In todays video, we talk about how medical spas and medical practices handle some of the legal issues with regenerative medicine, and stem cell therapies.
Im Michael H. Cohen, founding attorney of the Cohen Healthcare Law Group. Weve advised hundreds of healthcare industry clients on healthcare and FDA legal issues. Our clients include medical spas and healthcare companies that work with stem cell therapies and regenerative medicine.
Weve also gotten a lot of client questions about use of stem cell therapies, whether by medical doctors, naturopathic physicians, or midlevel practitioners such as RNs. As healthcare and FDA attorneys working in regulatory territory, we receive many deep-in-the-weeds questions.
For example, what about injecting stem cells for beauty and cosmetic treatments?
Using stem cells in IV infusions?
Are stem cell therapies covered within state law on nonsurgical medical cosmetic procedures?
Do stem cell therapies require an initial, in-person exam by an MD or under MD supervision by a PA or in collaboration by an NP?
What about procedures such as micro-needling, do these require medical supervision and a good faith exam?
Let me give you three tips to help you keep you in mind when youre looking to get a healthcare lawyer to address these kinds of legal questions.
First, a lot of the law simply says no. It doesnt tell you what you can do, only in broad terms what you cant do. So, when youre looking for legal advice, youre really asking for a professional read by an attorney, between the yes and the no. Obviously, either extreme is unsatisfying and doesnt give you any real guidance.
What you want in a healthcare lawyer is knowledge, skill and experience. A good healthcare lawyer can tell you, this particular scenario is more likely to get you in regulatory trouble, that scenario is more likely not going to be the biggest enforcement priority.
This week, one of our clients, a medical doctor who also runs a medical spa, told me that his biggest competitors were marketing and advertising their services, using advertising copy that he considered deceptive and misleading. He was at wits end trying to compete with these industry players who just dont follow the rules. Its not fair.
We talked through some of the strategies they were using and the legal risks that they were undertaking. Finally, he listened, and concluded: dont poke the bear. In a way, the process of mapping out the regulatory landscape helped him clarify his own business decision.
Second, a lot of these questions come under state law and they have to do with what licensing statutes, regulations, and Board policy statements say.
The federal government doesnt regulate the practice of medicine, or the healthcare practice of other licensed professionals. Rather, the United States Constitution leaves the regulation of health, safety and welfare up to the States.
And so, each State will have different laws and rules about what medical spas can do; about who can do what kinds of therapies; about whether you need a doctor to perform therapy X or Y or whether this can be done by an RN under MDs supervision; or, whether some services can and cant be performed by a licensed esthetician, because for example, they might constitute the practice of medicine.
Depending on your legal budget, it often doesnt make sense to research the law in all states, or even a lot of states. If youre a medical spa in one location, then obviously, your state law matters; and if your business is multi-state, sometimes we focus on key states or we get a small sampling of the ones with the toughest rules.
My third tip is, dont rely on advice which you got from someone else, because it is often incorrect, and based on facts and circumstances that dont necessarily apply to your situation.
As an example, recently, one medical spa came to our Firm with all of these questions swirling around in their minds. They were worried, because a medical spa in the same neighborhood had been visited by a very, very, super friendly medical board investigator, who was asking too many questions, in too friendly a way; and across town, medical spas had been raided by enforcement officials in a very heavy-handed way.
Up till then, the medical spa had thought it was legally safe, because, after all, it had a HIPAA-compliant software platform, and had its doctor making remote Skype calls with patients, before the RN would initiate a whole host of regenerative medicine therapies.
This kind of scenario in fact created much regulatory jeopardy.
The medical spa client basically told us: we use stem cells we get here from Company X, we mix them up in the back of our office with formula Y, then we inject them here and there as the doctor emails us, were only doing it for beauty, we think its ok, we just want some clarification on the laws.
