- First conditional approval of ZYNTEGLOTM (autologous CD34+ cells encoding A-T87Q-globin gene) gene therapy for patients 12 years and older with transfusion-dependent -thalassemia who do not have 0/0 genotype in Europe achieved in 2019; Germany launch underway
- Announced positive top-line data from pivotal Phase 2 KarMMa study of ide-cel in relapsed and refractory multiple myeloma
- Presented clinical data across studies of LentiGlobin gene therapy for -thalassemia (betibeglogene autotemcel) and LentiGlobin gene therapy for sickle cell disease (SCD) and bb21217 in multiple myeloma at American Society of Hematology (ASH) Annual Meeting
- Ended quarter with $1.24 billion in cash, cash equivalents and marketable securities
bluebird bio, Inc. (NASDAQ: BLUE) today reported financial results and business highlights for the fourth quarter and full year ended December 31, 2019.
"2019 was truly a transformative year for bluebird, with our first commercial product now launched in Europe and exciting progress across our first four clinical programs and pipeline," said Nick Leschly, chief bluebird. "Notably, our data in SCD continues to build, and at the ASH annual meeting in December we presented data that showed a 99% reduction in the annualized rate of vaso-occlusive crises (VOC) and acute chest syndrome (ACS) in HGB-206 Group C patients with history of VOCs and ACS who had at least six months follow-up. In -thalassemia, the consistency with which patients who do not have a 0/0 genotype in our Northstar-2 (HGB-207) study are achieving transfusion independence is very encouraging and were starting to see indications that we may be able to see similar outcomes with many patients with 0/0 genotypes as well in our Northstar-3 (HGB-212 study). These data put us in a strong position as we progress our European launch, currently underway in Germany. At the end of 2019, we also announced positive top-line data from the pivotal KarMMa study of ide-cel. We and our partners at BMS look forward to submitting these data to the FDA in the first half of this year. Amidst all of our progress in 2019, our birds demonstrated time and again their dedication to patients and ability to meet and learn from the many challenges we have faced along the way. I look forward to facing the challenges of 2020 with this amazing flock."
SICKLE CELL DISEASE (SCD)
Upcoming Anticipated Milestones:
Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2019 Financial Results
LentiGlobin for -thalassemia Safety
Non-serious adverse events (AEs) observed during the HGB-204, HGB-207 and HGB-212 clinical studies that were attributed to LentiGlobin for -thalassemia were hot flush, dyspnoea, abdominal pain, pain in extremities, thrombocytopenia, leukopenia, neutropenia and non-cardiac chest pain. One serious adverse event (SAE) of thrombocytopenia was considered possibly related to LentiGlobin for -thalassemia for TDT.
Additional AEs observed in clinical studies were consistent with the known side effects of HSC collection and bone marrow ablation with busulfan, including SAEs of veno-occlusive disease.
With more than five years of follow-up to date, there have been no new unexpected safety events, no deaths, no graft failure and no cases of vector-mediated replication competent lentivirus or clonal dominance. In addition, there have been no new reports of veno-occlusive liver disease (VOD) as of the data cutoff presented at ASH.
About LentiGlobin for -Thalassemia (betibeglogene autotemcel)
The European Commission granted conditional marketing authorization for LentiGlobin for -thalassemia, to be marketed as ZYNTEGLO (autologous CD34+ cells encoding A-T87Q-globin gene) gene therapy, for patients 12 years and older with TDT who do not have a 0/0 genotype, for whom hematopoietic stem cell (HSC) transplantation is appropriate, but a human leukocyte antigen (HLA)-matched related HSC donor is not available.
TDT is a severe genetic disease caused by mutations in the -globin gene that result in reduced or significantly reduced hemoglobin (Hb). In order to survive, people with TDT maintain Hb levels through lifelong chronic blood transfusions. These transfusions carry the risk of progressive multi-organ damage due to unavoidable iron overload.
