Last year, fewer than 4% of incoming medical students in Illinois were black men. Today: whats behind that number,and what should be done about it. Plus,decades ago, a cutting edge stem cell treatment from umbilical cord blood saved one Illinois woman's life. And earlier this year, she met her donor and his parents for the first time.And, wetalk to a University of Illinois geology professor about her work, on how to better forecast volcanic eruptions
Black Men In Medicine
Last year, fewer than 4% of incoming medical students here in Illinois were black men. That number can be surprising on the surface, but it could also have more serious health implications for all African-American men.
And the path to medicine comes with many obstacles. Some students dont get the support they need beforehand and even if they do, going to med school is incredibly expensive.
Stephanie Whiteside reported on this for Illinois Newsroom. And Dr. Don Arnold is Chief of Surgery at Herrin Hospital, just outside of Carbondale.
They both spoke with Brian Moline this past spring.
Family of Stem Cell Donor Connects With Recipient 20 Years Later
In 1994, DaniaDavey and her husband made an important decision. Although she didnt quite realize how important it was at the time, that decision would save a young womans life hundreds of miles away.
That woman is Holly Becker, who was 24 when she received a stage 4 cancer diagnosis. Hollys oncologist at Loyola Medicine in Maywood, Illinois decided to try a cutting edge treatment at the time in the 90s: a stem cell transplant from donated umbilical cord blood.
That cord blood came from Danias son Patrick. It was donated and frozen the day he was born in New York.
Holly is now cancer free. And she met the Daveys earlier this year in Illinois. Its thought to be one of the first times a stem cell donor from umbilical cord blood has met the recipient.
Dania Davey now lives in New York. Holly Becker is in the Chicago suburbs, along with her oncologist, Dr. Patrick Stiff from Loyola University Medical Center.
The three of them spoke with Brian Moline earlier this year.
Forecasting Volcanic Eruptions
When it comes to forecasting severe weather events like hurricanes, tornadoes or earthquakes, accuracy is key. Knowing what to expect and when to expect it can mean the difference between life and death.
Now, researchers at the University of Illinois are part of a new study looking at ways we can better forecast volcanic eruptions. Theyve been studying one which happened in Alaska back in 2008,which traditional forecasting models missed.
Researchers are now using new computer models to paint a more accurate picture about if and when we can expect volcanic eruptions.
Trish Gregg is a geology professor at the University of Illinois. She spoke with Brian Moline back in September.
- FDA touts advanced manufacturing to address Covid-19 shortfalls - Endpoints News - August 5th, 2020
- Cancer Research Institute Awards $30.2 Million in Grants and Fellowships to Support Basic and Clinical Research in Immunology and Cancer Immunotherapy... - August 5th, 2020
- RenovaCare Appoints Dr. Lydia M. Evans to Its Board of Directors and Increases Board Membership - GlobeNewswire - August 4th, 2020
- MediVet Biologics Rebrands as Ardent Animal Health - Benzinga - August 3rd, 2020
- Church Point Police Captain dies from COVID-19 complications: 'Go and protect the heavens, my dearest friend' - The Advocate - August 1st, 2020
- BMT survivor study finds significant breast cancer risk in young women who received total body irradiation - The Mix - July 31st, 2020
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy Can Enhance Cognition in Healthy Older Adults - PsychCentral.com - July 29th, 2020
- The surprising recovery with stem cells of 26 COVID-19 patient in Hidalgo - Explica - July 29th, 2020
- Johnny Tabaie is proud to announce the most powerful Stem Cell Therapy - Press Release - Digital Journal - July 29th, 2020
- COVID-19 Fibroblast Based Cell Therapy Candidate Shown to Reduce Lung Scarring in Aggressive Animal Model - El Paso Inc. - July 25th, 2020
- 'Self-eating' process of stem cells may be the key to new regenerative therapies - 7thSpace Interactive - July 23rd, 2020
- R3 International Now Including Exosomes with Stem Cell Therapy Program for Autism in Mexico - PR Web - July 23rd, 2020
