A new Israeli study finds that a new hyperbaric oxygen therapy protocol can improve cognitive function in older adults.
The main areas of improvement were attention, information processing speed, and executive function, in addition to global cognitive function. All of these typically decline with age, according to researchers at the Shamir Medical Center and the Sackler School of Medicine and Sagol School of Neuroscience at Tel Aviv University in Israel.
The researchers report there was also a significant correlation between the cognitive changes and improved cerebral blood flow in specific brain locations.
The randomized controlled clinical trial included 63 healthy adults with an average age of 64. According to the researchers, 33 underwent HBOT for three months, while the remaining 30 were the control group.
Cognitive function was measured by a standardized comprehensive battery of computerized cognitive assessments before and after the three months. Cerebral blood flow (CBF) was evaluated by a magnetic resonance imaging technique for brain perfusion.
Age-related cognitive and functional decline has become a significant concern in the Western world. Major research efforts around the world are focused on improving the cognitive performance of the so-called normal aging population, said co-author Dr. Shai Efrati, head of the Sagol Center for Hyperbaric Medicine and Research, and Head of Research & Development at Shamir Medical Center. In our study, for the first time in humans, we have found an effective and safe medical intervention that can address this unwanted consequence of our age-related deterioration.
Years of research led to an advanced understanding of HBOTs ability to restore brain function, added co-author Dr. Amir Hadanny of the Sagol Center.
Efrati and Hadanny designed the study based on a hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) protocol developed at the Sagol Center over the past 10 years.
In the past, we have demonstrated HBOTs potential to improve/treat brain injuries such as stroke, traumatic brain injury, and anoxic brain injury due to sustained lack of oxygen supply by increasing brain blood flow and metabolism, Hadanny said. This landmark research could have a far-reaching impact on the way we view the aging process and the ability to treat its symptoms.
During HBOT, the patient breaths in pure oxygen in a pressurized chamber where the air pressure is increased to twice that of normal air. This process increases oxygen solubility in the blood that travels throughout the body, the researchers explained. The added oxygen stimulates the release of growth factors and stem cells, which promote healing. HBOT has been applied worldwide mostly to treat chronic non-healing wounds, the researchers noted.
There is a growing body of evidence on the regenerative effects of HBOT, they add. The researchers demonstrated that the combined action of delivering high levels of oxygen (hyperoxia) and pressure (hyperbaric environment) leads to significant improvement in tissue oxygenation while targeting both oxygen and pressure sensitive genes, resulting in restored and enhanced tissue metabolism. These targeted genes induce stem cell proliferation, reduce inflammation, and induce the generation of new blood vessels and tissue repair mechanisms, according to the researchers.
The occlusion of small blood vessels, similar to the occlusions which may develop in the pipes of an aging home, is a dominant element in the human aging process. This led us to speculate that HBOT may affect brain performance of the aging population, Efrati said.
We found that HBOT induced a significant increase in brain blood flow, which correlated with cognitive improvement, confirming our theory. One can conjecture that similar beneficial effect of HBOT can be induced in other organs of the aging body. These will be investigated in our upcoming research.
The study was published in the peer-reviewed journal Aging.
Source: American Friends of Tel Aviv
APA Reference Wood, J. (2020). Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy Can Enhance Cognition in Healthy Older Adults. Psych Central. Retrieved on July 29, 2020, from https://psychcentral.com/news/2020/07/27/hyperbaric-oxygen-therapy-can-enhance-cognition-in-healthy-older-adults/158208.html
- 'Natural Killer Cells' and Other Promising Cancer Treatments - Barron's - April 18th, 2021
- Capturing the Pandemic Experience in Haiku Poetry - Duke Today - April 18th, 2021
- Chemotherapy for Prostate Cancer: When It's Used and What to Expect - Healthline - April 18th, 2021
- Signs that Chemo Is Working: How Effectiveness Is Measured and Defined - Healthline - April 18th, 2021
- Some experts fear next-generation Covid vaccines may be worse - STAT - April 18th, 2021
- How Long is Chemotherapy? What to Expect - Healthline - April 18th, 2021
- Regenerative Medicine - Stem Cell Therapy Little Rock - March 8th, 2021
