4 min read30 July
Taking account of a patients background, the circumstances of their lives and the particular challenges they might face is crucial to delivering complex treatments like stem cell transplantation.
In May, the APPG on Stem Cell Transplantation published a report following its inquiry looking at how a patients background and circumstances, including a patients geographical location, socioeconomic background and ethnicity, can lead to barriers when accessing treatment and care.
Health Inequalities, as defined by NHS England, are unfair and avoidable differences in health across the population, and between different groups within society.
Rik Basra discovered the difficulties faced by patients of an Asian background when his Acute Myeloid Leukaemia (AML) returned after a two-year remission. The only hope for Rik was a stem cell transplant but he discovered his would be an uphill battle because its less likely for patients of an ethnic minority background to have someone already on the stem cell donor register who is a genetic match to donate their stem cells for this lifesaving treatment. Unfortunately for a variety of reasons, ethnic minority patients have only a 37% chance of finding an unrelated stem cell donor, compared to 72% for white patients.
This is just one of the experiences we heard about as part of this important Inquiry. A patient shouldnt experience disparity when it comes to the best treatment and care or chance of survival and future quality of life because of their background. The inquiry has explored how ethnicity, as well as other factors such as age, where you live and your socio-economic status can impact different parts of a patients treatment and care journey when receiving a stem cell transplant. The focus has been on understanding where the barriers lie, and what can be done to remove these barriers.
We were fortunate that we were able to find a donor for Max, others were not so lucky, particularly those from mixed race and ethnic minority backgrounds
My interest in this area stems from personal experience when some 13 years ago my elder son Max was diagnosed with Leukaemia. This was devastating for my son and my family. The whole world turns upside down as you embark on a programme of treatment and the subsequent decision to go down the transplant path.
We were fortunate that we were able to find a donor for Max. We were acutely aware that others were not so lucky, particularly those from mixed race and ethnic minority backgrounds. We were again fortunate that we had a supportive family network and a job that paid well. For many the financial impact of supporting a family member through this journey is huge and rarely talked about. I have long argued that we need to look at a treatment and support plan that looks at all these factors rather than just the physical treatment itself.
We received rich and insightful responses in our inquiry from over 40 patients, family members, clinicians, charities, and researchers through written and oral evidence. What became clear was that taking account of a patients background, the circumstances of their lives and the particular challenges they might face is crucial to delivering complex treatments like stem cell transplantation.
Our report explores recommendations to address these challenges, calling on government and the NHS, amongst others, to make changes such as investing in research and making sure care is culturally appropriate, meaning healthcare professionals have the ability to understand, communicate with and effectively interact with people across cultures. We were joined by Lord Bethell, a Health Minister with responsibility for stem cell transplantation, at the report launch. He commented on timeliness of this report and welcomed the recommendations made, citing a commitment for the Department to work with APPG on the recommendations.
We hope the findings from this report will act as a springboard to encourage more research and a renewed focus on understanding and overcoming barriers to accessing treatment and care for a stem cell transplant.
Our findings and our recommendations will be relevant far beyond stem cell transplantation. Its vital we use the lessons from the pandemic to make a real step-change in health inequalities. We have a once in a lifetime opportunity to ensure patients get the treatment, care and support they need whatever their background. Find out more about the inquiry here.
Mark Tamiis the Labour MP for Alyn and Deeside and chair of theAPPG on Stem Cell Transplantation.
Get the inside track on what MPs and Peers are talking about. Sign up to The House's morning email for the latest insight and reaction from Parliamentarians, policy-makers and organisations.