LentiGlobin for -thalassemia adds functional copies of a modified form of the -globin gene (A-T87Q-globin gene) into a patients own hematopoietic (blood) stem cells (HSCs). Once a patient has the A-T87Q-globin gene, they have the potential to produce HbAT87Q, which is gene therapy-derived hemoglobin, at levels that may eliminate or significantly reduce the need for transfusions.
The conditional marketing authorization for ZYNTEGLO is only valid in the 28 member states of the EU as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. For details, please see the Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC).
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration granted LentiGlobin for -thalassemia Orphan Drug status and Breakthrough Therapy designation for the treatment of TDT.
bluebird bio has initiated its rolling BLA submission of LentiGlobin for -thalassemia for approval in the U.S. and is engaged with the FDA in discussions regarding the requirements and timing of certain information to be provided in the BLA, including information regarding various release assays for LentiGlobin for -thalassemia. Subject to these ongoing discussions, the company is currently planning to complete the BLA submission in the second half of 2020.
LentiGlobin for -thalassemia continues to be evaluated in the ongoing Phase 3 Northstar-2 and Northstar-3 studies. For more information about the ongoing clinical studies, visit http://www.northstarclinicalstudies.com or clinicaltrials.gov and use identifier NCT02906202 for Northstar-2 (HGB-207), NCT03207009 for Northstar-3 (HGB-212).
bluebird bio is conducting a long-term safety and efficacy follow-up study (LTF-303) for people who have participated in bluebird bio-sponsored clinical studies of LentiGlobin for -thalassemia. For more information visit: https://www.bluebirdbio.com/our-science/clinical-trials or clinicaltrials.gov and use identifier NCT02633943 for LTF-303.
About bluebird bio, Inc.
bluebird bio is pioneering gene therapy with purpose. From our Cambridge, Mass., headquarters, were developing gene therapies for severe genetic diseases and cancer, with the goal that people facing potentially fatal conditions with limited treatment options can live their lives fully. Beyond our labs, were working to positively disrupt the healthcare system to create access, transparency and education so that gene therapy can become available to all those who can benefit.
bluebird bio is a human company powered by human stories. Were putting our care and expertise to work across a spectrum of disorders including cerebral adrenoleukodystrophy, sickle cell disease, -thalassemia and multiple myeloma, using three gene therapy technologies: gene addition, cell therapy and (megaTAL-enabled) gene editing.
bluebird bio has additional nests in Seattle, Wash.; Durham, N.C.; and Zug, Switzerland. For more information, visit bluebirdbio.com.
Follow bluebird bio on social media: @bluebirdbio, LinkedIn, Instagram and YouTube.
ZYNTEGLO, LentiGlobin, and bluebird bio are trademarks of bluebird bio, Inc.
The full common name for ZYNTEGLO: A genetically modified autologous CD34+ cell enriched population that contains hematopoietic stem cells transduced with lentiviral vector encoding the A-T87Q-globin gene.
This release contains "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, including statements regarding the companys financial condition, results of operations, as well as statements regarding the plans for regulatory submissions and commercialization for ZYNTEGLO and the companys product candidates, including anticipated regulatory milestones, the execution of the companys commercial launch plans, planned clinical studies, as well as the companys intentions regarding the timing for providing further updates on the development and commercialization of ZYNTEGLO and the companys product candidates. Any forward-looking statements are based on managements current expectations of future events and are subject to a number of risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially and adversely from those set forth in or implied by such forward-looking statements. These risks and uncertainties include, but are not limited to, the risks that the preliminary positive efficacy and safety results from our prior and ongoing clinical trials will not continue or be repeated in our ongoing or future clinical trials; the risk of cessation or delay of any of the ongoing or planned clinical studies and/or our development of our product candidates; the risk that the current or planned clinical trials of our product candidates will be insufficient to support regulatory submissions or marketing approval in the United States and European Union; the risk that regulatory authorities will require additional information regarding our product candidates, resulting in delay to our anticipated timelines for regulatory submissions, including our applications for marketing approval; the risk that we will encounter challenges in the commercial launch of ZYNTEGLO in the European Union, including in managing our complex supply chain for the delivery of drug product, in the adoption of value-based payment models, or in obtaining sufficient coverage or reimbursement for our products; the risk that our collaborations, including the collaborations with Bristol-Myers Squibb and Forty Seven, will not continue or will not be successful; and the risk that any one or more of our product candidates, will not be successfully developed, approved or commercialized. For a discussion of other risks and uncertainties, and other important factors, any of which could cause our actual results to differ from those contained in the forward-looking statements, see the section entitled "Risk Factors" in our most recent Form 10-K, as well as discussions of potential risks, uncertainties, and other important factors in our subsequent filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. All information in this press release is as of the date of the release, and bluebird bio undertakes no duty to update this information unless required by law.
