When his son Sam was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at six months of age, Doug Melton was incredulous. I remember at night, my wife and I pricking his heel, and saying No, this cant be, this cant be, he says. It felt like we had lost the lottery.
Later, his daughter would receive the same diagnosis. By then, Melton had already dropped what he was doingstudying frog eggs at Harvardand launched an effort to grow pancreatic cells from scratch in his lab. The beta cells of the pancreas are the ones killed off in type 1 diabetes, and Melton reasoned he could replace them using new tissue manufactured from embryonic stem cells.
Meltons effort, involving a 30-person lab at Harvard and a startup company, Semma Therapeutics, which he named after his children, Sam and Emma, is one of the most costly and sustained efforts to turn stem cells into transplantable tissue, an attempt that Melton admits has been full of false starts and dead ends. The public definitely doesnt appreciate that much of science is failure, he says.
In fact, no field of biotechnology has promised more and delivered less in the way of treatments than embryonic stem cells. Only a handful of human studies has ever been carried out, without significant results. The cells, culled from IVF embryos, are capable of developing into any other tissue type in the body, and therefore promise an unlimited supply of replacement tissue.
Sounds simple, but it hasnt been. It took Melton and his team 15 years to unveil each molecular step required to coax a stem cell into a pancreatic beta cell able to sense glucose and secrete insulin. The recipe uses a cocktail of chemicals and a three-dimensional incubation system, tall spinning flasks brewing what looks like murky red Gatorade, that within 30 days can direct the differentiation of stem cells into fully functional beta cells.
Earlier this year, Melton was finally able to demonstrate he could control blood glucose levels of mice for six months using transplants of human beta cells. He thinks he can do that in humans and stretch the therapeutic effect out to a year, a goal thats been turned over to Semma, which is designing an implantable pouch to hold and protect the cells.
Over the last two years, Semma has raised just under $50 million from venture capital firms, California's stem-cell agency, and corporate partners including Novartis and Medtronic. William Sahlman, a Harvard Business School professor who sits on Semma's board, says people are prepared to put very large amounts of money on the experiments. One reason: the global market for insulin exceeds $30 billion a year. Tests strips and monitors might double that.
Because their bodies mount an immune attack on the pancreatic cells that regulate blood glucose, type 1 diabetics are constantly measuring their blood sugar levels with finger pricks and injecting insulin multiple times a day. Their lives can be foreshortened by more than a decade. You could almost say that cellular therapy is the natural solution, Melton says. Its not the technological solution. Its not the Google solution. Its natures solution to the problem. Youre providing the cell which is missing.
Several companies are attempting a tech solution, however, by using electronics to build an artificial pancreas that combines a continuous glucose monitor, an insulin pump, and a sensor with an algorithm to control dosing. Medtronic is nearing FDA approval with one such closed loop system; its smartphone-sized MiniMed 670G performed well in early trials. One of Googles sister companies, Verily, is itself developing glucose-sensing contact lenses and ultra-thin sensors.
San Diego-based ViaCyte, working with Johnson & Johnson, was first to try pancreatic cells derived from embryos in people. It has built an implantable packet of immature cells, which it hopes will differentiate inside the body, and last year opened a clinical trial to test the idea.
Semma also thinks it needs to turn embryonic stem cells into not only insulin-secreting beta cells, but a full-fledged isletthe cluster of cells that includes the alpha, beta, delta, and ancillary cells normally found in a pancreas. Thats a complex objective but one that closely mimics biology. Theres a reason during evolution that these cells are adjacent to one another, says Felicia Pagliuca, Semma's cofounder and a veteran of Meltons lab.
In order to deliver their lab-grown islet to diabetics, Semma is developing prototypes of an iPhone-sized, retrievable packet whose materials insulate it from the immune system, so that patients dont have to take immune-suppressing drugs, as they would if they had a kidney transplant. Christopher Thanos, Semma's vice president of delivery, says his team is modeling physiological processes inside and around the device to experiment with different rates of oxygen, nutrients, and insulin diffusion.
