Last year, fewer than 4% of incoming medical students in Illinois were black men. Today: whats behind that number,and what should be done about it. Plus,decades ago, a cutting edge stem cell treatment from umbilical cord blood saved one Illinois woman's life. And earlier this year, she met her donor and his parents for the first time.And, wetalk to a University of Illinois geology professor about her work, on how to better forecast volcanic eruptions
Black Men In Medicine
Last year, fewer than 4% of incoming medical students here in Illinois were black men. That number can be surprising on the surface, but it could also have more serious health implications for all African-American men.
And the path to medicine comes with many obstacles. Some students dont get the support they need beforehand and even if they do, going to med school is incredibly expensive.
Stephanie Whiteside reported on this for Illinois Newsroom. And Dr. Don Arnold is Chief of Surgery at Herrin Hospital, just outside of Carbondale.
They both spoke with Brian Moline this past spring.
Family of Stem Cell Donor Connects With Recipient 20 Years Later
In 1994, DaniaDavey and her husband made an important decision. Although she didnt quite realize how important it was at the time, that decision would save a young womans life hundreds of miles away.
That woman is Holly Becker, who was 24 when she received a stage 4 cancer diagnosis. Hollys oncologist at Loyola Medicine in Maywood, Illinois decided to try a cutting edge treatment at the time in the 90s: a stem cell transplant from donated umbilical cord blood.
That cord blood came from Danias son Patrick. It was donated and frozen the day he was born in New York.
Holly is now cancer free. And she met the Daveys earlier this year in Illinois. Its thought to be one of the first times a stem cell donor from umbilical cord blood has met the recipient.
Dania Davey now lives in New York. Holly Becker is in the Chicago suburbs, along with her oncologist, Dr. Patrick Stiff from Loyola University Medical Center.
The three of them spoke with Brian Moline earlier this year.
Forecasting Volcanic Eruptions
When it comes to forecasting severe weather events like hurricanes, tornadoes or earthquakes, accuracy is key. Knowing what to expect and when to expect it can mean the difference between life and death.
Now, researchers at the University of Illinois are part of a new study looking at ways we can better forecast volcanic eruptions. Theyve been studying one which happened in Alaska back in 2008,which traditional forecasting models missed.
Researchers are now using new computer models to paint a more accurate picture about if and when we can expect volcanic eruptions.
Trish Gregg is a geology professor at the University of Illinois. She spoke with Brian Moline back in September.
- The Center for Breakthrough Medicines is Building the World's Largest Cell and Gene Therapy Contract Development and Manufacturing Organization (CDMO)... - January 22nd, 2020
- Toxys Strengthens Leadership Team with Appointment of CBO and COO Positions - BioSpace - January 22nd, 2020
- Share the Love on Valentine's Day! Join the Cure 4 The Kids Foundation Blood Drive and Registry Event - Nevada Business Magazine - January 22nd, 2020
- Botox, medical drips and more offered at NVY Center - SILive.com - January 18th, 2020
- Walter named Edward P. Evans Endowed Professor - Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis - January 18th, 2020
- Who are the 10 Most Innovative Biopharma Companies? - BioSpace - January 18th, 2020
- Using RNA as a Delivery Vehicle Is the Magic Bullet to Cure Gene Mutation - Science Times - January 13th, 2020
- The F.D.A. Is in Trouble. Heres How to Fix It. - The New York Times - January 12th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Regenerative Medicine Action Awards to be Presented at World Stem Cell Summit on January 23 at the Hyatt Regency Miami - Yahoo Finance - January 10th, 2020
- John Theurer Cancer Center Announces Appointment of Five New Physicians - Newswise - January 10th, 2020
- Orgenesis Announces Addition of University of California, Davis, to its Point of Care Network; UC Davis Health to Utilize Orgenesis Point of Care... - January 10th, 2020
- Aspen Neuroscience Announces Board of Directors and Scientific Advisory Board - PRNewswire - January 10th, 2020
