Patients withgeneticlysosomal storagediseases particularly children are living longer because of better treatments. But with promising advances and longer lives comes complications, the loss of eyesight as these rare diseases take their toll over time.
Lysosomal storage diseases are inherited metabolic diseases that are characterized by an abnormal build-up of various toxic materials in the bodys cells as a result of enzyme deficiencies, according to theNational Organization for Rare Disorders. With these diseases, patients are missing the mucopolysaccharidosis type 1 (MPS1) gene. Current therapies that allow patients to live longer dont address corneal clouding caused by these diseases. However, one Carolina-affiliated startup, RainBio, isdeveloping anovel gene therapyforMPSI corneal blindness, giving patients a chance not only for longer lives but better ones.
The companys treatment, RBIO-1, is poised to meet a large unmet medical need in ophthalmology.Co-foundedbyMatt Hirsch,associate professor of ophthalmology at the UNC Gene Therapy Center, RainBio is the only ocular gene therapy pioneer focused on blindness in the cornea. The companys adeno-associated virus vector gene therapy can directly correct cornea cellular function to maintain or restore vision in patients at risk of blindness. The companys first candidate is a groundbreaking, first-in-class lead program for corneal clouding in MPS1 patients who have vision loss.
As we look at what is being done in the ophthalmology space, we see that most [adeno-associated virus] therapeutics are focused on the back of the eye the retina, but nobody seems to be looking at the front of the eye the cornea, says Fran Martin, RainBio president. If we can provide those affected with lysosomal storage diseases a mechanism where they can see, theyd be able to have a better quality of life.
The idea for RainBios treatment started less than five years ago, when Dr. Joanne Kurtzberg, a pediatric bone marrow transplant specialist, who conducts stem cell transplants in children with lysosomal storage diseases at Duke, met with Hirsch and Samulski to figure out how to potentially address the blindness that comes with lysosomal storage disease. Kurtzberg works with stem cell therapies that can extend the longevity of life for kids affected but dont address the loss of sight. Hirsch realized if he could replace the missing gene in the cornea, those kids could regain their sight.
With our product, you inject the missing gene right into the cornea, says Martin. This allows for prevention of corneal clouding or blindness, and can even reverse the blindness or cornea clouding if the treatment is given early enough.
For kids who are losing their sight, another option is to have a cornea transplant. But those transplants dont come without risk.
Corneal transplants can sometimes result in high rejection rates and potential infection, adds Martin. We can offer an additional treatment that patients can try before moving to a transplant.
The RainBio team often collaborates with colleagues at local universities as well asJoseph Muenzer,a professor of pediatric genetics and metabolism at the School of Medicine, who treats children affected bylysosomal storage diseases.Jude Samulski, professor of pharmacology at the Gene Therapy Center in the UNC School of Medicine and a pioneer in gene therapy, also contributed to the patents for the product.
A lot of expertise in gene therapy was developed over the past few decades at UNC, says Martin. That expertise has benefited RainBio, and weve benefited from the input into the science around our product as well.
To make the best use of resources, the RainBio team benefits from collaborating withKickStart Venture Services as well as Carolinas Office of Technology Commercialization. KickStart supports faculty startup formation, business development and growth by providing coaching and mentoring, early-stage funding, connection with key service providers, management, investors and space. Both KickStart and the Office of Technology Commercialization. are part of Innovate Carolina, the University-wide initiative for innovation and entrepreneurship.
Its been a pleasure to work with KickStart and OTC to really get the guidance and resources needed as weve grown as a company, says Martin. They helped us work through the Carolina Express License and have been very supportive in helping us to understand the process as well as in providing resources as we think through our strategy as a growing company.
The Carolina Express license assists Carolina startups by streamlining and speeding the path for UNC-Chapel Hill faculty, students or staff startup founders to translate new discoveries into useful products.
Alongside Epigenos Bioscience, the RainBio team also had the opportunity in fall 2020 to present to approximately 20 advisors who gave them advice on how to continue commercializing their technology and growing their business, even in the midst of a pandemic. This is one of the programs that Kickstart adapted online to continue providing support for startups. Advice and guidance offered at advisory meetings includes anything from R&D to fundraising and strategy. Other startup companies that would like to present can get in touch with KickStart to be considered for a future meeting.