OK, so if the speed limit is 55 and Im going 90, but Im telling you its ok because Im driving an old Chevy, my seat belt if fastened, I have a radar detector, and Ive also surrounded myself with white light and asked the angels to protect me which by the way is not a bad idea, but dont rely on it when you go 90 because if I drive too fast and I have a long way to go and I want to get there quickly all I want to know is, i just want to know if am I legally ok I mean, my cousins lawyers half-sisters friend, who swears by this and also asked a lawyer, said it was ok, as long as I dont go over 90 miles an hour .
I know it sounds really silly, but its the sort of thing we hear, in one form or another all the time.
And thats why you cant take excuses, and your healthcare lawyers experience and professional lens can help you interpret the law.
Thanks for watching. Heres to the success of your healthcare venture, we look forward to speaking with you soon.
See the original post here:
Regenerative Medicine & Stem Cell Practice in Medical Spas ...
- Research Assistant - Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology job with NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE | 239606 - Times Higher Education (THE) - December 24th, 2020
- Getting to the root of why hair goes gray - messenger-inquirer - December 24th, 2020
- How the COVID Virus Induces Inflammation, Cytokine Storm and Stress in Infected Lung Cells - SciTechDaily - December 24th, 2020
- Medicine by Design symposium highlights importance of convergence in regenerative medicine and human health - News@UofT - December 22nd, 2020
- 2020 in Neuroscience, Longevity, and AIand What's to Come - Singularity Hub - December 22nd, 2020
- Updated Findings Show Continued Efficacy for CAR T-Cell Therapy in Heavily Pretreated Myeloma - Targeted Oncology - December 14th, 2020
- Cell Isolation/ Separation Market worth $15.0 billion by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - PRNewswire - December 14th, 2020
- Cord blood banks sell parents on promising stem cell research, but with no guarantees - The Arizona Republic - December 8th, 2020
- Procyon Technologies LLC and Novo Nordisk A/S to Collaborate on the Development of a Stem-Cell Based Therapy for Type 1 Diabetes - PRNewswire - December 8th, 2020
- Genetic engineering transformed stem cells into working mini-livers that extended the life of mice with liver disease - The Conversation US - December 8th, 2020
- Hadassah Medical Center and Neurogenesis Announce Groundbreaking Results from a Phase 2 Study in Progressive Multiple Sclerosis treated with NG-01... - December 8th, 2020
- Worldwide Cell Culture Industry to 2025 - Featuring Thermo Fisher Scientific, Corning Incorporated and Eppendorf Among Others - GlobeNewswire - December 8th, 2020
- The cell culturemarket is projected to reach USD 33.1 billion by 2025 from USD 19.0 billion in 2020, at a CAGR of 11.8% - GlobeNewswire - December 8th, 2020
- Treatment with Investigational LentiGlobin Gene Therapy for Sickle Cell Disease (bb1111) Results in Complete Elimination of SCD-Related Severe... - December 8th, 2020
- New DARZALEX (daratumumab) Data from GRIFFIN Study Show Deeper and Longer Responses in Patients with Newly Diagnosed Multiple Myeloma - BioSpace - December 8th, 2020
- Anatomy of a vaccine: What it takes to create a safe, effective COVID shot - University of California - December 8th, 2020
- Development of New Stem Cell Type May Lead to Advances In Regenerative Medicine - Newswise - December 3rd, 2020
- UCLA receives $7.3 million grant to build state-of-the-art facility for developing gene, cell therapies - UCLA Newsroom - December 3rd, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells Market in Global : Current and the Future Trends: Astellas Pharma Inc/ Ocata Therapeutics, Stemcell Technologies Inc - The... - December 3rd, 2020
- Possible Role for Comprehensive Molecular ProfilingBased Treatment Selection in Newly Diagnosed AML, Study Suggests - Cancer Therapy Advisor - December 3rd, 2020
- Nobel Prize history from the year you were born - Herald & Review - December 3rd, 2020
