By TNH Staff September 21, 2019
(NASA, ESA, S. Beckwith (STScI), HUDF Team via AP)
A 31-year-old Greek woman who has racked up international acclaim as a renowned scientist isnt one, academics said, and the US space agency NASA said she never worked there as she claimed.
Eleni Antoniadou, 31, has won praise and awards around the world for her supposed work in a wide range of fields, including regenerative medicine, artificial organ bioengineering and space medicine at NASA.
The British newspaper The Telegraph said it was told by NASA she had not been on the staff there and university professors also disputed her assertions, undercutting her frequent appearances n the media and her claims for international achievements and as she was just presented an achievement award by Greek Education Minister Niki Kerameus who said, Her passion for science inspires us and fills us with optimism.
A Facebook post by Costas Bouyioukos, assistant professor of bioinformatics at Paris Diderot University in France that went viral went even further in discrediting her as he said She is not even fit to be called a scientist for most people.
Bouyioukos said she only and only completed the space agencys Frontier Development Lab, an eight-week educational program.
Antoniadou, the inspiration for Greeces first Barbie doll, has been described as a specialist in the fields of regenerative medicine, artificial organ bioengineering and space medicine, as well as training astronauts at NASA, and working as CEO of Transplants Without Donors, which creates artificial organs for transplants, the paper said.
She has been called a Greek scientist of global calibre by Greek media and was voted 2013 Woman of the Year at the annual British FDM Everywoman in Technology Awards, winning the NASA-ESA Outstanding Researcher Award in 2012 which doesnt appear to be real and presiding over the European Health Parliament.
Greek Hoaxes, a team which debunks fake news, also dismissed her claim to have worked on a team that built the first trachea implant to be successfully used on a patient at University College London, saying the patient died afterwards, the paper reported.
She issued a statement on Facebook saying she was working on a project on artificial intelligence for NASA but would not comment to the paper while a spokesperson for the agency said she was not an employee there but couldnt say if she had worked as a sub-contractor on projects.
The National Herald earlier wrote of her achievements as well, saying that he had said of her motivation: Love another person, even when they lose themselves, when their hygiene is failing, when they dont eat, when they dont care if they are in the light or the darkness. When they have given up and you want to give them a kick and put them to bed. Love, even when youre not sure its worth it. Admire them, even if they look at you without actually seeing you.
She had said she was a researcher in the interdisciplinary fields of regenerative medicine and bioastronautics, specializing in the regeneration of artificial organs from stem cells as an alternative therapeutic pathway for transplants and worked on the creation of cerebral implants, artificial skin, muscles, ears, nerves and the esophagus.
She said she designed a series of bioreactors and tissue engineering tools and has created the worlds first amniotic fluid stem cell bank, conducted experimental studies on the development of bio-nanotubes as drug carriers for targeted cancer therapies, as well as clinical trials for stem cell therapies for lung cancer.
Antoniadou also said she was on the Advisory Committee of the Research and Analysis Organization, DIANEOSIS, in Greece and had been honored by the European Patent Organization in Germany but there were no reports in the wake of others challenging her background whether any of what she said she had done was true.
See the article here:
Greek Woman's Claim to Be Scientist Refuted by NASA - The National Herald
- Telix Pharmaceuticals Limited Acquires TheraPharm GmbH, Broadening Reach to Hematologic Cancers and Transplant Medicine - GlobeNewswire - December 1st, 2020
- ONLINE: The UW Now - Isthmus - December 1st, 2020
- Celularity Announces Positive DMC Safety Review and Continuation of its Phase I/II CYNK-001-COVID-19 (CYNKCOVID) Study - PRNewswire - December 1st, 2020
- Mustang Bio to Host Key Opinion Leader Call on MB-106 for the Treatment of Relapsed or Refractory B-Cell Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma - GlobeNewswire - December 1st, 2020
- Exploring the Challenges and Opportunities of Harvesting CTCs - Technology Networks - December 1st, 2020
- Asymmetrex Publishes the First Report of Immortal DNA Strands in Human Stem Cells - PR Web - November 18th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Detailed Analysis by On-going Trends, Prominent Size, Share, Sales and Forecast to 2025 - PRnews Leader - November 18th, 2020
- Study reveals how smoking worsens SARS-CoV-2 infection in the airways - UCLA Newsroom - November 18th, 2020
