NEW YORK, Oct. 22, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Bloomberg Philanthropies, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (JHUSOM), and The New York Stem Cell Foundation (NYSCF) Research Institute today announced an initiative to fundamentally advance and expand the science of precision medicine, in which diagnostic disease markers are defined with pinpoint accuracy to help researchers understand disease pathways and customize therapeutic approaches. The collaboration will combine the renowned clinical and medical expertise of Johns Hopkins with the unique stem cell technologies and research capabilities of the NYSCF Research Institute to accelerate Hopkins' pioneering Precision Medicine Initiatives.
"Johns Hopkins is working intensively to realize the great promise of precision medicine for all those in our care, locally and globally," said Johns Hopkins President Ronald J. Daniels. "This significant new collaboration with Bloomberg Philanthropies and NYSCF moves us ever closer to that aim as we join together our far-reaching research capacities to advance knowledge and deliver better health outcomes for populations and people around the world."
This collaboration will also establish an unprecedented cache of human disease models available to researchers worldwide thus promoting the real world application of precision medicine and driving a new paradigm for understanding and improving the approach to human disease.
"Bloomberg Philanthropies' mission is to ensure better, longer lives for the greatest number of people," said Michael R. Bloomberg, founder of Bloomberg LP and Bloomberg Philanthropies. "For years, Johns Hopkins University and the New York Stem Cell Foundation have shared that mission and we're honored to deepen our partnerships with them as they explore new, innovative ways to save lives through the application of precision medicine."
Diseases manifest themselves differently in different patients. To understand the basis of these differences and to tailor treatments for specific patients, researchers need more accurate biological tools. Stem cell models provide a "biological avatar" of the patient from which they were created, allowing scientists and clinicians to better understand, define, and account for differences in individual patients and groups of patients.
The new initiative will use induced pluripotent stem cells to study disease characteristics in subgroups of patients, identifying markers that lead to varying disease manifestations. For example, by examining stem cells from seemingly similar patients with different forms of multiple sclerosis, we may be able to better understand the full range of disease mechanisms and pathways.
The Johns Hopkins Precision Medicine Initiative already includes 16 Precision Medicine Centers of Excellence (PMCOE), each focusing on a specific disease, and is now working to develop 50 Precision Medicine Centers in the next five years. Johns Hopkins believes that this advancement in the study and application of precision medicine has the potential to transform the diagnosis and management of many diseases.Often, what is now categorized as a single disease is actually made up ofmultiple diseases that display similar symptoms, but require quite different therapies. Using a wide range of data sources, precision medicine seeks to better elucidate these differences, so that doctors can treat patients with precisely targeted therapies. At Johns Hopkins, dozens of researchers are bringing this idea to reality across a spectrum of debilitating and life-altering diseases.
In this collaboration, the process will begin with the full consent of patients in JHUSOM PMCOEs who wish to participate. Biological samples from the JHUSOM PMCOEs will be collected by the NYSCF Research Institute where scientists will create stem cell models of disease using the NYSCF Global Stem Cell Array, the world's first end-to-end automated system for generating human stem cells in a parallel, highly controlled process.Integrating robotics and machine learning, NYSCF's technology reprograms skin or blood cells into stem cells, differentiates them into disease-relevant cell types, and performs genome editing to unravel the genetic basis of disease.
"The NYSCF Research Institute has invented and scaled the most advanced methods of human cell manipulation, which is critical for studying disease at the level of the individual patient," explained NYSCF CEO Susan L. Solomon. "By combining our capabilities with Johns Hopkins' extensive clinical data and expertise, we will be able to develop effective, personalized therapies for patients suffering from diseases with a high unmet need."
The stem cells generated by NYSCF will be used to research and drive effective therapeutic and diagnostic development in a wide range of diseases that include, but are not limited to, Multiple Sclerosis, Alzheimer's, chronic renal failure, and cancers of the lung, breast, prostate, pancreas, and bladder. These stem cell lines will reside in the NYSCF Repository and serve as an extraordinary resource in perpetuity for the disease research community. This vast collection will allow scientists unprecedented insights into the biochemical and genetic mechanisms underlying different diseases and subtypes thereof, thereby illuminating avenues for effective, tailored interventions.
