It's no secret that Americans aren't doing all that well in the savings department. An estimated 39% of U.S. adults don't have the money on hand to cover a $400 emergency, and 45% of Americans have no money earmarked for retirement savings.
If your savings efforts have been far from fruitful in recent years, it's time to do better -- even if that means going to a bit of an extreme to get there. Here are a few far-out but effective methods of boosting your savings -- and buying yourself the financial security you're currently missing.
IMAGE SOURCE: GETTY IMAGES.
If you're not familiar with no-spend periods, they involve not forking over so much as a dime on non-essentials for different periods of time. It's common to have an occasional no-spend week or no-spend month, but if you're really intent on boosting your savings, you may want to extend that restriction for a full year. That's right -- no restaurant meals, non-work clothing, or paid entertainment for an entire 12 months.
Will that be difficult? Absolutely. But imagine you currently spend $600 a month on dining out, leisure, apparel, and other items you enjoy having but can technically live without. In the course of a year, you'll be $7,200 richer.
Housing is the typical American's greatest monthly expense, so if you're able to reduce it substantially, you're apt to boost your savings in a very meaningful way. Imagine you currently rent a three-bedroom, 2000-square-foot apartment with your spouse and child for $2,000 a month. If you were to downsize to a one-bedroom (yes, you read that correctly) that takes up 800 square feet, you might reduce your rent to $1,000.
Will living in cramped quarters for a year be easy? Not at all. But if it saves you $12,000, it's a sacrifice worth making.
It costs $9,282 a year, on average, to own a vehicle, according to AAA. If you're willing to give yours up, you could wind up banking that much cash in the course of a year instead.
Now if you live in an area where public transportation is abundant, that's not such a huge ask. But if you live in suburbia, it could prove more challenging. That doesn't mean it can't be done, though. You could consider carpooling with your spouse (meaning, downsize from a two-car household to a single car), catching rides with friends or colleagues, or biking to and from work if that's a reasonable thing to do (if your office is 40 miles away, it's not).
Will giving up a car limit you logistically and socially? Probably. But think about it this way -- if it's harder to get around, you may be less inclined to dine out or spend money on entertainment, which will help your savings efforts.
The typical American spends $3,456 a year on restaurant meals and food outside the home, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. But restaurants generally charge a 300% markup on the items they serve, which means that if your spending is in line with the typical American's, you could save yourself close to $2,600 in the course of a year by cooking every meal you eat at home.
Will that constitute a time investment? It sure will. But you never know -- you may discover that you enjoy cooking your own food, and that doing so is healthier for you anyway.
If you're doing reasonably well financially -- meaning, you're on track for retirement and have a healthy emergency fund -- then there's certainly no need to go to any of the above extremes (unless, of course, you happen to love a good challenge). But if your near-term and long-term savings are virtually nonexistent, then you may need to take drastic measures to build them up. The good news? You don't need to commit to these extremes for a lifetime. Make any of the above moves for a single year, and your savings could easily take a turn for the much improved.
The $16,728 Social Security bonus most retirees completely overlook If you're like most Americans, you're a few years (or more) behind on your retirement savings. But a handful of little-known "Social Security secrets" could help ensure a boost in your retirement income. For example: one easy trick could pay you as much as$16,728 more... each year! Once you learn how to maximize your Social Security benefits, we think you could retire confidently with the peace of mind we're all after.Simply click here to discover how to learn more about these strategies.
The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.
The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.
