Allogeneic stem cell transplantation involves transferring the stem cells from a healthy person (the donor) to your body after high-intensity chemotherapy or radiation.
Allogeneic stem cell transplantation is used to cure some patients who:
Allogeneic stem cell transplantation can be a high-risk procedure. The high-conditioning regimens are meant to severely or completely impair your ability to make stem cells and you will likely experience side effects during the days you receive high-dose conditioning radiation or chemotherapy. The goals of high-conditioning therapy are to:
The immune system and the blood system are closely linked and can't be separated from each other. Because of this, allogeneic transplantation means that not only the donor's blood system but also his or her immune system is transferred. As a result, these adverse effects are possible:
The immune reaction, or GVHD, is treated by administering drugs to the patient after the transplant that reduce the ability of the donated immune cells to attack and injure the patient's tissues.SeeGraft Versus Host Disease.
Allogeneic stem cell transplants for patients who are older or have overall poor health are relatively uncommon. This is because the pre-transplant conditioning therapy is generally not well tolerated by such patients, especially those with poorly functioning internal organs. However,reduced intensity allogeneic stem cell transplantsmay be an appropriate treatment for some older or sicker patients.
One goal of allogeneic stem cell transplant is to cause the T lymphocytes in the donor's blood or marrow to take hold (engraft) and grow in the patient's marrow. Sometimes the T lymphocytes attack the cancer cells. When this happens, it's called graft versus tumor (GVT) effect (also called graft versus cancer effect). The attack makes it less likely that the disease will return. This effect is more common in myeloid leukemias than it is in other blood cancers.
Unfortunately, T lymphocytes are the same cells that causegraft versus host disease(GVHD). Because of this serious and sometimes life-threatening side effect, doctors in certain cases want to decrease the number of T lymphocytes to be infused with the stem cells. This procedure, called T-lymphocyte depletion, is currently being studied by researchers. The technique involves treating the stem cells collected for transplant with agents that reduce the number of T lymphocytes.
The aim of T-lymphocyte depletion is to lessen GVHD's incidence and severity. However, it can also cause increased rates of graft rejection, a decreased GVT effect and a slower immune recovery. Doctors must be careful about the number of T lymphocytes removed when using this technique.
Stem cell selection is another technique being studied in clinical trials that can reduce the number of T lymphocytes that a patient receives. Because of specific features on the outer coat of stem cells, doctors can selectively remove stem cells from a cell mixture. This technique produces a large number of stem cells and fewer other cells, including T lymphocytes.
If you're considering allogeneic stem cell transplantation, you'll need a bone marrow donor. First, you and your siblings, if any, will have your blood or a scraping from your inside cheek tested to determine tissue type. A sibling has the potential to match you most closely because you both received your genes from the same parents.
A lab technician examines the surface of the sample tissue cells to identify the proteins that give everyone his or her own unique tissue type, called human leukocyte antigens (HLAs). If the HLA on the donor cells are identical (from identical twins, for example) or similar (such as those from siblings), the transplant is more likely to be successful. On average, you have a one in four chance of having the same HLA type as a sibling. Many patients, therefore, don't have a sibling with the same tissue type.
If a brother or sister doesn't provide a match, your doctor will search registries of volunteer donors such as theNational Marrow Donor Programfor an unrelated donor that matches your tissue type. A donor who's not related to you but who has a similar tissue type is called a matched unrelated donor (MUD).
Stem cells for transplantation are collected from three sources:
Before stem cells are collected from blood or bone marrow, the donor must undergo a thorough physical exam and blood testing for hepatitis viruses, human immunodeficiency disease (HIV) and other infectious agents or viruses.
The most common source of stem cells for transplant is peripheral blood, the blood that flows throughout our veins and arteries.
Bone marrow normally releases a small number of peripheral blood stem cells (PBSCs) into the bloodstream. To obtain enough PBSCs for a transplant, the donor takes a white cell growth factor, such as granulocyte-colony stimulating factor (G-CSF) drug, which increases the number of stem cells by drawing them out of the marrow and into the bloodstream. When a patient's own stem cells are used, both G-CSF and the chemotherapy used to treat the disease usually increase PBSCs. In patients who have myeloma and non-Hodgkin lymphoma, the drug plerixafor (Mozobil) can be used to mobilize their own stem cells.
The blood is removed from the donor and the cells collected using a process called apheresis, which involves placing a needle in the donor's vein, usually in the arm, similar to administering a blood test. The donor's blood is pumped through an apheresis machine, which separates the blood into four components: red cells, plasma, white cells and platelets. The white cells and platelets, which contain the stem cells, are collected, while the red cells and plasma are returned to the donor. It can take one to two sessions of apheresis to collect enough blood from a MUD. If you are your own donor, it may take more than two sessions.