- CAR T-Cell Therapy Offers Potential Solution for Relapse in MCL, But With Toxicity Risk - Targeted Oncology - July 22nd, 2020
- Fine-tuning adoptive cell therapy for advanced cancers - Newswise - July 22nd, 2020
- Global Cart Cell Therapy Market To Grow At A CAGR of 29.4% With The Emergence Of Immunotherapies In Medical Treatment - GlobeNewswire - July 22nd, 2020
- In Remission for 10 Years: Long-term Data on CAR-T Therapy - Medscape - July 21st, 2020
- MRFR predicts an Upsurge in the Leukemia Therapeutics Market valuation to USD 10.7 billion by 2023 - Jewish Life News - July 21st, 2020
- Cannabis Found Effective to Treat Sickle Cell Disease Pain - The Weed Blog - July 20th, 2020
- End of Palestinian Authority coordination with Israel in response to annexation threat: decision already impacting medical referrals - occupied... - July 20th, 2020
- Addiction Treatment Market Survey Report 2020 Stats and Forecasts to 2026 - Cole of Duty - July 18th, 2020
- 13 Promising Covid Treatments Emerging from Israel - The Jewish Voice - July 15th, 2020
- New Clues from Fruit Flies about the Critical Role of Sex Hormones in Stem Cell Control - Newswise - July 15th, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 on Preimplantation Genetic Testing Market is Projected to Grow Massively in Near Future - Cole of Duty - July 13th, 2020
- Covid-19 Update : Cord Stem Cell Banking Market 2020 Outlook and Deep Study of Top Key Players Cryo-Save AG, Lifecell, StemCyte India Therapeutics... - July 13th, 2020
- Coronavirus updates: California to release 8,000 inmates; masks 'only way' to prevent another shutdown, Texas Gov. says - USA TODAY - July 10th, 2020
- BCLI: KOL Event Gives Overview of the use of NurOwn in Alzheimer's Disease; Raising Valuation to $25/Share - Zacks Small Cap Research - July 10th, 2020
- Hammond police officer jumps at chance to donate stem cells - The Times of Northwest Indiana - July 8th, 2020
- Joint Study by Sunway University and Harvard Medical School Shows Gene Therapy Can Advance Cancer Treatment - QS WOW News - July 8th, 2020
- Astex Pharmaceuticals, Taiho Oncology, and Otsuka Pharmaceutical Announce FDA and Health Canada Approval of INQOVI (Decitabine and Cedazuridine)... - July 8th, 2020
- HRMC to open hematology and oncology clinic - The Ottawa Herald - June 29th, 2020
- Gift of Life, Root and Rutgers Researchers Launch COVID-19 Study - Patch.com - June 29th, 2020
- Obituaries in the Sunday and Monday Courier, June 28-29 - Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier - June 29th, 2020
- Efforts at coronavirus vaccines and treatments abound in the Bay Area - San Francisco Chronicle - June 23rd, 2020
- New Preclinical Data Demonstrates Immune-Enhancing Effects of Triple I/O Combination Therapy with BeyondSpring's Plinabulin - GlobeNewswire - June 23rd, 2020
- [Herald Interview] Spinning cord blood into stem cell therapies - The Korea Herald - June 22nd, 2020
- Children's Hospital Los Angeles Ranked No. 1 Children's Hospital in the Western U.S., No. 5 Nationally for Second Straight Year - Business Wire - June 22nd, 2020
- The BCG a Tuberculosis Vaccine Boosts Immune Cells and Reduces Risk of Other Infections - Gilmore Health News - June 18th, 2020
- FDA Approves Second Biomarker-Based Indication for Merck's KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab), Regardless of Tumor Type - The Baytown Sun - June 17th, 2020
- UCLA receives nearly $14 million from NIH to investigate gene therapy to combat HIV - Mirage News - June 17th, 2020
- Orca Bio Emerges With Nearly $300 Million to Transform Allogeneic Cell Therapy - Stockhouse - June 17th, 2020
- UChicago working on COVID-19 saliva test Pandemic energizes health care unions Rehab hospital to be built in Libertyville - Crain's Chicago Business - June 17th, 2020
- UofL researchers to study health impacts of vaping, nicotine on youth - The Lane Report - June 14th, 2020
- Houston coronavirus updates: What you need to know about June 14 - msnNOW - June 14th, 2020
- Be The Match Appoints Amy Ronneberg as Chief Executive Officer - Southernminn.com - June 11th, 2020
- A&B could become premier stem cell producer - Antigua ... - June 11th, 2020
- Nick Cordero Had a 'Rocky Night' After He 'Spiked a Fever' During His Hospitalization, Wife Says - PopCulture.com - June 11th, 2020