- Mount Sinai Leading the Way in Innovative Stem Cell Therapy for COVID-19 Patients - Newswise - April 9th, 2020
- First Stem Cell Clinical Trial for Protection Against COVID-19 Approved by FDA - HospiMedica - April 9th, 2020
- Moving toward Nonchemotherapy-Based Approaches in Follicular Lymphoma - Cancer Network - April 9th, 2020
- Seneca Biopharma Announces Results of Meeting with FDA Regarding the Design of Phase 3 Trial for NSI-566 in ALS - P&T Community - April 9th, 2020
- Immunotherapy After Chemotherapy Improves Outcomes in Metastatic Bladder Cancer - Curetoday.com - April 9th, 2020
- Celularity Expands Strategic Collaboration with United Therapeutics Corporation to COVID-19 Infection and Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome - Yahoo... - April 9th, 2020
- UCSD To Advance Stem Cell Therapies in New Space Station Lab - Technology Networks - April 9th, 2020
- Convalescent plasma therapy useful in treating COVID-19 - Anadolu Ajans - April 9th, 2020
- Stempeutics partners with Global Consortium of cell therapy companies - BSI bureau - April 9th, 2020
- DNA Repair Gene-Related CHIP Is a Marker for Worse Outcomes in Patients With Lymphoma - Cancer Therapy Advisor - April 9th, 2020
- Canadian Company STEMCELL Technologies Is an Essential Industry Partner for COVID-19 Research and Vaccine Development - Financial Post - April 8th, 2020
- SNUH team finds causal gene of inherited retinal disorder - Korea Biomedical Review - April 8th, 2020
- FDA Accepts IND for NK Cell Therapy CYNK-001 to Treat Patients with COVID-19 - Cancer Network - April 8th, 2020
- Fate Therapeutics Strikes Multi-Billion Dollar Cell Therapy Deal with Janssen - BioSpace - April 8th, 2020
- Beam Therapeutics Licenses SIRION Biotech's LentiBOOST Technology for its CAR-T pipeline - Business Wire - April 8th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Stem Cell Therapy Identify Which Types of Companies Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the Impact of COVID-19 - Science... - April 8th, 2020
- Nurses life-saving stem cell transplant leaves her with an addiction to Monster Munch just like her don - The Sun - April 8th, 2020
- Covid-19 Impact on Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market (2020-2026) - Science In Me - April 8th, 2020
- CYTOVIA Therapeutics and MACROMOLTEK to Develop Dual-Acting Natural Killer Immunotherapy Against SARS CoV2 (COVID-19) - GlobeNewswire - April 8th, 2020
- Coronavirus Update: Cell Therapy Reportedly Appears Promising To Beat COVID-19 - International Business Times - April 7th, 2020
- panCELLa receives research and development support for cell therapy - Yahoo Finance - April 7th, 2020
- Relief Therapeutics (RLF:SIX) Drug Aviptadil Enters FDA Trial at University of Miami, to Treat COVID-19-induced Respiratory Distress - Yahoo Finance - April 7th, 2020
- Stempeutics partners with Global Consortium of cell therapy companies - Express Healthcare - April 7th, 2020
- CYTOVIA Therapeutics and MACROMOLTEK to Develop Dual-Acting Natural Killer Immunotherapy Against SARS CoV2 (COVID-19) - BioSpace - April 7th, 2020
- Stem Cell Network Warns that Claims of Stem Cell Treatments for COVID-19 Are Unfounded and Misleading - Benzinga - April 2nd, 2020
- FibroGenesis Files Expanded Patent Coverage for its Fibroblast Cell Therapy to treat Coronavirus (COVID-19) ARDS - Yahoo Finance - April 2nd, 2020
- Cork man shares hacks for isolation that stopped him from 'going insane' - Echo Live - April 2nd, 2020
- Notice Regarding Business Alliance Between Sanbio and Ocumension in the Research, Development and Commercialization of Innovative Stem Cell Therapies... - April 2nd, 2020
- Designer, injectable gels to prevent transplanted Schwann cell loss during spinal cord injury therapy - Science Advances - April 2nd, 2020
- David Setboun Joins BrainStorm as Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer - GlobeNewswire - April 2nd, 2020
- Global Cell Therapy Technologies Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast (2019-2026) - Publicist360 - April 2nd, 2020
- CytoDyn Files a Clinical Trial Protocol with the FDA to Treat Severely Ill COVID-19 Patients with Leronlimab where the Primary Endpoint is Mortality... - April 2nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Network Warns that Claims of Stem Cell Treatments for COVID-19 Are Unfounded and Misleading - GlobeNewswire - March 31st, 2020
- ElevateBio reels in $170M to push 6 cell, gene therapy programs - FierceBiotech - March 31st, 2020
- Stem Cells, Nerves Found to Interact in Cancer Progression - Pharmacy Times - March 31st, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market by Players, Types and Applications with In-Depth Research On Industry Size ... - The Financial News Daily - March 31st, 2020
- Blood donors in high demand - Dominion Post - The Dominion Post - March 29th, 2020
- Reversing The Ageing Process With Stem Cell Therapy - Version Weekly - March 29th, 2020
- Positive Opinion from European Medicines Agency for Sanofi's Isatuximab in R/R Multiple Myeloma - OncoZine - March 28th, 2020