- 4D hires a trio of area heads as it ramps up its gene therapy pipeline - FierceBiotech - December 3rd, 2020
- Telix Pharmaceuticals Limited Acquires TheraPharm GmbH, Broadening Reach to Hematologic Cancers and Transplant Medicine - GlobeNewswire - December 1st, 2020
- ONLINE: The UW Now - Isthmus - December 1st, 2020
- Celularity Announces Positive DMC Safety Review and Continuation of its Phase I/II CYNK-001-COVID-19 (CYNKCOVID) Study - PRNewswire - December 1st, 2020
- Mustang Bio to Host Key Opinion Leader Call on MB-106 for the Treatment of Relapsed or Refractory B-Cell Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma - GlobeNewswire - December 1st, 2020
- Exploring the Challenges and Opportunities of Harvesting CTCs - Technology Networks - December 1st, 2020
- Asymmetrex Publishes the First Report of Immortal DNA Strands in Human Stem Cells - PR Web - November 18th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Detailed Analysis by On-going Trends, Prominent Size, Share, Sales and Forecast to 2025 - PRnews Leader - November 18th, 2020
- Study reveals how smoking worsens SARS-CoV-2 infection in the airways - UCLA Newsroom - November 18th, 2020
- Cell Expansion Market Analysis, COVID-19 Impact,Outlook, Opportunities, Size, Share Forecast and Supply Demand 2021-2027|Trusted Business Insights -... - November 18th, 2020
- University of Alberta research team poised to cure diabetesagain - The Post - Ontario - November 18th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Stem Cell Assay Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Bio-Techne Corporation, Promega... - November 18th, 2020
- Asia Pacific ultra-low temperature freezer market is anticipated to reach US$ 159.04 million by 2027 from US$ 109.02 million in 2019 - GlobeNewswire - November 18th, 2020
- California's Stem Cell Agency Will Get A Funding Boost From Prop 14. Here's A Look At Its History. - Capital Public Radio News - November 16th, 2020
- Gene-edited monkey embryos give researchers new way to study HIV cure - University of Wisconsin-Madison - November 16th, 2020
- Lineage Cell Therapeutics Proudly Supports Patients' Access to Innovative Cell Therapy Treatments and Research Through Passage of Proposition 14 -... - November 16th, 2020
- ExCellThera to establish stem cell bioproduction facility creating up to 150 jobs thanks to Government of Canada support - Canada NewsWire - November 16th, 2020
- Stanford coach's quest to save his brother: 'God, I hope this works' - Scope - November 16th, 2020
- The story of mRNA: From a loose idea to a tool that may help curb Covid - STAT - November 16th, 2020
- Sobi's Gamifant receives final rejection from CHMP for primary HLH - PMLiVE - November 16th, 2020
- Meeting Agenda Focuses on Increased Applications of Cellular Therapies in Hematologic Cancers - Targeted Oncology - November 16th, 2020
- Angiocrine Bioscience Announces FDA Regenerative Medicine Advanced Therapy (RMAT) Designation Granted to AB-205 (Universal E-CEL Cell Therapy) to... - November 12th, 2020
- Regenerative Medicine Market with Report In Depth Industry Analysis on Trends, Growth, Opportunities and Forecast till 2026 - Illadel Graff Supply - November 12th, 2020
- Leading Human Immunology and Infectious Disease Experts to Join UM School of Medicines Institute of Human Virology - Newswise - November 12th, 2020
- UB researcher narrows time window for administering specific treatment to infants with Krabbe disease - UB Now: News and views for UB faculty and... - November 12th, 2020
- FibroGenesis Announces the Filing of its 250th Patent for Fibroblast Cell Therapy Platform - PRNewswire - November 12th, 2020
- FROM THE LABS: Hispanic Heritage Spotlight: Interview with Dr. Nino Rainusso - Baylor College of Medicine News - November 12th, 2020
- Protective protein could help keep blood young and healthy - New Atlas - November 12th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Growth Factor with Regional Forecast, Segmentation, Investment Opportunities, Industry Research and End User Analysis... - November 9th, 2020
- Worldwide Regenerative Medicine Industry to 2025 - Featuring Allergan, Amgen and Baxter International Among Others - PRNewswire - November 9th, 2020
