BEIJING & CAMBRIDGE, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--BeiGene, Ltd. (NASDAQ: BGNE; HKEX: 06160), a commercial-stage biotechnology company focused on developing and commercializing innovative medicines worldwide, today announced that the China National Medical Products Administration (NMPA) has approved BLINCYTO (blinatumomab) for injection for the treatment of adult patients with relapsed or refractory (R/R) B-cell precursor acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL). The biologics license application (BLA) had been submitted by Amgen and received priority review by the Center for Drug Evaluation (CDE) of the NMPA. Developed by Amgen and licensed to BeiGene in China under a strategic collaboration commenced earlier this year, this is the first approval for BLINCYTO in China and BeiGenes first product licensed from Amgen to be newly approved. With this approval, BLINCYTO has become the first bispecific immunotherapy approved in China.
This approval of BLINCYTO provides us with an opportunity to offer adult patients in China with relapsed or refractory B-cell precursor ALL the first approved immunotherapy treatment for their disease. BLINCYTO is the first immunotherapy to demonstrate superior overall survival versus chemotherapy, more than doubling patients chances for survival, when used in first salvage R/R ALL in studies outside of China, commented Xiaobin Wu, Ph.D., General Manager of China and President of BeiGene. We are working to ensure BLINCYTO is available to patients in China as soon as possible. Our commercial organization of more than 1,500 people in China is excited to add BLINCYTO to our product portfolio, which now includes six approved cancer treatments.
The approval of BLINCYTO was based on results from the Phase 3 trial (NCT03476239) in China evaluating the efficacy and safety of BLINCYTO in adult patients with Philadelphia-negative R/R B-cell precursor ALL. Results of the interim analysis of 67 patients showed that the efficacy results in Chinese subjects were generally consistent with those in the global and Japan studies in subjects with Philadelphia-negative R/R ALL. The complete response/complete response with partial recovery of blood cells (CR/CRh) rate within two cycles of BLINCYTO treatment (the primary endpoint) was 47.8% (32 of 67 subjects; 95% CI: 35.4, 60.3). The median overall survival time was 9.6 months (95% CI: 6.4, not estimable). The safety profile observed for Chinese subjects in this study was consistent with that observed in the global studies evaluating BLINCYTO in R/R ALL. No new safety risks were identified based on these interim analyses of adverse events in Chinese subjects.
Our collaboration with BeiGene is advancing Amgens oncology pipeline for patients with significant unmet medical needs. We are confident the approval of BLINCYTO in China has the potential to make a meaningful difference to adult patients with R/R B-cell precursor acute lymphoblastic leukemia, said My Linh Kha, Vice President & General Manager, Amgen Japan Asia-Pacific (JAPAC). We are deeply committed to continuing to bring therapeutic options to treat debilitating cancers for patients in China, while also actively supporting the Governments focus on healthy aging through innovative products and initiatives designed to prevent chronic diseases, such as cardiovascular disease and fragility fracture.
About Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL)
Acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL), also known as acute lymphocytic leukemia, is a rapidly progressing cancer of the blood and bone marrow that occurs in both adults and children1. ALL accounts for approximately 20% of all adult leukemia, and in China there were an estimated 82,607 new cases of leukemia in 20182,3. In children, the relapse rate of ALL is nearly 10%, while in adults the relapse rate is closer to 50%4.
About BLINCYTO (blinatumomab)
BLINCYTO is a bispecific CD19-directed CD3 T cell engager (BiTE) immuno-oncology molecule that binds specifically to CD19 expressed on the surface of cells of B-lineage origin and CD3 expressed on the surface of T cells.
BiTE molecules are a type of immuno-oncology therapy being investigated for fighting cancer by helping the body's immune system to detect and target malignant cells. The modified molecules are designed to engage two different targets simultaneously, thereby juxtaposing T cells (a type of white blood cell capable of killing other cells perceived as threats) to cancer cells. BiTE immuno-oncology molecules help place the T cells within reach of the targeted cell, with the intent of allowing T cells to inject toxins and trigger the cancer cell to die (apoptosis). BiTE immuno-oncology therapies are currently being investigated for their potential to treat a wide variety of cancers.
BLINCYTO was granted breakthrough therapy and priority review designations by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and is approved in the U.S. for the treatment of:
In the European Union (EU), BLINCYTO is indicated as monotherapy for the treatment of:
In China, BLINCYTO is indicated for the treatment of adult patients with relapsed or refractory B-cell precursor ALL.
Important U.S. Safety Information
WARNING: CYTOKINE RELEASE SYNDROME and NEUROLOGICAL TOXICITIES
BLINCYTO is contraindicated in patients with a known hypersensitivity to blinatumomab or to any component of the product formulation.