- New Stem Cell Approach Through Using Wavelength Laser Might have Discovered Why Humans Lose Hair - Tech Times - October 5th, 2021
- Stem cells and their role in lung transplant rejection - Michigan Medicine - October 5th, 2021
- Pharmaxis Cleared To Progress To Phase 2 Bone Marrow Cancer Trial - KMVT - October 5th, 2021
- StemExpress Partners with the Alliance for Regenerative Medicine to Provide COVID-19 Testing for the Cell and Gene Meeting on the Mesa - WIBW - October 5th, 2021
- Diabetic patient receives stem cell therapy - The Hindu - August 18th, 2021
- COVID- 19 Third Dose Approved for Certain Immunocompromised Individuals - the City of Cambridge - August 18th, 2021
- Acute Myeloid Leukemia Treatment: What You Need to Know - Healthline - August 18th, 2021
- 3D Bioprinting Market Size to Reach USD 2,687.8 Million in 2027 | Increasing Use of 3D Bioprinters in Medical Procedures, Training and Testing Along... - August 18th, 2021
- Some Residents Should Consider Third COVID-19 Vaccine Dose - Wyoming Department of Health - August 18th, 2021
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Size, Demand, Growth, Trends, Segmentation and Forecasts to 2028 - The Market Writeuo - The Market Writeuo - August 18th, 2021
- Head-To-Head Phase 3 Trial To Evaluate BTK Inhibitors in MCL - Targeted Oncology - August 18th, 2021
- Safety of Stem Cell Therapy for Chronic Knee Pain Confirmed in New Study - SciTechDaily - August 5th, 2021
- Asia-Pacific Cell Therapy Market8 - Opportunities in the Approval of Kymriah and Yescarta - Markets Insider - August 5th, 2021
- Fate Therapeutics Announces Treatment of First Patient in Landmark Phase 1 Clinical Trial of FT819, the First-ever iPSC-derived CAR T-Cell Therapy |... - August 5th, 2021
- Gliomagenesis is orchestrated by the Oct3/4 regulatory network. - Physician's Weekly - August 5th, 2021
- Improving the Treatment Gap in Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma - Targeted Oncology - August 5th, 2021
- Fate Therapeutics Reports Second Quarter 2021 Financial Results and Highlights Operational Progress - StreetInsider.com - August 5th, 2021
- MUHS, Nashik to conduct fellowship course in regenerative medicine - BSI bureau - August 5th, 2021
- FDA Hands Out Surprising Rejection of Meduxus and Medac's Treosulfan - BioSpace - August 5th, 2021
- Dr. Flowers on Efforts to Improve Frontline Treatment in DLBCL - OncLive - August 5th, 2021
- Future Directions in the Treatment of Polycythemia Vera - OncLive - August 5th, 2021
- FDA Grants Priority Review to Genentech's Tecentriq as Adjuvant Treatment for Certain People With Early Non-small Cell Lung Cancer - Business Wire - August 5th, 2021
- Cellino Appoints Industry Pioneer Robert J. Palay to the Board - Business Wire - August 5th, 2021
- Tachyon and AbCellera Collaborate to Develop Novel Antibody Therapeutic Targeting TGF- Superfamily Member for the Treatment of Cancer - Yahoo Finance - August 5th, 2021
- Stemming the tide of stem-cell treatment scams - Houston Chronicle - July 22nd, 2021
- FDA gives speedy review to Bayer's Parkinson's stem cell therapy - - pharmaphorum - July 22nd, 2021
- John Theurer Cancer Center Investigators Participated in ZUMA-7 Study Showing Value of CAR T-Cell Therapy as Second-Line Treatment for Relapsed Large... - July 22nd, 2021
- Creative Medical Technology Holdings Announces MyeloCelz The Company's Second Regenerative Immunotherapy Product - PRNewswire - July 22nd, 2021
- Kadimastem Patent for cell selection of beta cells to Treat and Potentially Cure Diabetes was Granted in Japan - Yahoo Eurosport UK - July 22nd, 2021
- Bluebird, with little fanfare, is first to bring a second gene therapy to market - BioPharma Dive - July 22nd, 2021
- BlueRock Therapeutics Receives FDA Fast Track Designation for DA01 in the Treatment of Advanced Parkinson's Disease - Yahoo Finance - July 22nd, 2021
- ViaCyte Appoints Dr. Jon Wilensky as Head of Surgery - PRNewswire - July 22nd, 2021
- Emerging Quadruplets, Novel Targets, and Immunotherapy Advances Personalized Medicine in Multiple Myeloma - OncLive - July 22nd, 2021
- Beyond CAR-T: New Frontiers in Living Cell Therapies - UCSF News Services - July 7th, 2021
- Sleeper cells, cells of origin and hematopoietic stem cells - Brain Tumour Research - July 7th, 2021
- Marker Therapeutics Announces Completion of Safety Lead-In Portion of Phase 2 Study in Post-Transplant AML - PRNewswire - July 7th, 2021
- Researchers investigate whether stem cell therapy is safe and effective for treatment-resistant bipolar disease - Newswise - April 18th, 2021
- Stem Cell and Regenerative Therapy Market: Cell Therapy Segment to Dominate Global Market - BioSpace - April 18th, 2021
- First in the nation, FDA-approved Phase II mesenchymal stem cell therapy for Parkinson's disease begins - Newswise - April 18th, 2021
- Cellino Biotech developing tech to help scale stem cell therapies - MedCity News - April 18th, 2021
- Stem cell treatment needed to fight the good fight - Victoria Lookout - April 18th, 2021
- Being bionic: the future of regenerative medicine - Toronto Star - April 18th, 2021