- How Kyoto Is Rebuilding Itself As A Nanotech And Regenerative Medicine Powerhouse - Forbes - January 10th, 2020
- ASH 2019 | The impact of donor clonal hematopoiesis on aGvHD and patient outcomes - AML Global Portal - January 9th, 2020
- New protocol could signal shift in bone regenerative medicine - PR Web - January 7th, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market 2020 Size, Share Metrics, Growth Trends and Forecast to 2026 - Pro News Time - January 7th, 2020
- Firm adds a new wrinkle to anti-aging products - The Logan Banner - January 1st, 2020
- The Major Discoveries That Could Transform the World in the Next Decade - Livescience.com - January 1st, 2020
- Alligator Skin, Human Clones and Other Things Being Banned in 2020 - The New York Times - December 31st, 2019
- ESPN reporter Edward Aschoff diagnosed with pneumonia and HLH before he died - WPVI-TV - December 31st, 2019
- ESPN reporter Edward Aschoff was diagnosed with pneumonia and HLH before he died. What is HLH? - Q13 News Seattle - December 29th, 2019
- The top 45 stories of the decade - ISRAEL21c - December 29th, 2019
- ESPN reporter diagnosed with pneumonia, HLH. What is HLH? - KXLY Spokane - December 27th, 2019
- Efficacy and Safety of Umbilical Cord Mesenchymal Stem Cell Therapy fo | DDDT - Dove Medical Press - December 19th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy is a Must Try Method for Permanent Relief from Pain, Says Integrated Medical Center of Corona - Press Release - Digital Journal - December 19th, 2019
- Hackensack Meridian Health and Georgetown Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center Become Associate Members of the New York Genome Center - BioSpace - December 19th, 2019
- Orthopaedic Surgeon, Dr. Jeffrey Carlson, first in Central and Eastern Virginia to implant the M6-C Artificial Cervical Disc - OrthoSpineNews - December 19th, 2019
- Experts and Attitude Help Grandfather Face Primary Central Nervous System Lymphoma - Dana-Farber Cancer Institute - December 19th, 2019
- 100 hospitals and health systems with great neurosurgery and spine programs | 2019 - Becker's Hospital Review - December 14th, 2019
- Therapeutic Exosomes Go From Vein to Brain - Technology Networks - December 13th, 2019
- Blinatumomab May Become New Standard of Care for Post-Reinduction Therapy in Young Patients With B-ALL - Cancer Therapy Advisor - December 13th, 2019
- Deacon Butch King learns to accept the 'gift' of cancer - Arkansas Catholic - December 13th, 2019
- How cancer cells grow and spread in colon tissue? - Tech Explorist - December 5th, 2019
- Hidden Dangers Of Dating Apps: Sex Offenders, Including Rapists, Are Using Them. Why Do Companies Allow It? - Kaiser Health News - December 5th, 2019
- Cellex Opens New Plant to Manufacture Innovative Cell Therapy Products for Cancer - PRNewswire - December 5th, 2019
- Analysis Shows Need for Better Classification of Rare Lymphoma - Patch.com - December 5th, 2019
- Aledo and Ennis will be a legendary regional final matchup, and not because of what's on the playing field - The Dallas Morning News - December 5th, 2019
- Volumetric Bioprinting: The New Paradigm in Regenerative Medicine - Advanced Science News - December 2nd, 2019
- Heres what you might have missed from the week in business - The Boston Globe - December 2nd, 2019
- Genome Editing Services, World Markets to 2030: Focus on CRISPR - The Most Popular Genome Manipulation Technology Tool - PRNewswire - November 29th, 2019
- The FutureAnd the End?of AIDS - Columbia University Irving Medical Center - November 29th, 2019
- Visiongain Report Looks at Opportunities within the $1.8bn Acute Myeloid Leukaemia Market - P&T Community - November 29th, 2019
- Trial cancer treatment in Wichita - KAKE - November 26th, 2019
- Personalized Stem Cells, Inc. Sponsors Arthritis Foundation Event in Los Angeles - PR Web - November 26th, 2019
- BioLineRx to Host Investor and Analyst Breakfast Meeting on December 5, 2019 in New York - P&T Community - November 26th, 2019
- AVITA Medical and the Gates Center for Regenerative Medicine at the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus Enter into Collaboration to Explore... - November 26th, 2019
- Fred Hutch at ASH: Latest CAR T data BCMA, CD19, CD20 plus new insights on transplantation, gene therapy and more - Newswise - November 22nd, 2019
