An early clinical trial participant likens his journey into the unknown to a space mission.
For my wife and me, part of that involved the decision to discuss starting a family. After all, my father, my uncle and I were the only men in our small family it was left to me to keep our name going.
Of course, it wasnt ideal timing for starting a family. It was eight years after losing my father, and I was facing liver failure, kidney failure, a feeding tube strapped to my face and significant weight loss 55 pounds, to be exact. I was in immense pain, both physical and emotional, and felt anything but myself.
Just before I received my first treatment of chemotherapy R-CHOP, short for Rituxan (rituximab), cyclophosphamide, Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Oncovin (vincristine) and prednisone my doctors asked if my wife and I planned to ever have a family of our own. If so, we would need to bank some sperm immediately. Considering my physical condition at the time, I was in no mood to fulfill this obligation to secure a future with children in it. Dont misunderstand me I wanted nothing more than to have a family with my wife but in that moment, I didnt think it would be possible. I thought I was dying.
With just minutes to spare, due to the distanceof the fertility clinic from where I was in the city, we took a chance on having a future. I couldnt have done any of this without the unconditional support of my wife, Rachel, who carried us both when I was unable to stand on my own.
Later that night, I received my first chemotherapy treatment. Three hours into it we got the call from our fertility doctor, telling us that she could definitely get us pregnant. I never cry, but Idid then. The cancer and the looming possibility of death didnt exist in the moment that we learned we still might have a chance to become parents. It was exactly what we needed to hear to get through that tough first night of chemo.
The journey wasnt easy. I endured two years of treatments that included chemotherapy, immunotherapy, autologous stem cell transplant, more chemotherapy and various medical trials that I kept failing. Through it all, I adopted the mindset of an astronaut. Like an astronaut, I had an obligation to my fellow man to discover the unknown in hopes of finding something that would save not just my life but also the lives of the patients after me. Like an astronaut, I didnt know if being launched would makeme a spectacle of fireworks or perhaps get me to my destination with no way to return. Or would I have the rare opportunity to complete my mission and get home safely, delivering something that would drive us all forward to a better life?
Thats the mission I set for myself during my treatment. It was a job, one I took passionately and wanted nothing more than to do well so that, as a result, all who followed would have a better chance at life. This was especially true becauseI was the fifth person in the world to be treated with chimeric antigen receptor-T cell therapy, more commonly referred to as CAR-T cell therapy. I was part of the JCAR017 clinical trial.
In the months leading up to the trial, not knowing what my fate would be, my wife and I decided to live for today and take the next steps toward becoming parents. I didnt truly think I would ever see the birth of my child. That was a very sad thought, but this was bigger than me; I was leaving a piece of me behind for my wife.Thankfully, the CAR-T cell therapy was a success and got me into remission. Shortly after that, my wife and I welcomed our daughter, Julia, into the world.
People always wonder, How should I interact with someone I care about who has cancer?
I think the answers easy: Give them a future. Give them something to look forward to. Plan things with them, because we all need a future to survive.
- 'Natural Killer Cells' and Other Promising Cancer Treatments - Barron's - April 18th, 2021
- Capturing the Pandemic Experience in Haiku Poetry - Duke Today - April 18th, 2021
- Chemotherapy for Prostate Cancer: When It's Used and What to Expect - Healthline - April 18th, 2021
- Signs that Chemo Is Working: How Effectiveness Is Measured and Defined - Healthline - April 18th, 2021
- Some experts fear next-generation Covid vaccines may be worse - STAT - April 18th, 2021
- How Long is Chemotherapy? What to Expect - Healthline - April 18th, 2021
- Regenerative Medicine - Stem Cell Therapy Little Rock - March 8th, 2021
- Center for Stem Cell Biology & Regenerative Medicine ... - March 8th, 2021
- Dynamic Stem Cell Therapy Offers Regenerative Medicine - Las Vegas Review-Journal - March 8th, 2021
- Anti-EGFR VHH-armed death receptor ligandengineered allogeneic stem cells have therapeutic efficacy in diverse brain metastatic breast cancers -... - March 8th, 2021
