Early antitumor activity was seen with cord bloodderived natural killer (NK) immunotherapy in combination with high-dose chemotherapy and autologous stem cell transplant (ASCT) in patients with B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL), according to early results from a phase 2 trial (NCT03019640) presented in a poster during the 2021 Transplant & Cellular Therapy Meetings.
The investigators evaluated the potential of the novel cellular cord bloodderived NK immunotherapy in patients with B-cell NHL who are undergoing high-dose chemotherapy and ASCT. They chose CB units for NK cell expansion on artificial antigen presenting cells and without human leukocyte antigens (HLA) matching to provide increased expansion and make the treatment off-the-shelf capable.
The study enrolled patients who were aged 15 to 70 with B-cell NHL, excluding primary central nervous system lymphoma, who were candidates for high-dose chemotherapy and ASCT. Patients were required to have adequate end-organ function, an ECOG performance status of 0 or 1, and prior apheresis of 2 x 106 CD34+ cells/Kg in order to be eligible.
Those with prior whole brain irradiation, active hepatitis B, evidence of cirrhosis or high-grade liver fibrosis, active infection, HIV infection, or received radiation therapy within the past month were excluded from joining the trial.
Patients were given intravenous (IV) carmustine over 2 hours 12 days prior to transplant, IV etoposide twice daily over 3 hours and IV cytarabine twice daily over 1 hour for days 11 to 8 prior to transplant, IV melphalan over 30 minutes 7 days prior to transplant, oral lenalidomide (Revlimid) once daily for days 7 through 2 prior to transplant. Additionally, patients who are CD20-positive received IV rituximab (Rituxan) over 3 hours for days 13 through 7 prior to transplant.
Then patients received cord bloodderived expanded allogeneic NK cells intravenously over 1 hour on day 5 prior to ASCT. Five days following ASCT, patients started received daily subcutaneous filgrastim.
The primary end point was 30-day treatment-related mortality (TRM) and secondary end points were relapse-free survival (RFS), overall survival, and NK cell persistence.
Study authors, led by Yago L. Nieto, MD, PhD, in the Department of Stem Cell Transplantation, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, provided an update on data for 20 of the enrolled patients in the study. Patients were enrolled between December 2017 and July 2020. One patient experienced rapid tumor progression during culture of NK cells and thus was not treated in the study.
The median age of the 19 treated patients was 60 years (range, 33-70) with the majority (73.7%) being male and having diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (DLBCL; 84.2%); the 3 remaining patients had mantle cell lymphoma (n = 2) or follicular lymphoma (n = 1). More than two-thirds (68.4%) of patients had relapsed disease whereas the 2 patients with MCL were being treated in the frontline setting and 4 patients had primary refractory disease. The median number of prior lines of therapy was 2 (range, 1-4).
Response assessed through PET at ASCT was a complete response for 78.9%, partial response for 15.8%, and progressive disease for 5.3%. Nine patients had 1/6 HLA match of cord blood at DR, 6 had 1/6 match at B, 3 had 1/6 match at A, and 1 had 2/6 match at B and DR.
Cord bloodderived NK cells were expanded a median of 1552-fold (range, 317-4767) with the infused NK product comprising a CD3-CD16+CD56+ phenotype for a median of 98.9% (range, 97.6%-99.5%) of the cells. The cord bloodderived NK cells had a median viability of 96.5% (range, 92%-98%). In the peripheral blood, NK cells were detectable for a mean of 2 weeks (range, 2-3).
For weeks 1 through 3, the cord bloodderived NK cells showed a higher percentage of NKG2D and NKp30 activation receptors than the patients own NK cells; the study authors noted that this indicated an effector phenotype. Additionally, NK persistence was found not to be impacted by the degree of HLA mismatch.
At a median follow-up of 18 months (range, 4-340), the RFS rate was 68% and the OS rate was 84%. Eleven of the 16 patients (68.8%) with DLBCL are still in remission.