Some outside experts think protecting the cells will not be possible. I'm not optimistic that encapsulation is going to provide the answer, says David Cooper, a professor of surgery at the University of Pittsburgh working on growing human islets in pigs. I personally don't think a device is ever going to be successful. It's impossible to keep all the injurious agents out, he says, referring to the cytokines, antibodies, and other compounds the body releases in response to a foreign body. There's really very little evidence that a capsule can protect you completely from an immune response.
The prospect of surgery every year for the rest of your life is also a practical concern. How many diabetics would sign up for 50, 60, 70 surgeries over the course of a lifetime? What will be the effect of repeated scarring around the surgical site? Melton says the inconvenience of surgery has to be weighed against the thousands of finger pricks and injections that diabetics must administer every year. My kids say once a month they wouldnt hesitate. I think thats a bit extreme, he says. But if it was twice a year, I think thats a go.
If the device does not work, Semma has a backup plan of sorts. It received a $5 million grant from CIRM, the California stem-cell agency, to manufacture islets out of a patient's own tissue using induced pluripotent stem cells. That is a process by which adult cells, like skin cells, are reprogrammed into stem cells. Such matching cells wouldnt be rejected by the body as foreignand might not need as much protectionalthough they probably would not avoid damage by the processes that cause type 1 diabetes in the first place. Semma believes they could help a fraction of patients whose diabetes has different causes.
Semma still has no timeline for when its implantable biotech pancreas could be ready. That means Melton's children will have to wait a while longer. Im sorry it takes so long, says Melton, but it is going to work.
- Stem Cell Medical Research to Expand in California Following Passage of Prop. 14 - Times of San Diego - November 27th, 2020
- Mechanisms of Telomere Protection Are Unique in Stem Cells - Technology Networks - November 27th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market by 2020 Research Report by Manufactures, Types, Applications, Regions and Trends to 2024 | Absolute Reports - The Market Feed - November 25th, 2020
- Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies Market Share, Growth by Top Company, Region, Application, Driver, Trends & Forecasts by 2026 - PRnews Leader - November 25th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Research Provides an In-Depth Analysis on the Future Growth Prospects and Industry Trends Adopted by the Competitors | (2020-2027),... - November 25th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market 2020: Rising with Immense Development Trends across the Globe by 2027 - The Market Feed - November 25th, 2020
- Global Regenerative Medicine Market 2020-2025: Opportunities with the Implementation of the 21st Century Cures Act - Yahoo Finance - November 25th, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market 2020: Potential growth, attractive valuation make it is a long-term investment | Know the COVID19... - November 25th, 2020
- Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies Market 2020 Emerging Trend and Advancement - News by aeresearch - November 9th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market 2020 Manufacturer Analysis, Emerging Trends, Top Companies and Forecast to 2027 - TechnoWeekly - November 7th, 2020
- Voters asked to approve $5.5 billion for stem cell research - Lebanon Express - November 7th, 2020
- Transcriptional priming as a conserved mechanism of lineage diversification in the developing mouse and human neocortex - Science Advances - November 7th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market to be Worth USD 8 billion by 2030, predicts Roots Analysis - PRnews Leader - November 7th, 2020
- U.S. elections bring wins and losses for research community - Science Magazine - November 5th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Key Development Trends, and Growth Projection to 2027 - Stock Market Vista - November 5th, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market 2020 Industry Outlook, Growth, Comprehensive Insights and Forecast 2025 - PRnews Leader - November 5th, 2020
