Leukemia is a group of cancers that affect your bone marrow and cause your body to produce abnormal blood cells. Acute myeloid leukemia (AML) is the most common type of leukemia in adults and accounts for about 4 out of 5 adult cases.
Acute monocytic leukemia (AML-M5) is a subtype of AML, in which at least 80 percent of the affected blood cells are a type of white blood cell called monocytes. Half of the people diagnosed with AML M5 are older than age 49.
AML-M5 causes similar symptoms in the early stages as other types of leukemia. These symptoms include:
In this article, we take a look at how acute monocytic leukemia differs from other leukemias, how its treated, and whats the outlook.
Leukemias develop in bone marrow stem cells that produce blood cells. Theyre classified based on the type of blood cells affected and how quickly the disease progresses. Heres how each main type is broken down:
AML is a type of leukemia that develops quickly (acute) and affects myeloid cells (myeloid).
AML-M5 is a subtype of AML that mainly affects the growth of monocytes. Monocytes have the potential to become two other types of white blood cells called macrophages and dendritic cells.
According to the National Cancer Institute, AML-M5 is diagnosed when more than 20 percent of white blood cells are abnormal or not fully developed, and more than 80 percent of the abnormal cells are monocytes or cells derived from monocytes.
Like many types of cancer, its not entirely clear why AML-M5 develops in some people and not others. However, it has been linked to certain genetic mutations.
In a 2019 study, genetic mutations were detected in 83.3 percent of people with AML-M5. The mutations FLT3-ITD and NRAS were most common.
Symptoms of AML-M5 are similar to those of many other forms of leukemia. Symptoms like fatigue or feelings of weakness are general and can have many potential causes.
Some other possible symptoms of AML-M5 include:
Many of the symptoms of leukemia are general and can have many different causes. A healthcare professional will likely want to order a blood test to look for signs of the disease, such as a high number of abnormal white blood cells or a low blood count.
If your blood test reveals signs of leukemia, youll likely be referred to a doctor called a hematologist, who specializes in blood conditions.
The next part of your diagnosis will likely involve a bone marrow biopsy, usually from your hip bone. During this procedure, an anesthetic will be applied to your skin. Then, the doctor will use a thin needle to remove bone marrow from the center of your hip bone.
The procedure usually takes about 20 to 30 minutes and shouldnt be painful. Your sample will then be taken to a lab for analysis.
Other supportive tests may be used to collect more information about the specific type of AML you have, how far it has progressed, and what the best treatment option may be.
AML-M5 can be difficult to treat due to a limited amount of research on the best way to manage this specific type of AML.
Treatment for most forms of AML involves multidrug chemotherapy and bone marrow transplants. The amount of chemotherapy you can receive depends on factors such as your age and overall health.
The goal of induction chemotherapy is to kill as many cancer cells as possible. It involves taking a high dose of chemotherapy drugs that target cancer cells. Unfortunately, it also targets healthy cells in your body that divide rapidly, such as blood stem cells, skin cells, and gastrointestinal cells.
The strength of the chemotherapy you can handle may depend on your age or overall health. Chemotherapy drugs are highly toxic to your bone marrow and can cause bleeding complications, kidney failure, and other potentially serious side effects, so your doctor will run tests often to check your health.
The chemotherapy drug cytarabine and either daunorubicin or idarubicin are often used in a 7+3 regimen. This mean you get cytarabine through an IV for 7 days, along with a small dose of one of the other medications on the first 3 days.
Here are a few other variations in the way this treatment might work:
Typically, youll stay in the hospital during the induction phase. If there are still signs of cancer in your body at the end of treatment, you may need another round of chemotherapy.
After going into remission, meaning the cancer is no longer detectable, most people undergo additional chemotherapy to target any remaining undetectable cancer cells and keep the cancer from coming back.
Young and healthy individuals often undergo several cycles of high-dose cytarabine combined with bone marrow transplants. Older adults or those with other coexisting health conditions may receive lower doses of cytarabine or other chemotherapy drugs.
High doses of chemotherapy damage the cells in your bone marrow that produce blood cells. A bone marrow transplant replaces damaged cells with healthy ones. Two types of transplants may be performed:
When a suitable donor is available, allogeneic transplants are the preferred procedure.
