*Post also available in: Espaol Romn
As you start to learn about stem cells, one of the most common questions tohave is, What types of stem cells exist?There is not an agreed-upon number of stem cell types, because one can classify stem cells either by differentiation potential(what they can turn into) or by origin (from where they are sourced).This post is dedicated to explaining the five types of stem cells, based on differentiation potential.
The five different types of stem cells discussed in this article are:
All stem cells that exist can be classified into one of five groups based on their differentiation potential. Each of these stem cell types is explored in greater detail below.
The Rise of Direct Cell Reprogramming | BioInformant https://t.co/q0vwT6CffR#allogeneic #totipotent #pluripotent #multipotent #autologous pic.twitter.com/ycoDP8mYa6
Todd C Bertsch (@todd_bertsch) February 19, 2018
These stem cells are the most powerful that exist.
They can differentiate into embryonic, as well as extra-embryonic tissues, such as chorion, yolk sac, amnion, and the allantois. In humans and other placental animals, these tissues form the placenta.
The most important characteristic of a totipotent cell is that it can generate a fully-functional, living organism.
The best-known example of a totipotent cell is a fertilized egg (formed when a sperm and egg unite to form a zygote).
It is at or around four days post-fertilization that these cells begin to specialize into pluripotent cells, which as described below are flexible cell types, but cannot produce an entire organism.
Theyre aliveeee!! Turned our human pluripotent stem cells into beating cardio!!! ::happy tears:: Next up crispR KO fun #stemcellscientist #WomenInScience #futureBIOhacker pic.twitter.com/GVg4pb9Xri
Kristin Pagel (@DeeDeeTroit84) March 31, 2018
The next most powerful type of stem cell is the pluripotent stem cell.
The importance of this cell type is that it can self-renew and differentiate into any of the three germ layers, which are: ectoderm, endoderm, and mesoderm. These three germ layers further differentiate to form all tissues and organs within a human being.
There are several known types of pluripotent stem cells.
Among the natural pluripotent stem cells, embryonic stem cells are the best example.However, a type of human-made pluripotent stem cell also exists, which is the induced pluripotent stem cell (iPS cell).
iPS cells were first produced from mouse cells in 2006 and human cells in 2007, and are tissue-specific cells that can be reprogrammed to become functionally similar to embryonic stem cells.
Because of their powerful ability to differentiate in a wide diversity of tissues and their non-controversial nature, induced pluripotent stem cells are well-suited for use in cellular therapy and regenerative medicine.
Did you know that bone marrow contains multipotent stem cells that give rise to all the cells of the blood? pic.twitter.com/NcYJsdPJXi
caremotto (@caremotto) January 17, 2018
Multipotent stem cells are a middle-range type of stem cell, in that they can self-renew and differentiate into a specific range of cell types.
An excellent example of this cell type is the mesenchymal stem cell (MSC).
Mesenchymal stem cells can differentiate into osteoblasts (a type of bone cell), myocytes (muscle cells), adipocytes (fat cells), and chondrocytes (cartilage cells).
These cells types are fairly diverse in their characteristics, which is why mesenchymal stem cells are classified as multipotent stem cells.
The next type of stem cells, oligopotent cells, are similar to the prior category (multipotent stem cells), but they become further restricted in their capacity to differentiate.
While these cells can self-renew and differentiate, they can only do so to a limited extent. They can only do so into closely related cell types.
An excellent example of this cell type is the hematopoietic stem cell (HSC).
HSCs are cells derived from mesoderm that can differentiate into other blood cells. Specifically, HSCs are oligopotent stem cells that can differentiate into both myeloid and lymphoid cells.
Myeloid cells includebasophils, dendritic cells, eosinophils, erythrocytes, macrophages, megakaryocytes, monocytes, neutrophils, and platelets, while lymphoid cells include B cells, T cells, and natural kills cells.
Finally, we have the unipotent stem cells, which are the least potent and most limited type of stem cell.
