Two venture-backed startups that have developed technologies intended to speed up the drug discovery and development process are combining those tools in a bid to achieve their goals together.
San Francisco-based Atomwise has developed deep learning techniques for use in structure-based small molecule drug discovery. Since 2012 it has raised more than $50 million to bolster the development and application of its tech, which has been used by pharmaceutical and agrochemical companies, as well as by universities and hospitals across 40 countries. It says its computational tools can quickly analyze billions of compounds and thereby speed up the process of identifying compounds that bind to disease-causing proteins.
Stemonix, which has offices in Maple Grove, MN, and in San Diego, has developed models for testing potential drugs from human induced pluripotent stem cells, creating what it calls living microtissues to mimic human organs, including the brain and heart. The startup reported raising a $14.4 million Series B earlier this year to speed the commercialization of its platforms. Its MicroOrgans technology provides 3D disease models that the company hopes will give researchers a more accurate indication of whether compounds are likely to work in humans.
This is especially difficult to determine when it comes to finding drugs that work on rare neurological diseases, which are tricky to replicate in animal models because of the complexity of the human brain, according to Stemonix.
Atomwise has struck a number of deals with biotech and pharma companies interested in its tech, including Atropos Therapeutics, Hansoh Pharma, and Eli Lilly (NYSE: LLY). Financial terms of this latest deal werent disclosed.
The companies plan to use Atomwises AI and Stemonixs human MicroBrain 3D disease model to target Rett syndrome, a severe neurological disorder caused by mutations in the MECP2 gene. The gene encodes a protein thats needed for the development of the nervous system and normal brain function. Babies with the condition, most often infant girls, typically develop normally for the first 6 to 18 months of life before symptoms kick in. Then, they experience a progressive loss of motor skills and speech.
Some medications are used to ameliorate their symptoms, but no FDA-approved treatment exists. A number of companies are in human testing with experimental drugs for the condition.
Those in late-stage testing include Newron Pharmaceuticals, which is developing an experimental drug called sarizotan that aims to reduce patients episodes of apnea, or breathing disturbances, and San Diegos Acadia Pharmaceuticals, which last year licensed trofinetide, an investigational treatment targeting the disease, from Australias Neuren Pharmaceuticals.
The UKs GW Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: GWPH) is studying non-psychoactive parts of cannabis, including cannabidiol and cannabidivarin, as potential treatments.
Novartis (NYSE: NVS) subsidiary AveXis is also advancing a gene therapy for Rett, but in August said that its advancement to human testing would be delayed so it could redo and add to preclinical studies. The decision was made following revelations that some of the animal data the company submitted to the FDA in support of onasemnogene abeparvovec (Zolgensma), the gene therapy it developed for babies with spinal muscular atrophy, had been manipulated. Novartis acquired AveXis in 2018.
Sarah de Crescenzo is an Xconomy editor based in San Diego. You can reach her at email@example.com.
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Key Players, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, Analysis And Forecast 2025 - Science In Me - April 9th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market in 2020: Industry Overview on Global Size, Share, Future Trends, Segmentation, Demands, and Top Players... - April 9th, 2020
- Evotec Makes Move into Gene Therapy with Takeda... - Labiotech.eu - April 9th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell Research Pros And Cons ... - April 2nd, 2020
- Evotec Expands Its IPSC-Based Cell Therapy Platform Evocells Through Licensing Agreement with panCella - Benzinga - April 2nd, 2020
- Citius Signs Option With Novellus To License Novel Stem-Cell Therapy For ARDS - Nasdaq - April 2nd, 2020
- Anti-IL-6 Monoclonal Antibodies as Antiarrhythmic Treatment for HF - The Cardiology Advisor - April 2nd, 2020
- A New NK Cell-based Immunotherapy For Cancer Treatment - Health News Today - March 24th, 2020
- Coriell Institute for Medical Research Awarded $8.6 Million Biobanking Contract from National Institute on Aging - Newswise - March 18th, 2020