The study authors concluded that expanded and highly purified cord bloodderived NK immunotherapy was safe and promising in combination with high-dose chemotherapy and ASCT in patients with B-cell NHL.
Nato Y, Kaur I, Hosing C, et al. Immunotherapy with ex vivo-expanded cord blood (CB)-derived nk cells combined with high-dose chemotherapy (HDC) and autologous stem cell transplant (ASCT) for B-cell non-hodgkins lymphoma (NHL). Presented at: 2021 Transplant & Cellular Therapy Meetings; February 8-12, 2021; Virtual. LBA15.
- Researchers investigate whether stem cell therapy is safe and effective for treatment-resistant bipolar disease - Newswise - April 18th, 2021
- Stem Cell and Regenerative Therapy Market: Cell Therapy Segment to Dominate Global Market - BioSpace - April 18th, 2021
- First in the nation, FDA-approved Phase II mesenchymal stem cell therapy for Parkinson's disease begins - Newswise - April 18th, 2021
- Cellino Biotech developing tech to help scale stem cell therapies - MedCity News - April 18th, 2021
- Stem cell treatment needed to fight the good fight - Victoria Lookout - April 18th, 2021
- Being bionic: the future of regenerative medicine - Toronto Star - April 18th, 2021
- Treating chronic myeloid leukemia (CML): By phase and more - Medical News Today - April 18th, 2021
- Chemical conversion of human epidermal stem cells into intestinal goblet cells for modeling mucus-microbe interaction and therapy - Science Advances - April 18th, 2021
- Andres Isaias Combining Innovation and Excellence - Influencive - April 18th, 2021
- A Massive New Gene Editing Project Is Out to Crush Alzheimer's - Singularity Hub - April 18th, 2021
- Antibiotic Use Prior to Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplantation May Be Linked to Graft Vs Host Disease - Hematology Advisor - April 18th, 2021
- Mucopolysaccharidosis (MPS) Treatment Market Is Rising With Post COVID-19 Impact Analysis, Development, CAGR - Global Banking And Finance Review - April 18th, 2021
- The Recovery Room: News beyond the pandemic April 16 - Medical News Today - April 18th, 2021
- The Governments Watchful Eye on Fraud Stemming from Stem Cell Therapy - JD Supra - April 4th, 2021
- Uprooting Cancer: Innovative Hydrogel Rapidly Reverts Cancer Cells Back to Cancer Stem Cells - SciTechDaily - April 4th, 2021
- Multiple sclerosis: Recent research on causes and treatments - Medical News Today - April 4th, 2021
- First CAR T-Cell Therapy for Multiple Myeloma: Abecma - Medscape - April 4th, 2021
- Vitro Biopharma Retains Leading Health Care Executive as Acting Director of Regulatory Affairs & Director - Benzinga - April 4th, 2021
- Allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation for therapy-related myeloid neoplasms following treatment of a lymphoid malignancy - DocWire News - April 4th, 2021
- Orca-T Offers an Alternative to HSCT With Improved Patient Experience - OncLive - April 4th, 2021
- Russell Health Highlighted in the Silicon Review's '50 Leading Companies of the Year 2021' - PRNewswire - April 4th, 2021
- Gracell Biotechnologies Announces Enrollment of First Patient in Registrational Phase 1/2 Clinical Study for GC007g, an Allogeneic CAR-T Cell Therapy... - April 4th, 2021
- LGL Leukemia: Overview, Symptoms, and Treatment - Healthline - April 4th, 2021
- Funding the Next Generation of Cancer Therapies - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - April 4th, 2021
- RenovaCare Announces Organizational Changes and Appointment of New Officers - GlobeNewswire - April 4th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market expected to reach USD 16.51 Billion by 2025 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - March 8th, 2021
- Creative Medical Technology Holdings Publishes Efficacy in Pain Reduction and Mobility in Patients with Disc Degenerative Disc Using StemSpine... - March 8th, 2021
