2nd ever HIV patient in remission after stem cell transplant: Doctors originally appeared on abcnews.go.com
A man who previously tested positive for HIV has shown no trace of the virus that causes AIDS since receiving a stem cell transplant more than a year ago, doctors say.
The patient, a resident of the United Kingdom who has chosen to remain anonymous, appears to be the second known person to be declared free of HIV since the pandemic began.
The latest case study was published online Tuesday by the scientific journal Nature and will be presented at the Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections in Seattle this month.
(MORE: 'Miles to go' in fight against HIV, UN report warns)
Both HIV-positive patients were diagnosed with cancer and received bone-marrow transplants from donors carrying two copies of a rare genetic mutation, known as CCR5-delta 32, that made them resistant to HIV-1, the most widespread and pathogenic strain of the human immunodeficiency viruses.
The first patient, later identified as American Timothy Ray Brown, underwent two such transplants in Berlin in 2007 and 2008 to treat acute myeloid leukemia after chemotherapy and radiation failed, according to the case report published in the New England Journal of Medicine in 2009.
Brown has been cancer-free and in sustained remission from HIV ever since, as far as doctors can tell.
Blood samples are seen here in a stock photo. (STOCK PHOTO/Getty Images)
The second patient received the transplant in London in 2016 after being diagnosed with advanced Hodgkin lymphoma and going through less intensive chemotherapy.
Regular testing confirmed the so-called "London patient" also has been in long-term remission for the past 18 months since discontinuing antiretroviral therapy, according to the case report, which was carried out by researchers at University College London and Imperial College London with teams at the Universities of Cambridge and Oxford.
"By achieving remission in a second patient using a similar approach, we have shown that the Berlin patient was not an anomaly, and that it really was the treatment approaches that eliminated HIV in these two people," said Dr. Ravindra Gupta, lead author of the new study and University College London's Division of Infection and Immunity professor, in a statement.
(MORE: Man jailed for life after deliberately infecting men with HIV)
The researchers cautioned that a stem cell transplant is not appropriate as a standard treatment for HIV due to the toxicity of chemotherapy given before the transplant.
"While it is too early to say with certainty that our patient is now cured of HIV, and doctors will continue to monitor his condition, the apparent success of haematopoietic stem cell transplantation offers hope in the search for a long-awaited cure for HIV/AIDS," said Dr. Eduardo Olavarria, medical director of London's Hammersmith Hospital blood and marrow transplantation unit and Imperial College London haematology professor, in a statement.
PHOTO: Timothy Ray Brown poses for a photograph, March 4, 2019, in Seattle. (Manuel Valdes/AP)
Some 36.9 million people worldwide were living with HIV/AIDS in 2017, and just 59 percent were receiving antiretroviral therapy, which are medicines to suppress the HIV virus.
Acquired immunodeficiency syndrome, or AIDS, is the most advanced stage of HIV infection. Almost one million people died from AIDS-related illnesses around the world in 2017, according to data from the Joint United Nations Program on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS).
Early diagnosis and prompt treatment of HIV can help prevent progression.
"At the moment, the only way to treat HIV is with medications that suppress the virus, which people need to take for their entire lives, posing a particular challenge in developing countries," Gupta said. "Finding a way to eliminate the virus entirely is an urgent global priority, but is particularly difficult because the virus integrates into the white blood cells of its host."
Read the original post:
2nd ever HIV patient in remission after stem cell ...
