Stem cells have been cultured to treat many different of conditions
Lewis Houghton/Science Photo Library
By Andy Coghlan
Last week, two people with type 1 diabetes became the first to receive implants containing cells generated from embryonic stem cells to treat their condition. The hope is that when blood sugar levels rise, the implants will release insulin to restore them to normal.
About 10 per cent of the 422 million people who have diabetes worldwide have type 1 diabetes, which is caused by the bodys immune system mistakenly attacking cells in the pancreas that make insulin. For more than 15 years, researchers have been trying to find a way to use stem cells to replace these, but there have been several hurdles not least, how to get the cells to work in the body.
Viacyte, a company in San Diego, California, is trying a way to get round this. The firms credit-card-sized implant, called PEC-Direct, contain cells derived from stem cells that can mature inside the body into the specialised islet cells that get destroyed in type 1 diabetes.
The implant sits just below the skin, in the forearm, for example, and is intended to automatically compensate for the missing islet cells, releasing insulin when blood sugar levels get too high.
If it works, we would call it a functional cure, says Paul Laikind, of Viacyte. Its not truly a cure because we wouldnt address the autoimmune cause of the disease, but we would be replacing the missing cells.
A similardevice has already been safety tested in 19 people with diabetes, using smaller numbers of cells. Once implanted, the progenitor cells housed in the device did mature into islet cells, but the trial didnt use enough cells to try to treat the condition.
Now Viacyte has implanted PEC-Direct packages containing the cells into two people with type 1 diabetes. A third person will also get the implant in the near future. Once inside the body, pores in the outer fabric of the device allow blood vessels to penetrate inside, nourishing the islet progenitor cells. Once these cells have matured which should take about three months the hope is that they will be able to monitor sugar levels in the blood, and release insulin as required.
If effective, it could free people with type 1 diabetes from having to closely monitor their blood sugar levels and inject insulin, although they would need to take immunosuppressive drugs to stop their bodies from destroying the new cells.
If successful, this strategy could really change the way we treat type 1 diabetes in the future, says Emily Burns of the charity Diabetes UK. A similar way to treat the condition with pancreas cells from organ donors has been in use for nearly 20 years, successfully freeing recipients from insulin injections, but a shortage of donors limits how many people are able to have this treatment.
This isnt a problem with stem cells. The embryonic stem cells used to make the progenitor cells originally came from a spare early stage embryo donated by a woman who was having IVF. Because embryonic stem cells, and the progenitor cells made from them, can be multiplied in limitless amounts, Laikind says that, if the treatment works, the method would be able to treat everyone who has the condition.
A limitless source of human insulin-producing cells would be a major step forward on the journey to a potential cure for diabetes, says James Shapiro at the University of Alberta, Canada, who has collaborated with Viacyte on this project, and who pioneered the donor pancreas method decades ago. For sure, this will in the end prove to be a durable landmark for progress in diabetes care.
Correction: This article has been updated to clarify that the cells used in this study are derived from stem cells, and to correct the size of the implanted pouch.