If enough stem cells can't be retrieved from apheresis, they can be removed directly from the bone marrow. This requires the donor to undergo a minor outpatient surgical procedure.
While the donor is under anesthesia, the surgeon inserts a hollow needle into the donor's pelvic bones just below the waist and removes liquid marrow. This is done a number of times until several pints of marrow are collected. The donor can expect to stay in the hospital for six to eight hours after the procedure to recover from the anesthesia and the acute pain at the needle insertion sites. He or she may feel some lower back soreness for a few days afterward. The donor's body naturally replaces the marrow soon after the procedure. Red cells are also removed, and the donor may experience anemia, which is often treated with iron supplements.
The marrow that's removed (harvested) passes through a series of filters to remove bone or tissue fragments and is then placed in a plastic bag from which it can be infused into the recipient's vein. The marrow is usually given to the patient within a few hours and almost always within 24 hours. If necessary, however, marrow can be frozen and stored and will remain suitable for use for years. If the transplant is autologous, the marrow is usually frozen while the patient undergoes intensive chemotherapy.
A rich source of stem cells for blood cancer patients are the stored stem cells collected from the umbilical cord and placenta after a baby is born, called the cord blood unit. Parents may choose to have the cord blood unit collected after delivery. Healthy parents with healthy children and no transplant candidate in the family can choose to donate their newborn's cord blood to cord blood banks or research programs at participating hospitals. Parents with a child or a family member who could be a candidate for transplantation should discuss with their doctor the potential benefits of saving their newborn's cord blood for possible family use.
Advantages of Using Cord Blood
The advantages of using cord blood stem cells instead of donor peripheral blood or donor marrow stem cells include:
Disadvantages of Using Cord Blood
There can be disadvantages of using cord blood stem cells as well:
The decrease in marrow function often begins to take effect by the second or third day after an allogeneic stem cell infusion. You'll be kept in a protected environment to reduce contact with infectious agents. Generally within two to four weeks after the transplant, the engraftment of donated cells will be apparent from the appearance of normal white cells in your blood. You'll receive periodic transfusions of red cells and platelets until your marrow function has been restored by the transplanted stem cells.
Your doctor will carefully monitor you with physical exams, blood chemistry tests, imaging studies and other tests to ensure that your heart, lungs, kidneys, liver and other major organs are functioning normally. You'll need drugs to prevent GVHD, in addition to blood transfusions. If you're suffering from a poor appetite or diarrhea, you may need to be fed intravenously or through a duodenal tube (called hyperalimentation) to ensure you get adequate nutrition.
Continue reading here:
Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplantation | Leukemia and ...
- Daewoong to conduct phase 1 trials of stem cell COVID-19 therapy in Indonesia - The Korea Herald - July 7th, 2020
- Expanded Access Protocol Initiated for Compassionate Use of Remestemcel-L in Children With Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome Associated With COVID-19... - July 7th, 2020
- Covid-19 Impact on Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market in 2026 Trends Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Shares, Growth Opportunities, Statistics - Owned - July 7th, 2020
- Poseida Therapeutics sets terms for upcoming IPO, aims to raise $150M for cancer treatments - The San Diego Union-Tribune - July 7th, 2020
- Delaware Court Grants An Order for the Expedited Briefing Schedule of Hemostemix's Injunction against Accudata Solutions, Inc. and Hemostemix is in... - July 7th, 2020
- Growing Demand for Myelofibrosis Treatment Market to Significantly Increase Revenues Through 2022 - Jewish Life News - July 7th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 7th, 2020
- Musculoskeletal Disorder Stem Cell Therapy Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 7th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Sales Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 7th, 2020
- COVID 19 Analysis on Stem Cell Therapy Products Trends Global Industry Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Opportunities and Forecast: Mesoblast, TiGenix,... - July 7th, 2020
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Treatment Market Overview By Growing Demands, Trends And Business Opportunities 2020 To 2027 - 3rd Watch News - July 7th, 2020
- The Global Biologics Safety Testing Market is expected to grow from USD 3,410.53 Million in 2019 to USD 6,802.68 Million by the end of 2025 at a... - July 7th, 2020