- Research Antibodies Market Size to Reach USD 5325.8 Million by 2027 | Increasing R&D Activities in the Fields of Oncology, Neurobiology, and Stem... - March 8th, 2021
- Microwave Processing Isolates Red Ginseng Compounds That Suppress Lung Cancer Metastasis - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - March 8th, 2021
- Longeveron Expands Enrollment Criteria for its Phase 1 RECOVER Trial Evaluating Lomecel-B Infusion to Treat Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome due to... - March 8th, 2021
- Be The Match BioTherapies Announces Expansion of Multi-Year Strategic Alliance with Orchard Therapeutics to Support European Commercial Launch of... - March 8th, 2021
- Autologous Stem Cell and Non-Stem Cell Based Therapies Market 2021: Focuses at the key worldwide companies to Define, Describe and Analyses the sales... - March 8th, 2021
- Editing Reproduction: CRISPR and preventing heritable diseases, With Dr. Dietrich Egli and Dr. Sam Sternberg - Columbia University Irving Medical... - March 8th, 2021
- U. Cancer Center pilot projects: investigating cancer connections - The Brown Daily Herald - March 8th, 2021
- COVID-19 can kill heart muscle cells, interfere with contraction Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis - Washington University School... - March 8th, 2021
- Vaccinating by age groups is unfair, particularly to minorities, advisory panel tells CDC - USA TODAY - March 8th, 2021
- Winter Weather Impacting Blood and Platelet Donations - Milwaukee Community Journal - February 17th, 2021
- Joshua Shirk continues to fight the odds; mom says God placed people where they needed to be to help him - Keyser Mineral Daily News Tribune - February 17th, 2021
- Evotec and Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf Enter Partnership to Develop iPSC-Based Tissue Therapy for Heart Failure - GuruFocus.com - February 7th, 2021
- ProgenCell - Stem Cell Therapies offers an updated Stem Cell Therapy for Anti Aging Protocol - PR Web - January 30th, 2021
- Doctors urge immunocompromised to get COVID vaccine when it becomes available - KMTV - 3 News Now - January 30th, 2021
- Autologous Stem Cell and Non Stem Based therapies Market Share, Size 2021 Global Industry Future Trends, Growth, Strategies,, Segmentation, In-depth... - January 30th, 2021
- Studies Indicating T-Cells May Be Needed For Long-Term Protection From The SARS-Cov-2 Virus - PRNewswire - January 30th, 2021
- Researchers use patients' cells to test gene therapy for rare eye disease - National Institutes of Health - January 30th, 2021
- Two Gene Therapies Fix Fault in Sickle Cell Disease and -thalassemia - MD Magazine - January 30th, 2021
- If I Have Cancer, Dementia or MS, Should I Get the Covid Vaccine? - Kaiser Health News - January 30th, 2021
- L-MIND Trial Results Show CD19 Antibody Is Reasonable in R/R DLBCL - Targeted Oncology - January 30th, 2021
- Profile of T Cells, Broadly Neutralizing Antibodies, Anti-Viral Targets: COVID-19 Updates - Bio-IT World - January 30th, 2021
- HealthLynked's The Future of Healthcare Summit Brings Healthcare Experts and Technology Innovators from Around the World to Naples, Florida - WFMZ... - January 30th, 2021
- Tevogen Bio Secures Funding from Team of Doctors to Support Clinical Trials of Its Investigational Curative T Cell Therapy for COVID-19 - PRNewswire - January 25th, 2021
- Novel Treatment Leads to Dog's Recovery - The Bark - January 25th, 2021
- Identification and Targeting of ThomsenFriedenreich and IL1RAP | OTT - Dove Medical Press - January 25th, 2021
- Regenerative Medicine Market Size Worth $74831.35 Million With CAGR of 22.27% By 2024 | Segmented by Product Type, Top Manufacturers, By End-User... - January 25th, 2021
- Immunotherapy Inches Forward in Development of Myeloid Malignancies - OncLive - January 14th, 2021
- Cytovia Therapeutics Partners with National Cancer Institute to Develop Novel Gene-Edited, iPSC-Derived GPC3 CAR NK Cells for the Treatment of Solid... - January 14th, 2021
- Kaleido Biosciences Announces Positive Interim Results of Controlled Study of KB109 in Patients with Mild-to-Moderate COVID-19 - BioSpace - January 14th, 2021
- Doctors Make Medical Breakthrough In Treating Severe Cases Of COVID - CBS San Francisco - January 9th, 2021
- Mana joins the hectic fight against solid tumors with an 'off-the-shelf' candidate angling for an IND this year - Endpoints News - January 9th, 2021
- Versiti Blood Centers and Noodles & Company Serve Up Thanks to Blood Donors - PRNewswire - December 31st, 2020
- Global CAR-T Pipeline Insight Report 2020: Overview, Landscape, Therapeutic Assessment, Current Treatment Scenario and Emerging Therapies -... - December 31st, 2020
- 2020 health care year in review - Crain's Cleveland Business - December 31st, 2020
