Groundbreaking research in stem cells has propelled scientists understanding of neurodegenerative diseases, including Parksinsons. Could stem cell therapies one day help cure Alzheimers?
Clinical trials of stem cell therapies are now underway to repair the damaged cells of people with Parkinsons disease and age-related macular degeneration. Being Patient spoke with Jack Price, professor of developmental neurobiology at Kings College London and author of the book The Future of Brain Repair, about the potential and challenges of repairing the brain with stem cell therapy.
Being Patient: What is stem cell therapy?
Prof. Jack Price: Its the transplantation of stem cells, either directly into the brain or in a way that gives them access to the brain and influence the brain, to bring about a therapeutic effect.
Being Patient: Are there stem cells in the brain?
Prof. Jack Price: For many years, neuroscientists didnt think there were stem cells in the brain. We now know there are. We know about a population [of stem cells] thats become very important in our understanding of Alzheimers disease and in mood disorders like anxiety and depression. These are stem cells that are found in a part of the brain called the hippocampus.
But by and large, the brain doesnt have stem cells, unlike skin and other tissues in the body. The blood is the classic [example]: Theres a population of stem cells in the bone marrow that regenerates blood all the time.
Being Patient: What makes stem cells so special and why are they a focus of research?
Prof. Jack Price: The definition of stem cells is a population of cells that gives rise to other types of cells. In neural stem cells, precursor cells can make adult brain cells, nerve cells, glial cells, all the different cell types that make up the brain. If you have a disease like Alzheimers or any other neurodegenerative disease, where we know the key pathology is the loss of nerve cells, your brain doesnt normally have the ability to replace those lost brain cells. The idea was [that] if you put stem cells where the loss of brain cells has taken place, maybe those stem cells would replace the lost cells.
Being Patient: What is the potential of stem cell therapy in treating neurodegenerative diseases?
Prof. Jack Price: Theres a piece of absolutely brilliant stem cell science that was done by Shinya Yamanaka in Kyoto in 2006. He showed you could effectively take any cell through a very straightforward genetic manipulation that he discovered, [and] turn them into what we call pluripotent stem cells, which are cells that can make any cell type in the body. They also have an ability that other stem cells generally dont: They can build tissue. If you grow them in a little culture dish, they can start to make little pieces of brain called organoids or cerebroids. This was a groundbreaking technology.
In Parkinsons disease, theres enormous progress and clinical trials are underway now. We know more about the pathology of Parkinsons disease [than in Alzheimers]. The pathology of Alzheimers turns out to be quite complex, and weve had, over the years, quite a few ideas about how it worked. But [turning] those into actual therapies hasnt quite worked as we expected, and we keep having to go back and rethink whats going on in Alzheimers.
The pathology of Parkinsons disease is also difficult. Its not trivial. But at the same time, one thing is clear: a lot of the pathology is associated with the loss of a particular population of nerve cells the midbrain dopaminergic cells. We can start with these pluripotent stem cells and make them make precisely the right type of dopaminergic cell that we know is lost in Parkinsons disease.
This is built on 30 [to] 40 years of research of people trying to find exactly the right cell type to work [with] in Parkinsons disease. They had some early success and fell backwards. But this technology looks much more precise than everything anybodys ever tried before.
In age-related macular degeneration, the disease of the eye where you lose your retinal photoreceptors, there are very clever strategies now where people are using these pluripotent stem cells to make a thing called a retinal pigment epithelium. It lies behind the retina, but its what supports the photoreceptors. It turns out, thats what goes wrong in age-related macular degeneration.
Being Patient: Are there any stem cell therapy approved to treat brain disorders?
Prof. Jack Price: There are no licensed stem cell therapy for any brain disorders anywhere in the world for the simple reason [that] nobody has shown one works. There are a lot of stem cell clinics in the U.S. and somewhat fewer elsewhere who are offering cell therapies that are untested. Theyll put stem cells into you for any disorder youve got. Those cell therapies do not work.
A lot of genuine companies are trying to get these cell therapies to work in clinical trials and falling flat on their face quite often, despite their best efforts. 90% of clinical trials fail, and thats clinical trials of conventional drugs by drug companies that know what theyre doing.
What do you suppose is the chance with a stem cell therapy [that] we dont really understand how it works, [that] we dont quite know how to manufacture it properly, [and that] we dont quite know what cells we really want, of working? The chance is almost zero. These companies know that, which is why theyre not going to clinical trials.
The interview has been edited for length and clarity.