- Cell Expansion Market Analysis, COVID-19 Impact,Outlook, Opportunities, Size, Share Forecast and Supply Demand 2021-2027|Trusted Business Insights -... - November 18th, 2020
- University of Alberta research team poised to cure diabetesagain - The Post - Ontario - November 18th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Stem Cell Assay Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Bio-Techne Corporation, Promega... - November 18th, 2020
- Asia Pacific ultra-low temperature freezer market is anticipated to reach US$ 159.04 million by 2027 from US$ 109.02 million in 2019 - GlobeNewswire - November 18th, 2020
- California's Stem Cell Agency Will Get A Funding Boost From Prop 14. Here's A Look At Its History. - Capital Public Radio News - November 16th, 2020
- Gene-edited monkey embryos give researchers new way to study HIV cure - University of Wisconsin-Madison - November 16th, 2020
- Lineage Cell Therapeutics Proudly Supports Patients' Access to Innovative Cell Therapy Treatments and Research Through Passage of Proposition 14 -... - November 16th, 2020
- ExCellThera to establish stem cell bioproduction facility creating up to 150 jobs thanks to Government of Canada support - Canada NewsWire - November 16th, 2020
- Stanford coach's quest to save his brother: 'God, I hope this works' - Scope - November 16th, 2020
- The story of mRNA: From a loose idea to a tool that may help curb Covid - STAT - November 16th, 2020
- Sobi's Gamifant receives final rejection from CHMP for primary HLH - PMLiVE - November 16th, 2020
- Meeting Agenda Focuses on Increased Applications of Cellular Therapies in Hematologic Cancers - Targeted Oncology - November 16th, 2020
- Angiocrine Bioscience Announces FDA Regenerative Medicine Advanced Therapy (RMAT) Designation Granted to AB-205 (Universal E-CEL Cell Therapy) to... - November 12th, 2020
- Regenerative Medicine Market with Report In Depth Industry Analysis on Trends, Growth, Opportunities and Forecast till 2026 - Illadel Graff Supply - November 12th, 2020
- Leading Human Immunology and Infectious Disease Experts to Join UM School of Medicines Institute of Human Virology - Newswise - November 12th, 2020
- UB researcher narrows time window for administering specific treatment to infants with Krabbe disease - UB Now: News and views for UB faculty and... - November 12th, 2020
- FibroGenesis Announces the Filing of its 250th Patent for Fibroblast Cell Therapy Platform - PRNewswire - November 12th, 2020
- FROM THE LABS: Hispanic Heritage Spotlight: Interview with Dr. Nino Rainusso - Baylor College of Medicine News - November 12th, 2020
- Protective protein could help keep blood young and healthy - New Atlas - November 12th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Growth Factor with Regional Forecast, Segmentation, Investment Opportunities, Industry Research and End User Analysis... - November 9th, 2020
- Worldwide Regenerative Medicine Industry to 2025 - Featuring Allergan, Amgen and Baxter International Among Others - PRNewswire - November 9th, 2020
- Her favorite part of research was the patients, so she switched to primary... - Bothell-Kenmore Reporter - November 9th, 2020
- Regenerative Medicine Stem Cells Market Forecast Revised in a New FMI Report as COVID-19 Projected to Hold a Massive Impact on Sales in 2019 - KYT24 - November 5th, 2020
- How the Election Could Affect Health Care and Drug Policy - Scientific American - November 5th, 2020
- A Biden Win and Republican Senate Might Lead to Gridlock on Health Issues - Kaiser Health News - November 5th, 2020
- Angelika Amon, cell biologist who pioneered research on chromosome imbalance, dies at 53 - MIT News - October 30th, 2020
- USC biological imaging innovator elected to National Academy of Medicine > News > USC Dornsife - USC Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and... - October 24th, 2020
- Repurposing and Combining Drugs An Effective Cancer Treatment Strategy - Technology Networks - October 24th, 2020
- Rates of Invasive Pulmonary Aspergillosis in ICU Patients With Influenza Far Lower Than Previously Thought - Contagionlive.com - October 24th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Regenerative Therapy Market Report to Describe Major Companies and Their Strategies (2019-2024) - PRnews Leader - October 23rd, 2020
- Baby Gets Early Stem Cell Transplant to Treat Rare Disease Thanks to Newborn Screening - University of Michigan Health System News - October 23rd, 2020
- Catalent and BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics Announce Partnership for the Manufacture of Mesenchymal Stem Cell Platform Therapy NurOwn - GlobeNewswire - October 23rd, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics CEO Bobby Gaspar, M.D., Ph.D., Appointed to the Alliance for Regenerative Medicine's 2021 Board of Directors - GlobeNewswire - October 23rd, 2020
- Be Biopharma debuts with $52M to advance engineered B-cell therapies - FierceBiotech - October 23rd, 2020