In addition, RainBio received a $100,000 loan fromNCBiotechas well as support from theMPS Society, which funded a key rabbit toxicology study. RainBio also collaborated with NC State University through co-founderBrian Gilger, who has conducted the toxicology studies at the NC State School of Veterinary Medicine.
And for patients who are ready to try RainBiosRBIO-1 treatment,Martin says the idea of a one-time dose is promising.
Although we are still testing the product, whats also unique about this treatment is that only one dose may be required. In addition, a very small amount of product around 250 times less will be needed compared to other treatments on the market for retinal blindness, she adds.
Although the company only launched in June 2020, RainBio already has pre-clinical efficacy and safety data and is poised to meet with the US Food and Drug Administration.
Even though were not even a year old, we have orphan drug designation and rare pediatric disease designation that was granted to us by the FDA, says Martin. We have pre-clinical efficacy in theMPS1canine model, and 100 percent prevention and reversal of cornea blindness.
RainBio is developing aplatform for additional treatmentsfor blinding corneal diseases.
There are several Lysosomal storage diseases that have the same cornea blindness issue, says Martin. Although its a different gene that is missing, we believe as we prove this concept inMPS1patients, then it will be translatable to otherlysosomal storagediseases.
As RainBio continues to grow and develop its product, next steps include accessing additional funding to manufacture the product and get it into the clinic.
- 5 potential benefits of exosome treatment - AZ Big Media - June 8th, 2021
- Orion and the Blood Service launch collaboration to develop new CAR T-cell cancer therapy - Yahoo Finance Australia - June 8th, 2021
- Improvements in the Treatment of Patients With MCL Over the Past Decade - Oncology Learning Network - June 8th, 2021
- Novo Nordisk partners with Heartseed on heart failure cell therapy - PMLiVE - June 8th, 2021
- Citius Pharmaceuticals to be Added to Russell 2000 Index - BioSpace - June 8th, 2021
- IN8bio Completes Treatment of First Cohort in Phase 1 Clinical Trial with Gamma Delta T-Cell Therapy in Patients with Newly Diagnosed Glioblastoma... - June 8th, 2021
- Regenerative medicine: moving next-gen treatments from lab to clinic - Pharmaceutical Technology - June 8th, 2021
- Global $30+ Billion Cell Therapy Bioprocessing Market to 2028: Market Opportunities in Automated Procedures to Produce Cell Therapies - PRNewswire - June 8th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell & Regenerative Medicine Market Report Forecast to 2027 3M Group Novartis AG Integra Gene Therapies The Manomet Current - The... - June 8th, 2021
- Novel CAR-T Cell Therapy Produces Early and Deep Responses in Certain Patients with Multiple Myeloma - Curetoday.com - June 8th, 2021
- BioRestorative Therapies to Present at the Emerging Growth Conference on June 9, 2021 - StreetInsider.com - June 8th, 2021
- Innovent Biologics and IASO Biotherapeutics to Present Updated Data from its Anti-BCMA CAR-T Therapy in Relapsed/Refractory Multiple Myeloma at... - June 8th, 2021
- High Rate of Response Noted in MCL and CLL With Cirmtuzumab Plus Ibrutinib - Cancer Network - June 8th, 2021
- Dr. Ghosh on the Role of Off-the-Shelf CAR T-Cell Therapy in Myeloma June - OncLive - June 8th, 2021
- Triplet Combo of Polatuzumab Vedotin, Rituximab and Lenalidomide Safe, Effective to Treat Relapsed/Refractory DLBCL - Cancer Network - June 8th, 2021
- Income, Education Affect Treatment and Survival in MDS - DocWire News - June 8th, 2021
- Polatuzumab With Rituximab and Lenalidomide Shown Safe and Effective for Relapsed/Refractory DLBCL - Targeted Oncology - June 8th, 2021
- Early Promise Observed With Lisaftoclax in Relapsed/Refractory CLL and Other Hematologic Malignancies - Targeted Oncology - June 8th, 2021
- Mustang Bio to Host Key Opinion Leader Webinar on MB-106 CD20-Targeted CAR T for - GlobeNewswire - June 8th, 2021