- The Top 10 FDA Oncology Drug Approvals of 2020 - Curetoday.com - December 31st, 2020
- Gut microbiota: How does it interact with the brain? - Medical News Today - December 31st, 2020
- Numerous Indian American STEM Researchers Named Fellows of American Association for the Advancement of Sciences - India West - December 31st, 2020
- Four years after devastating spinal injury, former St. Paul's football player reunites with caregivers - NOLA.com - December 24th, 2020
- New Combination Therapy Tested By Children's May Offer Hope For Leukemia Patients - WVXU - December 24th, 2020
- Real-time observation helpful in Stem cell for vascular diseases: Study - Hindustan Times - December 21st, 2020
- NurOwn May Be Given to Early ALS Patients in US Who Finished Phase... - ALS News Today - December 21st, 2020
- Follow the Money: Spatial Omics, CAR-NK Cells, AI-Powered Biology - Bio-IT World - December 21st, 2020
- Explained: Process of transporting stem cell from donor to patient for a successful transplant - Firstpost - December 18th, 2020
- Research That Saves Lives: Four COVID-19 Therapies Being Tested at UVA - University of Virginia - December 18th, 2020
- Even if You've Had COVID-19 You Still Need the Vaccine - Healthline - December 18th, 2020
- What Patients With Cancer, Survivors Need to Know About the Emergency Use Authorization of COVID-19 Vaccine - Curetoday.com - December 16th, 2020
- 2020 at the U: The year in review - University of Miami - December 16th, 2020
- Five Mobile County hospitals to get Pfizer vaccine this week - AL.com - December 16th, 2020
- Donor Stem Cell Transplant Improves Survival in Older Patients with Myelodysplastic Syndrome - Cancer Health Treatment News - December 10th, 2020
- Positive Phase 2 Proof-of-Concept Data for Viralym-M and Burden of Disease Data Presented in Oral Presentations at the 62nd American Society of... - December 10th, 2020
- Dr. Kansagra: Quadruplet Therapy for Newly Diagnosed Multiple Myeloma and Combination CAR T-Cell Opportunities - DocWire News - December 10th, 2020
- Silicon Therapeutics Announces Members of Scientific Advisory Board - Business Wire - December 10th, 2020
- Israeli Neurogenesis' NG-01 slows progressive MS by up to 90% in phase II study - BioWorld Online - December 10th, 2020
- ADC Therapeutics Announces Updated Clinical Data on Lead Antibody Drug Conjugate Programs Loncastuximab Tesirine (Lonca) and Camidanlumab Tesirine... - December 10th, 2020
- Magenta Therapeutics Announces Commencement of First Phase 2 Clinical Trial of MGTA-145 for Stem Cell Mobilization, Oral Presentation of MGTA-145... - December 8th, 2020
- Precigen Presents New Data Supporting the Safety, Clinical Activity, Expansion and Persistence of PRGN-3006 UltraCAR-T at the 62nd ASH Annual Meeting... - December 8th, 2020
- ALLO-715, Off-the-Shelf CAR T-Cell Therapy, Produces Early Promise in Multiple Myeloma - Cancer Network - December 8th, 2020
- Rocket Pharmaceuticals Presents Positive Clinical Data from its Fanconi Anemia and Leukocyte Adhesion Deficiency-I Programs at the 62nd American... - December 8th, 2020
- Negrin Shines Light on the Orca-T Story in GVHD - OncLive - December 8th, 2020
- Preliminary Results from NexImmune's Phase 1/2 Trial of NEXI-001 in AML Presented at 62nd ASH Annual Meeting and Exposition - GlobeNewswire - December 8th, 2020
- BeiGene Announces the Approval in China of BLINCYTO (Blinatumomab) for Injection for Adult Patients with Relapsed or Refractory B-Cell Precursor Acute... - December 8th, 2020
- Sutro Biopharma Presents Data from Ongoing Phase 1 Dose-Escalation Study for STRO-001 for the Treatment of B-cell Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma at the 62nd... - December 8th, 2020
- Data from the ANDROMEDA Study Show Hematologic Response for DARZALEX FASPRO (daratumumab and hyaluronidase-fihj) in Newly Diagnosed Light Chain (AL)... - December 8th, 2020
- US FDA Approves Naxitamab for the Treatment of Neuroblastoma - OncoZine - November 29th, 2020
- Coronavirus treatments and vaccines. Here are the latest developments - San Francisco Chronicle - November 29th, 2020
- Dr Apar Kishor Ganti Outlines the Effectiveness of Lurbinectedin and Benefits Over Competition - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - November 26th, 2020
- Commonly used antibiotic shows promise for combating Zika infections - National Institutes of Health - November 26th, 2020
- A real life Superman celebrates 5 years of survival from one of the deadliest cancers - Newswise - November 26th, 2020
- Global Cell Harvesting Market to Reach US$381,4 Million by the Year 2027 - Salamanca Press - November 26th, 2020
- Tanya Siddiqi, MD, Discusses the Promise of Reduced Toxicity With Liso-Cel - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - November 26th, 2020