An early clinical trial participant likens his journey into the unknown to a space mission.
For my wife and me, part of that involved the decision to discuss starting a family. After all, my father, my uncle and I were the only men in our small family it was left to me to keep our name going.
Of course, it wasnt ideal timing for starting a family. It was eight years after losing my father, and I was facing liver failure, kidney failure, a feeding tube strapped to my face and significant weight loss 55 pounds, to be exact. I was in immense pain, both physical and emotional, and felt anything but myself.
Just before I received my first treatment of chemotherapy R-CHOP, short for Rituxan (rituximab), cyclophosphamide, Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Oncovin (vincristine) and prednisone my doctors asked if my wife and I planned to ever have a family of our own. If so, we would need to bank some sperm immediately. Considering my physical condition at the time, I was in no mood to fulfill this obligation to secure a future with children in it. Dont misunderstand me I wanted nothing more than to have a family with my wife but in that moment, I didnt think it would be possible. I thought I was dying.
With just minutes to spare, due to the distanceof the fertility clinic from where I was in the city, we took a chance on having a future. I couldnt have done any of this without the unconditional support of my wife, Rachel, who carried us both when I was unable to stand on my own.
Later that night, I received my first chemotherapy treatment. Three hours into it we got the call from our fertility doctor, telling us that she could definitely get us pregnant. I never cry, but Idid then. The cancer and the looming possibility of death didnt exist in the moment that we learned we still might have a chance to become parents. It was exactly what we needed to hear to get through that tough first night of chemo.
The journey wasnt easy. I endured two years of treatments that included chemotherapy, immunotherapy, autologous stem cell transplant, more chemotherapy and various medical trials that I kept failing. Through it all, I adopted the mindset of an astronaut. Like an astronaut, I had an obligation to my fellow man to discover the unknown in hopes of finding something that would save not just my life but also the lives of the patients after me. Like an astronaut, I didnt know if being launched would makeme a spectacle of fireworks or perhaps get me to my destination with no way to return. Or would I have the rare opportunity to complete my mission and get home safely, delivering something that would drive us all forward to a better life?
Thats the mission I set for myself during my treatment. It was a job, one I took passionately and wanted nothing more than to do well so that, as a result, all who followed would have a better chance at life. This was especially true becauseI was the fifth person in the world to be treated with chimeric antigen receptor-T cell therapy, more commonly referred to as CAR-T cell therapy. I was part of the JCAR017 clinical trial.
In the months leading up to the trial, not knowing what my fate would be, my wife and I decided to live for today and take the next steps toward becoming parents. I didnt truly think I would ever see the birth of my child. That was a very sad thought, but this was bigger than me; I was leaving a piece of me behind for my wife.Thankfully, the CAR-T cell therapy was a success and got me into remission. Shortly after that, my wife and I welcomed our daughter, Julia, into the world.
People always wonder, How should I interact with someone I care about who has cancer?
I think the answers easy: Give them a future. Give them something to look forward to. Plan things with them, because we all need a future to survive.
- US FDA Approves Naxitamab for the Treatment of Neuroblastoma - OncoZine - November 29th, 2020
- Coronavirus treatments and vaccines. Here are the latest developments - San Francisco Chronicle - November 29th, 2020
- Dr Apar Kishor Ganti Outlines the Effectiveness of Lurbinectedin and Benefits Over Competition - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - November 26th, 2020
- Commonly used antibiotic shows promise for combating Zika infections - National Institutes of Health - November 26th, 2020
- A real life Superman celebrates 5 years of survival from one of the deadliest cancers - Newswise - November 26th, 2020
- Global Cell Harvesting Market to Reach US$381,4 Million by the Year 2027 - Salamanca Press - November 26th, 2020
- Tanya Siddiqi, MD, Discusses the Promise of Reduced Toxicity With Liso-Cel - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - November 26th, 2020