bluebird bio, Inc.Condensed Consolidated Statements of Operations and Comprehensive Loss(in thousands, except per share data)(unaudited)
For the three months endedDecember 31,
For the year endedDecember 31,
License and royalty revenue
Research and development
Selling, general and administrative
Cost of license and royalty revenue
Change in fair value of contingent consideration
Total operating expenses
Loss from operations
Interest income, net
Other (expense) income, net
- Mount Sinai Leading the Way in Innovative Stem Cell Therapy for COVID-19 Patients - Newswise - April 9th, 2020
- First Stem Cell Clinical Trial for Protection Against COVID-19 Approved by FDA - HospiMedica - April 9th, 2020
- Moving toward Nonchemotherapy-Based Approaches in Follicular Lymphoma - Cancer Network - April 9th, 2020
- Seneca Biopharma Announces Results of Meeting with FDA Regarding the Design of Phase 3 Trial for NSI-566 in ALS - P&T Community - April 9th, 2020
- Immunotherapy After Chemotherapy Improves Outcomes in Metastatic Bladder Cancer - Curetoday.com - April 9th, 2020
- Celularity Expands Strategic Collaboration with United Therapeutics Corporation to COVID-19 Infection and Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome - Yahoo... - April 9th, 2020
- UCSD To Advance Stem Cell Therapies in New Space Station Lab - Technology Networks - April 9th, 2020
- Convalescent plasma therapy useful in treating COVID-19 - Anadolu Ajans - April 9th, 2020
- Stempeutics partners with Global Consortium of cell therapy companies - BSI bureau - April 9th, 2020
- DNA Repair Gene-Related CHIP Is a Marker for Worse Outcomes in Patients With Lymphoma - Cancer Therapy Advisor - April 9th, 2020
- Canadian Company STEMCELL Technologies Is an Essential Industry Partner for COVID-19 Research and Vaccine Development - Financial Post - April 8th, 2020
- SNUH team finds causal gene of inherited retinal disorder - Korea Biomedical Review - April 8th, 2020
- FDA Accepts IND for NK Cell Therapy CYNK-001 to Treat Patients with COVID-19 - Cancer Network - April 8th, 2020
- Fate Therapeutics Strikes Multi-Billion Dollar Cell Therapy Deal with Janssen - BioSpace - April 8th, 2020
- Beam Therapeutics Licenses SIRION Biotech's LentiBOOST Technology for its CAR-T pipeline - Business Wire - April 8th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Stem Cell Therapy Identify Which Types of Companies Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the Impact of COVID-19 - Science... - April 8th, 2020
- Nurses life-saving stem cell transplant leaves her with an addiction to Monster Munch just like her don - The Sun - April 8th, 2020
- Covid-19 Impact on Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market (2020-2026) - Science In Me - April 8th, 2020
- CYTOVIA Therapeutics and MACROMOLTEK to Develop Dual-Acting Natural Killer Immunotherapy Against SARS CoV2 (COVID-19) - GlobeNewswire - April 8th, 2020
- Coronavirus Update: Cell Therapy Reportedly Appears Promising To Beat COVID-19 - International Business Times - April 7th, 2020
- panCELLa receives research and development support for cell therapy - Yahoo Finance - April 7th, 2020
- Relief Therapeutics (RLF:SIX) Drug Aviptadil Enters FDA Trial at University of Miami, to Treat COVID-19-induced Respiratory Distress - Yahoo Finance - April 7th, 2020
- Stempeutics partners with Global Consortium of cell therapy companies - Express Healthcare - April 7th, 2020
- CYTOVIA Therapeutics and MACROMOLTEK to Develop Dual-Acting Natural Killer Immunotherapy Against SARS CoV2 (COVID-19) - BioSpace - April 7th, 2020