"Stem cell science holds enormous potential for the treatment of a wide range of diseases," said Paul B. Rothman, dean of the School of Medicine and CEO of Johns Hopkins Medicine. "By combining this approach with Johns Hopkins' groundbreaking work on precision medicine, we are creating a scientific powerhouse that will help us advance medicine and science at an even faster pace. I am excited to see the discoveries and innovations that will be produced by this collaboration."
About Bloomberg PhilanthropiesBloomberg Philanthropies invests in 510 cities and 129 countries around the world to ensure better, longer lives for the greatest number of people. The organization focuses on five key areas for creating lasting change: Arts, Education, Environment, Government Innovation, and Public Health. Bloomberg Philanthropies encompasses all of Michael R. Bloomberg's giving, including his foundation and personal philanthropy as well as Bloomberg Associates, a pro bono consultancy that works in cities around the world. In 2018, Bloomberg Philanthropies distributed $767 million. For more information, please visitbloomberg.orgor follow us on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and Twitter.
About The New York Stem Cell Foundation Research Institute The New York Stem Cell Foundation (NYSCF) Research Institute is an independent non-profit organization accelerating cures and better treatments for patients through stem cell research. The NYSCF global community includes over 180 researchers at leading institutions worldwide, including the NYSCF Druckenmiller Fellows, the NYSCF Robertson Investigators, the NYSCF Robertson Stem Cell Prize Recipients, and NYSCF Research Institute scientists and engineers. The NYSCF Research Institute is an acknowledged world leader in stem cell research and in developing pioneering stem cell technologies, including the NYSCF Global Stem Cell Array and in manufacturing stem cells for scientists around the globe. NYSCF focuses on translational research in an accelerator model designed to overcome barriers that slow discovery and replace silos with collaboration. For more information, visit http://www.nyscf.org or follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
The New York Stem Cell Foundation Research Institute David McKeon firstname.lastname@example.org 212-365-7440
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine Vanessa Wasta email@example.com
SOURCE The New York Stem Cell Foundation
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market 2020 Top Manufactures, Growth Opportunities and Investment Feasibility 2025 The Courier - The Courier - May 3rd, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market worth $401 million by 2026 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - PRNewswire - May 3rd, 2021
- Fate Therapeutics Announces Four Presentations at the 2021 ASGCT Annual Meeting - GlobeNewswire - May 3rd, 2021
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market 2021 Is Booming Across the Globe by Share, Size, Growth, Segments and Forecast to 2027 | Top Players... - May 3rd, 2021
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market 2021 Industry Size, Share, Growth and Top Companies Analysis- Fujifilm Holding Corporation (CDI),... - May 3rd, 2021
- A New CRISPR Tool Flips Genes On and Off Like a Light Switch - Singularity Hub - May 3rd, 2021
- Stem Cell Characterization Kits Market Report 2021 by Global Key Players, Types, Applications, Countries, Size, Forecast to 2027 Good News Gum - Good... - May 3rd, 2021
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Growth Opportunities, Analysis and Forecasts Report 2020-2026 with key players position (Fujifilm Holding... - February 17th, 2021
- Cytovia Therapeutics and Cellectis Partner to Develop TALEN Gene-Edited iPSC-Derived Natural Killer Cells - BioSpace - February 17th, 2021
- Can we freeze them? Yes we can, says Nkarta - Vantage - February 17th, 2021
- Global Induced Pluripotent Market Positive Outlook, Revenue Generation & Leading Manufacturers, Forecast 2026||CELGENE CORPORATION; Astellas... - February 17th, 2021
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Growth, Competitive Landscape, Research Methodology, Business Opportunities, Statistics and Industry Analysis... - February 17th, 2021
- Evotec and Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf Enter Partnership to Develop iPSC-Based Tissue Therapy f - PharmiWeb.com - February 4th, 2021
- Breakthrough stem cell therapy may reverse life-threatening conditions in dogs - Study Finds - February 4th, 2021
- SLAS Technology Special Collection on Artificial Intelligence in Process Automation Available Now - Newswise - February 4th, 2021