- New Controversy for Stem Cell Therapy That Repairs Spinal Cords - The Great Courses Daily News - March 8th, 2021
- Cell Therapy for Cartilage Regeneration Gets a Boost With Hyaluronic Acid Enriched Chondrocytes in a 3D Tissue Engineering Platform - Business Wire - March 8th, 2021
- Scar-Forming Cells Switch to Producing New Neurons that Promote Functional Recovery in Mice after Spinal Cord Injury - Genetic Engineering &... - March 8th, 2021
- Moderna Hires Harvard Stem Cell Researcher Jonathan Hoggatt as Director of Hematology: What You Need to Know - Yahoo Finance - March 8th, 2021
- Stem Cell Banking Market Report 2021 | Growth and Opportunities Analysis - BioSpace - February 19th, 2021
- Global Cell Therapy Biomanufacturing Market (2020 to 2025) - Featuring Lonza Group, Merck & Novartis Among Others - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - February 19th, 2021
- Braunschweig Makes the Case for Earlier Use of CAR T-Cell Therapy in DLBCL - OncLive - February 17th, 2021
- Creative Medical Technology Holdings Files Patent on Prevention of Organ Transplant Rejection using ImmCelz - PRNewswire - February 17th, 2021
- Lineage to Host Virtual OPC1 Investor & Analyst Day on February 22, 2021 - Business Wire - February 17th, 2021
- Novartis, Gates Foundation pursue a simpler gene therapy for sickle cell - STAT - February 17th, 2021
- CRISPR Therapeutics Provides Business Update and Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2020 Financial Results - GlobeNewswire - February 17th, 2021
- Equillium Presents Positive Interim Clinical Data of Itolizumab in First-line Treatment of Acute Graft-Versus-Host Disease at the 2021 Transplantation... - February 14th, 2021
- Zebrafish reveal regenerative protein that could inspire new treatments for muscle-wasting diseases and aging - FierceBiotech - February 11th, 2021
- Stem cell study illuminates the cause of an inherited heart disorder | Penn Today - Penn Today - February 11th, 2021
- Neurons from patient blood cells enable researchers to test treatments for genetic brain disease - Brown University - February 11th, 2021
- Therapeutic Solutions International Acquires Stem Cell Therapy That Successfully Completed FDA Double Blind Placebo Controlled Efficacy Study for Lung... - February 11th, 2021
- The Role and Activation Mechanism of TAZ in Hierarchical Microgroove/N | IJN - Dove Medical Press - February 11th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market: Top 5 trends fueling the industry revenue through 2025 - BioSpace - February 9th, 2021
- Magenta Therapeutics to Present Additional Data from Phase 1 MGTA-145 Stem Cell Mobilization Program and Preclinical Updates on Targeting Conditioning... - February 9th, 2021
- Gamida Cell Presents Efficacy and Safety Results of Phase 3 Study of Omidubicel in Patients with Hematologic Malignancies at the 2021 TCT Meetings of... - February 9th, 2021
- Creative Medical Technology Holdings Recruits Internationally Renowned Kidney Expert to Scientific Advisory Board - PRNewswire - February 9th, 2021
- Jasper Therapeutics Announces Positive Data from Phase 1 Clinical Trial of JSP191 as Targeted Stem Cell Conditioning Agent in Patients with... - February 9th, 2021
- USC scientist Ya-Wen Chen receives American Lung Association grant to advance stem cell-based lung therapies - USC News - February 9th, 2021
- [Full text] Successful Use of Nivolumab in a Patient with Head and Neck Cancer Aft | OTT - Dove Medical Press - February 9th, 2021
- Responses to Liso-Cel Not Influenced by Prior Treatment With Anti-CD19 Agents in R/R Large B-Cell Lymphoma - Targeted Oncology - February 9th, 2021
- Drugs that trip cellular alarm could help clear out hibernating HIV - New Atlas - February 9th, 2021