- Panelists debate the implications and ethics of stem cell research - Johns Hopkins News-Letter - October 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Regenerative Therapy Market to Remain Balanced During the the COVID-19 Period - re:Jerusalem - October 30th, 2020
- Study Identifies Pitfall for Correcting Mutations in Human Embryos with CRISPR - Columbia University Irving Medical Center - October 30th, 2020
- Yale New Haven Health Docs: Interpreting the Uptick in Covid-19 Cases - Greenwich Free Press - October 30th, 2020
- Is the Pro-Life Movement on a Collision Course with the Coronavirus? - The Dispatch - October 29th, 2020
- Outlook for stem cell therapy - its role in tendon regeneration - different treatments for horse tendon injuries - Trainer Magazine - October 29th, 2020
- Yale Health advises against large Thanksgiving gatherings; eastern Connecticut now considered a 'hot spot' - The Westerly Sun - October 29th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to Register Unwavering Growth During 2025 - The Think Curiouser - October 29th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market Share, Analysis and In-depth Research on Market Size, Trends, Emerging Growth Factors and Regional Forecasts... - October 20th, 2020
- COVID-19 Analysis to Understand the Competitive Outlook of Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market - The Think Curiouser - October 20th, 2020
- Competitive Landscape of Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market 2020 | Global Industry Size, Volume, Trends and Revenue Forecast to 2025 - The Think... - October 20th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market 2020 is predicted to rise with a CAGR of XX% by 2026 | Including Growth Prospect, Market Size & Growth, Key Vendors, Top most... - October 20th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027) - Stock Market Vista - October 20th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Manufacturing Market: Industry Analysis and forecast 2019 2027: By Product, Application, End-Users and Region - Stock Market Vista - October 20th, 2020
- The Infodemic: Was Regeneron COVID-19 Treatment Developed Using Stem Cells and Fetal Tissue? - Voice of America - October 15th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Global Human Embryonic Stem Cells Market 2020 Industry Overview, Demand and Insights Analysis Report by 2026 ESI BIO, Thermo... - October 15th, 2020
- Yes on 14 | Mailbox | independentnews.com - Livermore Independent - October 15th, 2020
- I've Spent Decades Studying How People Build Their Families. Here's What I've Learned Matters Most - TIME - October 15th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market Size, Regional Insights and Industry Dynamics By 2027 | By Top Leading Vendors Thermo Fisher, Esi Bio,... - September 30th, 2020
- Global Human Embryonic Stem Cells Market 2020 to Witness Huge Growth by 2026 | Top Key Players; Lonza Group Ltd., Life Technologies Corporation,... - September 30th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027) - Unica News - September 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Analytical Overview, Key Players, Growth Factors, Demand, Trends And Forecast to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 23rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market 2020 Global Industry Analysis, Size, Growth, Trends, Share, COVID-19 Impact Analysis, and Forecast 2027| Merck Group,... - September 23rd, 2020
- The Fascinating Story of Q Stock BioRestorative Therapies Inc (OTCMKTS: BRTXQ) - MicroCap Daily - September 18th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Research on Import-Export Details, Business Standards and Forecast to 2025 - Scientect - September 18th, 2020
- Study Focuses On New Discovery In Regenerative Medicine | newkerala.com Health News - New Kerala - September 18th, 2020
- Transcriptional Regulation in Embryonic Stem Cells ... - September 8th, 2020
- Global Cell Isolation Market Report Promising Growth of CAGR of 17.91% , Analysis of Top companies and their Share, Size,Scope and Current Trends -... - September 8th, 2020
- Kerala's KK Shailaja tops as women dominate top 10 of Prospect's 'thinkers for the COVID-19 age' list - The New Indian Express - September 6th, 2020
- Market Growth of Global Stem Cells to Remain Sluggish through 2020 2030 - The News Brok - September 6th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market to be Worth USD 8 billion by 2030, predicts Roots Analysis - Scientect - September 6th, 2020