Warnings and Precautions
Dosage and Administration Guidelines
Please see full Prescribing Information and medication guide for BLINCYTO at http://www.BLINCYTO.com.
BeiGene is a global, commercial-stage biotechnology company focused on discovering, developing, manufacturing, and commercializing innovative medicines to improve treatment outcomes and access for patients worldwide. Our 4,700+ employees in China, the United States, Australia, Europe, and elsewhere are committed to expediting the development of a diverse pipeline of novel therapeutics. We currently market two internally discovered oncology products: BTK inhibitor BRUKINSA (zanubrutinib) in the United States and China, and anti-PD-1 antibody tislelizumab in China. We also market or plan to market in China additional oncology products licensed from Amgen Inc., Celgene Logistics Srl, a Bristol Myers Squibb (BMS) company, and EUSA Pharma. To learn more about BeiGene, please visit http://www.beigene.com and follow us on Twitter at @BeiGeneUSA.
This press release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 and other federal securities laws, including statements regarding the commercialization and potential benefits of BLINCYTO; and BeiGenes plans and expectations for the commercialization of its and Amgens other oncology products and pipeline assets. Actual results may differ materially from those indicated in the forward-looking statements as a result of various important factors, including BeiGene's ability to demonstrate the efficacy and safety of its drug candidates; the clinical results for its drug candidates, which may not support further development or marketing approval; actions of regulatory agencies, which may affect the initiation, timing and progress of clinical trials and marketing approval; BeiGene's ability to achieve commercial success for its marketed products and drug candidates, if approved; BeiGene's ability to obtain and maintain protection of intellectual property for its technology and drugs; BeiGene's reliance on third parties to conduct drug development, manufacturing and other services; BeiGenes limited operating history and BeiGene's ability to obtain additional funding for operations and to complete the development and commercialization of its drug candidates; the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the Companys clinical development, commercial and other operations, as well as those risks more fully discussed in the section entitled Risk Factors in BeiGenes most recent quarterly report on Form 10-Q, as well as discussions of potential risks, uncertainties, and other important factors in BeiGene's subsequent filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. All information in this press release is as of the date of this press release, and BeiGene undertakes no duty to update such information unless required by law.
BLINCYTO and BiTE are registered trademarks of Amgen Inc.
1 Mayo Clinic. Acute lymphocytic leukemia. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/acute-lymphocytic-leukemia/symptoms-causes/syc-20369077
2 Baljevic M, Jabbour E, O'Brien S, Kantarjian HM (2016). "Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia".
3 Global Cancer Observatory. https://gco.iarc.fr/today/data/factsheets/populations/160-china-fact-sheets.pdf
4 Leukaemia Care. Relapse in Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia (ALL). https://media.leukaemiacare.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/Relapse-in-Acute-Lymphoblastic-Leukaemia-ALL-Web-Version.pdf
- 'Natural Killer Cells' and Other Promising Cancer Treatments - Barron's - April 18th, 2021
- Capturing the Pandemic Experience in Haiku Poetry - Duke Today - April 18th, 2021
- Chemotherapy for Prostate Cancer: When It's Used and What to Expect - Healthline - April 18th, 2021
- Signs that Chemo Is Working: How Effectiveness Is Measured and Defined - Healthline - April 18th, 2021
- Some experts fear next-generation Covid vaccines may be worse - STAT - April 18th, 2021
- How Long is Chemotherapy? What to Expect - Healthline - April 18th, 2021
- Regenerative Medicine - Stem Cell Therapy Little Rock - March 8th, 2021
- Center for Stem Cell Biology & Regenerative Medicine ... - March 8th, 2021
- Dynamic Stem Cell Therapy Offers Regenerative Medicine - Las Vegas Review-Journal - March 8th, 2021
- Anti-EGFR VHH-armed death receptor ligandengineered allogeneic stem cells have therapeutic efficacy in diverse brain metastatic breast cancers -... - March 8th, 2021
- Research Antibodies Market Size to Reach USD 5325.8 Million by 2027 | Increasing R&D Activities in the Fields of Oncology, Neurobiology, and Stem... - March 8th, 2021
