Monday, September 23, 2019
Modeled gene expression changes match those found in patients brains.
Researchers have discovered that gene expression regulators work together to raise an individuals risk of developing schizophrenia. Schizophrenia-like gene expression changes modeled in human neurons matched changes found in patients brains. The researchers, led by Kristen Brennand, of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York City, report on their findings in Nature Genetics. The work was funded by the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), part of the National Institutes of Health.
Genome-wide association studies have revealed at least 143 chromosomal sites associated with risk for schizophrenia. However, individually, each of these sites can explain only a small fraction of the risk. Even when the effects of disease-linked rare genetic variants are factored in, most of schizophrenias known high inheritance remains unexplained. One possible clue: more than 40% of the suspect chromosomal sites contain regulators, called expression quantitative trait loci, or eQTLs, that govern the expression of multiple genes.
Individually, these gene regulators have a modest effect on the brain. Working in concert, they exert different and more significant effects on the brain effects that boost schizophrenia risk, explained David Panchision, chief of the Developmental Neurobiology Program at NIMH. Learning more about the downstream cellular and molecular effects of such synergy holds hope for advances in precision psychiatry and more personalized medicine.
To explore the role of these regulators, Brennand and colleagues studied them in induced neurons using a molecular modeling technology. This induced pluripotent stem cell method makes it possible to grow a persons unique neurons in a petri dish using stem cells derived from their skin cells. The researchers used the model to take a closer look at the downstream molecular consequences of gene expression changes known to occur in schizophrenia, and compared them with changes seen in postmortem brains and similarly modeled neurons of people with the illness.
The researchers experimentally mimicked the interaction of multiple risk genes thought to contribute to schizophrenia. They used the gene editing tool CRISPR to simultaneously increase or decrease expression of four schizophrenia-implicated genes known to harbor eQTLs. The genes were selected because they were deemed most likely to confer disease risk by regulating gene expression. To trigger changes in the direction predicted to heighten risk for schizophrenia, expression was increased for three of the genes and decreased for one.
Manipulating expression of the four genes altered expression of 1,261 other genes 665 increased and 596 decreased. This was many more than would be expected if the genes had been merely acting individually, suggesting an underlying mechanism that is synergistic rather than additive.
This unexpected synergy between gene variants demonstrated how even subtle genetic variations can impact neuronal function, said Brennand. These interactions emphasize the importance of considering the complex nature of schizophrenia and other psychiatric disorders, where a combination of gene variants contributes to disease.
Many of the genes affected downstream contained variants that had been linked to autism spectrum disorder or bipolar disorder, in addition to schizophrenia consistent with other research suggesting genetic overlap across mental disorders.
The experimentally induced gene expression changes mirrored those seen in postmortem brains of people with the three mental illnesses. The same changes were also seen in induced pluripotent stem cell neurons from people with childhood-onset schizophrenia, a rare form of the illness thought to be more genetic in origin.
Notably, all of these gene changes resulted in loss-of-brain-function effects when screened one-at-a-time in a zebrafish model, said Brennand. We have added several of them to a list of genes worthy of further study for possible involvement in schizophrenia. There is an overwhelming need for future studies to similarly model such multi-gene interactions in complex cells and circuits.
About the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH):The mission of theNIMHis to transform the understanding and treatment of mental illnesses through basic and clinical research, paving the way for prevention, recovery and cure. For more information, visit theNIMH website.
About the National Institutes of Health (NIH):NIH, the nation's medical research agency, includes 27 Institutes and Centers and is a component of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. NIH is the primary federal agency conducting and supporting basic, clinical, and translational medical research, and is investigating the causes, treatments, and cures for both common and rare diseases. For more information about NIH and its programs, visit http://www.nih.gov.