- Exacis Biotherapeutics Announces Key Addition To Its Executive Leadership Team With Dirk Huebner MD Joining As Chief Medical Officer - PRNewswire - February 4th, 2021
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market 2020 Global Share, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Regional Overview, Leading Company Analysis And Forecast... - February 4th, 2021
- Money on the Move: January 27 February 2 - BioSpace - February 4th, 2021
- Poultry Healthcare Products Market Share, Growth, Statistics, by Application, Production, Revenue & Forecast to 2025 - AlgosOnline - January 27th, 2021
- Impact Of Covid 19 On Stem Cells Industry 2020 Market Challenges, Business Overview And Forecast Research Study 2026 Murphy's Hockey Law - Murphy's... - January 27th, 2021
- SREBP1 suppresses the differentiation and epithelial function of hiPSC-derived endothelial cells by inhibiting the microRNA199b-5p pathway - DocWire... - January 25th, 2021
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Segmentation and Analysis by Latest Trends, Development and Growth by Trending Regions 2020 with key players... - January 25th, 2021
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market to Witness Massive Growth During 2021-2027 | Fujifilm Holding Corporation (CDI), Ncardia, Sumitomo... - January 25th, 2021
- Hands across the water as bio bonds stand test of time | Business Weekly - Business Weekly - January 25th, 2021
- Exercise mimetics and JAK inhibition attenuate IFN-induced wasting in engineered human skeletal muscle - Science Advances - January 25th, 2021
- Can Science Save the Northern White Rhino? - Freethink - January 25th, 2021
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market to Grow with an Impressive CAGR - Farming Sector - January 9th, 2021
- Accelerating cell-based therapies by providing safe therapeutic MSC products - BioSpace - January 9th, 2021
- Exacis Biotherapeutics Announces Its Launch and mRNA Technology In-Licensing For Targeted CAR-NK And CAR-T Cell Cancer Therapies | DNA RNA and Cells |... - January 9th, 2021
- Environmental Factor - January 2021: Intramural Papers of the Month - Environmental Factor Newsletter - January 9th, 2021
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market To Witness Huge Gains Over 2020-2026 - Factory Gate - December 28th, 2020
- Exosomes act as messengers and decoys to save healthy cells from viral infection - Massive Science - December 28th, 2020
- Scientists have restored youth to aging eyes in mice - Massive Science - December 21st, 2020
- Top Technical Advances of 2020 - The Scientist - December 21st, 2020
- A new psychedelic drug gives psychiatric benefits without causing hallucinations - Massive Science - December 21st, 2020
- I Peace, Inc. and Avery Therapeutics announce collaboration to bring iPSC derived cell therapy for heart failure to the clinic - PRNewswire - December 17th, 2020
- Network of Genes Involved in Congenital Heart Disease Identified - Technology Networks - December 17th, 2020
- Global Induced Pluripotent Market 2020-26 Steering Forces Heading Towards Impressive CAGR With CELGENE CORPORATION; Astellas Pharma Inc.; Thermo... - December 17th, 2020
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market Expectable to Exceed Global Market Revenue, Size, Segments and Market Competition Trend to... - December 14th, 2020
- Evotec and Sartorius Partner with Start-Up Curexsys on IPSC-Based Therapeutic Exosome Approach - BioSpace - December 9th, 2020
- Multiple gene edits and computer simulations could help treat rare genetic diseases - University of Wisconsin-Madison - December 9th, 2020
- Cytovia Therapeutics announces plans to initiate in 2021 Clinical Development of Universal iPSC NK Cell Therapy for Hematological and Solid Tumors -... - December 9th, 2020
- Fate Therapeutics Reports Positive Interim Data from its Phase 1 Study of FT516 in Combination with Rituximab for B-cell Lymphoma - GlobeNewswire - December 9th, 2020
- Constantly Growing Applications and Innovations to Push Sales of Amniotic Membrane Market Up To ~US$2.4 Bn by 2027, Observes TMR - PRNewswire - December 9th, 2020
- Tulane researcher shows enhanced therapeutic stem cell migration improves neurodegenerative disease - News from Tulane - December 8th, 2020
- Researchers restore lost sight in mice, offering clues to reversing aging - Science Magazine - December 8th, 2020
- Fate Therapeutics Reports Positive Interim Data from its Phase 1 Study of FT516 in Combination with Rituximab for B-cell Lymphoma | DNA RNA and Cells... - December 8th, 2020
- Bayer and Atara Biotherapeutics in CAR T-cell therapy deal - BioPharma-Reporter.com - December 8th, 2020