More on these topics:
- 1st transplant using liver cells from embryonic stem cells conducted on baby in Japan - The Mainichi - May 26th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast... - Azizsalon News - May 26th, 2020
- Anti-Aging: HGH Can Reduce Biological Age by One Year and a Half Study Shows - Gilmore Health News - May 26th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market by Treatment,Application,End Users and Geography Forecast To... - Azizsalon News - May 21st, 2020
- Georgetown student takes Islamic bioethics research at QF to Washington and wins - Gulf Times - May 21st, 2020
- Dose-dependent functions of SWI/SNF BAF in permitting and inhibiting cell proliferation in vivo - Science Advances - May 21st, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market to witness an impressive growth during - News by aeresearch - May 20th, 2020
- Qatar- Georgetown student takes Islamic bioethics research at QF to Washington and wins - MENAFN.COM - May 15th, 2020
- Millions of Human Cells Have Been Grown Inside Mice Embryos - Newsweek - May 14th, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics Reports First Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Provides Business Update - Business Wire - May 14th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- The Cell Therapy Industry to 2028: Global Market & Technology Analysis, Company Profiles of 309 Players (170 Involved in Stem Cells) -... - May 14th, 2020
- 2025 Projections: Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market Report by Type, Application and Regional Outlook - AlgosOnline - May 14th, 2020
- Tolero Pharmaceuticals Announces Expansion of the Zella 102 Study in Patients with Intermediate and High-Risk Myelodysplastic Syndromes (MDS) - The... - May 14th, 2020
- Strides in Medical Tourism Market Key Driver of Low-cost Patient Care in Globalized Healthcare Systems, Notes TMR - Stockhouse - May 14th, 2020
- Uses and Abuses of Scientific Consensus - National Review - May 13th, 2020
- Lineage Cell Therapeutics Reports New Data With OpRegen for the Treatment of Dry AMD With Geographic Atrophy - Business Wire - May 13th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on STEM CELL THERAPY MARKET 2020 TO 2027-EXPANDING WORLDWIDE WITH TOP PLAYERS FUTURE BUSINESS SCOPE AND INVESTMENT ANALYSIS REPORT -... - May 13th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market 2020 | Growth Drivers, Challenges, Trends, Market Dynamics and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 10th, 2020
- Louis Bacon Is Having The Time Of His Life - Dealbreaker - May 10th, 2020
- Lineage Cell Therapeutics Reports New Data With OpRegen for the Treatment of Dry AMD With Geographic Atrophy - Yahoo Finance - May 10th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells, Germ Cells, and Cell-Derived ... - May 7th, 2020
- Inside the twisted world of 'rapist' designer Peter Nygard: book - The Loppy - May 4th, 2020
- Lack of investment is the biggest challenge in stem cell research - Express Healthcare - May 2nd, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics: Revolutionary Potential But Extremely Early - Seeking Alpha - April 30th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market Overview, Top Companies, Region, Application and Global Forecast by 2026 - Latest Herald - April 27th, 2020
- Role of MyHC-embryonic protein in muscle development and disease - Tech Explorist - April 27th, 2020
- The Republicans who were once so pro-life they fought over one woman on life support now want to sacrifice grandma for the economy - The Independent - April 26th, 2020
- Sustainably Yours: The importance of understanding and trusting in Science - The Phuket News - April 26th, 2020
- Mogrify and Sangamo announce collaboration and exclusive license agreement for Mogrify's iPSC- and ESC-derived regulatory T cells - SelectScience - April 24th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Outlook, Recent Trends and Growth Forecast 2020-2025 - Cole of Duty - April 24th, 2020
- Mogrify and Sangamo in license agreement for 'off-the-shelf' CAR-Treg - BioPharma-Reporter.com - April 23rd, 2020
- Lozier praises promising, and ethical, blindness study - OneNewsNow - April 23rd, 2020
- A potent CBP/p300-Snail interaction inhibitor suppresses tumor growth and metastasis in wild-type p53-expressing cancer - Science Advances - April 23rd, 2020
- PHF20L1 as a H3K27me2 reader coordinates with transcriptional repressors to promote breast tumorigenesis - Science Advances - April 21st, 2020
- Cyborg computer chips will get their brain from human neurons - SYFY WIRE - April 11th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Expected to Boost the Global Industry Growth in the Near Future - Germany English News - April 11th, 2020
- Germline mutation of MDM4, a major p53 regulator, in a familial syndrome of defective telomere maintenance - Science Advances - April 11th, 2020
- Turning Back the Clock on Aging Cells - The New York Times - March 31st, 2020