- ALS Stem Cell Therapy Developer Seeks Amendment to its AstroRx Trial - ALS News Today - November 22nd, 2019
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market: moving from experimentation to transformation in 2024 - WindStreetz - November 22nd, 2019
- For veterans, theres no better cause to push than helping other vets - Snoqualmie Valley Record - November 18th, 2019
- What to Know in Washington: Trump Ally in Impeachment Spotlight - Bloomberg Government - November 18th, 2019
- Possible Treatment Found for Contractures in CP, Childhood Paralysis, Early Study Shows - Cerebral Palsy News Today - November 14th, 2019
- Asia's Top Firms Recognized at the 2019 Frost & Sullivan Asia-Pacific Best Practices Awards - Yahoo Finance - November 14th, 2019
- Takeda, Anderson Cancer Center team up for cell therapy - BSA bureau - November 11th, 2019
- Takeda and MD Anderson Announce Collaboration to Accelerate the Development of Clinical-Stage, Off-The-Shelf CAR NK-Cell Therapy Platform - BioSpace - November 11th, 2019
- Impact Of ELN Risk Stratification, Induction Chemotherapy Regimens And | CMAR - Dove Medical Press - November 8th, 2019
- An artist and a transplant researcher discuss the heart - Harvard Gazette - November 8th, 2019
- 2019s Allen Distinguished Investigators will focus on the mysteries of our cells - GeekWire - November 6th, 2019
- Cellular Biomedicine Group Reports Third Quarter of 2019 Financial Results and Business Highlights - P&T Community - November 6th, 2019
- Cost is a major challenge in stem cells therapy: Dr Na'eem Sadiq - ETHealthworld.com - November 6th, 2019
- Mustang Bio Announces MB-107 Lentiviral Gene Therapy and MB-106 CD20-Targeted CAR T Data Selected for Presentations at 61st American Society of... - November 6th, 2019
- Cardon Children's is proud of its 10-year history - East Valley Tribune - November 6th, 2019
- Celebrating Cancer Heroes will recognize survivors at event in Somers - Reminder Publications - November 6th, 2019
- Fate Therapeutics Reports Third Quarter 2019 Financial Results and Highlights Operational Progress - Yahoo Finance - November 6th, 2019
- MD Anderson and Takeda Announce Collaboration to Accelerate the Development of Clinical-Stage, Off-The-Shelf CAR NK-Cell Therapy Platform - Newswise - November 6th, 2019
- Orchard Therapeutics Reports Third Quarter 2019 Financial Results and Achievement of Key 2019 Milestones for Neurometabolic and Primary Immune... - November 6th, 2019
- Celgene to Present New and Updated Data on Key Hematology Pipeline Therapies at American Society of Hematology (ASH) 2019 Annual Meeting - Business... - November 6th, 2019
- New NCCN Guidelines Debut to Manage Complications and Improve Readiness for Stem Cell Transplant Recipients - Bradford Era - November 5th, 2019
- VetStem Biopharma Shares the Success Story of Ole who was Treated with VetStem Cell Therapy by Dr. Holly Mullen - PR Web - November 5th, 2019
- Create a fetus without an egg or sperm? Researchers have done it with mice - Genetic Literacy Project - November 5th, 2019
- Cellular Biomedicine Group to Report Third Quarter 2019 Results on November 6, 2019 - Olean Times Herald - November 3rd, 2019
- Three UCLA scientists receive grants totaling more than $18 million - Newswise - October 31st, 2019
- Doheny and UCLA Stein Eye Institutes Welcome Kaustabh Ghosh, PhD, to the Scientific and Clinical Research Faculty - PRNewswire - October 31st, 2019
- bluebird bio Reports Third Quarter 2019 Financial Results and Highlights Operational Progress - Yahoo Finance - October 31st, 2019
- BioLineRx to Present Two Posters at the Society for Immunotherapy of Cancer (SITC) 2019 - PRNewswire - October 31st, 2019
- Introducing: iPSC Collection from Tauopathy Patients - Alzforum - October 24th, 2019
- Artificial embryo without sperm or egg forms live fetus - ZME Science - October 21st, 2019
- Novel Cell Sorting and Separation Markets, 2030 - Yahoo Finance - October 7th, 2019
- Platelet BioGenesis Receives Contract Worth Up to $56 Million from the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA) to Develop Human... - October 7th, 2019
- Researchers identify molecular process that could accelerate recovery from nerve injuries - UCLA Newsroom - October 7th, 2019