- Tetracycline-based Antibiotics Show Promise for Combating Zika Infections - Global Biodefense - November 26th, 2020
- Study Suggests AYAs Treated for AML Have High Risk of Developing Long-Term Complications - Cancer Network - November 26th, 2020
- Mustang Bio Announces Positive Opinion from the European Medicines Agency on Orphan Drug Designation for Its Lentiviral Gene Therapy for the Treatment... - November 26th, 2020
- Study Finds Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Treatment of AL Amyloidosis - DocWire News - November 22nd, 2020
- New Virtual Reality Tool, Domestic Cats are SARS-CoV-2 Carriers, Combination Therapy Advances: COVID-19 Updates - Bio-IT World - November 22nd, 2020
- SEE | Smoking worsens Covid-19 infection in the airways, new study reveals - Health24 - November 22nd, 2020
- Could Cell Therapy Be The Answer To COVID-19? - CBS Boston - November 3rd, 2020
- CA Prop 14 Explained: What To Know Before You Vote Election Day - Los Angeles, CA Patch - November 3rd, 2020
- GMP Cell Banking Services Market Predicted to Accelerate the Growth by 2019-2029 - TechnoWeekly - November 3rd, 2020
- Making Progress Against Relapsed/ Refractory DLBCL Without CAR T - OncLive - November 3rd, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics to Host Virtual R&D Investor Event on Friday, November 13, 2020 - GlobeNewswire - November 3rd, 2020
- Editorial Article: Combating cancer: The incubation technology accelerating CAR-T cell therapy development - SelectScience - October 31st, 2020
- Richters Transformation: When a Slow-Growing Cancer Turns Aggressive - SurvivorNet - October 31st, 2020
- Detroit Pistons, Make-A-Wish put a smile on the face of Commerce Township boy - The Oakland Press - October 31st, 2020
- NexImmune Establishes Research Initiative with City of Hope to Focus on Novel Immunotherapeutic Approaches to Acute Myeloid Leukemia - Yahoo Finance - October 31st, 2020
- HBS and Harvard's Department of Stem Cell and Regenerative Biology Receive $25 Million Gift from The Chris and Carrie Shumway Foundation to Support... - October 23rd, 2020
- Harnessing regeneration of retinal tissues: An option almost within reach - Ophthalmology Times - October 23rd, 2020
- Fate Therapeutics' and Celyad's CAR therapies in oncology offer potential - pharmaceutical-technology.com - October 23rd, 2020
- World Wide Stem Cell Treatment Centers Provides Exceptional Regenerative Treatment Options To Those in Need - GlobeNewswire - October 16th, 2020
- Proposition 14: Stem cell research bonds City Times - City Times - October 16th, 2020
- BrainStorm Announces Financial Results for the Third Quarter of 2020 and Provides a Corporate Update - PRNewswire - October 16th, 2020
- How a UCSF team is giving Cronutt the sea lion a second chance with neuroscience - University of California - October 16th, 2020
- Caliber Pain is Featured as a 2020 Top NYC Patient Rated Pain Management Practice by Find Local Doctors - PR Web - October 10th, 2020
- Report of the president: Appointments and promotions | Stanford News - Stanford University News - October 10th, 2020
- UTSW Scientist: 'We Need More Women Thinking Creatively in the Lab and Pushing Science Forward' - dallasinnovates.com - October 10th, 2020
- Here's what is known about Trump's COVID-19 treatment - Science Magazine - October 4th, 2020
- Election Guide: Here's What You Need to Know About Proposition 14 - NBC Bay Area - October 4th, 2020
- ASX up 2.3%, banks and energy outperform - The Sydney Morning Herald - October 4th, 2020
- Autologous Stem Cell and Non-Stem Cell Based Therapies MARKET 2020 |INDUSTRY ANALYSIS, SIZE, SHARE, TRENDS, MARKET DEMAND, GROWTH, OPPORTUNITIES AND... - September 25th, 2020
- Finding The Achilles Heel of A Killer Parasite - Newswise - September 25th, 2020
- SHE Initiative Shines Light on Gender Disparities in Oncology Workforce - Targeted Oncology - September 25th, 2020
- Actinium Pharmaceuticals Successfully Completes First Dosing Cohort in the Phase 1 Study of Actimab-A and Venetoclax Combination Therapy in... - September 23rd, 2020
- Advances in the Treatment of Mantle Cell Lymphoma are Greatly Improving the Long-Term Outlook for Patients - Curetoday.com - September 23rd, 2020
- CytoDyn's Phase 2 Study of Leronlimab for Mild-to-Moderate COVID-19 Selected for Oral Presentation at the Special isirv-AVG Virtual Conference on... - September 23rd, 2020
- Opdivo (nivolumab) Demonstrated Superior Disease-Free Survival in Patients with Resected Esophageal or Gastroesophageal Junction Cancer Compared to... - September 23rd, 2020