An example of this stem cell type would be muscle stem cells.
While muscle stem cells can self-renew and differentiate, they can only do so into a single cell type. They are unidirectional in their differentiation capacity.
The purpose of these stem cellcategories is to assess thefunctional capacity of stem cells based on their differentiation potential.
Importantly, each category has different stem cell research applications, medical applications, and drug development applications.
Watch this video and learn about the 5 types of stem cells:
If you found this article valuable, subscribe to BioInformants stem cell industry updates.
We are the industry leaders in stem cell research, with research cited by The Wall Street Journal, Xconomy, AABB, and Vogue Magazine. Bringing you breaking news on an ongoing basis, join more than half a million loyal readers, including physicians, scientists, investors, and philanthropists.
In your opinion, which of the following types of stem cells have the best potential to form any tissue type? Mention them in the comments section below.
To learn more, view:Stem Cell Fact Sheet Types of Stem Cells and their Use in Medicine
Do You Know The 5 Types Of Stem Cells?
Cade Hildrethis the Founder ofBioInformant.com, the world's largest publisher of stem cell industry news.Cade is a media expert on stem cells, recently interviewed by theWall Street Journal,Los Angeles Business Journal, Xconomy,andVogue Magazine.
Read the rest here:
Do You Know the 5 Types of Stem Cells? | BioInformant
- Repairing the Brain With Stem Cells? A Conversation With Prof. Jack Price - Being Patient - December 3rd, 2020
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Size, Comprehensive Analysis, Development Strategy, Future Plans and Industry Growth with High CAGR by... - December 3rd, 2020
- Industry Verticals: Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSC) Market Latest and updated Scope and Application 2020-2027 - The Blend - December 3rd, 2020
- Bayer Launches Cell and Gene Therapy Platform to Maximize Recent Acquisitions - PharmaLive - December 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Size on Target to Reach US$ 17.79 Billion 2027 - Cheshire Media - December 3rd, 2020
- Bayer establishes Cell and Gene Therapy Platform to accelerate pharmaceutical innovation | More News | News Channels - PipelineReview.com - December 3rd, 2020
- Growing Value of Stem Cells in Medicine to Create a US$2,4 Billion Opportunity for Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell ((iPSC) - GlobeNewswire - November 27th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market New Research Study Report with Size, Share, Trends, Emerging Applications, Opportunities and Worldwide Analysis... - November 27th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market Applications, Types and Future Ou - News by aeresearch - November 27th, 2020
- Research Paper Showing ProtoKinetix AAGP Enhanced Stem Cell Derived Retina Precursor Cells Restoration of Vision - Business Wire - November 27th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market 2020: Enhanced Growth, Recent Trends and Major Companies are Fujifilm Holding Corporation, Astellas Pharma, Fate... - November 27th, 2020
- The Stem Cell-Derived Cells market to Scale new heights in the next decade - Khabar South Asia - November 27th, 2020
- Astronaut Soichi Noguchi still adapting to life on ISS - The Japan Times - November 27th, 2020
- Potential new therapies for Alzheimer's disease are revealed through network modeling of its complex molecular interactions - Science Codex - November 27th, 2020
- Global Induced Pluripotent Market To Perceive Biggest Trend And Opportunity With Key Players CELGENE CORPORATION; Astellas Pharma Inc.; Thermo Fisher... - November 22nd, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Banking Market 2020: Overview, Trends, Opportunities, Impact of Drivers, Key Vendors, Types, Applications, Forecast by Focusing... - November 22nd, 2020
- Thanyapura, StemCells21 to offer premium stem cell treatments in Thailand - BSA bureau - November 20th, 2020
- Neurons stripped of their identity are hallmark of Alzheimer's disease, study finds - National Science Foundation - November 20th, 2020