- R3 International Now Offering New Stem Cell Therapy Program for Lyme Disease in Mexico - Yahoo Finance - June 10th, 2020
- Nick Cordero's Wife Says His COVID-19 Recovery Is 'Going in the Right Direction' - countryliving.com - June 10th, 2020
- Memorial Sloan Kettering - Hackensack Meridian Health Partnership Announces Funding for Inaugural Immunology Research Collaboration Projects - The... - June 10th, 2020
- Longeveron Announces Japanese Approval of Clinical Trial for Treatment of Aging Frailty With Longeveron's Stem Cells - Yahoo Finance - June 3rd, 2020
- Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells (hMSC) Market investigated in the latest research - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - June 3rd, 2020
- Longeveron Announces Japanese Approval of Clinical Trial for Treatment of Aging Frailty With Longeveron's Stem Cells | DNA RNA and Cells | News... - June 2nd, 2020
- CSL Behring and Seattle Children's Research Institute to Advance Gene Therapy Treatments for Primary Immunodeficiency Diseases - P&T Community - June 2nd, 2020
- New Leaders at ASTCT and CIBMTR Provide Guidelines and Measures for Combating COVID-19 and Protecting Transplant Patients - Business Wire - June 2nd, 2020
- Exceptional stem cell science on tap for ISSCR 2020 Virtual June 23-27, 2020 - 7thSpace Interactive - June 2nd, 2020
- In situ repair abilities of human umbilical cordderived mesenchymal stem cells and autocrosslinked hyaluronic acid gel complex in rhesus monkeys with... - May 23rd, 2020
- UH studying use of convalescent plasma to improve health of COVID-19 patients - Crain's Cleveland Business - May 23rd, 2020
- COVID-19: Recommendations for Treating MS and Related... : Neurology Today - LWW Journals - May 21st, 2020
- New hybrid embryos are the most thorough mixing of humans and mice yet - Science News - May 20th, 2020
- Hotel in Spain requires two negative Covid-19 tests to check in with a free antibody test during your stay - CNBC - May 20th, 2020
- Sumit Dewanjee, MD, is being recognized by Continental Who's Who - PRNewswire - May 7th, 2020
- Results From Pivotal Phase 2/3 Study of Emapalumab in Patients With Primary HLH Published in New England Journal of Medicine - BioSpace - May 7th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact and Recovery Analysis | Global Cell Isolation Market 2020-2024 | Evolving Opportunities with Agilent Technologies Inc. and Becton,... - May 7th, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Detailed Analysis of Current Industry Figures With Forecasts Growth by 2026 - 3rd Watch News - May 7th, 2020
- AMC to use stem cell therapy in treating graft-versus-host disease - Korea Biomedical Review - May 7th, 2020
- Drumming class finds a new rhythm with creative connections - Yes! Weekly - May 7th, 2020
- Drumming class finds a new rhythm with creative connections - Wake Forest University News Center - May 5th, 2020
- Insights on the Worldwide Cell Expansion Industry to 2027 - Analysis and Forecasts - Yahoo Finance UK - May 5th, 2020
- These 5 Houston-area research institutions have bright minds at work to battle COVID-19 - InnovationMap - May 5th, 2020
- GCC Condemns Israeli Plans to Annex Parts of the West Bank - Asharq Al-awsat English - May 2nd, 2020
- Jerusalem residents concerned Israel is changing their residency rights - Arabnews - May 2nd, 2020
- Four UTSW Researchers Named to The National Academy of Sciences - D Magazine - May 1st, 2020
- CHMP Grants Positive Opinion for DARZALEX (daratumumab) Subcutaneous Formulation for the Treatment of Patients with Multiple Myeloma - Yahoo Finance - May 1st, 2020
- Verify the URL - InnovationMap - May 1st, 2020
- Houston banking exec shares tips for keeping online information secure amid COVID-19 threats - InnovationMap - May 1st, 2020
- Trials and Tribulations: Neurology Research During COVID-19 - Medscape - April 30th, 2020
- Into the Lungs and Beyond - Harvard Medical School - April 30th, 2020
- Five UC San Diego Professors Elected to National Academy of Sciences - UC San Diego Health - April 29th, 2020
- Suffering from ED? Discover how our combined treatments of Hormone Balancing and FDA Approved Acoustic Wave Pulse Therapy Ends Your ED - Magazine of... - April 29th, 2020
- BrainStorm-Cell Therapeutics to Announce First Quarter Financial Results and Provide a Corporate UpdateThursday, May 7, 2020, 8:30 am EDT - BioSpace - April 29th, 2020