- Global Sublingual Allergy Immunotherapy Market to Witness Rapid Development During the Period 2017 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 7th, 2020
- Research On Global Cell and Gene Therapy Market (impact of COVID-19) with Top Players: Amgen Inc.,bluebird bio, Inc.,Dendreon Pharmaceuticals LLC. and... - July 7th, 2020
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Treatment Market Overview With Demographic Data And Industry Growth, Latest Trends, Forecast 2020-2028 - 3rd Watch News - July 7th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Regulations and Competitive Landscape Outlook - 3rd Watch News - July 5th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market (2019-2029) with COVID-19 After Effects Analysis by Emerging Trends, Industry Demand, Growth, Key Players - 3rd Watch... - July 5th, 2020
- Farrah Fawcett Glimpse into Life and Final Days of the Beloved 'Charlie's Angels' Star - AmoMama - July 5th, 2020
- COVID-19 Outbreak Bestows Lucrative Opportunities to Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market; Demand to Remain High Post Pandemic - Daily... - July 5th, 2020
- A Preview of the 12 Propositions on Californias November Ballot - Times of San Diego - July 5th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact: Primary Cell Culture Market | Strategic Industry Evolutionary Analysis Focus on Leading Key Players and Revenue Growth Analysis by... - July 5th, 2020
- Trending News: Covid-19 Impact On Stem Cell Therapy Market Growth Prospects Analysis And Future Strategic Planning By 2025 | Osiris Therapeutics,... - July 4th, 2020
- Hemostemix Filed an Injunction Against Accudata Solutions, Inc. for the Return of its Clinical Trial Midpoint Report and Data - Yahoo Finance - July 4th, 2020
- Trending: Cell Therapy Market Brief Analysis and Application, Growth by 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 4th, 2020
- Transplant patient turns to art to raise money for charity which saved her life - Bishop's Stortford Independent - July 4th, 2020
- Artificial Blood Substitutes Market - Insights into how contours of market will change in coming years - BioSpace - July 4th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Segmentation, Top Manufacturers, Demand, Growth, Trend, Opportunity and Forecast to 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 4th, 2020
- Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Treatment Market to Witness over XX% Growth 'in Revenue During the COVID-19 Pandemic Scenario - Kentucky Journal 24 - July 4th, 2020
- Hodgkin's Lymphoma in 8 Major Markets, 2019-2029 - Anticipated Label Expansions of Currently Marketed Therapies is a Key Driver - GlobeNewswire - July 4th, 2020
- Potential Impact of COVID-19 on Research report explores the Autoimmune Disorders Treatment Market for the forecast period, 2020-2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 4th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Comprehensive Analysis, Growth Forecast From 2020 To 2026 - Cole of Duty - July 2nd, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020: Growth, Demand, Service, Types, Applications, Key Players and Industry Forecast till 2025 - Cole of Duty - July 2nd, 2020
- Recovering from Cancer, a Stem Cell Transplant and Coronavirus - Cancer Health Treatment News - July 2nd, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Industry 2020: Global Market Trends, Size, Share, Growth Applications, SWOT Analysis by Top Key Players and Forecast Report... - July 2nd, 2020
- Adipose Derived Stem Cell Therapy Market includes Production and Market Share by Type (2020-2026) - Cole of Duty - July 2nd, 2020
- Ionis, leading MS researcher throw antisense at a new type of brain cells - Endpoints News - July 2nd, 2020
- Massachusetts Eye and Ear Enters Licensing Agreement with Biogen to Develop Treatment for Inherited Retinal Disorder - Newswise - July 2nd, 2020
- Canine Arthritis Treatment Market 2020: Challenges, Growth, Types, Applications, Revenue, Insights, Growth Analysis, Competitive Landscape, Forecast-... - July 2nd, 2020
- Context Therapeutics Announces Publication of Onapristone Extended Release Safety Review Results - Business Wire - July 2nd, 2020
- Global Microcarrier System Market to Record Significant Rise in Revenue Share Owing to the Augmenting Demand in COVID 19 Pandemic - 3rd Watch News - July 2nd, 2020
- R3 International Offering New Program for Stem Cell Therapy for Liver Failure in Mexico - Yahoo Finance - June 30th, 2020
- Pembrolizumab Approved for First-Line Treatment of Patients With Colorectal Cancer and Key Mutations - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - June 30th, 2020
- Covid-19 outbreak imparts profitable opportunities to Stem Cell Therapy market; demand to remain high post pandemic - Jewish Life News - June 30th, 2020
- Genespire and the San Raffaele Telethon Institute for Gene Therapy announce publication in Nature Biotechnology on enhanced gene editing technique in... - June 30th, 2020
- Research Antibodies Market To Reach USD 5.33 Billion By 2027 | Reports and Data - GlobeNewswire - June 30th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation (HSCT) Market Key Manufactures And Chance Analysis-Kite Pharma, Thermo Fisher Scientific, CellGenix... - June 30th, 2020