The outlook for people with AML-M5 has not been clearly established. However, it is known that it often progresses quickly when left untreated.
When your body makes too much of a protein called differentiation inhibitory factor, it may be linked to a less promising prognosis in some people.
About 40 percent of people with AML-M5 have a mutation in their Flt3 gene, which also may be associated with a less favorable outcome.
In a 2020 study, researchers found the 5-year overall survival rate was 46 percent in a group of 132 children with AML-M5. The overall survival rate was lowest in children under 3 years old.
Researchers are continuing to study AML-M5 in clinical trials to find the best way to treat this type of leukemia. Its likely the survival rate will continue to improve with time and new data.
Many types of leukemia that used to have high mortality rates are now very treatable, thanks to medical advancements. You can ask your doctor about clinical trials in your area, or you can search for them yourself from the U.S. National Library of Medicine.
Originally posted here:
Acute Monocytic Leukemia: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment - Healthline
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report by Cell Source, by Type, by Therapeutic Application, by End-User, by Region - Global Forecast to 2026 -... - October 16th, 2021
- Harvard's R&D alliance with Resilience to advance manufacture of complex medicines - Harvard Gazette - October 16th, 2021
- A New Line of Defense in Blood Cancer: Natural Killer Cell Therapy - Curetoday.com - October 16th, 2021
- Dr. Kahl on the Potential Utility of Frontline CAR T-Cell Therapy in MCL - OncLive - October 16th, 2021
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market By Type (Allogeneic Mesenchymal Stem Cells, Bone Marrow Transplant, Adipose Tissue Stem Cells) and By... - October 16th, 2021
- Orchard Therapeutics Outlines Comprehensive Presence at the European Society of Gene & Cell Therapy Congress - Yahoo Finance - October 16th, 2021
- Taking aim at the brain, Takeda strikes up cell therapy R&D alliance with Immusoft - MedCity News - October 16th, 2021
- Dr. Erba on the Evolution of Treatment in MCL - OncLive - October 16th, 2021
- Newer Agents for DLBCL Show Potential for Earlier Use in the Course of Treatment - Targeted Oncology - October 16th, 2021
- FDA Approves Genentech's Tecentriq as Adjuvant Treatment for Certain People With Early Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer - Business Wire - October 16th, 2021
- Worldwide Cell Therapy Consumables Industry to 2031 - Featuring Bio-Techne, Irvine Scientific and Sartorius Among Others - PRNewswire - October 16th, 2021
- International ZIM Network: SmartMed - Regenerative Solutions for the Therapies of Tomorrow - Business Wire - October 16th, 2021
- BioLineRx Announces Positive Results from Pharmacoeconomic Study Positioning Motixafortide as Potential Standard of Care in Stem Cell Mobilization -... - October 16th, 2021
- FTC Follows Through On Prioritizing Investigations Into False Advertising In Healthcare Markets - Media, Telecoms, IT, Entertainment - United States -... - October 16th, 2021
- Molecular Atlas of Small Cell Lung Cancer Reveals Unusual Cell Type That Could Explain Why Its So Aggressive - On Cancer - Memorial Sloan Kettering - October 16th, 2021
- Actress Jennifer Garner Visits with 7-Year-Old Girl Fighting B-cell Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia; What is the Treatment for This Disease? -... - October 16th, 2021
- Four-year-old girl with stage four cancer trying to get to America for clinical trial - Lancashire Telegraph - October 16th, 2021
- Stem cell & gene therapy to treat osteogenesis imperfecta: hype or hope - Open Access Government - October 5th, 2021
- Chennai-based institute to begin clinical trial on stem cell therapy for liver disease - The New Indian Express - October 5th, 2021
- "Stem cell-based therapeutics poised to become mainstream option - BSA bureau - October 5th, 2021