- Center for Stem Cell Biology & Regenerative Medicine ... - March 8th, 2021
- Dynamic Stem Cell Therapy Offers Regenerative Medicine - Las Vegas Review-Journal - March 8th, 2021
- Anti-EGFR VHH-armed death receptor ligandengineered allogeneic stem cells have therapeutic efficacy in diverse brain metastatic breast cancers -... - March 8th, 2021
- Research Antibodies Market Size to Reach USD 5325.8 Million by 2027 | Increasing R&D Activities in the Fields of Oncology, Neurobiology, and Stem... - March 8th, 2021
- Microwave Processing Isolates Red Ginseng Compounds That Suppress Lung Cancer Metastasis - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - March 8th, 2021
- Longeveron Expands Enrollment Criteria for its Phase 1 RECOVER Trial Evaluating Lomecel-B Infusion to Treat Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome due to... - March 8th, 2021
- Be The Match BioTherapies Announces Expansion of Multi-Year Strategic Alliance with Orchard Therapeutics to Support European Commercial Launch of... - March 8th, 2021
- Autologous Stem Cell and Non-Stem Cell Based Therapies Market 2021: Focuses at the key worldwide companies to Define, Describe and Analyses the sales... - March 8th, 2021
- Editing Reproduction: CRISPR and preventing heritable diseases, With Dr. Dietrich Egli and Dr. Sam Sternberg - Columbia University Irving Medical... - March 8th, 2021
- U. Cancer Center pilot projects: investigating cancer connections - The Brown Daily Herald - March 8th, 2021
- COVID-19 can kill heart muscle cells, interfere with contraction Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis - Washington University School... - March 8th, 2021
- Vaccinating by age groups is unfair, particularly to minorities, advisory panel tells CDC - USA TODAY - March 8th, 2021
- Winter Weather Impacting Blood and Platelet Donations - Milwaukee Community Journal - February 17th, 2021
- Joshua Shirk continues to fight the odds; mom says God placed people where they needed to be to help him - Keyser Mineral Daily News Tribune - February 17th, 2021
- Evotec and Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf Enter Partnership to Develop iPSC-Based Tissue Therapy for Heart Failure - GuruFocus.com - February 7th, 2021
- ProgenCell - Stem Cell Therapies offers an updated Stem Cell Therapy for Anti Aging Protocol - PR Web - January 30th, 2021
- Doctors urge immunocompromised to get COVID vaccine when it becomes available - KMTV - 3 News Now - January 30th, 2021
- Autologous Stem Cell and Non Stem Based therapies Market Share, Size 2021 Global Industry Future Trends, Growth, Strategies,, Segmentation, In-depth... - January 30th, 2021
- Studies Indicating T-Cells May Be Needed For Long-Term Protection From The SARS-Cov-2 Virus - PRNewswire - January 30th, 2021
- Researchers use patients' cells to test gene therapy for rare eye disease - National Institutes of Health - January 30th, 2021
- Two Gene Therapies Fix Fault in Sickle Cell Disease and -thalassemia - MD Magazine - January 30th, 2021
- If I Have Cancer, Dementia or MS, Should I Get the Covid Vaccine? - Kaiser Health News - January 30th, 2021
- L-MIND Trial Results Show CD19 Antibody Is Reasonable in R/R DLBCL - Targeted Oncology - January 30th, 2021
- Profile of T Cells, Broadly Neutralizing Antibodies, Anti-Viral Targets: COVID-19 Updates - Bio-IT World - January 30th, 2021
- HealthLynked's The Future of Healthcare Summit Brings Healthcare Experts and Technology Innovators from Around the World to Naples, Florida - WFMZ... - January 30th, 2021
- Tevogen Bio Secures Funding from Team of Doctors to Support Clinical Trials of Its Investigational Curative T Cell Therapy for COVID-19 - PRNewswire - January 25th, 2021
- Novel Treatment Leads to Dog's Recovery - The Bark - January 25th, 2021
- Identification and Targeting of ThomsenFriedenreich and IL1RAP | OTT - Dove Medical Press - January 25th, 2021
- Regenerative Medicine Market Size Worth $74831.35 Million With CAGR of 22.27% By 2024 | Segmented by Product Type, Top Manufacturers, By End-User... - January 25th, 2021
- Immunotherapy Inches Forward in Development of Myeloid Malignancies - OncLive - January 14th, 2021
- Cytovia Therapeutics Partners with National Cancer Institute to Develop Novel Gene-Edited, iPSC-Derived GPC3 CAR NK Cells for the Treatment of Solid... - January 14th, 2021
- Kaleido Biosciences Announces Positive Interim Results of Controlled Study of KB109 in Patients with Mild-to-Moderate COVID-19 - BioSpace - January 14th, 2021
- Doctors Make Medical Breakthrough In Treating Severe Cases Of COVID - CBS San Francisco - January 9th, 2021
- Mana joins the hectic fight against solid tumors with an 'off-the-shelf' candidate angling for an IND this year - Endpoints News - January 9th, 2021
- Versiti Blood Centers and Noodles & Company Serve Up Thanks to Blood Donors - PRNewswire - December 31st, 2020
- Global CAR-T Pipeline Insight Report 2020: Overview, Landscape, Therapeutic Assessment, Current Treatment Scenario and Emerging Therapies -... - December 31st, 2020