- Leukemia in children: Symptoms, causes, treatment, outlook, and more - Medical News Today - February 6th, 2021
- Stem Cell Study Illuminates the Cause of a Devastating Inherited Heart Disorder - Newswise - February 4th, 2021
- iSpecimen expands offerings to support regenerative medicine, adding cryopreserved stem and immune cells to existing biospecimens available through... - February 4th, 2021
- CU Researchers Win Prize from National Eye Institute - CU Anschutz Today - February 4th, 2021
- Leading Urologist Doubles Down on CaverStem Regenerative Stem Cell Procedure for Treatment of Erectile Dysfunction in Men - BioSpace - January 25th, 2021
- Research Assistant - Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology job with NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE | 239606 - Times Higher Education (THE) - December 24th, 2020
- Getting to the root of why hair goes gray - messenger-inquirer - December 24th, 2020
- How the COVID Virus Induces Inflammation, Cytokine Storm and Stress in Infected Lung Cells - SciTechDaily - December 24th, 2020
- Medicine by Design symposium highlights importance of convergence in regenerative medicine and human health - News@UofT - December 22nd, 2020
- 2020 in Neuroscience, Longevity, and AIand What's to Come - Singularity Hub - December 22nd, 2020
- Updated Findings Show Continued Efficacy for CAR T-Cell Therapy in Heavily Pretreated Myeloma - Targeted Oncology - December 14th, 2020
- Cell Isolation/ Separation Market worth $15.0 billion by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - PRNewswire - December 14th, 2020
- Cord blood banks sell parents on promising stem cell research, but with no guarantees - The Arizona Republic - December 8th, 2020
- Procyon Technologies LLC and Novo Nordisk A/S to Collaborate on the Development of a Stem-Cell Based Therapy for Type 1 Diabetes - PRNewswire - December 8th, 2020
- Genetic engineering transformed stem cells into working mini-livers that extended the life of mice with liver disease - The Conversation US - December 8th, 2020
- Hadassah Medical Center and Neurogenesis Announce Groundbreaking Results from a Phase 2 Study in Progressive Multiple Sclerosis treated with NG-01... - December 8th, 2020
- Worldwide Cell Culture Industry to 2025 - Featuring Thermo Fisher Scientific, Corning Incorporated and Eppendorf Among Others - GlobeNewswire - December 8th, 2020
- The cell culturemarket is projected to reach USD 33.1 billion by 2025 from USD 19.0 billion in 2020, at a CAGR of 11.8% - GlobeNewswire - December 8th, 2020
- Treatment with Investigational LentiGlobin Gene Therapy for Sickle Cell Disease (bb1111) Results in Complete Elimination of SCD-Related Severe... - December 8th, 2020
- New DARZALEX (daratumumab) Data from GRIFFIN Study Show Deeper and Longer Responses in Patients with Newly Diagnosed Multiple Myeloma - BioSpace - December 8th, 2020
- Anatomy of a vaccine: What it takes to create a safe, effective COVID shot - University of California - December 8th, 2020
- Development of New Stem Cell Type May Lead to Advances In Regenerative Medicine - Newswise - December 3rd, 2020
- UCLA receives $7.3 million grant to build state-of-the-art facility for developing gene, cell therapies - UCLA Newsroom - December 3rd, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells Market in Global : Current and the Future Trends: Astellas Pharma Inc/ Ocata Therapeutics, Stemcell Technologies Inc - The... - December 3rd, 2020
- Possible Role for Comprehensive Molecular ProfilingBased Treatment Selection in Newly Diagnosed AML, Study Suggests - Cancer Therapy Advisor - December 3rd, 2020
- Nobel Prize history from the year you were born - Herald & Review - December 3rd, 2020
- 4D hires a trio of area heads as it ramps up its gene therapy pipeline - FierceBiotech - December 3rd, 2020