WASHINGTON & HACKENSACK, N.J.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--MedStar Georgetown University Hospital in Washington, D.C. in collaboration with John Theurer Cancer Center, part ofHackensack Meridian Health, Hackensack University Medical Center in Hackensack, N.J., announce the 100th blood stem cell transplant performed since the BMT programs first patient was treated in September, 2013.
The patient, a woman from Arlington, Virginia, received her blood stem cell transplant at MedStar Georgetown as a treatment for multiple myeloma diagnosed in December 2016.
The BMT program at MedStar Georgetown is a joint effort with specialists from Hackensack John Theurer Cancer Center and a key component of the Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center, the only cancer program in the Washington, D.C. region designated by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) as a comprehensive cancer center.
Once considered experimental, BMT is todays established gold standard for treating patients with a number of malignant and other non-malignant diseases of the immune system, blood, and bone marrow, including multiple myeloma, lymphoma, and acute and chronic leukemia. For some conditions, blood stem cell transplant can provide a cure in patients who have failed conventional therapies, says Scott Rowley, MD, chief of the BMT program at MedStar Georgetown as well as a member of the John Theurer Cancer Centers Blood and Marrow Stem Cell Transplantation. For some conditions, it can actually be a cure; for others, it prolongs survival and improves quality of life. Having performed 100 BMTs at MedStar Georgetown including allogenic transplantation illustrates the strength and maturity of our program achieved in rather short time.
MedStar Georgetowns program is also the only comprehensive BMT center within Washington, D.C. and southern Maryland with accreditation from the Foundation for the Accreditation of Cellular Therapy (FACT) for adult autologous procedures, where the patient donates his or her own cells.
The BMT program at JTCC is one of the top 10 transplant programs in the United States, with more than 400 transplants performed annually.
A BMT involves a two-step process: first, collecting bone marrow stem cells from the patient and storing them for future use. Then, a week or so later, patients receive high dose chemotherapy to eliminate their disease. The previously stored cells are reinfused back into the bloodstream, where after reaching the bone marrow, they begin repopulating and allow the patient to recover their blood counts over the following 2 weeks.
Even though BMT is considered standard therapy for myeloma worldwide, in the United States fewer than 50 percent of the patients who could benefit from BMT are referred for evaluation, says David H. Vesole, MD, PhD, Co- Chief and Director of Research of John Theurer Cancer Centers Multiple Myeloma division and director of MedStar Georgetowns Multiple Myeloma Program.
Thats mostly due to physicians concerns that a patient is too old or compromised from other health conditions like diabetes, cardiac disease or renal failure. But new techniques and better supportive care have improved both patient outcomes and the entire transplant process, extending BMT to more patients than ever before.
The MedStar Georgetown/Georgetown Lombardi Blood and Marrow Stem Cell Transplant Program is part of a collaborative cancer research agenda and multi-year plan to form an NCI-recognized cancer consortium. This recognition would support the scientific excellence of the two centers and highlight their capability to integrate multi-disciplinary, collaborative research approaches to focus on all the aspects of cancer.
The research areas include expansion of clinical bone marrow transplant research; clinical study of haplo transplants use of half-matched stem cell donor cells; re-engineering the function and focus of key immune cells; and the investigation of immune checkpoint blocking antibodies that unleash a sustained immune response against cancer cells.
In this partnership, weve combined John Theurers strength in clinical care with Georgetown Lombardis strong research base that significantly contributes to clinical excellence at MedStar Georgetown. By working together, we have broadened our cancer research to offer more effective treatment options for tomorrows patients, says Andrew Pecora, MD, FACP, CPE, president of the Physician Enterprise and chief innovations officer, Hackensack Meridian Health. This is one of many clinical and research areas that have been enhanced by this affiliation.
Our teams are pursuing specific joint research projects we feel are of the utmost importance and significance in oncology particularly around immuno-oncology as well as precision medicine, says Andr Goy, MD, MS, chairman of the John Theurer Cancer Center and director of the division chief of Lymphoma; chief science officer and director of Research and Innovation, RCCA; professor of medicine, Georgetown University. Together our institutions have a tremendous opportunity to transform the delivery of cancer care for our patient populations and beyond.