- Stem cells to help the heart - Science Magazine - March 12th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Expected to Witness the Highest Growth 202 - ITResearchBrief.com - March 12th, 2020
- SpaceX Dragon cargo ship, the last to be caught by robot arm, arrives at space station - Space.com - March 11th, 2020
- Notice of Capital and Business Alliance between Heartseed and MEDIPAL HOLDINGS | DNA RNA and Cells | News Channels - PipelineReview.com - March 11th, 2020
- NanoSurface Bio Executes Exclusive License of Heart-on-Chip Technology Launched Into Space - Business Wire - March 9th, 2020
- Eye health: Testing the safety of stem cell therapy for age-related macular degeneration - Open Access Government - March 9th, 2020
- Despite Pro-Life Claims, Stem Cell Therapy Has Very Real Benefits and Should Be Accessible - Patheos - March 6th, 2020
- Little Tissue, Big Mission: Beating Heart Tissues to Ride Aboard The ISS - Newswise - March 4th, 2020
- SpaceX set to launch Falcon 9 rocket and Dragon capsule from Cape Canaveral this week - Florida Today - March 4th, 2020
- SpaceX Targeting March 6 for Launch of its 20th Resupply Mission to International Space Station | - SpaceCoastDaily.com - February 29th, 2020
- The European Bank of Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells: Five Years of Progress - Technology Networks - February 28th, 2020
- New study identifies trigger that turns dormant cancer stem cells into active ones - PR Web - February 26th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market in 2020: Global Industry Size, Demand, Growth & Development, Trends, Insights and Forecast until... - February 25th, 2020
- Improving shoes, showers, 3D printing: research launching to the Space Station - Space Daily - February 21st, 2020
- Argentinian cultured meat supplier on its 'all-in-one' cell line: 'We offer cells that can grow fast and reduce costs' - FoodNavigator-Latam - February 20th, 2020
- Building a 'doomsday vault' to save the kangaroo and koala from extinction - CNET - February 19th, 2020
- Surge in the Adoption of Stem Cell-Derived Cells to Fuel the Growth of the Stem Cell-Derived Cells Market Through the Assessment Period 2019 2029 -... - February 17th, 2020
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market to Achieve more Profitability Ratio between 2020-2025 - Chronicle 99 - February 16th, 2020
- Cell-based meat in focus: In conversation with Meatable, Finless Foods, New Age Meats - FoodNavigator-USA.com - February 11th, 2020
- Research could be step toward lab-grown eggs and sperm to treat... - ScienceBlog.com - February 10th, 2020
- First dual stem cell therapy jointly developed by City University of Hong Kong brings new hope for cardiac repair - QS WOW News - February 10th, 2020
- Chromatin accessibility analysis reveals regulatory dynamics of developing human retina and hiPSC-derived retinal organoids - Science Advances - February 10th, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics to Collaborate with University of California, Irvine on Neural Stem Cell Research Program for Huntingtons Disease and Other... - February 4th, 2020
- 2020 Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Study: Global Markets, Technologies, Applications and Companies - Yahoo Finance - February 2nd, 2020
- Can Parkinsons be prevented as it stealthily develops? - Big Think - February 2nd, 2020
- Unpicking the proteome in single cells - Science Magazine - February 2nd, 2020
- Kyoto University team gets OK from ministry for plan to transplant iPS-derived cartilage into knee joints - The Japan Times - January 25th, 2020
- The Kyoto University team's plan to transplant iPS cartilage into knee joints is OK - gotech daily - January 25th, 2020
- Get rid of the ache within the nerves discovered with the following pointers, learn - Sahiwal Tv - January 25th, 2020
- Astellas and Adaptimmune team up in CAR-T development - European Biotechnology - January 15th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Rising Demand for Digitization in Organizations and Growth till 2027 - Galus Australis - January 15th, 2020
- Allele and Astellas Enter into an Expanded License for the Development of iPSC Lines - Yahoo Finance - January 15th, 2020
- Researchers have managed to bio-print a functional mini-liver in 90 days - FLWL News - January 15th, 2020
- CYTOVIA Therapeutics and the New York Stem Cell Foundation Research Institute enter into a partnership to develop iPSC derived CAR NK Therapeutics -... - January 10th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Segmentation and Analysis Report, 2025 - Food & Beverage Herald - January 10th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Robust Growth Counted to 2025 - Instanews247 - January 10th, 2020