NIHTurning Discovery Into Health
Schrode N, Ho S-M, Yamamuro K, Dobbyn A, Huckins L, Matos MR. Cheng E, Deans PJM, Flaherty E, Barretto N, Topol A, Alganem K, Abadali S, Gregory J, Hoelzli E, Phatnani H, Singh V, Girish D, Aronow B, Mccullumsmith R, Hoffman GE, Stahl EA, Morishita H, Sklar P, Brennand KJ. Synergistic effects of common schizophrenia risk variants. Nature Genetics, September 23, 2019.DOI: 10.1038/s41588-019-0497-5
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market 2020 Top Manufactures, Growth Opportunities and Investment Feasibility 2025 The Courier - The Courier - May 3rd, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market worth $401 million by 2026 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - PRNewswire - May 3rd, 2021
- Fate Therapeutics Announces Four Presentations at the 2021 ASGCT Annual Meeting - GlobeNewswire - May 3rd, 2021
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market 2021 Is Booming Across the Globe by Share, Size, Growth, Segments and Forecast to 2027 | Top Players... - May 3rd, 2021
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market 2021 Industry Size, Share, Growth and Top Companies Analysis- Fujifilm Holding Corporation (CDI),... - May 3rd, 2021
- A New CRISPR Tool Flips Genes On and Off Like a Light Switch - Singularity Hub - May 3rd, 2021
- Stem Cell Characterization Kits Market Report 2021 by Global Key Players, Types, Applications, Countries, Size, Forecast to 2027 Good News Gum - Good... - May 3rd, 2021
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Growth Opportunities, Analysis and Forecasts Report 2020-2026 with key players position (Fujifilm Holding... - February 17th, 2021
- Cytovia Therapeutics and Cellectis Partner to Develop TALEN Gene-Edited iPSC-Derived Natural Killer Cells - BioSpace - February 17th, 2021
- Can we freeze them? Yes we can, says Nkarta - Vantage - February 17th, 2021
- Global Induced Pluripotent Market Positive Outlook, Revenue Generation & Leading Manufacturers, Forecast 2026||CELGENE CORPORATION; Astellas... - February 17th, 2021
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Growth, Competitive Landscape, Research Methodology, Business Opportunities, Statistics and Industry Analysis... - February 17th, 2021
- Evotec and Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf Enter Partnership to Develop iPSC-Based Tissue Therapy f - PharmiWeb.com - February 4th, 2021
- Breakthrough stem cell therapy may reverse life-threatening conditions in dogs - Study Finds - February 4th, 2021
- SLAS Technology Special Collection on Artificial Intelligence in Process Automation Available Now - Newswise - February 4th, 2021
- Exacis Biotherapeutics Announces Key Addition To Its Executive Leadership Team With Dirk Huebner MD Joining As Chief Medical Officer - PRNewswire - February 4th, 2021
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market 2020 Global Share, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Regional Overview, Leading Company Analysis And Forecast... - February 4th, 2021
- Money on the Move: January 27 February 2 - BioSpace - February 4th, 2021
- Poultry Healthcare Products Market Share, Growth, Statistics, by Application, Production, Revenue & Forecast to 2025 - AlgosOnline - January 27th, 2021
- Impact Of Covid 19 On Stem Cells Industry 2020 Market Challenges, Business Overview And Forecast Research Study 2026 Murphy's Hockey Law - Murphy's... - January 27th, 2021
- SREBP1 suppresses the differentiation and epithelial function of hiPSC-derived endothelial cells by inhibiting the microRNA199b-5p pathway - DocWire... - January 25th, 2021
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Segmentation and Analysis by Latest Trends, Development and Growth by Trending Regions 2020 with key players... - January 25th, 2021
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market to Witness Massive Growth During 2021-2027 | Fujifilm Holding Corporation (CDI), Ncardia, Sumitomo... - January 25th, 2021
- Hands across the water as bio bonds stand test of time | Business Weekly - Business Weekly - January 25th, 2021
- Exercise mimetics and JAK inhibition attenuate IFN-induced wasting in engineered human skeletal muscle - Science Advances - January 25th, 2021
- Can Science Save the Northern White Rhino? - Freethink - January 25th, 2021
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market to Grow with an Impressive CAGR - Farming Sector - January 9th, 2021
- Accelerating cell-based therapies by providing safe therapeutic MSC products - BioSpace - January 9th, 2021
- Exacis Biotherapeutics Announces Its Launch and mRNA Technology In-Licensing For Targeted CAR-NK And CAR-T Cell Cancer Therapies | DNA RNA and Cells |... - January 9th, 2021
- Environmental Factor - January 2021: Intramural Papers of the Month - Environmental Factor Newsletter - January 9th, 2021
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market To Witness Huge Gains Over 2020-2026 - Factory Gate - December 28th, 2020
- Exosomes act as messengers and decoys to save healthy cells from viral infection - Massive Science - December 28th, 2020
- Scientists have restored youth to aging eyes in mice - Massive Science - December 21st, 2020
- Top Technical Advances of 2020 - The Scientist - December 21st, 2020
- A new psychedelic drug gives psychiatric benefits without causing hallucinations - Massive Science - December 21st, 2020
- I Peace, Inc. and Avery Therapeutics announce collaboration to bring iPSC derived cell therapy for heart failure to the clinic - PRNewswire - December 17th, 2020
- Network of Genes Involved in Congenital Heart Disease Identified - Technology Networks - December 17th, 2020
- Global Induced Pluripotent Market 2020-26 Steering Forces Heading Towards Impressive CAGR With CELGENE CORPORATION; Astellas Pharma Inc.; Thermo... - December 17th, 2020
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market Expectable to Exceed Global Market Revenue, Size, Segments and Market Competition Trend to... - December 14th, 2020