ABOUT THE JOHN THEURER CANCER CENTER AT HACKENSACK UNIVERSITY MEDICAL CENTER
John Theurer Cancer Center at Hackensack University Medical Center is New Jerseys largest and most comprehensive center dedicated to the diagnosis, treatment, management, research, screenings, and preventive care as well as survivorship of patients with all types of cancers. The 14 specialized divisions covering the complete spectrum of cancer care have developed a close-knit team of medical, research, nursing, and support staff with specialized expertise that translates into more advanced, focused care for all patients. Each year, more people in the New Jersey/New York metropolitan area turn to the John Theurer Cancer Center for cancer care than to any other facility in New Jersey. Housed within a 775-bed not-for-profit teaching, tertiary care, and research hospital, the John Theurer Cancer Center provides state-of-the-art technological advances, compassionate care, research innovations, medical expertise, and a full range of aftercare services that distinguish the John Theurer Cancer Center from other facilities.www.jtcancercenter.org.
MedStar Georgetown University Hospital is a not-for-profit, acute-care teaching and research hospital with 609 beds located in Northwest Washington, D.C. Founded in the Jesuit principle of cura personaliscaring for the whole personMedStar Georgetown is committed to offering a variety of innovative diagnostic and treatment options within a trusting and compassionate environment.
MedStar Georgetowns centers of excellence include neurosciences, transplant, cancer and gastroenterology. Along with Magnet nurses, internationally recognized physicians, advanced research and cutting-edge technologies, MedStar Georgetowns healthcare professionals have a reputation for medical excellence and leadership.
For more information please visit: medstargeorgetown.org/bmsct
About Hackensack Meridian Health Hackensack University Medical Center
Hackensack Meridian Health Hackensack University Medical Center, a 775-bed nonprofit teaching and research hospital located in Bergen County, NJ, is the largest provider of inpatient and outpatient services in the state. Founded in 1888 as the countys first hospital, it is now part of one of the largest networks in the state comprised of 28,000 team members and more than 6,000 physicians. Hackensack University Medical Center was listed as the number one hospital in New Jersey in U.S. News & World Reports 2016-17 Best Hospital rankings - maintaining its place atop the NJ rankings since the rating system was introduced. It was also named one of the top four New York Metro Area hospitals. Hackensack University Medical Center is one of only five major academic medical centers in the nation to receive Healthgrades Americas 50 Best Hospitals Award for five or more years in a row. Beckers Hospital Review recognized Hackensack University Medical Center as one of the 100 Great Hospitals in America 2017. The medical center is one of the top 25 green hospitals in the country according to Practice Greenhealth, and received 25 Gold Seals of Approval by The Joint Commission more than any other hospital in the country. It was the first hospital in New Jersey and second in the nation to become a Magnet recognized hospital for nursing excellence; receiving its fifth consecutive designation in 2014. Hackensack University Medical Center has created an entire campus of award-winning care, including: the John Theurer Cancer Center; the Heart & Vascular Hospital; and the Sarkis and Siran Gabrellian Womens and Childrens Pavilion, which houses the Joseph M. Sanzari Childrens Hospital and Donna A. Sanzari Womens Hospital, which was designed with The Deirdre Imus Environmental Health Center and listed on the Green Guides list of Top 10 Green Hospitals in the U.S. Hackensack University Medical Center is the Hometown Hospital of the New York Giants and the New York Red Bulls and is Official Medical Services Provider to The Northern Trust PGA Golf Tournament. It remains committed to its community through fundraising and community events especially the Tackle Kids Cancer Campaign providing much needed research at the Childrens Cancer Institute housed at the Joseph M. Sanzari Childrens Hospital. To learn more, visit http://www.HackensackUMC.org.
