - Yahoo Finance - May 3rd, 2021
- Stem cell therapy for COPD: Cost, effectiveness, and more - Medical News Today - May 3rd, 2021
- Thomas Smeenk on Hemostemix's autologous stem cell therapy technology and why some call it 'the fountain of youth' - InvestorIntel - May 3rd, 2021
- Mesoblast says its stem cell treatment saved lives of severely ill COVID patients - Stockhead - May 3rd, 2021
- Antiviral T cells protected, viable as off-the-shelf treatment for painful complication stem cells - Microbioz India - May 3rd, 2021
- Investigating CAR T-Cell Therapy for Use in Different Disease Types - Targeted Oncology - May 3rd, 2021
- Should scientists be allowed to grow human embryos in a dish beyond 14 days? Is it scientifically important or morally wrong? - USA TODAY - May 3rd, 2021
- Hope, hype and exploitation the wild history of stem cell science - ABC News - May 3rd, 2021
- Brave New World is being reinvented with synthetic embryosand the right reasons - SYFY WIRE - May 3rd, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Trends Evaluation 2021 By Leading Players Updates, Consumer-Demand, Key Strategies, Consumption, Industry Development, Market... - May 3rd, 2021
- STEM NOLA Teams with Obatala Science & CellSpring to Expose Students to Careers and Medical Research at Biotech Startups - PRNewswire - May 3rd, 2021
- Breakthrough gene therapies in sight | UNC-Chapel Hill - UNC Chapell Hill - May 3rd, 2021
- FDA's Abecma Approval a 'Great Blessing' for Patients with Multiple Myeloma - Curetoday.com - May 3rd, 2021
- Enhanced inhibition of tumor growth using TRAIL-overexpressing adipose-derived stem cells in combination with the chemotherapeutic agent CPT-11 in... - May 3rd, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020-2027 Trends, industry vertical, along with the geography, delivering valuable insights | Reportspedia Clark... - May 3rd, 2021
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market Report 2021 by Global Key Players, Types, Applications, Countries, Size, Forecast to 2027 Clark County... - May 3rd, 2021
- CRISPRoff Reversible Epigenome Editing Method Could Enable Safer, More Precise Therapeutics - GenomeWeb - May 3rd, 2021
- Cell Therapy Market To Expand At An expeditious Growth Rate From 2021-2027 | Thermo Fisher Scientific, Nanofiber Solutions, Advanced Biomatrix,... - May 3rd, 2021
- FTC continues to crack down on companies peddling fake COVID treatments and cures - HamletHub - May 3rd, 2021
- ThermoGenesis : The History of Cell and Gene Therapy - marketscreener.com - April 18th, 2021
- Russell Health Honored in Global Business Leaders Magazine's '20 Leading Companies of the Year 2021' - PRNewswire - April 18th, 2021
- Durable B-ALL Control With Allogeneic Transplant After CAR T-Cell Therapy - Cancer Therapy Advisor - April 18th, 2021
- CRISPR lauds easy scale-out of cell therapy - BioProcess Insider - BioProcess Insider - April 18th, 2021
- NeoProgen, Inc. Receives First Granted Patent for Method to Treat Cardiac Conditions using Neonatal Heart-derived Medicinal Signaling Cells (nMSCs)... - April 18th, 2021
- CRISPR gene therapy for sickle cell disease approved by the FDA - BioNews - April 18th, 2021
- Man's heart healed by stem cell therapy and love of an old flame - Leeds Live - April 18th, 2021
- Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies Market Professional Report 2021 Witness Robust Expansion by 2026 SoccerNurds - SoccerNurds - April 18th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis 2021: Size, Share, Sales, Growth, Revenue, Type, Application & Forecast To 2027 SoccerNurds - SoccerNurds - April 18th, 2021
- Mastitis therapy explored | AG | kmaland.com - KMAland - April 18th, 2021
- CAR T-Cell Therapy Enters the Arena in Multiple Myeloma With Ongoing Research Ahead - OncLive - April 18th, 2021
- Leukemia Cutis: Symptoms and Treatment - Healthline - April 18th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market is Set to Witness Impressive Growth | Top Players Osiris Therapeutics, Inc. (US), MEDIPOST Co., Ltd. KSU | The Sentinel... - April 18th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 SWOT Analysis, Growth Rate, and Market Share By Type, Application and Global Forecast 2027 - Los Hijos de la... - April 18th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Potential Growth, Size, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Research Forecasts to 2025 - The Courier - March 8th, 2021
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Industry Analysis, Growth Factors, Trends, and Regional Forecast to 2027 - The Courier - March 8th, 2021
- Pericardial Injection Effective, Less Invasive Way to Get Regenerative Therapies to Heart - NC State News - March 8th, 2021
- Biomarkers Help Predict the Role of Chemotherapy in Biologic Aging - OncLive - March 8th, 2021
- Glial Cell Discovery Could Point the Way to Motor Neuron Disease Therapies - Technology Networks - March 8th, 2021
- Mouth Sores from Chemo: Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments - Healthline - February 19th, 2021
- ThermoGenesis Holdings Begins a Year of Celebration of its 35th Anniversary in the Cell Banking and Cell Therapy Industry - PRNewswire - February 19th, 2021
- Meet the women hoping to recruit more stem cells donors from Black communities - CTV News - February 19th, 2021
- CAR T-Cell Therapy Carves Out a Role in Multiple Myeloma - OncLive - February 19th, 2021
- AI project to power the future of stem cell manufacturing - TechCentral.ie - February 17th, 2021
- Promising Results for Stem Cell Treatment of Degenerative ... - February 14th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy for Heart Disease - Cleveland Clinic - February 14th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy for Stroke Recovery | University of ... - February 14th, 2021
- Stem Cell Treatment: Future of Modern Medicine | Science Times - February 14th, 2021
- Researchers may have found a miracle cure for baldness - BGR - February 14th, 2021
- Types of leukemia: Prevalence, treatment options, and prognosis - Medical News Today - February 14th, 2021
- Jasper Therapeutics Announces Launch of New Clinical Trial with National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute to Evaluate JSP191 in Sickle Cell Disease -... - February 14th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Set to Reach USD 214.5 Million by 2024 - The Courier - February 14th, 2021
- Keep it Flowing: Combating COVID-19 Blood Shortages in Cancer Treatment - Curetoday.com - February 14th, 2021
- Network-based screen in iPSC-derived cells reveals therapeutic candidate for heart valve disease - Science - February 14th, 2021
- AlloVir Research Presented at the 2021 Transplantation & Cellular Therapy Meeting Digital Experience - Business Wire - February 14th, 2021
- Orchard Therapeutics talks the benefits of HSC therapy - BioProcess Insider - February 14th, 2021
- Protein Discovery in the Development of New Hearing Hair Cells Could Lead to Treatments for Hearing Loss - SciTechDaily - February 7th, 2021
- Stem cells efficacy confirmed in treating ototoxic hearing loss - Korea Biomedical Review - February 4th, 2021
- Groundbreaking Trial Shows Umbilical-Cord Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cell Infusions Save Lives of Sickest COVID-19 Patients - HospiMedica - January 22nd, 2021
- Massive Growth in Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Set to Witness Huge Growth by 2027| VETSTEM BIOPHARMA, Cell Therapy Sciences, Regeneus, Aratana... - January 22nd, 2021
- Autologous stem cell transplantation versus bortezomib for the first line treatment of systemic light chain amyloidosis in the UK - DocWire News - January 22nd, 2021
- Promising Steps Toward Retinal Cell Transplants to Fight Blindness - HealthDay News - January 22nd, 2021