- The Top Biotech Trends We'll Be Watching in 2020 - Singularity Hub - January 10th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Structure, Industry Inspection, and Forecast 2025 - Filmi Baba - December 28th, 2019
- Top Technical Advances of 2019 - The Scientist - December 24th, 2019
- The next 3D-printing craze? It could be functioning 'mini-livers' - Inverse - December 24th, 2019
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market: Latest Innovations, Drivers and Industry Key Events 2016 2021 - Market Reports Observer - December 24th, 2019
- Stem Cell-Derived Cells Market Expected to Expand at a Steady CAGR through 2019 2029 - Downey Magazine - December 17th, 2019
- AgeX Therapeutics and Lineage Cell Therapeutics Announce Issuance of U.S. Patent for Method of Generating Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells - Yahoo... - December 11th, 2019
- Patent Granted To Lineage & AgeX - Anti Aging News - December 11th, 2019
- Charles River Announces Strategic Partnership with Bit Bio, Increasing Portfolio of Translational Drug Discovery Technologies - BioSpace - December 11th, 2019
- Fate Therapeutics Presents its First Off-the-shelf, iPSC-derived CAR T-Cell Cancer Immunotherapy Program at ASH Annual Meeting - GlobeNewswire - December 11th, 2019
- Fate Therapeutics Announces New Preclinical Data for FT596 Off-the-Shelf, iPSC-derived CAR NK Cell Cancer Immunotherapy - Benzinga - December 8th, 2019
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Assessed To Tell Apart High Growth By Implies In 2018 to 2026 - Wolf Mirror - December 5th, 2019
- Kyoto University Seeking To Use Stem Cells On Knee Treatment - Anti Aging News - December 5th, 2019
- Story of a 15-year old scientist: How it all began - EuroScientist - December 5th, 2019
- Channel in Nerve Cell May be Key in Unlocking Parkinson Disease Therapy - Pharmacy Times - December 3rd, 2019
- First-in-kind Human 3-dimensional Models of Parkinson's Disease and Progressive Multiple Sclerosis Launching to the International Space Station -... - December 3rd, 2019
- Stem Cells Market 2019 Global Growth Analysis and Forecast Report by 2025 - Markets Gazette 24 - November 26th, 2019
- UK animal experiment statistics indicate reluctance to embrace modern tools to advance British labs into the 21st century - Labmate Online - November 10th, 2019
- Human heart cells change during spaceflight, say scientists in study that could have far-reaching effects on c - MEAWW - November 7th, 2019
- Here's Why Fate Therapeutics Dropped as Much as 19.9% Today - Motley Fool - November 7th, 2019
- Space travel may change the human heart - Inverse - November 7th, 2019
- Allogene Therapeutics and Notch Therapeutics Announce Collaboration to Research and Develop Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell (iPSC)-Derived Allogeneic... - November 5th, 2019
- Goldfinch Bio to Present Oral and Poster Presentations at the American Society of Nephrology Kidney Week 2019 Annual Meeting - BioSpace - November 5th, 2019
- MD Anderson and Takeda Team Up on Next-Generation Immuno-Oncology Therapeutics - BioSpace - November 5th, 2019
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell Market is expected to witness a strong CAGR of 7.0% from 2018 to 2026 - Zebvo - November 2nd, 2019
- Can organoids, derived from stem cells, be used in disease treatments? - The Hindu - October 26th, 2019
- University team to seek approval for iPS-based heart treatment trial - The Japan Times - October 26th, 2019
- Global Gemcitabine Hydrochloride Market: Segmented By Application And Geography Trends, Growth And Forecasts To 2024 - Health News Office - October 26th, 2019
- Global consortium formed to combat unproven cell banking services - Drug Target Review - October 22nd, 2019
- Bloomberg Philanthropies, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, and The New York Stem Cell Foundation Research Institute Announce an... - October 22nd, 2019
- ISCT forms cell and gene therapy sector-wide coalition to combat the rise of unproven commercial cell banking services - PharmiWeb.com - October 21st, 2019
- Mutations Linked to Huntington's Increase Cells' Resistance to Manganese, Study Finds - Huntington's Disease News - October 15th, 2019
- Stem Cells Market : Insights Into the Competitive Scenario of the Market - Online News Guru - October 11th, 2019
- 'Rewind Therapeutics' and Remyelination - SciTech Europa - October 11th, 2019
- Cell Expansion Market is expected to rise at a remarkable CAGR during the Forecast Period 2016 2024 - Space Market Research - October 9th, 2019