- Coronavirus Researchers Discover How COVID-19 May Trigger Fatal Levels of Lung Inflammation - SciTechDaily - September 21st, 2020
- The Holistic Sanctuary Announces Exciting Plans to Expand Over Next 4 Years and Save More Lives - PRNewswire - September 21st, 2020
- Robert E. Windsor, MD, is being recognized by Continental Who's Who - PRNewswire - September 21st, 2020
- City of Hope Enters Licensing Agreement With Chimeric to Develop Its Pioneering Chlorotoxin CAR T Cell Therapy - Business Wire - September 21st, 2020
- Emerging immunotherapies in multiple myeloma - The BMJ - September 21st, 2020
- ADC Therapeutics Submits Biologics License Application to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for Loncastuximab Tesirine for Treatment of Relapsed... - September 21st, 2020
- Oakland 24-year-old seeking multiethnic bone marrow donor - The Jewish News of Northern California - September 21st, 2020
- First-Line Treatment With Merck's KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) Doubled Five-Year Survival Rate (31.9%) Versus Chemotherapy (16.3%) in Certain Patients... - September 21st, 2020
- Coronavirus, Charity, and the Trolley Problem - Crooked - September 12th, 2020
- Targeted Approach Considered for the Treatment of Accelerated/Blast Phase MPNs - Targeted Oncology - September 1st, 2020
- Royal Biologics Announces the Acquisition of FIBRINET - PRNewswire - September 1st, 2020
- Novel Targets Outside of JAK Inhibition Inching into Myelofibrosis Treatment Landscape - Targeted Oncology - September 1st, 2020
- MaaT Pharma to Announce Clinical Data with its Lead Microbiota Biotherapeutic in Intestinal Acute GvHD at Virtual 46th Annual Meeting of the European... - August 28th, 2020
- The Inside Story Of Biotechs Barnum And His Covid Cures - Forbes - August 28th, 2020
- Mustang Bio: Slow, Steady Progress Towards Multiple Gene And CAR-T Therapy Goals - Seeking Alpha - August 25th, 2020
- Study sheds light on why retinal ganglion cells are vulnerable to glaucoma - Jill Lopez - August 19th, 2020
- Coronavirus Thursday update: UMN announces new stem cell treatment - TwinCities.com-Pioneer Press - August 15th, 2020
- Health and Fitness: Hip replacement surgery: getting back to what you love - taosnews - August 14th, 2020
- How MC Hammer And Other Performing Artists Are Sharing Their Love Of Science - Forbes - August 12th, 2020
- Chromosomal Rearrangements Associated with Chemotherapeutic Drug Resistance | McDonnell Boehnen Hulbert & Berghoff LLP - JD Supra - August 8th, 2020
- Chinese Govt-Compensated Experts Plead Guilty to Thieving Investigation From an American Childrens Medi ... - 90Xtra - August 7th, 2020
- US government considers ethics of aborted tissue research - Angelus News - August 7th, 2020
- Mesa Discusses Treating Myelofibrosis and Other MPNs - Targeted Oncology - August 7th, 2020
- Startup Accelerator: Volumetric Aims to Be the Tissue Bioprinting Farm of the Future - 3DPrint.com - August 6th, 2020
- Cord blood offers hope for rare diseases and ethnic minorities - The Province - August 6th, 2020
- FDA touts advanced manufacturing to address Covid-19 shortfalls - Endpoints News - August 5th, 2020
- Cancer Research Institute Awards $30.2 Million in Grants and Fellowships to Support Basic and Clinical Research in Immunology and Cancer Immunotherapy... - August 5th, 2020
- RenovaCare Appoints Dr. Lydia M. Evans to Its Board of Directors and Increases Board Membership - GlobeNewswire - August 4th, 2020
- MediVet Biologics Rebrands as Ardent Animal Health - Benzinga - August 3rd, 2020
- Church Point Police Captain dies from COVID-19 complications: 'Go and protect the heavens, my dearest friend' - The Advocate - August 1st, 2020
- BMT survivor study finds significant breast cancer risk in young women who received total body irradiation - The Mix - July 31st, 2020
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy Can Enhance Cognition in Healthy Older Adults - PsychCentral.com - July 29th, 2020
- The surprising recovery with stem cells of 26 COVID-19 patient in Hidalgo - Explica - July 29th, 2020
- Johnny Tabaie is proud to announce the most powerful Stem Cell Therapy - Press Release - Digital Journal - July 29th, 2020
- COVID-19 Fibroblast Based Cell Therapy Candidate Shown to Reduce Lung Scarring in Aggressive Animal Model - El Paso Inc. - July 25th, 2020
- 'Self-eating' process of stem cells may be the key to new regenerative therapies - 7thSpace Interactive - July 23rd, 2020
- R3 International Now Including Exosomes with Stem Cell Therapy Program for Autism in Mexico - PR Web - July 23rd, 2020
- CAR T-Cell Therapy Offers Potential Solution for Relapse in MCL, But With Toxicity Risk - Targeted Oncology - July 22nd, 2020