- Five Penn faculty elected to the National Academy of Medicine - Penn Today - October 21st, 2020
- Vor Biopharma Appoints Matthew R. Patterson to its Board of Directors - BioSpace - October 21st, 2020
- Harvard Business School and Harvard's Department of Stem Cell and Regenerative Biology Receive $25 Million Gift from Chris and Carrie Shumway to... - October 20th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Industry Research Report, Growth Trends and Competitive Analysis 2020-2027: ESI BIO, Thermo Fisher, BioTime,... - October 20th, 2020
- Notch Therapeutics Strengthens Leadership Team with Appointment of Kamran Alam as CFO and Gregory Block as SVP, Corporate Development - PRNewswire - October 20th, 2020
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market 2020 Potential Growth, Competitive Landscape and Development of Industry by 2025 Wall Street... - October 20th, 2020
- Regenerative Medicine Market 2020 Industry Insights by Share, Emerging Trends, Regional Analysis, Segments, Prime Players, Drivers, Growth Factor and... - October 20th, 2020
- The untapped market of cord blood banking - The Malaysian Reserve - October 15th, 2020
- Singapore invents digitized optimization of culture conditions for cell therapy - BSA bureau - October 15th, 2020
- Pluristem Announces Clearance to Move Forward with Enrollment for Cohort II in an Investigator-Led Phase I/II Chronic Graft vs Host Disease... - October 15th, 2020
- U of T's Medicine by Design invests $1 million to advance new ideas in regenerative medicine - News@UofT - October 10th, 2020
- Proposition 14 would authorize state to borrow $5.5 billon for stem cell research - KESQ - October 10th, 2020
- AIVITA Biomedical's Stem Cell Therapeutic in Vision Loss Published in Investigative Ophthalmology & Vision Science - PRNewswire - October 10th, 2020
- Regenerative Medicine Market | Increasing Prevalence of Chronic Diseases to Boost the Market Growth | Technavio - Business Wire - October 10th, 2020
- University of Wisconsin Researchers Use Stem Cells to Treat Parkinson's - Gilmore Health News - October 10th, 2020
- Cartilage Repair/ Cartilage Regeneration Market worth $1,603 million by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - PRNewswire - October 10th, 2020
- Mission: a cure to cancer - Innovation Origins - October 10th, 2020
- What You Need to Know About Prop 14, The Stem Cell Research Bond (Transcript) - KQED - October 3rd, 2020
- SMART researchers receive Intra-CREATE grant for personalized medicine and cell therapy - MIT News - October 3rd, 2020
- Abu Dhabi Stem Cells Centre collaborating with Israeli firm for COVID-19 therapies - Gulf News - October 3rd, 2020
- Majority of Respondents Support Chimeric Animal Research: Survey - The Scientist - October 3rd, 2020
- Hair Regeneration Therapy Company Stemson Therapeutics Raises $7.5 Million - Pulse 2.0 - September 21st, 2020
- Election 2020: Prop. 14 and stem cell research funding - KCBX - September 21st, 2020
- Intestinal Organoid Built That Looks and Functions Like Real Tissue - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - September 21st, 2020
- Recruiting Faculty in Molecular and Cellular Biology - Nature.com - September 19th, 2020
- Regenerative Therapy by Dr. Roshni Patel on Better CT - Farmington, CT - Patch.com - September 19th, 2020
- California's $7.8 Billion Proposition 14 Could Expand Conflicts of Interest in Stem Cell Research | K. Lloyd Billingsley - The Beacon - September 15th, 2020
- GA sues therapists after making $6.4 Million on unproven products - ValdostaToday.com - September 15th, 2020
- NK Cell Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy Market Report 2020 (COVID-19 Impact Analysis) By Segmentations, Key Company Profiles & Demand Forecasts to... - September 15th, 2020
- LifeGaines Medical and Aesthetics Center in Boca Raton Helps Patients Stay Young and Healthy - Yahoo Finance - September 15th, 2020
- New research connects the hormones we're born with to lifetime risk for immunological diseases - MSUToday - September 15th, 2020
- The Tax Watchers: How would you spend other people's money? - Fairfield Daily Republic - September 11th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027) - Kewaskum Statesman News Journal - September 11th, 2020
- Plinabulin Granted FDA Breakthrough Therapy Designation for Chemotherapy-Induced Neutropenia - Targeted Oncology - September 11th, 2020
- GSK and J&J alum Vijay Reddy to take control of R&D at Tmunity; Andrew Hirsch exits Agios for CEO job at C4 Therapeutics - Endpoints News - September 11th, 2020
- New Data Further Reinforce Genentech's Ocrevus (ocrelizumab) as a Highly Effective Treatment for People With Multiple Sclerosis - BioSpace - September 11th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Report, History and Forecast 2020-2027, Data Breakdown by Manufacturers, Key Regions, Types and Application - News Degree - September 11th, 2020
- Global Organoids and Spheroids Market Is Expected to Reach USD 2794.79 Million by 2027 : Fior Markets - GlobeNewswire - September 8th, 2020