Heart attacks can cause immediate death. But in survivors, the blockage of blood flow can kill so many heart muscle cells that heart failure can follow months or years afterwards. Heart disease is the leading cause of hospital admission and death in the United States.
A heart attack causes a loss of muscle and leaves the heart with a scar that does not contract and so impairs the hearts pumping function, says Tim Kamp, a professor of medicine who is co-leader of a new grant designed to attack two roadblocks that have stymied efforts to restore heart muscle with muscle cells grown from stem cells.
Kamp, who directs the Stem Cell and Regenerative Medicine Center at the University of WisconsinMadison, says, Everybody involved in treating these patients knows that this scarring often leads to a continual decline in heart function with heart failure and even death.
The UWMadison researchers used approved surgical devices to locate the damaged heart muscle, and then injected the supportive matrix and committed cardiac muscle cells. The circle outlines target zone established before surgery; black dots show the sites that were injected in this mouse study. Amish Raval, work performed at UWMadison in collaboration with Biologics Delivery Systems.
Sixteen percent of men, and 22 percent of women, develop heart failure after myocardial infarction heart attack. Coronary artery disease the category that includes stoppage of blood flow causes one in seven deaths in the United States.
Adult stem cell injections seemed a logical way to form new heart muscle cells and repair the damaged muscle. But in dozens of experiments, the cells either washed out of the heart or failed to develop into the specialized muscle cells the cardiomyocytes that power cardiac contractions. The benefits were mixed, modest at best, says Kamp.
After years of preliminary investigations, however, Kamp and Amish Raval, a professor of cardiology, researcher and entrepreneur, hope that a combination of two cutting-edge approaches would use a fabric-like material to prevent wash-out and successfully implant cardiomyocytes to damaged hearts.
Aided by a Regenerative Medicine Innovation Project grant from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, part of the National Institutes of Health, the two will lead a group to test that idea in pigs over two years.
Having committed cells could be a major advance, Raval says. The first stem-cells therapies started with cells that I call the model T. Now, we are moving to the Buick. The cells originate as induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs) a relative of embryonic stem cells that is based on reprogramming adult cells.
Two Madison-based businesses, and sources at the University of WisconsinMadison, also helped to fund the research. Fujifilm Cellular Dynamics Inc., one of the largest commercial sources of stem cell products, produces the committed cardiac progenitor cells that will be tested. These committed cells are ready to transform themselves into cardiomyocytes.
Fujifilm bought CDI, a company whose founders included Kamp and UWMadison stem cell pioneer James Thomson, but the operations remain in Madison. Kamp has no ownership position but is a consultant for the company.
Raval is a founder and board chair of the second commercial supporter, Cellular Logistics, Inc., which makes a freeze-dried matrix from the same proteins that naturally holds cardiomyocytes in place in the heart. The material is called extracellular matrix (ECM) because it scaffolds cells from the outside.
When the heart pumps, internal pressures often eject would-be replacement cells through lymph channels and blood vessels. Ravals group has already shown in mice that injecting extracellular matrix proteins along with new cells creates mechanical restraints that avoid the wash-out problem.
The extra-cellular matrix to be used in the NIH grant at UWMadison helped retain stem cells (yellow dots) in a pig heart. When similar cells (blue) were injected without the matrix, the cells spilled out of the heart muscle through the needle track and lymph channels.Eric Schmuck and Amish Raval, work performed at UWMadison. Eric Schmuck and Amish Raval, work performed at UWMadison
The injected scaffold may have another advantage for regenerating muscle after heart attack, Kamp notes. The ECM replenishes the scarred area to become more hospitable to the replacement cardiomyocytes. The effect may be based on chemical and mechanical signaling between the ECM and the regenerating cells.
Pigs hearts are quite close to human hearts in size and structure. The grant will cover tests on four groups of 12 pigs each following myocardial infarction:
If the combination is effective, Raval adds, We plan to proceed toward a Food and Drug Administration application for an investigational new drug, which would allow us to begin human trials.
With the passion and concern of a working cardiac surgeon, Raval says those trials would focus on patients who have not been helped by the best medical management we know today and they are not candidates for heart transplant or mechanical assist devices. The only other option is palliative or hospice care.
As Raval notes, More people are surviving heart attacks, and thats great. But many are left with a scar in the heart muscle a dead zone. That scar can enlarge, and the damage can spread. So we are seeing an increasing number of patients with heart failure. Thats why we are moving forward with this project.
This research is being funded by NIH grant 1U01HL148690-01.