- Her favorite part of research was the patients, so she switched to primary... - Bothell-Kenmore Reporter - November 9th, 2020
- Regenerative Medicine Stem Cells Market Forecast Revised in a New FMI Report as COVID-19 Projected to Hold a Massive Impact on Sales in 2019 - KYT24 - November 5th, 2020
- How the Election Could Affect Health Care and Drug Policy - Scientific American - November 5th, 2020
- A Biden Win and Republican Senate Might Lead to Gridlock on Health Issues - Kaiser Health News - November 5th, 2020
- Angelika Amon, cell biologist who pioneered research on chromosome imbalance, dies at 53 - MIT News - October 30th, 2020
- USC biological imaging innovator elected to National Academy of Medicine > News > USC Dornsife - USC Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and... - October 24th, 2020
- Repurposing and Combining Drugs An Effective Cancer Treatment Strategy - Technology Networks - October 24th, 2020
- Rates of Invasive Pulmonary Aspergillosis in ICU Patients With Influenza Far Lower Than Previously Thought - Contagionlive.com - October 24th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Regenerative Therapy Market Report to Describe Major Companies and Their Strategies (2019-2024) - PRnews Leader - October 23rd, 2020
- Baby Gets Early Stem Cell Transplant to Treat Rare Disease Thanks to Newborn Screening - University of Michigan Health System News - October 23rd, 2020
- Catalent and BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics Announce Partnership for the Manufacture of Mesenchymal Stem Cell Platform Therapy NurOwn - GlobeNewswire - October 23rd, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics CEO Bobby Gaspar, M.D., Ph.D., Appointed to the Alliance for Regenerative Medicine's 2021 Board of Directors - GlobeNewswire - October 23rd, 2020
- Be Biopharma debuts with $52M to advance engineered B-cell therapies - FierceBiotech - October 23rd, 2020
- Five Penn faculty elected to the National Academy of Medicine - Penn Today - October 21st, 2020
- Vor Biopharma Appoints Matthew R. Patterson to its Board of Directors - BioSpace - October 21st, 2020
- Harvard Business School and Harvard's Department of Stem Cell and Regenerative Biology Receive $25 Million Gift from Chris and Carrie Shumway to... - October 20th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Industry Research Report, Growth Trends and Competitive Analysis 2020-2027: ESI BIO, Thermo Fisher, BioTime,... - October 20th, 2020
- Notch Therapeutics Strengthens Leadership Team with Appointment of Kamran Alam as CFO and Gregory Block as SVP, Corporate Development - PRNewswire - October 20th, 2020
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market 2020 Potential Growth, Competitive Landscape and Development of Industry by 2025 Wall Street... - October 20th, 2020
- Regenerative Medicine Market 2020 Industry Insights by Share, Emerging Trends, Regional Analysis, Segments, Prime Players, Drivers, Growth Factor and... - October 20th, 2020
- The untapped market of cord blood banking - The Malaysian Reserve - October 15th, 2020
- Singapore invents digitized optimization of culture conditions for cell therapy - BSA bureau - October 15th, 2020
- Pluristem Announces Clearance to Move Forward with Enrollment for Cohort II in an Investigator-Led Phase I/II Chronic Graft vs Host Disease... - October 15th, 2020
- U of T's Medicine by Design invests $1 million to advance new ideas in regenerative medicine - News@UofT - October 10th, 2020
- Proposition 14 would authorize state to borrow $5.5 billon for stem cell research - KESQ - October 10th, 2020
- AIVITA Biomedical's Stem Cell Therapeutic in Vision Loss Published in Investigative Ophthalmology & Vision Science - PRNewswire - October 10th, 2020
- Regenerative Medicine Market | Increasing Prevalence of Chronic Diseases to Boost the Market Growth | Technavio - Business Wire - October 10th, 2020
- University of Wisconsin Researchers Use Stem Cells to Treat Parkinson's - Gilmore Health News - October 10th, 2020
- Cartilage Repair/ Cartilage Regeneration Market worth $1,603 million by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - PRNewswire - October 10th, 2020