Genome-wide association studies have uncovered more than 500 genetic variants linked to heart function, everything from heart rate to irregular rhythms that can lead to stroke, heart failure or other complications. But since most of these variations fall into areas of the genome that dont encode proteins, exactly how they influence heart function has remained unclear.
By examining heart cells derived from the skin samples of seven family members, researchers at University of California San Diego School of Medicine have now discovered that many of these genetic variations influence heart function because they affect the binding of a protein called NKX2-5.
NKX2-5 is a transcription factor, meaning it helps turn on and off genes in this case, genes involved in heart development. To do this, NKX2-5 must bind to non-coding regions of the genome. Thats where genetic variation comes in.
NKX2-5 binds to many different places in the genome near heart genes, so it makes sense that variation in the factor itself or the DNA to which it binds would affect that function, said senior author Kelly A. Frazer, PhD, professor of pediatrics and director of the Institute for Genomic Medicine at UC San Diego School of Medicine. As a result, we are finding that multiple heart-related traits can share a common mechanism in this case, differential binding of NKX2-5 due to DNA variants.
The study started with skin samples from seven people from three generations of a single family. The researchers converted the skin cells into induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs) as an intermediary. Like all stem cells, iPSCs can both self-renew, making more iPSCs, and differentiate into a specialized cell type. With the right cocktail of molecules and growth factors, the researchers directed iPSCs into becoming heart cells.
These heart cells actually beat in the laboratory dish, and still bear the genetic and molecular features of the individuals from which they were derived.
Frazer and team conducted a genome-wide analysis of these patient-derived heart cells. They determined that NKX2-5 can bind approximately 38,000 sites in the genome. Of those, 1,941 genetic variants affected NKX2-5 binding. The researchers investigated the role of those variants in heart gene function and heart-related traits. One of the genetic variants was associated with the SCN5A gene, which encodes the main channel through which sodium is transported in heart cells.
Since related individuals tend to share similar genetic variants, the team was able to validate their findings by analyzing the same variants in multiple samples.
People typically need a large number of samples to detect the effects of common DNA variants, so we were surprised that we were able to identify with high confidence these effects on NKX2-5 binding at so many sites across the genome with just few people, said first author Paola Benaglio, PhD, a postdoctoral researcher in Frazers lab.
Yet, she said, this finding may just be the tip of the iceberg.
There are probably a lot more genetic variants in the genome involved with NKX2-5 as well as with other important cardiac transcription factors, Frazer said. We identified almost 2,000 in this study, but thats probably only a fraction of what really exists because we were only looking at seven people in a single family and only at one transcription factor. There are probably many more variants in gene regulation sites across the entire population.
Not only does the team plan to further investigate cardiovascular genetics, but they also have their sights set on other organ systems.
We are now expanding this same model system to look at many different transcription factors, across different tissue types, such as pancreas and retina epithelia, and scaling it up to include more families, Benaglio said.
Benalgio, P. et al. (2019)Allele-specific NKX2-5 binding underlies multiple genetic associations with human electrocardiographic traits. Nature Genetics. DOI:https://doi.org/10.1038/s41588-019-0499-3
This article has been republished from the following materials. Note: material may have been edited for length and content. For further information, please contact the cited source.