- Viracta Therapeutics to Host Key Opinion Leader Call on the Treatment of EBV-Associated Lymphoma - Yahoo Finance - May 30th, 2020
- As Japan reopens, coronavirus testing slowed by bureaucracy and staff shortages - KDAL News - May 30th, 2020
- COTA, Inc. Announces Participation in the 2020 American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) Virtual Scientific Program and DIA 2020 Virtual Global... - May 30th, 2020
- Scots mum, 28, who lost newborn baby tragically dies from lung inflammation weeks after cancer all clear - The Scottish Sun - May 30th, 2020
- "COVID-19: Treatment or vaccines? What seems more likely, and what could be more beneficial?" - Kalkine Media - May 30th, 2020
- Intravenous infusion of human umbilical cord Wharton's jelly-derived mesenchymal stem cells as a potential treatment for patients with COVID-19... - May 29th, 2020
- Viracta Therapeutics to Host Key Opinion Leader Call on the Treatment of EBV-Associated Lymphoma - PRNewswire - May 29th, 2020
- As Japan reopens, coronavirus testing slowed by bureaucracy and staff shortages - Physician's Weekly - May 28th, 2020
- VICTORY BELL: GMC's Coach Williams reaches remission | News - The Union-Recorder - May 28th, 2020
- DKMS-BMST Foundation India completes one year of operation in India - Express Healthcare - May 28th, 2020
- Studying the development of ovarian cancer with organoids - Science Codex - May 28th, 2020
- World Blood Cancer Day 2020: Bring down your risk of this condition with easy diet tips - TheHealthSite - May 28th, 2020
- Kyle Larson's First Payday After His NASCAR Suspension is Smaller Than You Might Think - Sportscasting - May 26th, 2020
- COVID-19: The Prevention Prescription - The New Indian Express - May 26th, 2020
- We must follow the rules to keep out coronavirus - Gulf News - May 26th, 2020
- Japanese newborn to receive the worlds first liver stem cell - News Landed - May 23rd, 2020
- First American to Receive Placental Cell Treatment For COVID-19 is an Acclaimed Broadway Scenic Designer - Science Times - May 23rd, 2020
- We now have a special power to kill the virus - Bangalore Mirror - May 23rd, 2020
- In the race to find a Covid-19 cure, leaders must not forget other diseases in need of research funds - The National - May 22nd, 2020
- Indian tennis: For injury-plagued Yuki Bhambri, the lockdown is both a chance and another challenge - Scroll.in - May 22nd, 2020
- Who Believe? Chad Coulter's spirit lives on through his son on and off the field - Dave Campbell's Texas Football - May 19th, 2020
- Mike Tyson reveals doctors gave him translucent blood injection that left him feeling weird during stem cel - The Sun - May 19th, 2020
- Doctor, Heal Thyself: Physician Burnout In The Wake Of Covid-19 - Forbes - May 19th, 2020
- Outbreak on edge of Navajo Nation overwhelms rural hospital - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 19th, 2020
- More than 290000 Covid-19 cases in Mena - MEED - May 19th, 2020
- Beware This COVID-19 Vaccine 'Study' From an 80s Teen Tech Titan and a Carnivorous Plant Smuggler - The Daily Beast - May 19th, 2020
- Higher risk of infection, changes to treatment makes COVID-19 a double threat for cancer patients - theday.com - May 16th, 2020
- Nancy Davidson describes plans for reopening the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance as COVID-19 wave recedes - The Cancer Letter - May 16th, 2020
- The Latest Technological Innovations in Orthopedic Surgery 2020 Technology - IMC Grupo - May 16th, 2020
- The first breakthrough coronavirus antibody drug might finally be here - BGR - May 16th, 2020
- Coronavirus: The trials and triumphs of UAE residents - Gulf News - May 16th, 2020
- Daughter of former journalist who died of colon cancer battling cancer of the bones - Nairobi News - May 16th, 2020
- Cancer treatment inspires new dad to raise 18k for NNUH with mass head shave - Eastern Daily Press - May 16th, 2020
- Doubts cast on claims that '19m Brits have had coronavirus' - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 16th, 2020
- UAE's first Covid-19 patient to recover after stem-cell therapy tells of medical journey - The National - May 12th, 2020
- Doctors Say Inflammation Might be the Root of COVID-19 Along with Other Diseases Such as Cancer and Dementia - Tech Times - May 12th, 2020
- Umbilical cord stem cells have the potential to treat COVID-19 - Open Access Government - May 12th, 2020
- Growing Number of Patients Suffering From Neurological Disorder to Support the Growth of Global Autologous Cell Therapy Market, TMR - PRNewswire - May 12th, 2020
- Q&A: 'Survivor' champ Ethan Zohn's deep Colorado connection, who he was shocked to see on the beach and his epic episode - Colorado Springs Gazette - May 12th, 2020