- Repairing the Brain With Stem Cells? A Conversation With Prof. Jack Price - Being Patient - December 3rd, 2020
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Size, Comprehensive Analysis, Development Strategy, Future Plans and Industry Growth with High CAGR by... - December 3rd, 2020
- Industry Verticals: Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSC) Market Latest and updated Scope and Application 2020-2027 - The Blend - December 3rd, 2020
- Bayer Launches Cell and Gene Therapy Platform to Maximize Recent Acquisitions - PharmaLive - December 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Size on Target to Reach US$ 17.79 Billion 2027 - Cheshire Media - December 3rd, 2020
- Bayer establishes Cell and Gene Therapy Platform to accelerate pharmaceutical innovation | More News | News Channels - PipelineReview.com - December 3rd, 2020
- Growing Value of Stem Cells in Medicine to Create a US$2,4 Billion Opportunity for Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell ((iPSC) - GlobeNewswire - November 27th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market New Research Study Report with Size, Share, Trends, Emerging Applications, Opportunities and Worldwide Analysis... - November 27th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market Applications, Types and Future Ou - News by aeresearch - November 27th, 2020
- Research Paper Showing ProtoKinetix AAGP Enhanced Stem Cell Derived Retina Precursor Cells Restoration of Vision - Business Wire - November 27th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market 2020: Enhanced Growth, Recent Trends and Major Companies are Fujifilm Holding Corporation, Astellas Pharma, Fate... - November 27th, 2020
- The Stem Cell-Derived Cells market to Scale new heights in the next decade - Khabar South Asia - November 27th, 2020
- Astronaut Soichi Noguchi still adapting to life on ISS - The Japan Times - November 27th, 2020
- Potential new therapies for Alzheimer's disease are revealed through network modeling of its complex molecular interactions - Science Codex - November 27th, 2020
- Global Induced Pluripotent Market To Perceive Biggest Trend And Opportunity With Key Players CELGENE CORPORATION; Astellas Pharma Inc.; Thermo Fisher... - November 22nd, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Banking Market 2020: Overview, Trends, Opportunities, Impact of Drivers, Key Vendors, Types, Applications, Forecast by Focusing... - November 22nd, 2020
- Thanyapura, StemCells21 to offer premium stem cell treatments in Thailand - BSA bureau - November 20th, 2020
- Neurons stripped of their identity are hallmark of Alzheimer's disease, study finds - National Science Foundation - November 20th, 2020
- Fred Hutch at ASH: Fauci fireside chat, latest on cell therapies, repairing immune function, COVID and clots and more - Newswise - November 20th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Value Expected To Reach $17.79 Billion By 2027 - Eurowire - November 20th, 2020
- How regenerative medicine could be used to contain COVID-19, others - Guardian - November 20th, 2020
- The Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market To Witness Fierce Competition Amongst The Key Players - KYT24 - November 18th, 2020
- at ASH: Fauci fireside chat, latest on cell therapies, repairing immune function, COVID and clots and more - Fred Hutch News Service - November 18th, 2020
- Neurons stripped of their identity are hallmark of Alzheimers disease, study finds - Newswise - November 18th, 2020
- Genetic influences on viral-induced cytokine responses in the lung - DocWire News - November 18th, 2020
- Japanese and U.S. astronauts arrive at ISS in SpaceX ship - The Japan Times - November 18th, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics Reports Third Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Provides Business Update - BioSpace - November 18th, 2020
- Coadministration of endothelial and smooth muscle cells derived from human induced pluripotent stem cells as a therapy for critical limb ischemia -... - November 12th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market Size, Drivers, Potential Growth Opportunities, Competitive Landscape, Trends And Forecast To 2027 -... - November 12th, 2020
- Proteintech and HebeCell Announce Collaboration on Nanobody iPSC-derived Natural Killer Cells - BioSpace - November 12th, 2020
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Analysis Trends, Growth Opportunities, Size, Type, Dynamic Demand and Drives with Forecast to 2026 -... - November 12th, 2020
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market Share & Size, Future Growth, Trends Evaluation, Demands, Regional Analysis and Forecast to 2027| Merck Group,... - November 12th, 2020