Share via Facebook
Share via Twitter
Share via Linked In
Share via Email
- Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies Market 2020 Emerging Trend and Advancement - News by aeresearch - November 9th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market 2020 Manufacturer Analysis, Emerging Trends, Top Companies and Forecast to 2027 - TechnoWeekly - November 7th, 2020
- Voters asked to approve $5.5 billion for stem cell research - Lebanon Express - November 7th, 2020
- Transcriptional priming as a conserved mechanism of lineage diversification in the developing mouse and human neocortex - Science Advances - November 7th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market to be Worth USD 8 billion by 2030, predicts Roots Analysis - PRnews Leader - November 7th, 2020
- U.S. elections bring wins and losses for research community - Science Magazine - November 5th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Key Development Trends, and Growth Projection to 2027 - Stock Market Vista - November 5th, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market 2020 Industry Outlook, Growth, Comprehensive Insights and Forecast 2025 - PRnews Leader - November 5th, 2020
- Panelists debate the implications and ethics of stem cell research - Johns Hopkins News-Letter - October 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Regenerative Therapy Market to Remain Balanced During the the COVID-19 Period - re:Jerusalem - October 30th, 2020
- Study Identifies Pitfall for Correcting Mutations in Human Embryos with CRISPR - Columbia University Irving Medical Center - October 30th, 2020
- Yale New Haven Health Docs: Interpreting the Uptick in Covid-19 Cases - Greenwich Free Press - October 30th, 2020
- Is the Pro-Life Movement on a Collision Course with the Coronavirus? - The Dispatch - October 29th, 2020
- Outlook for stem cell therapy - its role in tendon regeneration - different treatments for horse tendon injuries - Trainer Magazine - October 29th, 2020
- Yale Health advises against large Thanksgiving gatherings; eastern Connecticut now considered a 'hot spot' - The Westerly Sun - October 29th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to Register Unwavering Growth During 2025 - The Think Curiouser - October 29th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market Share, Analysis and In-depth Research on Market Size, Trends, Emerging Growth Factors and Regional Forecasts... - October 20th, 2020
- COVID-19 Analysis to Understand the Competitive Outlook of Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market - The Think Curiouser - October 20th, 2020
- Competitive Landscape of Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market 2020 | Global Industry Size, Volume, Trends and Revenue Forecast to 2025 - The Think... - October 20th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market 2020 is predicted to rise with a CAGR of XX% by 2026 | Including Growth Prospect, Market Size & Growth, Key Vendors, Top most... - October 20th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027) - Stock Market Vista - October 20th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Manufacturing Market: Industry Analysis and forecast 2019 2027: By Product, Application, End-Users and Region - Stock Market Vista - October 20th, 2020
- The Infodemic: Was Regeneron COVID-19 Treatment Developed Using Stem Cells and Fetal Tissue? - Voice of America - October 15th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Global Human Embryonic Stem Cells Market 2020 Industry Overview, Demand and Insights Analysis Report by 2026 ESI BIO, Thermo... - October 15th, 2020
- Yes on 14 | Mailbox | independentnews.com - Livermore Independent - October 15th, 2020
- I've Spent Decades Studying How People Build Their Families. Here's What I've Learned Matters Most - TIME - October 15th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market Size, Regional Insights and Industry Dynamics By 2027 | By Top Leading Vendors Thermo Fisher, Esi Bio,... - September 30th, 2020
- Global Human Embryonic Stem Cells Market 2020 to Witness Huge Growth by 2026 | Top Key Players; Lonza Group Ltd., Life Technologies Corporation,... - September 30th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027) - Unica News - September 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Analytical Overview, Key Players, Growth Factors, Demand, Trends And Forecast to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 23rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market 2020 Global Industry Analysis, Size, Growth, Trends, Share, COVID-19 Impact Analysis, and Forecast 2027| Merck Group,... - September 23rd, 2020
- The Fascinating Story of Q Stock BioRestorative Therapies Inc (OTCMKTS: BRTXQ) - MicroCap Daily - September 18th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Research on Import-Export Details, Business Standards and Forecast to 2025 - Scientect - September 18th, 2020
- Study Focuses On New Discovery In Regenerative Medicine | newkerala.com Health News - New Kerala - September 18th, 2020
- Transcriptional Regulation in Embryonic Stem Cells ... - September 8th, 2020
- Global Cell Isolation Market Report Promising Growth of CAGR of 17.91% , Analysis of Top companies and their Share, Size,Scope and Current Trends -... - September 8th, 2020
- Kerala's KK Shailaja tops as women dominate top 10 of Prospect's 'thinkers for the COVID-19 age' list - The New Indian Express - September 6th, 2020
- Market Growth of Global Stem Cells to Remain Sluggish through 2020 2030 - The News Brok - September 6th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market to be Worth USD 8 billion by 2030, predicts Roots Analysis - Scientect - September 6th, 2020
