Genes that are normally silenced in the X-chromosome transition from an off to an on state at different speeds, an event that is dependent on the action of certain proteins and enzymes, according to a recent study.
These findings may one day help design a targeted therapeutic strategy for Rett syndrome and other X-chromosome-linked genetic disorders.
The study, Dynamic reversal of random X-Chromosome inactivation during iPSC reprogramming, was published in the journal Genome Research.
Rett syndrome is a rare genetic disorder that affects girls almost exclusively and is characterized by developmental and intellectual disabilities.The condition is caused by mutations in theMECP2 gene, located on the X chromosome, that provides instructions to make a protein called MeCP2. This protein is responsible for maintaining synapses, which are the junctions between nerve cells that allow them to communicate.
Women carry two X chromosomes one from the mother and one from the father while men carry only one, inherited from the mother. To ensure that all genes in the X chromosome are expressed equally in men and women, a process known as X-chromosome inactivation takes place during embryonic development, at which time one of the two X chromosomes carried by females is randomly selected to be inactivated.
A potential way to treat Rett syndrome and other X-chromosome-linked disorders is to devise a strategy to reactivate the healthy copy of the gene on the inactive X-chromosome. This reactivation would occur at the early stages of embryonic growth.
In the study, researchers at KU LeuvenUniversity of Leuven and colleagues used a type of stem cell called induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs). These cells are usually derived from adult skin cells (fibroblasts) and behave similarly to embryonic cells, meaning they can give rise to nearly any type of cell in the body.
The team used adult fibroblasts from female mice and reprogrammed them back into iPSCs. Of note, both X chromosomes are active in IPSCs, making these cells a valuable tool to study the mechanisms behind chromosome reactivation.
Working with iPS cells has numerous advantages. Most importantly, when you reprogram female adult cells into iPS cells, both X chromosomes become active again. In other words: X-chromosome reactivation starts happening right under your microscope, Vincent Pasque, assistant professor at KU LeuvenUniversity of Leuven and the studys lead author, said in a news release.
We monitored almost 200 different X-linked genes throughout the X-chromosome reactivation process. What we found is that reactivation happens gradually: different genes require different amounts of time to become active again, said Irene Talon, one of the studys authors.
The researchers found that some genes reactivated early (as early as day 8 after reprogramming), while others took longer. Intermediate genes were reactivated between day 8 and 10, and others between day 10 and 13 (called late genes), while some took longer than 13 days (which were called very late genes).
The reason for the different pace in reactivation, the researchers found, was that the early genes were located closer to genes that escape X-chromosome silencing.
Additionally, these early genes were richer in sites for the binding of transcription factors required for the transition of cells into iPSCs. Of note, transcription factors are proteins that help turn specific genes on or off by binding to nearby DNA.
Specifically, the researchers found that the reactivation timing was dependent on histone deacetylases, which are enzymes that label DNA to be silenced and work like barriers to gene activation.
Our findings suggest that the explanation for this speed difference is a combination of the location of the gene in 3D space on the X chromosome and the role of proteins (transcription factors), and enzymes (histone deacetylases), in particular, Talon added.
X-chromosome reactivation was accompanied by a decrease in the levels of an RNA molecule, called Xist, which is known to be involved in the silencing of the X-chromosome.
Overall, these findings suggest that reactivation of X-linked genes requires the combined action of different players information that is key for the development of possible future therapies for Rett syndrome.
Its important to remember that were talking about very fundamental research here. Contributing to the development of a cure for Rett syndrome and similar disorders is our long-term goal, but it will take us a while to get there, and there are many hurdles to overcome, Pasque said.
We still need to figure out how to use the mechanism for a single gene, how to do it safely in patients, and how to target the right cells in the brain. We do not yet know how to overcome these formidable challenges but we do know that gaining a fundamental understanding of how things work is the crucial first step, he added.
Thats how science works: its a slow process.