Read more from the original source:
Skin-Derived Heart Cells Help Uncover the Genetic Foundations of Cardiac Function - Technology Networks
- Repairing the Brain With Stem Cells? A Conversation With Prof. Jack Price - Being Patient - December 3rd, 2020
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Size, Comprehensive Analysis, Development Strategy, Future Plans and Industry Growth with High CAGR by... - December 3rd, 2020
- Industry Verticals: Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSC) Market Latest and updated Scope and Application 2020-2027 - The Blend - December 3rd, 2020
- Bayer Launches Cell and Gene Therapy Platform to Maximize Recent Acquisitions - PharmaLive - December 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Size on Target to Reach US$ 17.79 Billion 2027 - Cheshire Media - December 3rd, 2020
- Bayer establishes Cell and Gene Therapy Platform to accelerate pharmaceutical innovation | More News | News Channels - PipelineReview.com - December 3rd, 2020
- Growing Value of Stem Cells in Medicine to Create a US$2,4 Billion Opportunity for Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell ((iPSC) - GlobeNewswire - November 27th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market New Research Study Report with Size, Share, Trends, Emerging Applications, Opportunities and Worldwide Analysis... - November 27th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market Applications, Types and Future Ou - News by aeresearch - November 27th, 2020
- Research Paper Showing ProtoKinetix AAGP Enhanced Stem Cell Derived Retina Precursor Cells Restoration of Vision - Business Wire - November 27th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market 2020: Enhanced Growth, Recent Trends and Major Companies are Fujifilm Holding Corporation, Astellas Pharma, Fate... - November 27th, 2020
- The Stem Cell-Derived Cells market to Scale new heights in the next decade - Khabar South Asia - November 27th, 2020
- Astronaut Soichi Noguchi still adapting to life on ISS - The Japan Times - November 27th, 2020
- Potential new therapies for Alzheimer's disease are revealed through network modeling of its complex molecular interactions - Science Codex - November 27th, 2020
- Global Induced Pluripotent Market To Perceive Biggest Trend And Opportunity With Key Players CELGENE CORPORATION; Astellas Pharma Inc.; Thermo Fisher... - November 22nd, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Banking Market 2020: Overview, Trends, Opportunities, Impact of Drivers, Key Vendors, Types, Applications, Forecast by Focusing... - November 22nd, 2020
- Thanyapura, StemCells21 to offer premium stem cell treatments in Thailand - BSA bureau - November 20th, 2020
- Neurons stripped of their identity are hallmark of Alzheimer's disease, study finds - National Science Foundation - November 20th, 2020
- Fred Hutch at ASH: Fauci fireside chat, latest on cell therapies, repairing immune function, COVID and clots and more - Newswise - November 20th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Value Expected To Reach $17.79 Billion By 2027 - Eurowire - November 20th, 2020
- How regenerative medicine could be used to contain COVID-19, others - Guardian - November 20th, 2020
- The Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market To Witness Fierce Competition Amongst The Key Players - KYT24 - November 18th, 2020
- at ASH: Fauci fireside chat, latest on cell therapies, repairing immune function, COVID and clots and more - Fred Hutch News Service - November 18th, 2020
- Neurons stripped of their identity are hallmark of Alzheimers disease, study finds - Newswise - November 18th, 2020
- Genetic influences on viral-induced cytokine responses in the lung - DocWire News - November 18th, 2020
- Japanese and U.S. astronauts arrive at ISS in SpaceX ship - The Japan Times - November 18th, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics Reports Third Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Provides Business Update - BioSpace - November 18th, 2020
- Coadministration of endothelial and smooth muscle cells derived from human induced pluripotent stem cells as a therapy for critical limb ischemia -... - November 12th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market Size, Drivers, Potential Growth Opportunities, Competitive Landscape, Trends And Forecast To 2027 -... - November 12th, 2020
- Proteintech and HebeCell Announce Collaboration on Nanobody iPSC-derived Natural Killer Cells - BioSpace - November 12th, 2020
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Analysis Trends, Growth Opportunities, Size, Type, Dynamic Demand and Drives with Forecast to 2026 -... - November 12th, 2020
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market Share & Size, Future Growth, Trends Evaluation, Demands, Regional Analysis and Forecast to 2027| Merck Group,... - November 12th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Comprehensive Insights, Growth, Forecast and Covid-19 Impact by 2026 | Medipost Co. Ltd., Ocata Therapeutics... - November 12th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Industry Market 2020 Global Trends, Key Players, Share, Growth, Analysis, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 -... - October 31st, 2020
- The Stem Cell-Derived Cells market to be in conjunction to growth from 2020 to 2030 - PRnews Leader - October 31st, 2020
- In Vitro Toxicology Testing Market: Facts, Figures and Analytical Insights, 2018 to 2024 - Aerospace Journal - October 31st, 2020
- Bayer Acquires AskBio to Expand Gene Therapy Platform - PharmaLive - October 31st, 2020
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market 2020 with COVID-19 After Effects Growth Drivers, Top Key Players, Industry Segments and Forecast... - October 29th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market 2019 | How The Industry Will Witness Substantial Growth In The Upcoming Years | Exclusive Report By... - October 29th, 2020