- Evotec and Sartorius Partner with Start-Up Curexsys on IPSC-Based Therapeutic Exosome Approach - BioSpace - December 9th, 2020
- Multiple gene edits and computer simulations could help treat rare genetic diseases - University of Wisconsin-Madison - December 9th, 2020
- Cytovia Therapeutics announces plans to initiate in 2021 Clinical Development of Universal iPSC NK Cell Therapy for Hematological and Solid Tumors -... - December 9th, 2020
- Fate Therapeutics Reports Positive Interim Data from its Phase 1 Study of FT516 in Combination with Rituximab for B-cell Lymphoma - GlobeNewswire - December 9th, 2020
- Constantly Growing Applications and Innovations to Push Sales of Amniotic Membrane Market Up To ~US$2.4 Bn by 2027, Observes TMR - PRNewswire - December 9th, 2020
- Tulane researcher shows enhanced therapeutic stem cell migration improves neurodegenerative disease - News from Tulane - December 8th, 2020
- Researchers restore lost sight in mice, offering clues to reversing aging - Science Magazine - December 8th, 2020
- Fate Therapeutics Reports Positive Interim Data from its Phase 1 Study of FT516 in Combination with Rituximab for B-cell Lymphoma | DNA RNA and Cells... - December 8th, 2020
- Bayer and Atara Biotherapeutics in CAR T-cell therapy deal - BioPharma-Reporter.com - December 8th, 2020
- Repairing the Brain With Stem Cells? A Conversation With Prof. Jack Price - Being Patient - December 3rd, 2020
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Size, Comprehensive Analysis, Development Strategy, Future Plans and Industry Growth with High CAGR by... - December 3rd, 2020
- Industry Verticals: Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSC) Market Latest and updated Scope and Application 2020-2027 - The Blend - December 3rd, 2020
- Bayer Launches Cell and Gene Therapy Platform to Maximize Recent Acquisitions - PharmaLive - December 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Size on Target to Reach US$ 17.79 Billion 2027 - Cheshire Media - December 3rd, 2020
- Bayer establishes Cell and Gene Therapy Platform to accelerate pharmaceutical innovation | More News | News Channels - PipelineReview.com - December 3rd, 2020
- Growing Value of Stem Cells in Medicine to Create a US$2,4 Billion Opportunity for Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell ((iPSC) - GlobeNewswire - November 27th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market New Research Study Report with Size, Share, Trends, Emerging Applications, Opportunities and Worldwide Analysis... - November 27th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market Applications, Types and Future Ou - News by aeresearch - November 27th, 2020
- Research Paper Showing ProtoKinetix AAGP Enhanced Stem Cell Derived Retina Precursor Cells Restoration of Vision - Business Wire - November 27th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market 2020: Enhanced Growth, Recent Trends and Major Companies are Fujifilm Holding Corporation, Astellas Pharma, Fate... - November 27th, 2020
- The Stem Cell-Derived Cells market to Scale new heights in the next decade - Khabar South Asia - November 27th, 2020
- Astronaut Soichi Noguchi still adapting to life on ISS - The Japan Times - November 27th, 2020
- Potential new therapies for Alzheimer's disease are revealed through network modeling of its complex molecular interactions - Science Codex - November 27th, 2020
- Global Induced Pluripotent Market To Perceive Biggest Trend And Opportunity With Key Players CELGENE CORPORATION; Astellas Pharma Inc.; Thermo Fisher... - November 22nd, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Banking Market 2020: Overview, Trends, Opportunities, Impact of Drivers, Key Vendors, Types, Applications, Forecast by Focusing... - November 22nd, 2020
- Thanyapura, StemCells21 to offer premium stem cell treatments in Thailand - BSA bureau - November 20th, 2020
- Neurons stripped of their identity are hallmark of Alzheimer's disease, study finds - National Science Foundation - November 20th, 2020
- Fred Hutch at ASH: Fauci fireside chat, latest on cell therapies, repairing immune function, COVID and clots and more - Newswise - November 20th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Value Expected To Reach $17.79 Billion By 2027 - Eurowire - November 20th, 2020
- How regenerative medicine could be used to contain COVID-19, others - Guardian - November 20th, 2020
- The Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market To Witness Fierce Competition Amongst The Key Players - KYT24 - November 18th, 2020
- at ASH: Fauci fireside chat, latest on cell therapies, repairing immune function, COVID and clots and more - Fred Hutch News Service - November 18th, 2020
- Neurons stripped of their identity are hallmark of Alzheimers disease, study finds - Newswise - November 18th, 2020
- Genetic influences on viral-induced cytokine responses in the lung - DocWire News - November 18th, 2020
- Japanese and U.S. astronauts arrive at ISS in SpaceX ship - The Japan Times - November 18th, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics Reports Third Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Provides Business Update - BioSpace - November 18th, 2020
- Coadministration of endothelial and smooth muscle cells derived from human induced pluripotent stem cells as a therapy for critical limb ischemia -... - November 12th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market Size, Drivers, Potential Growth Opportunities, Competitive Landscape, Trends And Forecast To 2027 -... - November 12th, 2020
- Proteintech and HebeCell Announce Collaboration on Nanobody iPSC-derived Natural Killer Cells - BioSpace - November 12th, 2020
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Analysis Trends, Growth Opportunities, Size, Type, Dynamic Demand and Drives with Forecast to 2026 -... - November 12th, 2020
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market Share & Size, Future Growth, Trends Evaluation, Demands, Regional Analysis and Forecast to 2027| Merck Group,... - November 12th, 2020