- Repairing the Brain With Stem Cells? A Conversation With Prof. Jack Price - Being Patient - December 3rd, 2020
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Size, Comprehensive Analysis, Development Strategy, Future Plans and Industry Growth with High CAGR by... - December 3rd, 2020
- Industry Verticals: Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSC) Market Latest and updated Scope and Application 2020-2027 - The Blend - December 3rd, 2020
- Bayer Launches Cell and Gene Therapy Platform to Maximize Recent Acquisitions - PharmaLive - December 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Size on Target to Reach US$ 17.79 Billion 2027 - Cheshire Media - December 3rd, 2020
- Bayer establishes Cell and Gene Therapy Platform to accelerate pharmaceutical innovation | More News | News Channels - PipelineReview.com - December 3rd, 2020
- Growing Value of Stem Cells in Medicine to Create a US$2,4 Billion Opportunity for Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell ((iPSC) - GlobeNewswire - November 27th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market New Research Study Report with Size, Share, Trends, Emerging Applications, Opportunities and Worldwide Analysis... - November 27th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market Applications, Types and Future Ou - News by aeresearch - November 27th, 2020
- Research Paper Showing ProtoKinetix AAGP Enhanced Stem Cell Derived Retina Precursor Cells Restoration of Vision - Business Wire - November 27th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market 2020: Enhanced Growth, Recent Trends and Major Companies are Fujifilm Holding Corporation, Astellas Pharma, Fate... - November 27th, 2020
- The Stem Cell-Derived Cells market to Scale new heights in the next decade - Khabar South Asia - November 27th, 2020
- Astronaut Soichi Noguchi still adapting to life on ISS - The Japan Times - November 27th, 2020
- Potential new therapies for Alzheimer's disease are revealed through network modeling of its complex molecular interactions - Science Codex - November 27th, 2020
- Global Induced Pluripotent Market To Perceive Biggest Trend And Opportunity With Key Players CELGENE CORPORATION; Astellas Pharma Inc.; Thermo Fisher... - November 22nd, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Banking Market 2020: Overview, Trends, Opportunities, Impact of Drivers, Key Vendors, Types, Applications, Forecast by Focusing... - November 22nd, 2020
- Thanyapura, StemCells21 to offer premium stem cell treatments in Thailand - BSA bureau - November 20th, 2020
- Neurons stripped of their identity are hallmark of Alzheimer's disease, study finds - National Science Foundation - November 20th, 2020
- Fred Hutch at ASH: Fauci fireside chat, latest on cell therapies, repairing immune function, COVID and clots and more - Newswise - November 20th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Value Expected To Reach $17.79 Billion By 2027 - Eurowire - November 20th, 2020
- How regenerative medicine could be used to contain COVID-19, others - Guardian - November 20th, 2020
- The Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market To Witness Fierce Competition Amongst The Key Players - KYT24 - November 18th, 2020
- at ASH: Fauci fireside chat, latest on cell therapies, repairing immune function, COVID and clots and more - Fred Hutch News Service - November 18th, 2020
- Neurons stripped of their identity are hallmark of Alzheimers disease, study finds - Newswise - November 18th, 2020
- Genetic influences on viral-induced cytokine responses in the lung - DocWire News - November 18th, 2020
- Japanese and U.S. astronauts arrive at ISS in SpaceX ship - The Japan Times - November 18th, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics Reports Third Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Provides Business Update - BioSpace - November 18th, 2020
- Coadministration of endothelial and smooth muscle cells derived from human induced pluripotent stem cells as a therapy for critical limb ischemia -... - November 12th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market Size, Drivers, Potential Growth Opportunities, Competitive Landscape, Trends And Forecast To 2027 -... - November 12th, 2020
- Proteintech and HebeCell Announce Collaboration on Nanobody iPSC-derived Natural Killer Cells - BioSpace - November 12th, 2020
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Analysis Trends, Growth Opportunities, Size, Type, Dynamic Demand and Drives with Forecast to 2026 -... - November 12th, 2020
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market Share & Size, Future Growth, Trends Evaluation, Demands, Regional Analysis and Forecast to 2027| Merck Group,... - November 12th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Comprehensive Insights, Growth, Forecast and Covid-19 Impact by 2026 | Medipost Co. Ltd., Ocata Therapeutics... - November 12th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Industry Market 2020 Global Trends, Key Players, Share, Growth, Analysis, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 -... - October 31st, 2020
- The Stem Cell-Derived Cells market to be in conjunction to growth from 2020 to 2030 - PRnews Leader - October 31st, 2020
- In Vitro Toxicology Testing Market: Facts, Figures and Analytical Insights, 2018 to 2024 - Aerospace Journal - October 31st, 2020
- Bayer Acquires AskBio to Expand Gene Therapy Platform - PharmaLive - October 31st, 2020
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market 2020 with COVID-19 After Effects Growth Drivers, Top Key Players, Industry Segments and Forecast... - October 29th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market 2019 | How The Industry Will Witness Substantial Growth In The Upcoming Years | Exclusive Report By... - October 29th, 2020