- Gaining clarity on the ethical issues of a possible COVID-19 vaccine - Pursuit - September 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cells Market is Expected to Thrive at Impressive CAGR by 2025 - Scientect - September 3rd, 2020
- Study reveals genetic mutations may be linked to infertility, early menopause - Sify News - September 3rd, 2020
- Scientists discover protein linked to depression and brain disorders - The Irish Times - August 25th, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market Report Forecast to 2025 by Global Market Insights, Key Companies and Driving Trends| CCBC, Vcanbio, Boyalife, Beikebiotech -... - August 18th, 2020
- Global Cell Isolation Market Report Promising Growth of CAGR of 17.91% , Analysis of Top companies and their Share, Size and Scope - Scientect - August 18th, 2020
- ASU engineers get to the heart of organs-on-a-chip - ASU Now - August 18th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Landscape Assessment By Type and Analysis Current Trends by Forecast To 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - August 17th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size and Growth By Leading Vendors, By Types and Application, By End Users and Forecast to 2027 - Bulletin Line - August 17th, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics Reports Second Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Provides Business Update - Business Wire - August 14th, 2020
- Scientists hope to bring Malaysian rhinoceros back from extinction with stem cell technology - Canada.com - August 14th, 2020
- Scientists hope to bring Malaysian rhinoceros back from extinction with stem cell technology - The Province - August 13th, 2020
- Cell Isolation/Cell Separation Market Research Report by Product, by Cell Type, by Cell Source, by Technique, by Application, by End User - Global... - August 13th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size by Top Companies, Regions, Types and Application, End Users and Forecast to 2027 - Bulletin Line - August 13th, 2020
- Scientists distinguish new method that causes leukemia - Laboratory Equipment Magazine,Microbiology and Healthcare News,Scientific Equipment News -... - August 13th, 2020
- EED-mediated histone methylation is critical for CNS myelination and remyelination by inhibiting WNT, BMP, and senescence pathways - Science Advances - August 13th, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market 2020 Is Booming Across the Globe Explored in Latest Research by 2020-2024 - eRealty Express - August 9th, 2020
- H.C. Wainwright Keeps Their Buy Rating on Lineage Cell Therapeutics (LCTX) - Smarter Analyst - August 7th, 2020
- Here is why AgeX Therapeutics Inc. (AGE) stock volatility recorded over the last month was 14.15% - The InvestChronicle - August 5th, 2020
- Embryonic Stem Cell Research Without Limits | National Review - August 5th, 2020
- Newly discovered epigenetic tag offers insight into ... - August 5th, 2020
- The Trouble With CRISPR - Strand - August 4th, 2020
- Bunk: Company Sells Personalized Embryonic Stem Cells ... - August 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Market Analysis and Forecast by Rapid Growth Rate 2020 Value Share Analysis by Regions, Industry Size, Key Insights till 2024 - Bulletin... - August 1st, 2020
- Stem Cells Market is expected to pick up in healthy CAGR by 2020-2025 Top companies | Chiesi Pharmaceuticals, JCR Pharmaceutical, Pharmicell,... - July 31st, 2020
- Global Cell Isolation/Cell Separation Market Industry Analysis and Forecast (2019-2026), By-Product, Cell Type, Cell Source, Technique, Application,... - July 30th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Analysis by Geographical Regions, Type and Application Till 2027 - Market Research Posts - July 29th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market Growth Drive by the Rising Diversity of Applications - BioSpace - July 28th, 2020
- 'Self-eating' stem cell process may be the key to new regenerative therapies - Penn Today - July 27th, 2020
- Researchers Discover a New Side of Cancer that May Explain Its Resistance to Treatment - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - July 27th, 2020
- "Self-eating" Process of Stem Cells May be Key to New Regenerative Therapies - Mirage News - July 27th, 2020
- Letters to editor: Sundial Bridge gathering, Donald Trump and COVID-19 - Record Searchlight - July 26th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Study for 2020 to 2026 Providing Information on Key Players, Growth Drivers and Industry Challenges|CCBC, Vcanbio, Boyalife - Owned - July 26th, 2020