- Novel Cell Sorting and Separation Markets, 2030 - Yahoo Finance - October 7th, 2019
- Platelet BioGenesis Receives Contract Worth Up to $56 Million from the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA) to Develop Human... - October 7th, 2019
- Researchers identify molecular process that could accelerate recovery from nerve injuries - UCLA Newsroom - October 7th, 2019
- A Therapeutic Counterblow to Traumatic Brain Injury - Technology Networks - October 7th, 2019
- American Cancer Society research breakfast highlights Colorado innovations changing the face of cancer care - The Know - October 7th, 2019
- UW Medicine receives $50 million donation to start brain institute - Lewiston Morning Tribune - October 5th, 2019
- UW Medicine receives $50 million donation to start institute to study addiction, Alzheimer's and more - The Daily World - October 5th, 2019
- American CryoStem Expands Investigator Team with Sub-Investigators for Post Concussive Syndrome IND - Yahoo Finance - October 5th, 2019
- UW Medicine receives $50 million donation to start brain institute that will study addiction, Alzheimers and other brain disorders - Seattle Times - October 3rd, 2019
- Tenaya Therapeutics bags $92M to develop triple threat for heart disease - FierceBiotech - October 3rd, 2019
- Opinion: Primate research is cruel, expensive, unnecessary and happening here - OregonLive.com - October 3rd, 2019
- Giving a Speed Boost to Nerve Regrowth - Technology Networks - October 3rd, 2019
- Walking in His Shoes - Curetoday.com - October 3rd, 2019
- Into the Future With CAR-T Cell Therapy - Curetoday.com - October 3rd, 2019
- American CryoStem Expands Investigator Team with Sub-Investigators for Post Concussive Syndrome IND - GuruFocus.com - October 3rd, 2019
- Oncternal Therapeutics Announces Opening of Phase 1b Expansion Cohort of Clinical Trial of Cirmtuzumab in Combination with Ibrutinib in Patients with... - October 3rd, 2019
- Skin-Cells-Turned-to-Heart-Cells Help Unravel Genetic Underpinnings of Cardiac Function - UC San Diego Health - October 1st, 2019
- AIVITA Biomedical to Present at Meeting on the Mesa and Other Investor, Oncology and Regenerative Medicine Conferences in October - PRNewswire - October 1st, 2019
- 3 Houston innovators to know this week - InnovationMap - October 1st, 2019
- Cord Stem Cell banking Market is Growing at a CAGR of 22.4% by Market Share and Growth with Top Key Players: National Cord Blood Program, Vita 34,... - September 24th, 2019
- How Cells Maintain Their Identity - Technology Networks - September 24th, 2019
- Mayo Clinic Q&A: Bone marrow transplants save lives more donors are needed - TribLIVE - September 24th, 2019
- After 'Hail Mary,' Leukemia Patient is in Remission With Help of Donor - Dana-Farber Cancer Institute - September 24th, 2019
- September Is Pediatric Cancer Awareness Month - Newswise - September 24th, 2019
- Guest view: Editors untimely death shines light on rare, incurable disease amyloidosis - Stockton Record - September 24th, 2019
- Steve Hunt's untimely death shines light on rare, incurable disease - VVdailypress.com - September 24th, 2019
- How to Get the Most from Stem Cell Therapy - Medical Center - September 16th, 2019
- Stem Cell Rejuvenation Center > About Us - September 16th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy Atlanta Home - Southern Stem Cell Institute - May 21st, 2019
- Dr. Bermans's Stem Cell Therapy - Mark Berman MD - May 17th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy | Lighthouse Medical Center ... - April 25th, 2019
- Braselton Georgia Stem Cell Therapy - Revive Medical Center - April 25th, 2019
- The Spine Center: Stem Cell | Charles Theofilis, M.D. - March 9th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy in Dallas, TX | National Stem Cell Centers - March 6th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy in Dallas, TX - atlasmedicalcenter.com - March 1st, 2019
- Innovative Medical Center: Stem Cell Clinic, Chiropractic ... - February 20th, 2019
