The story so far: On Monday, October 21, at Neuroscience 2019, the Society for Neurosciences 49th annual meeting, held in Chicago, U.S., two neuroscientists warned the gathering that fellow scientists are perilously close to crossing the ethical red line of growing mini-brains or organoids in the laboratory that can perceive or feel things. In some cases, scientists have already transplanted such lab-grown brain organoid to adult animals. The transplanted organoid had integrated with the animal brain, grown new neuronal connections and responded to light. Similarly, lung organoid transplanted into mice was able to form branching airways and early alveolar structures. These are seen as a step towards potential humanisation of host animals.
Organoids are a group of cells grown in laboratories into three-dimensional, miniature structures that mimic the cell arrangement of a fully-grown organ. They are tiny (typically the size of a pea) organ-like structures that do not achieve all the functional maturity of human organs but often resemble the early stages of a developing tissue. Most organoids contain only a subset of all the cells seen in a real organ, but lack blood vessels to make them fully functional. In the case of brain organoids, scientists have been able to develop neurons and even make specific brain regions such as the cerebral cortex that closely resemble the human brain. The largest brain organoids that have been grown in the laboratory are about 4 mm in diameter.
Organoids are grown in the lab using stem cells that can become any of the specialised cells seen in the human body, or stem cells taken from the organ or adults cells that have been induced to behave like stem cells, scientifically called induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSC). Stem cells are provided with nutrients and other specific molecules to grow and become cells resembling a specific organ. The growing cells are capable of self-organising into cellular structures of a specific organ and can partly replicate complex functions of mature organs physiological processes to regeneration and being in a diseased state.
Organoids of the brain, small intestine, kidney, heart, stomach, eyes, liver, pancreas, prostate, salivary glands, and inner ear to name a few have already been developed in the laboratory.
Since the use of embryonic stem cells to grow organs of interest has been mired in controversy leading to a ban on such research, researchers have turned to generating organoids using stem cells. Researchers have been successful in generating organoids of increasing complexity and diversity. Since the organoids closely resemble mature tissues, it opens up new vistas. These include studying the complex arrangements of cells in three-dimension and their function in detail, and understanding how cells assemble into organs.
Organoids can be used to study the safety and efficacy of new drugs and also test the response of tissues to existing medicines. Organoids will bring precision medicine closer to reality by developing patient-specific treatment strategies by studying which drugs the patient is most sensitive to. Since the use of animals during drug development studies is becoming increasingly difficult, the focus has been on refining, reducing and replacing them. While scientists have been increasingly using human cell lines and other methods, such alternatives have some inherent limitations they cannot mimic the whole organ system. Organoids are a far superior alternative to cell lines.
Organoids offer new opportunities to studying proteins and genes that are critical for the development of an organ. This helps in knowing how a mutation in a specific gene causes a disease or disorder. In a study in Europe using intestinal organoids from six patients with an intestine disorder, it became possible to identify the mutation in a gene that prevented the formation of a healthy intestine. Researchers have used brain organoids to study how the Zika virus affects brain development in the embryo.
Scientists are already using stem cells taken from tumours to grow organoids that are poised to develop cancer. The ability to grow organoids using cancer stem cells allows researchers to study the genes, proteins and signalling pathways that cancer cells use to develop and grow. They are also using healthy organoids to identify and verify the gene mutations that cause cancer.
In an opinion piece in Nature, scientists argued that the largest brain that has been grown in the laboratory is only 4 mm in diameter and contains only 2-3 million cells. In comparison, an adult human brain measures 1,350 cubic centimetres, and has 86 billion neurons and another 86 billion non-neuronal cells and a similar number of non-neuronal cells. The authors argue that organoids do not have sensory inputs and sensory connections from the brain are limited. Isolated regions of the brain cannot communicate with other brain regions or generate motor signals. They wrote: Thus, the possibility of consciousness or other higher-order perceptive properties [such as the ability to feel distress] emerging seems extremely remote.
You have reached your limit for free articles this month.
Register to The Hindu for free and get unlimited access for 30 days.
Find mobile-friendly version of articles from the day's newspaper in one easy-to-read list.
Enjoy reading as many articles as you wish without any limitations.
A select list of articles that match your interests and tastes.
Move smoothly between articles as our pages load instantly.
A one-stop-shop for seeing the latest updates, and managing your preferences.
We brief you on the latest and most important developments, three times a day.
*Our Digital Subscription plans do not currently include the e-paper ,crossword, iPhone, iPad mobile applications and print. Our plans enhance your reading experience.