Contact Nicholas Chan at email@example.com
- NIH awards nearly $2M to Huebsch for study | The Source - Washington University in St. Louis Newsroom - August 31st, 2021
- Shoreline Launches with $4 Billion in Partnerships PharmaLive - PharmaLive - August 31st, 2021
- Bone Therapeutics announces topline results from Phase III knee osteoarthritis study with its enhanced viscosupplement JTA-004 - GlobeNewswire - August 31st, 2021
- Roslin Tech in multi-million bid to fund sustainable food - HeraldScotland - August 31st, 2021
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Industry Analysis, Post COVID-19 Impact, Emerging Trends, Business Growth by 2027||Fate Therapeutics,... - July 22nd, 2021
- Bayer's BlueRock Therapeutics gains FDA fast track for Parkinson's disease cell therapy - PMLiVE - July 22nd, 2021
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell (iPSC) Market to Reach $2.3 Billion by 2026 - PRNewswire - July 7th, 2021
- Impact of NK cell-based therapeutics for Lung Cancer Therapy | BTT - Dove Medical Press - July 7th, 2021
- Caribou eyes $100M IPO as it aims off-the-shelf CAR-Ts at the clinic - FierceBiotech - July 7th, 2021
- Genexine, Toolgen to co-develop CAR-NK cell gene therapy - Korea Biomedical Review - July 7th, 2021
- Reversal of biological age detected in mouse and human embryos - BioNews - July 7th, 2021
- Century Therapeutics Announces Closing of Initial Public Offering and Full Exercise of Underwriters' Option to Purchase - GlobeNewswire - June 25th, 2021
- Univ. of Washington and Sana researchers use gene editing to prep stem cells for heart repair - GeekWire - June 25th, 2021
- Ubiquitination is essential for recovery of cellular activities after heat shock - Science Magazine - June 25th, 2021
- The CCL2-CCR2 astrocyte-cancer cell axis in tumor extravasation at the brain - Science Advances - June 25th, 2021
- Pharmacogenomic approach to cure the pain of the 'burning man' - Lab + Life Scientist - June 25th, 2021
- The Stem Cell Assay Market To Grow Through Mergers Amongst Market Participants The Courier - The Courier - June 25th, 2021
- Accelerated Biosciences' Immune-Privileged Human Trophoblast Stem Cells (hTSCs) Offer Breakthrough Opportunities in Cancer-Targeting Therapeutics and... - May 15th, 2021
- Study Models the Effect of Herpes Infection on Fetal Brain Development - Pharmacy Times - May 15th, 2021
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market is set for Lucrative Growth | Top Companies Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., FUJIFILM Corporation, KSU | The... - May 15th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market by Type, Therapeutic Application and Cell Source - Global Forecasts to 2026 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - May 15th, 2021
- Global Induced Pluripotent Market Showing Impressive Growth by 2027||Thermo Fisher Scientific; Cell Applications, Inc.; Axol Bioscience Ltd.;... - May 15th, 2021
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market 2020 Top Manufactures, Growth Opportunities and Investment Feasibility 2025 The Courier - The Courier - May 3rd, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market worth $401 million by 2026 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - PRNewswire - May 3rd, 2021
- Fate Therapeutics Announces Four Presentations at the 2021 ASGCT Annual Meeting - GlobeNewswire - May 3rd, 2021
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market 2021 Is Booming Across the Globe by Share, Size, Growth, Segments and Forecast to 2027 | Top Players... - May 3rd, 2021
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market 2021 Industry Size, Share, Growth and Top Companies Analysis- Fujifilm Holding Corporation (CDI),... - May 3rd, 2021
- A New CRISPR Tool Flips Genes On and Off Like a Light Switch - Singularity Hub - May 3rd, 2021
- Stem Cell Characterization Kits Market Report 2021 by Global Key Players, Types, Applications, Countries, Size, Forecast to 2027 Good News Gum - Good... - May 3rd, 2021
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Growth Opportunities, Analysis and Forecasts Report 2020-2026 with key players position (Fujifilm Holding... - February 17th, 2021
- Cytovia Therapeutics and Cellectis Partner to Develop TALEN Gene-Edited iPSC-Derived Natural Killer Cells - BioSpace - February 17th, 2021
- Can we freeze them? Yes we can, says Nkarta - Vantage - February 17th, 2021
- Global Induced Pluripotent Market Positive Outlook, Revenue Generation & Leading Manufacturers, Forecast 2026||CELGENE CORPORATION; Astellas... - February 17th, 2021
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Growth, Competitive Landscape, Research Methodology, Business Opportunities, Statistics and Industry Analysis... - February 17th, 2021
- Evotec and Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf Enter Partnership to Develop iPSC-Based Tissue Therapy f - PharmiWeb.com - February 4th, 2021
- Breakthrough stem cell therapy may reverse life-threatening conditions in dogs - Study Finds - February 4th, 2021
- SLAS Technology Special Collection on Artificial Intelligence in Process Automation Available Now - Newswise - February 4th, 2021
- Exacis Biotherapeutics Announces Key Addition To Its Executive Leadership Team With Dirk Huebner MD Joining As Chief Medical Officer - PRNewswire - February 4th, 2021
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market 2020 Global Share, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Regional Overview, Leading Company Analysis And Forecast... - February 4th, 2021
- Money on the Move: January 27 February 2 - BioSpace - February 4th, 2021
- Poultry Healthcare Products Market Share, Growth, Statistics, by Application, Production, Revenue & Forecast to 2025 - AlgosOnline - January 27th, 2021