- Global Autologous Cell Therapy Market 2020-2024 | Evolving Opportunities with Bayer AG and Brainstorm Cell Therapeutics Inc. | Technavio - Business... - March 28th, 2020
- Global Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation (HSCT) Market 2020-2024 | Evolving Opportunities with AllCells Corp. and bluebird bio Inc. | Technavio... - March 28th, 2020
- HIV/AIDS cure: Second patient confirmed HIV-free and here's the treatment that cured him - EconoTimes - March 28th, 2020
- Donald Trump Is Using An Insanely Sketchy Newsletter To Find Campaign Donors - The Union Journal - March 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market 2020 | Growing Rapidly with Significant CAGR, Leading Players, Innovative Trends and Expected Revenue by 2026 -... - March 28th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Dynamics, Segments and Supply Demand 2029 - Packaging News 24 - March 28th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell and Gene Therapy Biological Testing Market (2019 to 2025) - Potential Growth Opportunities and Areas of Focus -... - March 27th, 2020
- Non-Profit Offers Free Stem Cell Therapy to Veterans - Pain News Network - March 27th, 2020
- Vitro Biopharma First Quarter ended January 31, 2020 Financial Results of Operations - Yahoo Finance - March 27th, 2020
- Kalytera Therapeutics: improving bone marrow transplants with CBD - Health Europa - March 27th, 2020
- A new way to study HIV's impact on the brain - Penn: Office of University Communications - March 27th, 2020
- HKBU Collaborates with Golden Meditech to Conduct Cell Therapy Research - QS WOW News - March 27th, 2020
- Medigene Provides Results for Fiscal Year 2019 and Outlook - Yahoo Finance - March 26th, 2020
- What Does It Mean to Be Immunocompromised? - Dana-Farber Cancer Institute - March 26th, 2020
- Oscar Saxelby-Lee gets 'super cells' after having stem cell transplant from dad to fight off cancer - Ledbury Reporter - March 26th, 2020
- Study Shows Development of Young Cells Could be New Option in Cancer Care - BioSpace - March 26th, 2020
- Bone Therapeutics appoints Stefanos Theoharis as Chief Business Officer - Yahoo Finance - March 26th, 2020
- Uni kit to help with virus tests - Kent Online - March 26th, 2020
- Old human cells rejuvenated with stem cell technology - Stanford Medical Center Report - March 25th, 2020
- Can cell-based therapy be helpful in tackling coronavirus? - YourStory - March 25th, 2020
- YOUR HEALTH: A rare disease that hardens the skin - WQAD.com - March 25th, 2020
- Rationales for Selecting CD19-Targeted Therapy in R/R B-Cell ALL - Cancer Therapy Advisor - March 25th, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Bandera County Courier - March 24th, 2020
- Global Autologous Cell Therapy Market 2020-2024 | Evolving Opportunities with Bayer AG and Brainstorm Cell Therapeutics Inc. | Technavio - Yahoo... - March 24th, 2020
- Clinical trial to find effective Covid-19 treatments gets underway - Nursing Times - March 24th, 2020
- Pipeline: Investigational Therapies for COVID-19 - The Cardiology Advisor - March 24th, 2020
- Mentoring is a gift, asking for help a blessing - The Jewish News of Northern California - March 24th, 2020
- The Global Autologous Cell Therapy Market is expected to grow by USD 1.97 bn during 2020-2024, progressing at a CAGR of 22% during the forecast period... - March 24th, 2020
- The Forefront of Treating Hair Loss in Women - Yahoo Lifestyle - March 24th, 2020
- Two Additional Coronavirus Patients Treated at Leading New York Hospital with CytoDyn's Leronlimab, Bringing the Total to Four Patients - Associated... - March 24th, 2020
- Regulatory authorities approve JTA Phase III study in osteoarthritic knee pain and ALLOB Phase IIb study in difficult fractures | DNA RNA and Cells |... - March 24th, 2020
- Platelet Rich Plasma and Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment size in terms of volume and value 2019-2022 - Daily Science - March 24th, 2020
- Bone Therapeutics receives Clinical Trial Application (CTA) approval for next clinical studies of its two lead candidates - GlobeNewswire - March 24th, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Booming by Size, Revenue and Top Growing Companies APEX Biologix, Belgravia Center, RepliCel, Riken Research... - March 20th, 2020
- His Immune System Went Out of Whack. The Usual Treatment Didnt Work. Why? - The New York Times - March 18th, 2020
- China reports new progress in drug, therapies against Covid-19 - The Star Online - March 18th, 2020
- Imfinzi in Combination with Standard-of-Care Chemotherapies Improves Survival in Lung Cancer - Curetoday.com - March 18th, 2020
- What Are Drug Prevention and Treatment Options for COVID-19? - Pharmacy Times - March 18th, 2020
- Tessa Therapeutics to launch first CAR-T therapy for Hodgkin's lymphoma (HL) - BSA bureau - March 18th, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics Appoints Company Founder and Gene Therapy Pioneer Bobby Gaspar, MD, Ph.D., as New Chief Executive Officer - BioSpace - March 18th, 2020
- Fate Therapeutics: Potential Catalysts Ahead - Seeking Alpha - March 18th, 2020