Here is the original post:
Can organoids, derived from stem cells, be used in disease treatments? - The Hindu
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells: The Future of Tissue ... - August 4th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market Application And Specification, Product Category, Downstream Buyers,Top Player with Forecast till 2026 -... - August 2nd, 2020
- Stem Cell-Derived Cells Market Forecasted To Surpass The Value Of US$ XX Mn/Bn By 2019 2029 - Bulletin Line - August 2nd, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact: Cell Transplant Market | Strategic Industry Evolutionary Analysis Focus on Leading Key Players and Revenue Growth Analysis by... - July 30th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market | 2020 Global ... - July 29th, 2020
- Fun facts about South Africa Here are 25 things you probably didnt know - The South African - July 28th, 2020
- New report offers analysis on the Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market - Jewish Life News - July 24th, 2020
- Stem Cell-Derived Cells Market To Witness A Considerable CAGR Growth Through The Forecast Period 2019 2029 - 3rd Watch News - July 24th, 2020
- Decoding the Relationship Between Ageing and ALS - Medscape - July 24th, 2020
- Fate Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ:FATE) Gets FDA Approval On IND Application Of iPSC-based CAR T-Cell Therapy - BP Journal - July 24th, 2020
- A functional genomics approach to investigate the differentiation of iPSCs into lung epithelium at air-liquid interface. - Physician's Weekly - July 23rd, 2020
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market Evenly Poised To Reach A Market Value of USD 2610.10 million By Share, Size and Leading Players... - July 22nd, 2020
- Fate Therapeutics Receives FDA Clearance of IND for FT819 in B-Cell Malignancies - OncLive - July 22nd, 2020
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market 2020 Segmentation Trend, CAGR Status, Growth, Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - July 22nd, 2020
- Hybrid products could drive first wave of cell-based meat launches, predicts Higher Steaks as it unveils pork belly, bacon prototypes -... - July 22nd, 2020
- Edited Transcript of RQE.L earnings conference call or presentation 20-Jul-20 11:00am GMT - Yahoo Finance - July 20th, 2020
- Global Regenerative Medicine Market: Size and Forecast with Impact Analysis of COVID-19 (2020-2024) - Jewish Life News - July 20th, 2020
- Down syndrome organoids give insights into Alzheimer's disease - BioWorld Online - July 17th, 2020
- Product News: Differentiation of Human iPS and ES Cells - SelectScience - July 17th, 2020
- A coagulation defect arising from heterozygous premature termination of tissue factor. - Physician's Weekly - July 16th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast... - July 15th, 2020
- Starter Guide to induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs ... - July 13th, 2020
- Cell Culture Protein Surface Coating Market: In-Depth Analysis Of Industry Grow - GroundAlerts.com - July 13th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast Up To... - July 13th, 2020
- Fate Therapeutics Announces FDA Clearance of IND Application for First-ever iPSC-derived CAR T-Cell Therapy | 2020-07-09 | Press Releases - Stockhouse - July 10th, 2020
- Stem Cell-Derived Cells Market is Projected to Reach US$XX by the end of 2019 2029 - 3rd Watch News - July 10th, 2020
- Could induced pluripotent stem cells be the breakthrough ... - July 10th, 2020
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market 2020-2026 Demand and Insights Analysis Report - Cole of Duty - July 10th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Size |Incredible Possibilities and Growth Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - AlgosOnline - July 10th, 2020
- Proof that the coronavirus can infect lab-grown brain cells might make its effects felt long-term - Health24 - July 10th, 2020
- Cell Culture Protein Surface Coating Market Global Sales, Revenue, Price and Gross Margin Forecast To 2025 - Owned - July 10th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 7th, 2020
- In Vitro Toxicology Testing Market to Exhibit Rapid Surge in Consumption in the COVID-19 Crisis 2024 - 3rd Watch News - July 4th, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market 2019 | How The Industry Will Witness Substantial Growth In The Upcoming Years | Exclusive Report By MRE - Cole of Duty - June 30th, 2020
- 2020-2024 Global Regenerative Medicine Market with Impact Analysis of COVID-19, Production, Revenue, Demand & Applications - Apsters News - June 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2020 2025 - Owned - June 29th, 2020
- Citius Receives FDA Response on Pre-Investigational New Drug (PIND) Application for its Induced Mesenchymal Stem Cells (iMSCs) to Treat Acute... - June 27th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market 2020 Global Industry ... - June 20th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market Share, Size, Trends 2020- Segments worth Observing Aiding Growth Factors | Merck Group, Becton, Dickinson And Company.... - June 19th, 2020