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Analysis by Size: 2025, Impact of Covid-19 on Industry Chain, Market Growth, Drivers | Business Overview... - October 29th, 2020
- The Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market To Witness A Major Breakthrough In The Form Of A Double-Digit CAGR Of 7% - KYT24 - October 29th, 2020
- Emulate Signs Collaborative Agreement with the FDA to Apply Lung-Chip to Evaluate Safety of COVID-19 Vaccines and Protective Immunity Against... - October 29th, 2020
- QurAlis Announces Appointment of New Chief Medical Officer and Formation of Clinical Advisory Board - BioSpace - October 29th, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics Sublicenses Stem Cell Line ESI-053 to ImStem Biotechnology for Development of Cell Therapy Candidate IMS001 for COVID-19 and Acute... - October 29th, 2020
- Bayer Acquires AskBio for Up to $4 Billion to Expand Gene Therapy Platform - BioSpace - October 29th, 2020
- How Will the Virus Epidemic Cause Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market 2020 - The Think Curiouser - October 24th, 2020
- Trends in the Ready To Use Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market 2020-2020 - Eurowire - October 24th, 2020
- Stem Cell-Derived Cells Market to Expand at a Healthy CAGR of XX% Between and 2019 2029 - Eurowire - October 24th, 2020
- The Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market To Mark Robustness In The Form Of A Robust CAGR - KYT24 - October 23rd, 2020
- COVID-19 can affect the heart - Science Magazine - October 23rd, 2020
- Kobe Hospital Trials Transplant to Reverse Blindness A First in the World - JAPAN Forward - October 23rd, 2020
- Rethinking the Link between Cannabinoids and Learning - Lab Manager Magazine - October 23rd, 2020
- Cold sore virus can spread to unborn babies harming their brains, docs warn - The Sun - October 23rd, 2020
- Microscopy Beyond the Resolution Limit - Lab Manager Magazine - October 21st, 2020
- AMSBIO Launches New Human iPSC-Derived Cells and iPSC Differentiation Reagent Kits - Technology Networks - October 20th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market To Grow At 7% YOY In Forecast Years 2026 - The Think Curiouser - October 20th, 2020
- Groundbreaking eye surgery in Kobe offers hope to sight impaired : The Asahi Shimbun - Asahi Shimbun - October 20th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Industry 2020 Includes The Major Application Segments And Size In The Global Market To 2026 - PRnews Leader - October 16th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market 2020 Is Slated to Grow Rapidly in the Forthcoming Years with Key Players Addgene, Axol Bioscience, Cell... - October 16th, 2020
- Disruptive Technologies and Mature Regulatory Environment Vital for Cell Therapy Maturation - BioSpace - October 16th, 2020
- Novellus Therapeutics Exclusively Licenses Induced Mesenchymal Stem Cells (iMSCs) to NoveCite for COVID-19 Related Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome... - October 16th, 2020
- Brain organoids reveal neuronal flaws in syndrome tied to autism - Spectrum - October 16th, 2020
- Manufacturing a Personalized Cellular Universe: 3D Bioprinting in the Biotech Industry - BioSpace - October 16th, 2020
- Fate Therapeutics Announces Presentations at the 2020 Society for Immunotherapy of Cancer Annual Meeting - GlobeNewswire - October 16th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020: Trends, and Opportunity Analysis, Top Manufacturers And Forecast to 2027 - PRnews Leader - October 16th, 2020
- Cytovia Therapeutics partners with Inserm to develop selective CD38 NK therapeutics and offer new treatment options for Multiple Myeloma patients |... - October 8th, 2020
- Dolly the Sheep: '90s Media Sensation - Mental Floss - October 8th, 2020
- Regeneron, Pfizer and BioNTech Accused of Infringing Allele Patent in Connection with COVID-19 Technologies - IPWatchdog.com - October 8th, 2020
- Yufan inks deal with Abound to develop antibodies directing CAR T cells against cancer targets - BioWorld Online - October 7th, 2020
- Allele Biotechnology and Pharmaceuticals Files Two Lawsuits for Patent Infringement for the Unauthorized Use of mNeonGreen in Development and Testing... - October 7th, 2020
- Huge Investment in Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Expected to Witness the Highest Growth 2026 | Fujifilm Holding Corporation (CDI) Ncardia,... - October 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell-Derived Cells Market Forecasted To Surpass The Value Of US$ XX Mn/Bn By 2019 - 2029 - Stock Market Funda - October 3rd, 2020
- Kyoto University project aims to supply iPS cells widely at low cost - The Japan Times - September 29th, 2020
- ONLINE: The Future of Medicine - Isthmus - September 29th, 2020
- funded study sheds light on abnormal neural function in rare genetic disorder - National Institutes of Health - September 29th, 2020
- Stem Cell Market Potential Growth, Size, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Research Forecasts to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- The new pharma collaborations driving transformative research in oncology - - pharmaphorum - September 29th, 2020
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market 2020 Manufacturer Analysis, Technology Advancements, Industry Scope and Forecast to 2027||Fate... - September 21st, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market to Witness Huge Growth by 2025| Bone Therapeutics SA, System Biosciences, Axiogenesis, Regeneus Ltd.,... - September 14th, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market Report, History And Forecast 2020-2027, Breakdown Data By Manufacturers, Key Regions, Types And Application - Bulletin Line - September 11th, 2020