- Stem Cell Network Warns that Claims of Stem Cell Treatments for COVID-19 Are Unfounded and Misleading - Benzinga - April 2nd, 2020
- FibroGenesis Files Expanded Patent Coverage for its Fibroblast Cell Therapy to treat Coronavirus (COVID-19) ARDS - Yahoo Finance - April 2nd, 2020
- Cork man shares hacks for isolation that stopped him from 'going insane' - Echo Live - April 2nd, 2020
- Notice Regarding Business Alliance Between Sanbio and Ocumension in the Research, Development and Commercialization of Innovative Stem Cell Therapies... - April 2nd, 2020
- Designer, injectable gels to prevent transplanted Schwann cell loss during spinal cord injury therapy - Science Advances - April 2nd, 2020
- David Setboun Joins BrainStorm as Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer - GlobeNewswire - April 2nd, 2020
- Global Cell Therapy Technologies Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast (2019-2026) - Publicist360 - April 2nd, 2020
- CytoDyn Files a Clinical Trial Protocol with the FDA to Treat Severely Ill COVID-19 Patients with Leronlimab where the Primary Endpoint is Mortality... - April 2nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Network Warns that Claims of Stem Cell Treatments for COVID-19 Are Unfounded and Misleading - GlobeNewswire - March 31st, 2020
- ElevateBio reels in $170M to push 6 cell, gene therapy programs - FierceBiotech - March 31st, 2020
- Stem Cells, Nerves Found to Interact in Cancer Progression - Pharmacy Times - March 31st, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market by Players, Types and Applications with In-Depth Research On Industry Size ... - The Financial News Daily - March 31st, 2020
- Blood donors in high demand - Dominion Post - The Dominion Post - March 29th, 2020
- Reversing The Ageing Process With Stem Cell Therapy - Version Weekly - March 29th, 2020
- Positive Opinion from European Medicines Agency for Sanofi's Isatuximab in R/R Multiple Myeloma - OncoZine - March 28th, 2020
- Global Autologous Cell Therapy Market 2020-2024 | Evolving Opportunities with Bayer AG and Brainstorm Cell Therapeutics Inc. | Technavio - Business... - March 28th, 2020
- Global Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation (HSCT) Market 2020-2024 | Evolving Opportunities with AllCells Corp. and bluebird bio Inc. | Technavio... - March 28th, 2020
- HIV/AIDS cure: Second patient confirmed HIV-free and here's the treatment that cured him - EconoTimes - March 28th, 2020
- Donald Trump Is Using An Insanely Sketchy Newsletter To Find Campaign Donors - The Union Journal - March 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market 2020 | Growing Rapidly with Significant CAGR, Leading Players, Innovative Trends and Expected Revenue by 2026 -... - March 28th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Dynamics, Segments and Supply Demand 2029 - Packaging News 24 - March 28th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell and Gene Therapy Biological Testing Market (2019 to 2025) - Potential Growth Opportunities and Areas of Focus -... - March 27th, 2020
- Non-Profit Offers Free Stem Cell Therapy to Veterans - Pain News Network - March 27th, 2020
- Vitro Biopharma First Quarter ended January 31, 2020 Financial Results of Operations - Yahoo Finance - March 27th, 2020
- Kalytera Therapeutics: improving bone marrow transplants with CBD - Health Europa - March 27th, 2020
- A new way to study HIV's impact on the brain - Penn: Office of University Communications - March 27th, 2020