- Fred Hutch at ASH: Fauci fireside chat, latest on cell therapies, repairing immune function, COVID and clots and more - Newswise - November 20th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Value Expected To Reach $17.79 Billion By 2027 - Eurowire - November 20th, 2020
- How regenerative medicine could be used to contain COVID-19, others - Guardian - November 20th, 2020
- The Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market To Witness Fierce Competition Amongst The Key Players - KYT24 - November 18th, 2020
- at ASH: Fauci fireside chat, latest on cell therapies, repairing immune function, COVID and clots and more - Fred Hutch News Service - November 18th, 2020
- Neurons stripped of their identity are hallmark of Alzheimers disease, study finds - Newswise - November 18th, 2020
- Genetic influences on viral-induced cytokine responses in the lung - DocWire News - November 18th, 2020
- Japanese and U.S. astronauts arrive at ISS in SpaceX ship - The Japan Times - November 18th, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics Reports Third Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Provides Business Update - BioSpace - November 18th, 2020
- Coadministration of endothelial and smooth muscle cells derived from human induced pluripotent stem cells as a therapy for critical limb ischemia -... - November 12th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market Size, Drivers, Potential Growth Opportunities, Competitive Landscape, Trends And Forecast To 2027 -... - November 12th, 2020
- Proteintech and HebeCell Announce Collaboration on Nanobody iPSC-derived Natural Killer Cells - BioSpace - November 12th, 2020
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Analysis Trends, Growth Opportunities, Size, Type, Dynamic Demand and Drives with Forecast to 2026 -... - November 12th, 2020
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market Share & Size, Future Growth, Trends Evaluation, Demands, Regional Analysis and Forecast to 2027| Merck Group,... - November 12th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Comprehensive Insights, Growth, Forecast and Covid-19 Impact by 2026 | Medipost Co. Ltd., Ocata Therapeutics... - November 12th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Industry Market 2020 Global Trends, Key Players, Share, Growth, Analysis, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 -... - October 31st, 2020
- The Stem Cell-Derived Cells market to be in conjunction to growth from 2020 to 2030 - PRnews Leader - October 31st, 2020
- In Vitro Toxicology Testing Market: Facts, Figures and Analytical Insights, 2018 to 2024 - Aerospace Journal - October 31st, 2020
- Bayer Acquires AskBio to Expand Gene Therapy Platform - PharmaLive - October 31st, 2020
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market 2020 with COVID-19 After Effects Growth Drivers, Top Key Players, Industry Segments and Forecast... - October 29th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market 2019 | How The Industry Will Witness Substantial Growth In The Upcoming Years | Exclusive Report By... - October 29th, 2020
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Analysis by Size: 2025, Impact of Covid-19 on Industry Chain, Market Growth, Drivers | Business Overview... - October 29th, 2020
- The Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market To Witness A Major Breakthrough In The Form Of A Double-Digit CAGR Of 7% - KYT24 - October 29th, 2020
- Emulate Signs Collaborative Agreement with the FDA to Apply Lung-Chip to Evaluate Safety of COVID-19 Vaccines and Protective Immunity Against... - October 29th, 2020
- QurAlis Announces Appointment of New Chief Medical Officer and Formation of Clinical Advisory Board - BioSpace - October 29th, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics Sublicenses Stem Cell Line ESI-053 to ImStem Biotechnology for Development of Cell Therapy Candidate IMS001 for COVID-19 and Acute... - October 29th, 2020
- Bayer Acquires AskBio for Up to $4 Billion to Expand Gene Therapy Platform - BioSpace - October 29th, 2020
- How Will the Virus Epidemic Cause Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market 2020 - The Think Curiouser - October 24th, 2020
- Trends in the Ready To Use Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market 2020-2020 - Eurowire - October 24th, 2020
- Stem Cell-Derived Cells Market to Expand at a Healthy CAGR of XX% Between and 2019 2029 - Eurowire - October 24th, 2020