- EDITORIAL: Excessive haste in approving COVID-19 drugs is a no-no : The Asahi Shimbun - Asahi Shimbun - May 12th, 2020
- Tens of thousands of cancer patients STILL havent received NHS coronavirus shielding letters - The Sun - May 12th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Latest updates on COVID-19 crisis around the world - Outlook India - May 10th, 2020
- Needs way to measure pain besides the scale of 1-10 - Coastal Courier - May 1st, 2020
- Brave intensive care nurse, 27, diagnosed with rare cancer just weeks after dream wedding dies of disease - The Sun - May 1st, 2020
- RIP Rishi Kapoor! Succumbing to Leukemia, Veteran Actor Dies at 67 in Mumbai, Here is all You Need to Know Ab - India.com - May 1st, 2020
- The teenager who survived cancer, sepsis and a collapsed lung - Wales Online - May 1st, 2020
- Shares of Mesoblast Tumbled Over 20% Today After Doubling Last Week - The Motley Fool - April 29th, 2020
- THE BENEFITS OF TADALAFIL FOR ENLARGED PROSTATE AND ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION - RecentlyHeard.com - April 29th, 2020
- Cancer treatment made me infertile at 29heres how Im planning to have a family now - Well+Good - April 27th, 2020
- Incarceration Is Killing Us - Truthout - April 27th, 2020
- Coronavirus Doctors experiment with stem cell therapy on COVID-19 patients CBS News 9:39 AM - KTVQ Billings News - April 26th, 2020
- Call for 'sofa life-savers' as stem cell register takes a hit - Hereford Times - April 26th, 2020
- How effective is PLX cell therapy in treating coronavirus? Experts answer all queries and more - India TV News - April 24th, 2020
- VIDEO: Is It Allergies or COVID-19? - HealthDay Live - HealthDay Coronavirus Liveblog - April 24th, 2020
- HealthDay Reports: More Good News on Remdesivir's Power to Treat COVID-19 - HealthDay Coronavirus Liveblog - April 22nd, 2020
- 'Stem cell therapy more effective on Covid-19' - Korea Biomedical Review - April 21st, 2020
- Planned Clinical Trial of Allogeneic Stem Cell Therapy Remestemcel-L in Patients with COVID-19 - Cancer Network - April 21st, 2020
- What are the underlying conditions causing more serious illness from coronavirus? - KSBW The Central Coast - April 20th, 2020
- What are the underlying conditions causing more serious illness from coronavirus? - WPBF West Palm Beach - April 18th, 2020
- Devoted coach, father and husband remembered for 'bringing out the best' in people throughout life - Elk Grove Citizen - April 18th, 2020
- Helping the helpers - The Jewish Standard - April 18th, 2020
- List of coronavirus treatments now being tested in clinical trials - Business Insider UK - April 18th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Set to Witness an Uptick during 2017 to 2025 - Science In Me - April 13th, 2020
- A Quarantine Trendsetter - Long Island Weekly News - April 13th, 2020
- What We Know About Masks and the New Coronavirus - The New Yorker - April 13th, 2020
- TISSUE REGENERATION TECHNOLOGIES Announces That Its First Coronavirus Clinical Trial Has Been Initiated Utilizing Unfocused Shockwave Therapy... - April 13th, 2020
- Michael Schumacher health: The truth about the F1 champ's recovery after a devastating head injury in 2013 - EconoTimes - April 13th, 2020
- Michael Schumacher health: Timeline of F1 champion's recovery bid - Express.co.uk - April 13th, 2020
- Column: Scientific advancements in the time of COVID-19 and what they offer us - The Daily Tar Heel - April 8th, 2020
- COVID-19 Tips for Patients with Myelodysplastic Syndromes and Acute Myeloid Leukemia - Curetoday.com - April 8th, 2020
- Medical 'Wonder Women' making a difference in the region's fight on coronavirus - The Arab Weekly - April 8th, 2020
- Ive had Seder in isolation, and this is my message of hope - The Jerusalem Post - April 8th, 2020
- Did a Cult Hair-Care Line Cause Thousands of Women to Lose Their Hair? - The New York Times - April 8th, 2020
- Coronavirus can cause loss of smell and scientists think they know why - ZME Science - April 8th, 2020
- Former England footballer Geoff Thomas backs Mirror campaign to give NHS heroes a medal - Mirror Online - April 8th, 2020
- Roma woman tells of her 'life-changing' MS treatment - Whitsunday Times - April 8th, 2020
- Working Together Working Together: Indianapolis couple offers Airbnb to healthcare workers Nicole Griffin 1:41 PM - WRTV Indianapolis - March 30th, 2020
- Smith trying to turn the corner on cancer battle - Johnson City Press (subscription) - March 30th, 2020
- Adam Castillejo 'feared dying of cancer more than Aids and considered ending it all at Dignitas' Daily Mail - westofthepond.com - March 30th, 2020
- Cell and gene therapy startup ElevateBio raises $170 million - Yahoo Lifestyle - March 30th, 2020