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Analysis by Size: 2025, Impact of Covid-19 on Industry Chain, Market Growth, Drivers | Business Overview... - October 29th, 2020
- The Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market To Witness A Major Breakthrough In The Form Of A Double-Digit CAGR Of 7% - KYT24 - October 29th, 2020
- Emulate Signs Collaborative Agreement with the FDA to Apply Lung-Chip to Evaluate Safety of COVID-19 Vaccines and Protective Immunity Against... - October 29th, 2020
- QurAlis Announces Appointment of New Chief Medical Officer and Formation of Clinical Advisory Board - BioSpace - October 29th, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics Sublicenses Stem Cell Line ESI-053 to ImStem Biotechnology for Development of Cell Therapy Candidate IMS001 for COVID-19 and Acute... - October 29th, 2020
- Bayer Acquires AskBio for Up to $4 Billion to Expand Gene Therapy Platform - BioSpace - October 29th, 2020
- How Will the Virus Epidemic Cause Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market 2020 - The Think Curiouser - October 24th, 2020
- Trends in the Ready To Use Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market 2020-2020 - Eurowire - October 24th, 2020
- Stem Cell-Derived Cells Market to Expand at a Healthy CAGR of XX% Between and 2019 2029 - Eurowire - October 24th, 2020
- The Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market To Mark Robustness In The Form Of A Robust CAGR - KYT24 - October 23rd, 2020
- COVID-19 can affect the heart - Science Magazine - October 23rd, 2020
- Kobe Hospital Trials Transplant to Reverse Blindness A First in the World - JAPAN Forward - October 23rd, 2020
- Rethinking the Link between Cannabinoids and Learning - Lab Manager Magazine - October 23rd, 2020
- Cold sore virus can spread to unborn babies harming their brains, docs warn - The Sun - October 23rd, 2020
- Microscopy Beyond the Resolution Limit - Lab Manager Magazine - October 21st, 2020
- AMSBIO Launches New Human iPSC-Derived Cells and iPSC Differentiation Reagent Kits - Technology Networks - October 20th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market To Grow At 7% YOY In Forecast Years 2026 - The Think Curiouser - October 20th, 2020
- Groundbreaking eye surgery in Kobe offers hope to sight impaired : The Asahi Shimbun - Asahi Shimbun - October 20th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Industry 2020 Includes The Major Application Segments And Size In The Global Market To 2026 - PRnews Leader - October 16th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market 2020 Is Slated to Grow Rapidly in the Forthcoming Years with Key Players Addgene, Axol Bioscience, Cell... - October 16th, 2020
- Disruptive Technologies and Mature Regulatory Environment Vital for Cell Therapy Maturation - BioSpace - October 16th, 2020
- Novellus Therapeutics Exclusively Licenses Induced Mesenchymal Stem Cells (iMSCs) to NoveCite for COVID-19 Related Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome... - October 16th, 2020
- Brain organoids reveal neuronal flaws in syndrome tied to autism - Spectrum - October 16th, 2020
- Manufacturing a Personalized Cellular Universe: 3D Bioprinting in the Biotech Industry - BioSpace - October 16th, 2020
- Fate Therapeutics Announces Presentations at the 2020 Society for Immunotherapy of Cancer Annual Meeting - GlobeNewswire - October 16th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020: Trends, and Opportunity Analysis, Top Manufacturers And Forecast to 2027 - PRnews Leader - October 16th, 2020
- Cytovia Therapeutics partners with Inserm to develop selective CD38 NK therapeutics and offer new treatment options for Multiple Myeloma patients |... - October 8th, 2020
- Dolly the Sheep: '90s Media Sensation - Mental Floss - October 8th, 2020
- Regeneron, Pfizer and BioNTech Accused of Infringing Allele Patent in Connection with COVID-19 Technologies - IPWatchdog.com - October 8th, 2020
- Yufan inks deal with Abound to develop antibodies directing CAR T cells against cancer targets - BioWorld Online - October 7th, 2020
- Allele Biotechnology and Pharmaceuticals Files Two Lawsuits for Patent Infringement for the Unauthorized Use of mNeonGreen in Development and Testing... - October 7th, 2020
- Huge Investment in Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Expected to Witness the Highest Growth 2026 | Fujifilm Holding Corporation (CDI) Ncardia,... - October 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell-Derived Cells Market Forecasted To Surpass The Value Of US$ XX Mn/Bn By 2019 - 2029 - Stock Market Funda - October 3rd, 2020
- Kyoto University project aims to supply iPS cells widely at low cost - The Japan Times - September 29th, 2020
- ONLINE: The Future of Medicine - Isthmus - September 29th, 2020
- funded study sheds light on abnormal neural function in rare genetic disorder - National Institutes of Health - September 29th, 2020
- Stem Cell Market Potential Growth, Size, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Research Forecasts to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- The new pharma collaborations driving transformative research in oncology - - pharmaphorum - September 29th, 2020
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market 2020 Manufacturer Analysis, Technology Advancements, Industry Scope and Forecast to 2027||Fate... - September 21st, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market to Witness Huge Growth by 2025| Bone Therapeutics SA, System Biosciences, Axiogenesis, Regeneus Ltd.,... - September 14th, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market Report, History And Forecast 2020-2027, Breakdown Data By Manufacturers, Key Regions, Types And Application - Bulletin Line - September 11th, 2020