- FDA Lifts Hold on bluebird bio's Sickle Cell and Beta-Thalassemia Gene Therapies - BioSpace - June 8th, 2021
- Abecma Continues to Improve Survival in Heavily Pretreated Patients With Multiple Myeloma - Curetoday.com - June 8th, 2021
- HSCT-Sparing, Chemotherapy-Free Treatment of Ph+ ALL With Ponatinib/Blinatumomab Leads to 100% CR Rate - Cancer Network - June 8th, 2021
- Fate Therapeutics Highlights Positive Interim Data from its Phase 1 Study of FT516 in Combination with - GlobeNewswire - June 8th, 2021
- Action Taken by Governor Phil Scott on Legislation - June 7, 2021 - Office of Governor Phil Scott - June 8th, 2021
- Cancer research: New advances and innovations - Medical News Today - June 8th, 2021
- Naturally Treat & Heal The Cause of Pain with Regenerative Therapies - The Mountaineer - May 15th, 2021
- CAR T-Cell Therapy UCARTCS1A Shows Early Activity in Relapsed/Refractory Myeloma - OncLive - May 15th, 2021
- Rinri Therapeutics Secures Innovate UK Funding Grant for 3.2m Project to Advance its Novel Cell-Based Therapy to Restore Hearing Loss - PRNewswire - May 15th, 2021
- With $52 Million Series A, Appia Bio Anticipates a Bright Future in Cell Therapy - BioSpace - May 15th, 2021
- Genenta Phase I/II Glioblastoma Data at ASGCT Show Temferon Delivered Tumor-Focused Interferon ExpressionData presented at the 2021 American Society... - May 15th, 2021
- Safety and Efficacy of Consolidation Therapy with Ipilimumab Plus Nivolumab after Autologous Stem Cell Transplantation - DocWire News - May 15th, 2021
- Fascination with stem cell sensation leads to Fulbright scholarship - Monash University - May 15th, 2021
- Omeros' Narsoplimab Pivotal Trial Data to Be Shared as an Oral Presentation at the European Hematology Association Congress - Business Wire - May 15th, 2021
- Munshi Explains Staging, Prognosis, and Treatment for a Patient With Acute Graft-vs-Host-Disease - Targeted Oncology - May 15th, 2021
- KD-PACE Salvage Therapy for Aggressive Relapsed Refractory Multiple Myeloma, Plasma Cell Leukemia and Extramedullary Myeloma - DocWire News - May 15th, 2021
- Icy Microneedle Patch Delivers Cell Therapy, Then Melts - Freethink - May 15th, 2021
- FDA Responds to Creative Medical Technology Holdings Regarding Its ImmCelz IND for Stroke Treatment - BioSpace - May 15th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market 2021 Type and End-use Industry 2026 Orange County Hair Restoration Center,... - May 15th, 2021
- Allogeneic Mesenchymal Stem Cell Segment Is Expected To Lead In the Global Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market over the Forecast Period,... - May 15th, 2021
- Advanced Therapy Medicinal Products Market Size Worth $21.2 Billion By 2028: Grand View Research, Inc. - PRNewswire - May 15th, 2021
- New connection between metabolism and red blood cell development - Harvard Gazette - May 15th, 2021
- Heart attack recovery aided by injecting heart muscle cells that overexpress cyclin D2 - The Mix - May 15th, 2021
- Vertex and CRISPR Therapeutics to Present New Clinical Data - GlobeNewswire - May 15th, 2021
- Rocket Pharmaceuticals Presents Positive Clinical Data from Fanconi Anemia, Leukocyte Adhesion Deficiency-I, and Pyruvate Kinase Deficiency Programs... - May 15th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Global Market Report 2021: COVID-19 Growth And Change To 2030 - Yahoo Finance - May 3rd, 2021
- Stem cell therapy for COPD: Cost, effectiveness, and more - Medical News Today - May 3rd, 2021
- Thomas Smeenk on Hemostemix's autologous stem cell therapy technology and why some call it 'the fountain of youth' - InvestorIntel - May 3rd, 2021
- Mesoblast says its stem cell treatment saved lives of severely ill COVID patients - Stockhead - May 3rd, 2021
- Antiviral T cells protected, viable as off-the-shelf treatment for painful complication stem cells - Microbioz India - May 3rd, 2021
- Investigating CAR T-Cell Therapy for Use in Different Disease Types - Targeted Oncology - May 3rd, 2021