- Benefit From CD19 CAR T-Cell Therapy in Relapsed/Refractory B-Cell ALL - Hematology Advisor - June 30th, 2020
- COVID-19: UAE treats 2000 virus patients with novel stem cell therapy - Gulf News - June 30th, 2020
- UAE stem cell therapy treats over 2000 coronavirus patients, 1200 fully recover - Khaleej Times - June 30th, 2020
- Innovative treatments that harnesses bodys own immune cells to fight cancer now offered at Jimmy Everest Center - KFOR Oklahoma City - June 30th, 2020
- Vitro Bio-Pharma 2nd Quarter Ended April 30th 2020 Financial Results of Operations and Shareholder Letter - Stockhouse - June 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Analysis, Trends and Segmented Data by Top Companies and Opportunities 2020-2027 - Apsters News - June 30th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Segmentation By Qualitative And Quantitative Research Incorporating Impact Of Economic And Non-Economic Aspects By... - June 30th, 2020
- Canine Arthritis Treatment Market: 2020 Global Opportunities, Key Players, Competitive and Regional Analysis by Forecast 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 30th, 2020
- Global Covid-19 impact on Stem Cell Banking Market Trends, Analysis by Application and Region by 2025| CCBC,CBR,ViaCord,Esperite - 3rd Watch News - June 30th, 2020
- Osteonecrosis Treatment Market Estimated To Witness a Phenomenal Growth by 2027 | Bone Therapeutics, Enzo Biochem Inc., and K-Stemcell Co Ltd.... - June 30th, 2020
- Global Macular Degeneration Treatment Market Opportunities, Applications, Drivers, Limitations, Top Companies, Countries, & Forecast 2026|Adverum,... - June 30th, 2020
- GoLiver Therapeutics Receives a Positive Scientific Advice from the European Medicines Agency (EMA) on its Clinical Development and Biomanufacturing... - June 30th, 2020
- Stem cell therapy: why we need to be suspicious about cure-all claims - The Irish Times - June 24th, 2020
- Should You Delay Cancer Treatment Because of COVID-19? Study Says Most Treatments Dont Worsen Coronavirus Infection - On Cancer - Memorial Sloan... - June 24th, 2020
- Over $8M in 2020 Stem Cell Funding Awards Continue to Fuel Marylands Leading Cell Therapy Industry - BioBuzz - June 24th, 2020
- TP53, KMT2D Abnormalities Linked With Poor Prognosis in MCL - Targeted Oncology - June 24th, 2020
- Karyopharm Announces Publication of XPOVIO (Selinexor) Phase 2b SADAL Study Results in The Lancet Haematology - GlobeNewswire - June 24th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020: Industry Growth, Competitive Analysis, Future Prospects and Forecast 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 24th, 2020
- Century Therapeutics Announces Acquisition of Empirica Therapeutics - Business Wire - June 24th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market 2020 Trend, Growth, Latest Technology & Application Analysis and Global Industry Opportunities Forecast to 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 24th, 2020
- Coronavirus and sex hormones baldness may be a risk factor and anti-androgens a treatment - The Conversation AU - June 24th, 2020
- $14M Federal Grant to Research CAR-T Gene Therapy to Cure HIV - POZ - June 24th, 2020
- Glioblastoma Multiforme Treatment (GBM) Market: Rise in Awareness Regarding Cancer and Novel Therapies to Boost the Market - BioSpace - June 24th, 2020
- 4D physiologically adaptable cardiac patch: A 4-month in vivo study for the treatment of myocardial infarction - Science Advances - June 24th, 2020
- Why are more bald men in hospital with coronavirus? The answer could hold a treatment - ABC News - June 24th, 2020
- SFARI | SFARI workshop explores challenges and opportunities of gene therapies for autism spectrum disorder - SFARI News - June 24th, 2020
- Impact Analysis of Covid-19 On Osteonecrosis Treatment Market Growth and Evolution During 2020-2027 | Bone Therapeutics, Enzo Biochem Inc., and... - June 24th, 2020
- USC scientists use brain organoids to study intellectual disability, with support from the SynGAP Research Fund - USC News - June 24th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market 2020 | Demand and Scope with Outlook, Business Strategies, Challenges and Forecasts to 2025 by Leading Key Players - 3rd Watch... - June 24th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Industry Production, Sales and Consumption Status and Prospects Professional Market Research Report 2020-2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 24th, 2020
- Cytovia Therapeutics, Inc Adds Two Industry Leaders to Its Board of Directors - BioSpace - June 24th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Statistics, Opportunities, Demand, Forecast to 2026 | Study with COVID-19 Impact - 3rd Watch News - June 21st, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Exhaustive Analysis Strategic Assessment and Forecast Till 2026 - Owned - June 21st, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market 2020 Key Players, Share, Trend, Segmentation and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 21st, 2020