- Anja Health Disrupts Cord Blood Banking with Heartfelt Founding Story and Ground-Breaking Mission - Digital Journal - October 5th, 2021
- Longeveron Successfully Advancing its Cell-Based Therapy Studies in a Growing Industry Segment - Yahoo Finance - October 5th, 2021
- Ready to Treat Over 80 Life-Threatening Diseases, Discover the Potential of Cord Blood during World Cord Blood Day 2021 - PRNewswire - October 5th, 2021
- Transforming Growth Factor Sales Gaining Traction & to reach US$ 709.9 Mn with Significant Development in Cell Therapy Research - PRNewswire - October 5th, 2021
- StemExpress Partners with the Alliance for Regenerative Medicine to Provide COVID-19 Testing for the Cell and Gene Meeting on the Mesa - WITN - October 5th, 2021
- Brazil investigates the use of stem cells in the treatment of covid-19 The Clare People - The Clare People - October 5th, 2021
- Indianapolis mother gives 13-year-old son with sickle cell disease a 2nd chance at life - WTHR - October 5th, 2021
- US FDA Approves Kite's Tecartus as the First and Only Car T for Adults With Relapsed or Refractory B-cell Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia | DNA RNA and... - October 5th, 2021
- Lack of awareness about blood stem cell donation is one of the leading causes for low number of donors in In.. - ETHealthworld.com - October 5th, 2021
- 'Survivor' winner Ethan Zohn opens up about his cancer battle: I was a healthy, young guy. You never expect it to be you. - Yahoo Life - October 5th, 2021
- The Best Skincare Treatments For Time-Crunched Moms (Or Anyone Else Who Only Has Five Minutes To Spare) - Forbes - October 5th, 2021
- [PDF] Stem Cell Therapy Market Size Strong Revenue and Generated Opportunities UNLV The Rebel Yell - UNLV The Rebel Yell - August 31st, 2021
- Mike Tysons weird stem cell treatment has helped transform incredible body at 55 - Daily Star - August 31st, 2021
- UC Davis and the School of Medicine set new records in research funding - UC Davis Health - August 31st, 2021
- NCCN Issues Updated Guidelines Regarding Third COVID-19 Vaccine Booster for Those With Cancer - Cancer Network - August 31st, 2021
- DHEC Supports Awareness and Education during National Sickle Cell Awareness Month - SCDHEC - August 31st, 2021
- The emerging roles of the gut microbiome in allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation - DocWire News - August 31st, 2021
- Global Cryopreservation Equipment Market Report 2021-2028 - Growing Acceptance for Regenerative Medicine & Increasing Needs of Biobanking... - August 31st, 2021
- Operational Highlights and Financial Results for the Year Ended June 30, 2021 - GlobeNewswire - August 31st, 2021
- Event to benefit 2 families with kids fighting cancer - Youngstown Vindicator - August 31st, 2021
- Cryo-Cell International Announces Uplisting to The Nasdaq Capital Market - GlobeNewswire - August 31st, 2021
- Incyte and MorphoSys Announce the European Commission Approval of Minjuvi (tafasitamab) in Combination With Lenalidomide for the Treatment of Adults... - August 31st, 2021
- Thomas Smeenk with an update on the FDA Phase II clinical trial program of the Hemostemix blood-derived, stem cell therapeutics product (ACP-01) -... - August 31st, 2021
- 2021 Pipeline Insight Report on Myocardial Infarction - Featuring AstraZeneca, Mesoblast and Boehringer Ingelheim Among Others -... - August 31st, 2021
- Mini brains grown in the lab sprout primitive eyes - Freethink - August 31st, 2021
- BeiGene and EUSA Pharma Announce China NMPA Approval of QARZIBA (Dinutuximab Beta) for Patients With High-Risk Neuroblastoma - Business Wire - August 18th, 2021
- Study Calls for COVID-19 Vaccination in Patients With Cancer to Enable Optimal Treatment Delivery During Pandemic - OncLive - August 18th, 2021
- Treatment of AML in Older Patients Almost At 'The Holy Grail' - Curetoday.com - August 18th, 2021
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Identify Key Drivers, Trends, Latest Innovations, Business Senario, Demand With Outlook by 2026 - The Market Writeuo -... - August 18th, 2021