- Gaining clarity on the ethical issues of a possible COVID-19 vaccine - Pursuit - September 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cells Market is Expected to Thrive at Impressive CAGR by 2025 - Scientect - September 3rd, 2020
- Study reveals genetic mutations may be linked to infertility, early menopause - Sify News - September 3rd, 2020
- Scientists discover protein linked to depression and brain disorders - The Irish Times - August 25th, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market Report Forecast to 2025 by Global Market Insights, Key Companies and Driving Trends| CCBC, Vcanbio, Boyalife, Beikebiotech -... - August 18th, 2020
- Global Cell Isolation Market Report Promising Growth of CAGR of 17.91% , Analysis of Top companies and their Share, Size and Scope - Scientect - August 18th, 2020
- ASU engineers get to the heart of organs-on-a-chip - ASU Now - August 18th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Landscape Assessment By Type and Analysis Current Trends by Forecast To 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - August 17th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size and Growth By Leading Vendors, By Types and Application, By End Users and Forecast to 2027 - Bulletin Line - August 17th, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics Reports Second Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Provides Business Update - Business Wire - August 14th, 2020
- Scientists hope to bring Malaysian rhinoceros back from extinction with stem cell technology - Canada.com - August 14th, 2020
- Scientists hope to bring Malaysian rhinoceros back from extinction with stem cell technology - The Province - August 13th, 2020
- Cell Isolation/Cell Separation Market Research Report by Product, by Cell Type, by Cell Source, by Technique, by Application, by End User - Global... - August 13th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size by Top Companies, Regions, Types and Application, End Users and Forecast to 2027 - Bulletin Line - August 13th, 2020
- Scientists distinguish new method that causes leukemia - Laboratory Equipment Magazine,Microbiology and Healthcare News,Scientific Equipment News -... - August 13th, 2020
- EED-mediated histone methylation is critical for CNS myelination and remyelination by inhibiting WNT, BMP, and senescence pathways - Science Advances - August 13th, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market 2020 Is Booming Across the Globe Explored in Latest Research by 2020-2024 - eRealty Express - August 9th, 2020
- H.C. Wainwright Keeps Their Buy Rating on Lineage Cell Therapeutics (LCTX) - Smarter Analyst - August 7th, 2020
- Here is why AgeX Therapeutics Inc. (AGE) stock volatility recorded over the last month was 14.15% - The InvestChronicle - August 5th, 2020
- Embryonic Stem Cell Research Without Limits | National Review - August 5th, 2020
- Newly discovered epigenetic tag offers insight into ... - August 5th, 2020
- The Trouble With CRISPR - Strand - August 4th, 2020
- Bunk: Company Sells Personalized Embryonic Stem Cells ... - August 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Market Analysis and Forecast by Rapid Growth Rate 2020 Value Share Analysis by Regions, Industry Size, Key Insights till 2024 - Bulletin... - August 1st, 2020
- Stem Cells Market is expected to pick up in healthy CAGR by 2020-2025 Top companies | Chiesi Pharmaceuticals, JCR Pharmaceutical, Pharmicell,... - July 31st, 2020
- Global Cell Isolation/Cell Separation Market Industry Analysis and Forecast (2019-2026), By-Product, Cell Type, Cell Source, Technique, Application,... - July 30th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Analysis by Geographical Regions, Type and Application Till 2027 - Market Research Posts - July 29th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market Growth Drive by the Rising Diversity of Applications - BioSpace - July 28th, 2020
- 'Self-eating' stem cell process may be the key to new regenerative therapies - Penn Today - July 27th, 2020
- Researchers Discover a New Side of Cancer that May Explain Its Resistance to Treatment - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - July 27th, 2020
- "Self-eating" Process of Stem Cells May be Key to New Regenerative Therapies - Mirage News - July 27th, 2020
- Letters to editor: Sundial Bridge gathering, Donald Trump and COVID-19 - Record Searchlight - July 26th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Study for 2020 to 2026 Providing Information on Key Players, Growth Drivers and Industry Challenges|CCBC, Vcanbio, Boyalife - Owned - July 26th, 2020
- Germ cell - Wikipedia - July 25th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market Analysis Of Global Trends, Demand And Competition 2020-2028 - Owned - July 24th, 2020
- Embryonic Stem-Cell Research: The Promise and the Reality ... - July 24th, 2020
- Chaperone-mediated autophagy regulates the pluripotency of ... - July 24th, 2020
- Genetic puzzle: How mice can be modified to help in the race to develop coronavirus therapies - Genetic Literacy Project - July 24th, 2020
- 'Embryoids' not the breakthrough they're made out to be - The B.C. Catholic - July 23rd, 2020
- RACK7 recognizes H3.3G34R mutation to suppress expression of MHC class II complex components and their delivery pathway in pediatric glioblastoma -... - July 23rd, 2020
- Stem Cell And Regenerative Therapy Market Monisizering Growth Opportunities COVID-19 2024 - 3rd Watch News - July 22nd, 2020