- Treating chronic myeloid leukemia (CML): By phase and more - Medical News Today - April 18th, 2021
- Chemical conversion of human epidermal stem cells into intestinal goblet cells for modeling mucus-microbe interaction and therapy - Science Advances - April 18th, 2021
- Andres Isaias Combining Innovation and Excellence - Influencive - April 18th, 2021
- A Massive New Gene Editing Project Is Out to Crush Alzheimer's - Singularity Hub - April 18th, 2021
- Antibiotic Use Prior to Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplantation May Be Linked to Graft Vs Host Disease - Hematology Advisor - April 18th, 2021
- Mucopolysaccharidosis (MPS) Treatment Market Is Rising With Post COVID-19 Impact Analysis, Development, CAGR - Global Banking And Finance Review - April 18th, 2021
- The Recovery Room: News beyond the pandemic April 16 - Medical News Today - April 18th, 2021
- The Governments Watchful Eye on Fraud Stemming from Stem Cell Therapy - JD Supra - April 4th, 2021
- Uprooting Cancer: Innovative Hydrogel Rapidly Reverts Cancer Cells Back to Cancer Stem Cells - SciTechDaily - April 4th, 2021
- Multiple sclerosis: Recent research on causes and treatments - Medical News Today - April 4th, 2021
- First CAR T-Cell Therapy for Multiple Myeloma: Abecma - Medscape - April 4th, 2021
- Vitro Biopharma Retains Leading Health Care Executive as Acting Director of Regulatory Affairs & Director - Benzinga - April 4th, 2021
- Allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation for therapy-related myeloid neoplasms following treatment of a lymphoid malignancy - DocWire News - April 4th, 2021
- Orca-T Offers an Alternative to HSCT With Improved Patient Experience - OncLive - April 4th, 2021
- Russell Health Highlighted in the Silicon Review's '50 Leading Companies of the Year 2021' - PRNewswire - April 4th, 2021
- Gracell Biotechnologies Announces Enrollment of First Patient in Registrational Phase 1/2 Clinical Study for GC007g, an Allogeneic CAR-T Cell Therapy... - April 4th, 2021
- LGL Leukemia: Overview, Symptoms, and Treatment - Healthline - April 4th, 2021
- Funding the Next Generation of Cancer Therapies - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - April 4th, 2021
- RenovaCare Announces Organizational Changes and Appointment of New Officers - GlobeNewswire - April 4th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market expected to reach USD 16.51 Billion by 2025 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - March 8th, 2021
- Creative Medical Technology Holdings Publishes Efficacy in Pain Reduction and Mobility in Patients with Disc Degenerative Disc Using StemSpine... - March 8th, 2021
- New Controversy for Stem Cell Therapy That Repairs Spinal Cords - The Great Courses Daily News - March 8th, 2021
- Cell Therapy for Cartilage Regeneration Gets a Boost With Hyaluronic Acid Enriched Chondrocytes in a 3D Tissue Engineering Platform - Business Wire - March 8th, 2021
- Scar-Forming Cells Switch to Producing New Neurons that Promote Functional Recovery in Mice after Spinal Cord Injury - Genetic Engineering &... - March 8th, 2021
- Moderna Hires Harvard Stem Cell Researcher Jonathan Hoggatt as Director of Hematology: What You Need to Know - Yahoo Finance - March 8th, 2021
- Stem Cell Banking Market Report 2021 | Growth and Opportunities Analysis - BioSpace - February 19th, 2021
- Global Cell Therapy Biomanufacturing Market (2020 to 2025) - Featuring Lonza Group, Merck & Novartis Among Others - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - February 19th, 2021
- Off-the-Shelf NK Immunotherapy Is Safe and Promising in B-Cell NHL With Chemotherapy and Transplant - Targeted Oncology - February 17th, 2021
- Braunschweig Makes the Case for Earlier Use of CAR T-Cell Therapy in DLBCL - OncLive - February 17th, 2021
- Creative Medical Technology Holdings Files Patent on Prevention of Organ Transplant Rejection using ImmCelz - PRNewswire - February 17th, 2021
- Lineage to Host Virtual OPC1 Investor & Analyst Day on February 22, 2021 - Business Wire - February 17th, 2021
- Novartis, Gates Foundation pursue a simpler gene therapy for sickle cell - STAT - February 17th, 2021
- CRISPR Therapeutics Provides Business Update and Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2020 Financial Results - GlobeNewswire - February 17th, 2021
- Equillium Presents Positive Interim Clinical Data of Itolizumab in First-line Treatment of Acute Graft-Versus-Host Disease at the 2021 Transplantation... - February 14th, 2021
- Zebrafish reveal regenerative protein that could inspire new treatments for muscle-wasting diseases and aging - FierceBiotech - February 11th, 2021
- Stem cell study illuminates the cause of an inherited heart disorder | Penn Today - Penn Today - February 11th, 2021
- Neurons from patient blood cells enable researchers to test treatments for genetic brain disease - Brown University - February 11th, 2021
- Therapeutic Solutions International Acquires Stem Cell Therapy That Successfully Completed FDA Double Blind Placebo Controlled Efficacy Study for Lung... - February 11th, 2021