- The Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market To Mark Robustness In The Form Of A Robust CAGR - KYT24 - October 23rd, 2020
- COVID-19 can affect the heart - Science Magazine - October 23rd, 2020
- Kobe Hospital Trials Transplant to Reverse Blindness A First in the World - JAPAN Forward - October 23rd, 2020
- Rethinking the Link between Cannabinoids and Learning - Lab Manager Magazine - October 23rd, 2020
- Cold sore virus can spread to unborn babies harming their brains, docs warn - The Sun - October 23rd, 2020
- Microscopy Beyond the Resolution Limit - Lab Manager Magazine - October 21st, 2020
- AMSBIO Launches New Human iPSC-Derived Cells and iPSC Differentiation Reagent Kits - Technology Networks - October 20th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market To Grow At 7% YOY In Forecast Years 2026 - The Think Curiouser - October 20th, 2020
- Groundbreaking eye surgery in Kobe offers hope to sight impaired : The Asahi Shimbun - Asahi Shimbun - October 20th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Industry 2020 Includes The Major Application Segments And Size In The Global Market To 2026 - PRnews Leader - October 16th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market 2020 Is Slated to Grow Rapidly in the Forthcoming Years with Key Players Addgene, Axol Bioscience, Cell... - October 16th, 2020
- Disruptive Technologies and Mature Regulatory Environment Vital for Cell Therapy Maturation - BioSpace - October 16th, 2020
- Novellus Therapeutics Exclusively Licenses Induced Mesenchymal Stem Cells (iMSCs) to NoveCite for COVID-19 Related Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome... - October 16th, 2020
- Brain organoids reveal neuronal flaws in syndrome tied to autism - Spectrum - October 16th, 2020
- Manufacturing a Personalized Cellular Universe: 3D Bioprinting in the Biotech Industry - BioSpace - October 16th, 2020
- Fate Therapeutics Announces Presentations at the 2020 Society for Immunotherapy of Cancer Annual Meeting - GlobeNewswire - October 16th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020: Trends, and Opportunity Analysis, Top Manufacturers And Forecast to 2027 - PRnews Leader - October 16th, 2020
- Cytovia Therapeutics partners with Inserm to develop selective CD38 NK therapeutics and offer new treatment options for Multiple Myeloma patients |... - October 8th, 2020
- Dolly the Sheep: '90s Media Sensation - Mental Floss - October 8th, 2020
- Regeneron, Pfizer and BioNTech Accused of Infringing Allele Patent in Connection with COVID-19 Technologies - IPWatchdog.com - October 8th, 2020
- Yufan inks deal with Abound to develop antibodies directing CAR T cells against cancer targets - BioWorld Online - October 7th, 2020
- Allele Biotechnology and Pharmaceuticals Files Two Lawsuits for Patent Infringement for the Unauthorized Use of mNeonGreen in Development and Testing... - October 7th, 2020
- Huge Investment in Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Expected to Witness the Highest Growth 2026 | Fujifilm Holding Corporation (CDI) Ncardia,... - October 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell-Derived Cells Market Forecasted To Surpass The Value Of US$ XX Mn/Bn By 2019 - 2029 - Stock Market Funda - October 3rd, 2020
- Kyoto University project aims to supply iPS cells widely at low cost - The Japan Times - September 29th, 2020
- ONLINE: The Future of Medicine - Isthmus - September 29th, 2020
- funded study sheds light on abnormal neural function in rare genetic disorder - National Institutes of Health - September 29th, 2020
- Stem Cell Market Potential Growth, Size, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Research Forecasts to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- The new pharma collaborations driving transformative research in oncology - - pharmaphorum - September 29th, 2020
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market 2020 Manufacturer Analysis, Technology Advancements, Industry Scope and Forecast to 2027||Fate... - September 21st, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market to Witness Huge Growth by 2025| Bone Therapeutics SA, System Biosciences, Axiogenesis, Regeneus Ltd.,... - September 14th, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market Report, History And Forecast 2020-2027, Breakdown Data By Manufacturers, Key Regions, Types And Application - Bulletin Line - September 11th, 2020