- 8 Tips for Coping With a Diagnosis of PPMS - Everyday Health - August 18th, 2021
- More positive results from CRISPR trial for sickle cell and thalassaemia - BioNews - August 18th, 2021
- Belumosudil Granted Full Approval for Treatment of Chronic GVHD by FDA - Cancer Network - July 22nd, 2021
- Dr. Martin on the Role of Maintenance Therapy With Rituximab in MCL July 15th 2021 Peter - OncLive - July 22nd, 2021
- FDA tells Magenta to pump the brakes on blood cancer trial before it starts to develop new dosing test - FierceBiotech - July 22nd, 2021
- Stemson Therapeutics Secures $15M Series A Funding to Cure Hair Loss - Business Wire - July 22nd, 2021
- Events planned to support 5-year-old's cancer treatments - The Augusta Chronicle - July 22nd, 2021
- HER2-Specific CAR T Cells Induce Early Efficacy Without Dose-Limiting Toxicities in Pediatric CNS Tumors - OncLive - July 22nd, 2021
- A mother's love: Two years after devastating crash, Abby Roby has hope - London Free Press (Blogs) - July 22nd, 2021
- Roswell Park Team Shows Dendritic-Cell Vaccines Can Be Paired With Standard Therapy for Breast Cancer - Newswise - July 22nd, 2021
- Introducing the 3D bioprinted neural tissues with the potential to 'cure' human paralysis - 3D Printing Industry - July 22nd, 2021
- Investing in stem cells, the building blocks of the body - MoneyWeek - June 25th, 2021
- Discrepancies Between Real-World Patterns of Care and Recommendations Based on Clinical Trials Exist in MCL - OncLive - June 25th, 2021
- Catalent to Acquire RheinCell Therapeutics, Strengthening a Path Towards Industrialization of Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell-based Therapies - PR Web - June 25th, 2021
- Disparities in Utilization of Autologous Stem Cell Transplantation as Consolidative Therapy for Multiple Myeloma: A Single Institution Retrospective... - June 25th, 2021
- Vita Therapeutics Raises $32 Million in Oversubscribed Series A Financing Led by Cambrian Biopharma to Advance the Development of Therapies to Treat... - June 25th, 2021
- Updates in the treatment of peripheral T-cell lymphomas | JEP - Dove Medical Press - June 25th, 2021
- Novel Tafasitamab Combination Finds a Role in Second-line DLBCL Treatment - Targeted Oncology - June 25th, 2021
- Global Nerve Repair and Regeneration Devices Market to Reach $11. 8 Billion by 2026 - GlobeNewswire - June 25th, 2021
- 5 potential benefits of exosome treatment - AZ Big Media - June 8th, 2021
- Orion and the Blood Service launch collaboration to develop new CAR T-cell cancer therapy - Yahoo Finance Australia - June 8th, 2021
- Improvements in the Treatment of Patients With MCL Over the Past Decade - Oncology Learning Network - June 8th, 2021
- Novo Nordisk partners with Heartseed on heart failure cell therapy - PMLiVE - June 8th, 2021
- Citius Pharmaceuticals to be Added to Russell 2000 Index - BioSpace - June 8th, 2021
- IN8bio Completes Treatment of First Cohort in Phase 1 Clinical Trial with Gamma Delta T-Cell Therapy in Patients with Newly Diagnosed Glioblastoma... - June 8th, 2021
- Regenerative medicine: moving next-gen treatments from lab to clinic - Pharmaceutical Technology - June 8th, 2021
- Global $30+ Billion Cell Therapy Bioprocessing Market to 2028: Market Opportunities in Automated Procedures to Produce Cell Therapies - PRNewswire - June 8th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell & Regenerative Medicine Market Report Forecast to 2027 3M Group Novartis AG Integra Gene Therapies The Manomet Current - The... - June 8th, 2021
- Novel CAR-T Cell Therapy Produces Early and Deep Responses in Certain Patients with Multiple Myeloma - Curetoday.com - June 8th, 2021
- BioRestorative Therapies to Present at the Emerging Growth Conference on June 9, 2021 - StreetInsider.com - June 8th, 2021
- Innovent Biologics and IASO Biotherapeutics to Present Updated Data from its Anti-BCMA CAR-T Therapy in Relapsed/Refractory Multiple Myeloma at... - June 8th, 2021