- Stem Cells - The Hastings Center - January 29th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy Specialist - Columbia, MO: Renova ... - January 4th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy Kennewick Medical Center - December 29th, 2018
- Umbilical Stem Cell Hino Medical Center - December 7th, 2018
- Stem Cells Doctors at StemCells21 Medical Center | Adult ... - November 13th, 2018
- Stem Cell Therapy - Fresno, CA: Innovative Medical Center - November 8th, 2018
- Oregon Regenerative Stem Cell Medical Center: Regenerative ... - October 7th, 2018
- Stem Cell Therapy - Genesis Medical Center - October 3rd, 2018
- Stem Cell Therapy in Dallas, TX | Atlas Medical Center - September 6th, 2018
- Stem Cell Research Hino Medical Center - August 20th, 2018
- Stem Cell Therapy - Revive Medical Center - July 27th, 2018
- Stem Cell Medical Centers - Global Stemcell Therapy - July 25th, 2018
- Atlas Medical Center Provides Stem Cell Therapy for Knee ... - July 25th, 2018
- Stem Cell Therapy - Cendant Stem Cell Center - Denver ... - July 22nd, 2018
- Regenexx Overview - Health Link Medical Center - July 14th, 2018
- Stem Cell Therapy in Mexico - Official Treatment Center - July 11th, 2018
- Stem Cells Medical Center - StemCells21 in Bangkok - July 7th, 2018
- Regenerative Stem Cell Therapy Specialist - Zanesville, OH ... - July 7th, 2018
- Stem Cell Therapy And Regenerative Medicine : Midwest ... - July 5th, 2018
- Del Prado Stem Cell Center - Tijuana - July 4th, 2018
- Stem Cell Therapy | Life Health Medical Center | Salt Lake ... - July 1st, 2018
- Stem Cell Center Of NJ - New Jersey Stem Cell Therapy - October 6th, 2017
- Stem Cell Transplants | MD Anderson Cancer Center - September 24th, 2017
- Northern California Stem Cell Treatment Center in Redding, CA - September 22nd, 2017
- Researchers Hope Zika Virus Can Treat Deadly Brain Cancer - Healthline - September 8th, 2017
- 'Nanotransfection' Turns Animal Skin into Blood Vessels and Brain Cells - Medical Device and Diagnostics Industry - September 8th, 2017
- Dr. Pawel Muranski to Head New Cellular Immunotherapy Laboratory at NewYork-Presbyterian/Columbia University ... - Newswise (press release) - August 31st, 2017
- FDA announces first US gene therapy approval for cancer treatment - CNN - August 31st, 2017
- 'Reprogrammed' Stem Cells Fight Parkinson's Disease in Monkeys - Voice of America - August 31st, 2017
- CSL Behring pays $91M upfront for early stage gene therapy - BioPharma Dive - August 30th, 2017
- Frawley, Mindell/Brody, Calkins Awards Recognize 5 for Excellence - UB School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences News - August 30th, 2017
- FDA Cracks Down on 'Unscrupulous' Stem Cell Clinics - New York Times - August 29th, 2017
- Creative Medical Technology Holdings Achieves 100% Patient ... - Markets Insider - August 29th, 2017
- BACK IN ACTION: Stem Cell Knee Procedure Gets Middle Aged Athlete Back On Slopes, Court - SpaceCoastDaily.com - August 28th, 2017
- Bait and Switch - Stem Cell Treatments and Insurance ... - August 28th, 2017
- 2 patients contract Legionnaires' Disease at UW Medical Center - KING5.com - August 28th, 2017
- Twin Falls multiple sclerosis patients are traveling to get new treatment - Coeur d'Alene Press - August 28th, 2017
- As Blumen fights cancer, city creates awareness on stem cell donation - Times of India - August 27th, 2017
- Mayo, U develop 'robocop' stem cells to fight cancer - StarTribune.com - Minneapolis Star Tribune - August 20th, 2017
- Scientists Discover New Hair Growth Technique Using Stem Cells - TrendinTech - August 20th, 2017
- Could Newborn Heart Stem Cells Jump-Start Old Hearts? - Sioux City Journal - August 20th, 2017
- Linking seizures, heart health and sleeping sickness to bacteria and shape-shifting parasites in the mouth and gut - UB News Center - August 17th, 2017
- Vitamin C may encourage blood cancer stem cells to die - Medical Xpress - August 17th, 2017
- Young Patient With Autism Improves After Stem Cell Therapy Program - Digital Journal - August 17th, 2017