- Microwave Processing Isolates Red Ginseng Compounds That Suppress Lung Cancer Metastasis - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - March 8th, 2021
- Longeveron Expands Enrollment Criteria for its Phase 1 RECOVER Trial Evaluating Lomecel-B Infusion to Treat Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome due to... - March 8th, 2021
- Be The Match BioTherapies Announces Expansion of Multi-Year Strategic Alliance with Orchard Therapeutics to Support European Commercial Launch of... - March 8th, 2021
- Autologous Stem Cell and Non-Stem Cell Based Therapies Market 2021: Focuses at the key worldwide companies to Define, Describe and Analyses the sales... - March 8th, 2021
- Editing Reproduction: CRISPR and preventing heritable diseases, With Dr. Dietrich Egli and Dr. Sam Sternberg - Columbia University Irving Medical... - March 8th, 2021
- U. Cancer Center pilot projects: investigating cancer connections - The Brown Daily Herald - March 8th, 2021
- COVID-19 can kill heart muscle cells, interfere with contraction Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis - Washington University School... - March 8th, 2021
- Vaccinating by age groups is unfair, particularly to minorities, advisory panel tells CDC - USA TODAY - March 8th, 2021
- Winter Weather Impacting Blood and Platelet Donations - Milwaukee Community Journal - February 17th, 2021
- Joshua Shirk continues to fight the odds; mom says God placed people where they needed to be to help him - Keyser Mineral Daily News Tribune - February 17th, 2021
- Evotec and Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf Enter Partnership to Develop iPSC-Based Tissue Therapy for Heart Failure - GuruFocus.com - February 7th, 2021
- ProgenCell - Stem Cell Therapies offers an updated Stem Cell Therapy for Anti Aging Protocol - PR Web - January 30th, 2021
- Doctors urge immunocompromised to get COVID vaccine when it becomes available - KMTV - 3 News Now - January 30th, 2021
- Autologous Stem Cell and Non Stem Based therapies Market Share, Size 2021 Global Industry Future Trends, Growth, Strategies,, Segmentation, In-depth... - January 30th, 2021
- Studies Indicating T-Cells May Be Needed For Long-Term Protection From The SARS-Cov-2 Virus - PRNewswire - January 30th, 2021
- Researchers use patients' cells to test gene therapy for rare eye disease - National Institutes of Health - January 30th, 2021
- Two Gene Therapies Fix Fault in Sickle Cell Disease and -thalassemia - MD Magazine - January 30th, 2021
- If I Have Cancer, Dementia or MS, Should I Get the Covid Vaccine? - Kaiser Health News - January 30th, 2021
- L-MIND Trial Results Show CD19 Antibody Is Reasonable in R/R DLBCL - Targeted Oncology - January 30th, 2021
- Profile of T Cells, Broadly Neutralizing Antibodies, Anti-Viral Targets: COVID-19 Updates - Bio-IT World - January 30th, 2021
- HealthLynked's The Future of Healthcare Summit Brings Healthcare Experts and Technology Innovators from Around the World to Naples, Florida - WFMZ... - January 30th, 2021
- Tevogen Bio Secures Funding from Team of Doctors to Support Clinical Trials of Its Investigational Curative T Cell Therapy for COVID-19 - PRNewswire - January 25th, 2021
- Novel Treatment Leads to Dog's Recovery - The Bark - January 25th, 2021
- Identification and Targeting of ThomsenFriedenreich and IL1RAP | OTT - Dove Medical Press - January 25th, 2021
- Regenerative Medicine Market Size Worth $74831.35 Million With CAGR of 22.27% By 2024 | Segmented by Product Type, Top Manufacturers, By End-User... - January 25th, 2021
- Immunotherapy Inches Forward in Development of Myeloid Malignancies - OncLive - January 14th, 2021
- Cytovia Therapeutics Partners with National Cancer Institute to Develop Novel Gene-Edited, iPSC-Derived GPC3 CAR NK Cells for the Treatment of Solid... - January 14th, 2021
- Kaleido Biosciences Announces Positive Interim Results of Controlled Study of KB109 in Patients with Mild-to-Moderate COVID-19 - BioSpace - January 14th, 2021
- Doctors Make Medical Breakthrough In Treating Severe Cases Of COVID - CBS San Francisco - January 9th, 2021
- Mana joins the hectic fight against solid tumors with an 'off-the-shelf' candidate angling for an IND this year - Endpoints News - January 9th, 2021
- Versiti Blood Centers and Noodles & Company Serve Up Thanks to Blood Donors - PRNewswire - December 31st, 2020
- Global CAR-T Pipeline Insight Report 2020: Overview, Landscape, Therapeutic Assessment, Current Treatment Scenario and Emerging Therapies -... - December 31st, 2020
- 2020 health care year in review - Crain's Cleveland Business - December 31st, 2020
- The Top 10 FDA Oncology Drug Approvals of 2020 - Curetoday.com - December 31st, 2020