- HKBU Collaborates with Golden Meditech to Conduct Cell Therapy Research - QS WOW News - March 27th, 2020
- Medigene Provides Results for Fiscal Year 2019 and Outlook - Yahoo Finance - March 26th, 2020
- What Does It Mean to Be Immunocompromised? - Dana-Farber Cancer Institute - March 26th, 2020
- Oscar Saxelby-Lee gets 'super cells' after having stem cell transplant from dad to fight off cancer - Ledbury Reporter - March 26th, 2020
- Study Shows Development of Young Cells Could be New Option in Cancer Care - BioSpace - March 26th, 2020
- Bone Therapeutics appoints Stefanos Theoharis as Chief Business Officer - Yahoo Finance - March 26th, 2020
- Uni kit to help with virus tests - Kent Online - March 26th, 2020
- Old human cells rejuvenated with stem cell technology - Stanford Medical Center Report - March 25th, 2020
- Can cell-based therapy be helpful in tackling coronavirus? - YourStory - March 25th, 2020
- YOUR HEALTH: A rare disease that hardens the skin - WQAD.com - March 25th, 2020
- Rationales for Selecting CD19-Targeted Therapy in R/R B-Cell ALL - Cancer Therapy Advisor - March 25th, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Bandera County Courier - March 24th, 2020
- Global Autologous Cell Therapy Market 2020-2024 | Evolving Opportunities with Bayer AG and Brainstorm Cell Therapeutics Inc. | Technavio - Yahoo... - March 24th, 2020
- Clinical trial to find effective Covid-19 treatments gets underway - Nursing Times - March 24th, 2020
- Pipeline: Investigational Therapies for COVID-19 - The Cardiology Advisor - March 24th, 2020
- Mentoring is a gift, asking for help a blessing - The Jewish News of Northern California - March 24th, 2020
- The Global Autologous Cell Therapy Market is expected to grow by USD 1.97 bn during 2020-2024, progressing at a CAGR of 22% during the forecast period... - March 24th, 2020
- The Forefront of Treating Hair Loss in Women - Yahoo Lifestyle - March 24th, 2020
- Two Additional Coronavirus Patients Treated at Leading New York Hospital with CytoDyn's Leronlimab, Bringing the Total to Four Patients - Associated... - March 24th, 2020
- Regulatory authorities approve JTA Phase III study in osteoarthritic knee pain and ALLOB Phase IIb study in difficult fractures | DNA RNA and Cells |... - March 24th, 2020
- Platelet Rich Plasma and Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment size in terms of volume and value 2019-2022 - Daily Science - March 24th, 2020
- Bone Therapeutics receives Clinical Trial Application (CTA) approval for next clinical studies of its two lead candidates - GlobeNewswire - March 24th, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Booming by Size, Revenue and Top Growing Companies APEX Biologix, Belgravia Center, RepliCel, Riken Research... - March 20th, 2020
- His Immune System Went Out of Whack. The Usual Treatment Didnt Work. Why? - The New York Times - March 18th, 2020
- China reports new progress in drug, therapies against Covid-19 - The Star Online - March 18th, 2020
- Imfinzi in Combination with Standard-of-Care Chemotherapies Improves Survival in Lung Cancer - Curetoday.com - March 18th, 2020
- What Are Drug Prevention and Treatment Options for COVID-19? - Pharmacy Times - March 18th, 2020
- Tessa Therapeutics to launch first CAR-T therapy for Hodgkin's lymphoma (HL) - BSA bureau - March 18th, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics Appoints Company Founder and Gene Therapy Pioneer Bobby Gaspar, MD, Ph.D., as New Chief Executive Officer - BioSpace - March 18th, 2020
- Fate Therapeutics: Potential Catalysts Ahead - Seeking Alpha - March 18th, 2020