- 2020 health care year in review - Crain's Cleveland Business - December 31st, 2020
- The Top 10 FDA Oncology Drug Approvals of 2020 - Curetoday.com - December 31st, 2020
- Gut microbiota: How does it interact with the brain? - Medical News Today - December 31st, 2020
- Numerous Indian American STEM Researchers Named Fellows of American Association for the Advancement of Sciences - India West - December 31st, 2020
- Four years after devastating spinal injury, former St. Paul's football player reunites with caregivers - NOLA.com - December 24th, 2020
- New Combination Therapy Tested By Children's May Offer Hope For Leukemia Patients - WVXU - December 24th, 2020
- Real-time observation helpful in Stem cell for vascular diseases: Study - Hindustan Times - December 21st, 2020
- NurOwn May Be Given to Early ALS Patients in US Who Finished Phase... - ALS News Today - December 21st, 2020
- Follow the Money: Spatial Omics, CAR-NK Cells, AI-Powered Biology - Bio-IT World - December 21st, 2020
- Explained: Process of transporting stem cell from donor to patient for a successful transplant - Firstpost - December 18th, 2020
- Research That Saves Lives: Four COVID-19 Therapies Being Tested at UVA - University of Virginia - December 18th, 2020
- Even if You've Had COVID-19 You Still Need the Vaccine - Healthline - December 18th, 2020
- What Patients With Cancer, Survivors Need to Know About the Emergency Use Authorization of COVID-19 Vaccine - Curetoday.com - December 16th, 2020
- 2020 at the U: The year in review - University of Miami - December 16th, 2020
- Five Mobile County hospitals to get Pfizer vaccine this week - AL.com - December 16th, 2020
- Donor Stem Cell Transplant Improves Survival in Older Patients with Myelodysplastic Syndrome - Cancer Health Treatment News - December 10th, 2020
- Positive Phase 2 Proof-of-Concept Data for Viralym-M and Burden of Disease Data Presented in Oral Presentations at the 62nd American Society of... - December 10th, 2020
- Dr. Kansagra: Quadruplet Therapy for Newly Diagnosed Multiple Myeloma and Combination CAR T-Cell Opportunities - DocWire News - December 10th, 2020
- Silicon Therapeutics Announces Members of Scientific Advisory Board - Business Wire - December 10th, 2020
- Israeli Neurogenesis' NG-01 slows progressive MS by up to 90% in phase II study - BioWorld Online - December 10th, 2020
- ADC Therapeutics Announces Updated Clinical Data on Lead Antibody Drug Conjugate Programs Loncastuximab Tesirine (Lonca) and Camidanlumab Tesirine... - December 10th, 2020
- Magenta Therapeutics Announces Commencement of First Phase 2 Clinical Trial of MGTA-145 for Stem Cell Mobilization, Oral Presentation of MGTA-145... - December 8th, 2020
- Precigen Presents New Data Supporting the Safety, Clinical Activity, Expansion and Persistence of PRGN-3006 UltraCAR-T at the 62nd ASH Annual Meeting... - December 8th, 2020
- ALLO-715, Off-the-Shelf CAR T-Cell Therapy, Produces Early Promise in Multiple Myeloma - Cancer Network - December 8th, 2020
- Rocket Pharmaceuticals Presents Positive Clinical Data from its Fanconi Anemia and Leukocyte Adhesion Deficiency-I Programs at the 62nd American... - December 8th, 2020
- Negrin Shines Light on the Orca-T Story in GVHD - OncLive - December 8th, 2020
- Preliminary Results from NexImmune's Phase 1/2 Trial of NEXI-001 in AML Presented at 62nd ASH Annual Meeting and Exposition - GlobeNewswire - December 8th, 2020
- BeiGene Announces the Approval in China of BLINCYTO (Blinatumomab) for Injection for Adult Patients with Relapsed or Refractory B-Cell Precursor Acute... - December 8th, 2020
- Sutro Biopharma Presents Data from Ongoing Phase 1 Dose-Escalation Study for STRO-001 for the Treatment of B-cell Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma at the 62nd... - December 8th, 2020
- Data from the ANDROMEDA Study Show Hematologic Response for DARZALEX FASPRO (daratumumab and hyaluronidase-fihj) in Newly Diagnosed Light Chain (AL)... - December 8th, 2020
- US FDA Approves Naxitamab for the Treatment of Neuroblastoma - OncoZine - November 29th, 2020
- Coronavirus treatments and vaccines. Here are the latest developments - San Francisco Chronicle - November 29th, 2020
- Dr Apar Kishor Ganti Outlines the Effectiveness of Lurbinectedin and Benefits Over Competition - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - November 26th, 2020
- Commonly used antibiotic shows promise for combating Zika infections - National Institutes of Health - November 26th, 2020
- A real life Superman celebrates 5 years of survival from one of the deadliest cancers - Newswise - November 26th, 2020
- Global Cell Harvesting Market to Reach US$381,4 Million by the Year 2027 - Salamanca Press - November 26th, 2020
- Tanya Siddiqi, MD, Discusses the Promise of Reduced Toxicity With Liso-Cel - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - November 26th, 2020