- Gut microbiota: How does it interact with the brain? - Medical News Today - December 31st, 2020
- Numerous Indian American STEM Researchers Named Fellows of American Association for the Advancement of Sciences - India West - December 31st, 2020
- Four years after devastating spinal injury, former St. Paul's football player reunites with caregivers - NOLA.com - December 24th, 2020
- New Combination Therapy Tested By Children's May Offer Hope For Leukemia Patients - WVXU - December 24th, 2020
- Real-time observation helpful in Stem cell for vascular diseases: Study - Hindustan Times - December 21st, 2020
- NurOwn May Be Given to Early ALS Patients in US Who Finished Phase... - ALS News Today - December 21st, 2020
- Follow the Money: Spatial Omics, CAR-NK Cells, AI-Powered Biology - Bio-IT World - December 21st, 2020
- Explained: Process of transporting stem cell from donor to patient for a successful transplant - Firstpost - December 18th, 2020
- Research That Saves Lives: Four COVID-19 Therapies Being Tested at UVA - University of Virginia - December 18th, 2020
- Even if You've Had COVID-19 You Still Need the Vaccine - Healthline - December 18th, 2020
- What Patients With Cancer, Survivors Need to Know About the Emergency Use Authorization of COVID-19 Vaccine - Curetoday.com - December 16th, 2020
- 2020 at the U: The year in review - University of Miami - December 16th, 2020
- Five Mobile County hospitals to get Pfizer vaccine this week - AL.com - December 16th, 2020
- Donor Stem Cell Transplant Improves Survival in Older Patients with Myelodysplastic Syndrome - Cancer Health Treatment News - December 10th, 2020
- Positive Phase 2 Proof-of-Concept Data for Viralym-M and Burden of Disease Data Presented in Oral Presentations at the 62nd American Society of... - December 10th, 2020
- Dr. Kansagra: Quadruplet Therapy for Newly Diagnosed Multiple Myeloma and Combination CAR T-Cell Opportunities - DocWire News - December 10th, 2020
- Silicon Therapeutics Announces Members of Scientific Advisory Board - Business Wire - December 10th, 2020
- Israeli Neurogenesis' NG-01 slows progressive MS by up to 90% in phase II study - BioWorld Online - December 10th, 2020
- ADC Therapeutics Announces Updated Clinical Data on Lead Antibody Drug Conjugate Programs Loncastuximab Tesirine (Lonca) and Camidanlumab Tesirine... - December 10th, 2020
- Magenta Therapeutics Announces Commencement of First Phase 2 Clinical Trial of MGTA-145 for Stem Cell Mobilization, Oral Presentation of MGTA-145... - December 8th, 2020
- Precigen Presents New Data Supporting the Safety, Clinical Activity, Expansion and Persistence of PRGN-3006 UltraCAR-T at the 62nd ASH Annual Meeting... - December 8th, 2020
- ALLO-715, Off-the-Shelf CAR T-Cell Therapy, Produces Early Promise in Multiple Myeloma - Cancer Network - December 8th, 2020
- Rocket Pharmaceuticals Presents Positive Clinical Data from its Fanconi Anemia and Leukocyte Adhesion Deficiency-I Programs at the 62nd American... - December 8th, 2020
- Negrin Shines Light on the Orca-T Story in GVHD - OncLive - December 8th, 2020
- Preliminary Results from NexImmune's Phase 1/2 Trial of NEXI-001 in AML Presented at 62nd ASH Annual Meeting and Exposition - GlobeNewswire - December 8th, 2020
- Sutro Biopharma Presents Data from Ongoing Phase 1 Dose-Escalation Study for STRO-001 for the Treatment of B-cell Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma at the 62nd... - December 8th, 2020
- Data from the ANDROMEDA Study Show Hematologic Response for DARZALEX FASPRO (daratumumab and hyaluronidase-fihj) in Newly Diagnosed Light Chain (AL)... - December 8th, 2020
- US FDA Approves Naxitamab for the Treatment of Neuroblastoma - OncoZine - November 29th, 2020
- Coronavirus treatments and vaccines. Here are the latest developments - San Francisco Chronicle - November 29th, 2020
- Dr Apar Kishor Ganti Outlines the Effectiveness of Lurbinectedin and Benefits Over Competition - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - November 26th, 2020
- Commonly used antibiotic shows promise for combating Zika infections - National Institutes of Health - November 26th, 2020
- A real life Superman celebrates 5 years of survival from one of the deadliest cancers - Newswise - November 26th, 2020
- Global Cell Harvesting Market to Reach US$381,4 Million by the Year 2027 - Salamanca Press - November 26th, 2020
- Tanya Siddiqi, MD, Discusses the Promise of Reduced Toxicity With Liso-Cel - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - November 26th, 2020
- Tetracycline-based Antibiotics Show Promise for Combating Zika Infections - Global Biodefense - November 26th, 2020