- Should scientists be allowed to grow human embryos in a dish beyond 14 days? Is it scientifically important or morally wrong? - USA TODAY - May 3rd, 2021
- Hope, hype and exploitation the wild history of stem cell science - ABC News - May 3rd, 2021
- Brave New World is being reinvented with synthetic embryosand the right reasons - SYFY WIRE - May 3rd, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Trends Evaluation 2021 By Leading Players Updates, Consumer-Demand, Key Strategies, Consumption, Industry Development, Market... - May 3rd, 2021
- STEM NOLA Teams with Obatala Science & CellSpring to Expose Students to Careers and Medical Research at Biotech Startups - PRNewswire - May 3rd, 2021
- FDA's Abecma Approval a 'Great Blessing' for Patients with Multiple Myeloma - Curetoday.com - May 3rd, 2021
- Enhanced inhibition of tumor growth using TRAIL-overexpressing adipose-derived stem cells in combination with the chemotherapeutic agent CPT-11 in... - May 3rd, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020-2027 Trends, industry vertical, along with the geography, delivering valuable insights | Reportspedia Clark... - May 3rd, 2021
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market Report 2021 by Global Key Players, Types, Applications, Countries, Size, Forecast to 2027 Clark County... - May 3rd, 2021
- CRISPRoff Reversible Epigenome Editing Method Could Enable Safer, More Precise Therapeutics - GenomeWeb - May 3rd, 2021
- Cell Therapy Market To Expand At An expeditious Growth Rate From 2021-2027 | Thermo Fisher Scientific, Nanofiber Solutions, Advanced Biomatrix,... - May 3rd, 2021
- FTC continues to crack down on companies peddling fake COVID treatments and cures - HamletHub - May 3rd, 2021
- ThermoGenesis : The History of Cell and Gene Therapy - marketscreener.com - April 18th, 2021
- Russell Health Honored in Global Business Leaders Magazine's '20 Leading Companies of the Year 2021' - PRNewswire - April 18th, 2021
- Durable B-ALL Control With Allogeneic Transplant After CAR T-Cell Therapy - Cancer Therapy Advisor - April 18th, 2021
- CRISPR lauds easy scale-out of cell therapy - BioProcess Insider - BioProcess Insider - April 18th, 2021
- NeoProgen, Inc. Receives First Granted Patent for Method to Treat Cardiac Conditions using Neonatal Heart-derived Medicinal Signaling Cells (nMSCs)... - April 18th, 2021
- CRISPR gene therapy for sickle cell disease approved by the FDA - BioNews - April 18th, 2021
- Man's heart healed by stem cell therapy and love of an old flame - Leeds Live - April 18th, 2021
- Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies Market Professional Report 2021 Witness Robust Expansion by 2026 SoccerNurds - SoccerNurds - April 18th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis 2021: Size, Share, Sales, Growth, Revenue, Type, Application & Forecast To 2027 SoccerNurds - SoccerNurds - April 18th, 2021
- Mastitis therapy explored | AG | kmaland.com - KMAland - April 18th, 2021
- CAR T-Cell Therapy Enters the Arena in Multiple Myeloma With Ongoing Research Ahead - OncLive - April 18th, 2021
- Leukemia Cutis: Symptoms and Treatment - Healthline - April 18th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market is Set to Witness Impressive Growth | Top Players Osiris Therapeutics, Inc. (US), MEDIPOST Co., Ltd. KSU | The Sentinel... - April 18th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 SWOT Analysis, Growth Rate, and Market Share By Type, Application and Global Forecast 2027 - Los Hijos de la... - April 18th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Potential Growth, Size, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Research Forecasts to 2025 - The Courier - March 8th, 2021
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Industry Analysis, Growth Factors, Trends, and Regional Forecast to 2027 - The Courier - March 8th, 2021
- Pericardial Injection Effective, Less Invasive Way to Get Regenerative Therapies to Heart - NC State News - March 8th, 2021
- Biomarkers Help Predict the Role of Chemotherapy in Biologic Aging - OncLive - March 8th, 2021