- Impact Of Covid 19 On Stem Cells Industry 2020 Market Challenges, Business Overview And Forecast Research Study 2026 Murphy's Hockey Law - Murphy's... - January 27th, 2021
- SREBP1 suppresses the differentiation and epithelial function of hiPSC-derived endothelial cells by inhibiting the microRNA199b-5p pathway - DocWire... - January 25th, 2021
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Segmentation and Analysis by Latest Trends, Development and Growth by Trending Regions 2020 with key players... - January 25th, 2021
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market to Witness Massive Growth During 2021-2027 | Fujifilm Holding Corporation (CDI), Ncardia, Sumitomo... - January 25th, 2021
- Hands across the water as bio bonds stand test of time | Business Weekly - Business Weekly - January 25th, 2021
- Exercise mimetics and JAK inhibition attenuate IFN-induced wasting in engineered human skeletal muscle - Science Advances - January 25th, 2021
- Can Science Save the Northern White Rhino? - Freethink - January 25th, 2021
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market to Grow with an Impressive CAGR - Farming Sector - January 9th, 2021
- Accelerating cell-based therapies by providing safe therapeutic MSC products - BioSpace - January 9th, 2021
- Exacis Biotherapeutics Announces Its Launch and mRNA Technology In-Licensing For Targeted CAR-NK And CAR-T Cell Cancer Therapies | DNA RNA and Cells |... - January 9th, 2021
- Environmental Factor - January 2021: Intramural Papers of the Month - Environmental Factor Newsletter - January 9th, 2021
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market To Witness Huge Gains Over 2020-2026 - Factory Gate - December 28th, 2020
- Exosomes act as messengers and decoys to save healthy cells from viral infection - Massive Science - December 28th, 2020
- Scientists have restored youth to aging eyes in mice - Massive Science - December 21st, 2020
- Top Technical Advances of 2020 - The Scientist - December 21st, 2020
- A new psychedelic drug gives psychiatric benefits without causing hallucinations - Massive Science - December 21st, 2020
- I Peace, Inc. and Avery Therapeutics announce collaboration to bring iPSC derived cell therapy for heart failure to the clinic - PRNewswire - December 17th, 2020
- Network of Genes Involved in Congenital Heart Disease Identified - Technology Networks - December 17th, 2020
- Global Induced Pluripotent Market 2020-26 Steering Forces Heading Towards Impressive CAGR With CELGENE CORPORATION; Astellas Pharma Inc.; Thermo... - December 17th, 2020
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market Expectable to Exceed Global Market Revenue, Size, Segments and Market Competition Trend to... - December 14th, 2020
- Evotec and Sartorius Partner with Start-Up Curexsys on IPSC-Based Therapeutic Exosome Approach - BioSpace - December 9th, 2020
- Multiple gene edits and computer simulations could help treat rare genetic diseases - University of Wisconsin-Madison - December 9th, 2020
- Cytovia Therapeutics announces plans to initiate in 2021 Clinical Development of Universal iPSC NK Cell Therapy for Hematological and Solid Tumors -... - December 9th, 2020
- Fate Therapeutics Reports Positive Interim Data from its Phase 1 Study of FT516 in Combination with Rituximab for B-cell Lymphoma - GlobeNewswire - December 9th, 2020
- Constantly Growing Applications and Innovations to Push Sales of Amniotic Membrane Market Up To ~US$2.4 Bn by 2027, Observes TMR - PRNewswire - December 9th, 2020
- Tulane researcher shows enhanced therapeutic stem cell migration improves neurodegenerative disease - News from Tulane - December 8th, 2020
- Researchers restore lost sight in mice, offering clues to reversing aging - Science Magazine - December 8th, 2020
- Fate Therapeutics Reports Positive Interim Data from its Phase 1 Study of FT516 in Combination with Rituximab for B-cell Lymphoma | DNA RNA and Cells... - December 8th, 2020
- Bayer and Atara Biotherapeutics in CAR T-cell therapy deal - BioPharma-Reporter.com - December 8th, 2020
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Size, Comprehensive Analysis, Development Strategy, Future Plans and Industry Growth with High CAGR by... - December 3rd, 2020
- Industry Verticals: Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSC) Market Latest and updated Scope and Application 2020-2027 - The Blend - December 3rd, 2020
- Bayer Launches Cell and Gene Therapy Platform to Maximize Recent Acquisitions - PharmaLive - December 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Size on Target to Reach US$ 17.79 Billion 2027 - Cheshire Media - December 3rd, 2020
- Bayer establishes Cell and Gene Therapy Platform to accelerate pharmaceutical innovation | More News | News Channels - PipelineReview.com - December 3rd, 2020
- Growing Value of Stem Cells in Medicine to Create a US$2,4 Billion Opportunity for Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell ((iPSC) - GlobeNewswire - November 27th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market New Research Study Report with Size, Share, Trends, Emerging Applications, Opportunities and Worldwide Analysis... - November 27th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market Applications, Types and Future Ou - News by aeresearch - November 27th, 2020
- Research Paper Showing ProtoKinetix AAGP Enhanced Stem Cell Derived Retina Precursor Cells Restoration of Vision - Business Wire - November 27th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market 2020: Enhanced Growth, Recent Trends and Major Companies are Fujifilm Holding Corporation, Astellas Pharma, Fate... - November 27th, 2020