- Janus-Faced PCL2? Alzheimer's Risk Protein Toggles TREM2 and TLR Pathways - Alzforum - June 13th, 2020
- Here's Why Fate Therapeutics Rose 18.4% in May - The Motley Fool - June 10th, 2020
- Evera, A Harvard Consumer Biotech Company, Brings Stem Cell Banking To You - Forbes - June 10th, 2020
- Nanion Technologies and Nexel Partner to Open a New Reference Demonstration Laboratory in South Korea - Labmate Online - June 10th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Growth Dynamics ... - June 7th, 2020
- Generation of self-organized sensory ganglion organoids and retinal ganglion cells from fibroblasts - Science Advances - May 30th, 2020
- Hesperos Human-on-a-Chip System Used to Model Preclinical Stages of Alzheimer's Disease and Mild Cognitive Impairment - Business Wire - May 30th, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics and Sernova to Collaborate to Engineer Universal Locally Immune Protected Cell Therapies for Type I Diabetes and Hemophilia A -... - May 30th, 2020
- In Vitro Toxicology Testing Market to Grow at Robust CAGR in the COVID-19 Lockdown Scenario - Cole of Duty - May 30th, 2020
- Study: Heart Problems in SMA May Be Tied to Calcium Dysregulation - SMA News Today - May 25th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Regenerative Medicine Market is Expected to Garner USD 14745.7 Million by The End of 2024 By Recording a CAGR of 4.8% (Impact Analysis... - May 20th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell (iPS Cell) Applications in 2020 - May 16th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 16th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market 2020: Growing Tends ... - May 16th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- Citius Announces Data on NoveCite Mesenchymal Stem Cells (NC-MSCs) to be Presented at the American Society of Gene and Cell Therapy (ASGCT) Annual... - May 14th, 2020
- Novel CAR NK-cell technology could lead to new treatments for lupus, other incurable diseases - Stockhouse - May 14th, 2020
- 2020 Insights on the Worldwide Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell Industry - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - May 12th, 2020
- Cell and Gene Therapy Catapult links with Japan's CiRA Foundation - PharmaTimes - May 12th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market 2020 | Growth Drivers, Challenges, Trends, Market Dynamics and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 9th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Overview With Detailed Analysis, Competitive Landscape, Forecast to 2026 - Weekly Wall - May 9th, 2020
- Mogrify strikes deal with US biopharma Sangamo Therapeutics - Cambridge Independent - April 28th, 2020
- How could Covid-19 and the body's immune response affect the brain? - MIT News - April 28th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Overview, Top Companies, Region, Application and Global Forecast by 2026 - Latest Herald - April 28th, 2020
- FDA Expediting Accelerated Development of Novel Therapies for COVID-19 - Yahoo Finance - April 28th, 2020
- GLOBAL TOOTH REGENERATION MARKET: INDUSTRY ANALYSIS AND FORECAST (2020-2027) - MR Invasion - April 28th, 2020
- Insights on the Cell Expansion Industry in North America to 2027 - by Product, Cell Type, Application, End-user and Country - Yahoo Finance - April 26th, 2020
- Induced pluripotent stem cells and CRISPR reversed diabetes in mice - Drug Target Review - April 24th, 2020
- Reversing diabetes with CRISPR and patient-derived stem cells - FierceBiotech - April 24th, 2020
- The integrated stress response: From mechanism to disease - Science Magazine - April 24th, 2020
- Diabetes reversed in mice with genetically edited stem cells derived from patients - Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis - April 23rd, 2020
- Business News: Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Growth, Analysis and Forecast 2020 to 2025 | BlueRock Therapeutics, Corning Life Sciences, EMD... - April 23rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market: Industry Size, Market Status, Influencing Factors, Competition, Outlook & Forecasts to 2027 - Cole of Duty - April 23rd, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Analysis With Key Players, Applications, Trends And Forecasts To 2026 - Surfacing Magazine - April 21st, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market 2019 analysis, size, top companies, share, strategies and forecast to 2026 - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - April 21st, 2020
- Cell Therapies Can Revolutionize Treatment, Automation Needed to Scale Production - ENGINEERING.com - April 15th, 2020
- Lung epithelium model being tested as a platform for COVID-19 research - Drug Target Review - April 11th, 2020
- Fate Therapeutics' IO Collaboration with Janssen Could Yield Company $3 Billion - Clinical OMICs News - April 11th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Key Players, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, Analysis And Forecast 2025 - Science In Me - April 9th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market in 2020: Industry Overview on Global Size, Share, Future Trends, Segmentation, Demands, and Top Players... - April 9th, 2020