- A New Way to Study HIV's Impact on the Brain - Global Health News Wire - March 31st, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cell Market Analysis and Forecasts to 2027 By Recent Trends, Developments In Manufacturing Technology And Regional Growth... - March 31st, 2020
- Laboratory model looking at how a HIV infection impacts the brain - Health Europa - March 31st, 2020
- Cell Banking Outsourcing Market With Economic Growth And Five Forces Analysis By 2021 - Lake Shore Gazette - March 30th, 2020
- Global Human Embryonic Stem Cells Market Provides an In-Depth Insight of Sales Analysis, Growth Forecast and Upcoming Trends Opportunities by Types... - March 26th, 2020
- PD-1 Blocker Safe in Childhood Cancers. But Does It Work? - MedPage Today - March 19th, 2020
- YAP1 is a potent driver of the onset and progression of oral squamous cell carcinoma - Science Advances - March 19th, 2020
- Can hybrid embryos save the white rhinos from extinction? - Science 101 - March 17th, 2020
- Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies Market 2020: Potential Growth, Challenges, Attractive Valuation | Key Players: Anterogen, Holostem Advanced... - March 17th, 2020
- Worldwide Cell Therapy Market Projections to 2028 - The Largest Expansion Will Be in Diseases of the Central Nervous System, Cancer and Cardiovascular... - March 15th, 2020
- 22.5% Growth Rate for Synthetic Stem Cells Market by 2028 | Overview, Top Technologies, Key Insights and Company Profiles - News Times - March 15th, 2020
- Single-Cell Analysis of Ovarian Cortex Fails to Find Stem Cells - The Scientist - March 7th, 2020
- Organoids, iPSCs, and advanced cell models: Advancing discovery from basic research to drug discovery - Science Magazine - March 2nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Opportunity Analysis and Industry Forecast up to 2017 2025 - Jewish Life News - March 2nd, 2020
- The very interesting life of the Hydractinia - Jill Lopez - February 28th, 2020
- Intrinsic disorder controls two functionally distinct dimers of the master transcription factor PU.1 - Science Advances - February 22nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market: Business Opportunities, Current Trends and Industry Analysis by 2018 2028 - Instant Tech News - February 21st, 2020
- Anatomy of a grant: Ashley Kramer's yearlong journey to finding her doctoral thesis - The South End - February 21st, 2020
- The Challenge of Bioethics to Decision-Making in the UK - Westminster Abbey - February 21st, 2020
- The 411 on Stem Cells: What They Are and Why It's Important to Be Educated - Legal Examiner - February 17th, 2020
- Will Cultured Meat Soon Be A Common Sight In Supermarkets Across The Globe? - Forbes - February 17th, 2020
- Genetic Secrets of How a Strange Marine Animal Produces Unlimited Eggs and Sperm Over Its Lifetime - SciTechDaily - February 15th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Report by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application Forecast 2020-2025, Trends, Proportions, Share and SWOT. - Chronicle 99 - February 15th, 2020
- Embryonic Stem Cells - February 11th, 2020
- 3. Embryonic Stem Cells | Stem Cells and the Future of ... - February 5th, 2020
- Embryonic Stem Cell Fact Sheet - February 5th, 2020
- Embryonic Stem Cell Research Pros and Cons - Biology Wise - February 5th, 2020
- Early onset Parkinsons might begin in the womb: Prevention a possibility - The New Daily - February 1st, 2020
- How does the embryo make all its parts at just the right moments? - Knowable Magazine - January 31st, 2020
- Biobanking Market to Witness an Outstanding Growth During 2019-2030 :Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., PHC Holdings Corporation, QIAGEN NV - Media... - January 31st, 2020
- What are Progenitor Cells? Exploring Neural, Myeloid and Hematopoietic Progenitor Cells - Technology Networks - January 29th, 2020
- Lab-Grown Heart Muscles Have Been Transplanted Into a Human For The First Time - ScienceAlert - January 29th, 2020
- Antibodies recognizing the C terminus of PP2A catalytic subunit are unsuitable for evaluating PP2A activity and holoenzyme composition - Science - January 29th, 2020
- Comprehensive Research on Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market Report 2026 | Astellas Pharma Inc/ Ocata Therapeutics ,STEMCELL Technologies... - January 26th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Anticipated to Grow at a Significant Pace by 2020 - The Trusted Chronicle - January 26th, 2020
- What I Learned About Marriage as a Survivor of Abuse - SWAAY - January 26th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Current Trends and Future Growth Dagoretti News - Dagoretti News - January 22nd, 2020
- Memphis Meats raises $161m to build its cell-based meat platform: 'We have a pretty clear path to bringing prices down to cost parity' -... - January 22nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market Predicted to Accelerate the Growth by 2017-2025 Dagoretti News - Dagoretti News - January 17th, 2020
- Team builds the 1st living robots - EarthSky - January 17th, 2020
- Team Builds the First Living Robots - Newswise - January 17th, 2020