When Dianne Schneider found out her friend and fellow parishioner Joni Eickhoff was trying to raise money to pay for an unconventional medical treatment for her pulmonary cystic fibrosis, she knew what she had to do perform a concert.
Schneider, who is a longtime music minister at St. Marys Cathedral, didnt think she would ever say that. But a few years ago, Eickhoff encouraged Schneider to record a CD of her music with fellow musician Claudette Sekutera. The CD of contemporary Christian music was recorded in 2012 and half of the funds raised by the sale of the CD have gone to benefit St. Marys Cathedral.
She would always come up and say how beautiful the music was and she was the one who always told me I should record a CD, Schneider remembered. She just wanted so much for me to do a concert back then, but I didnt really want to. I dont know if it was that I didnt want to draw the attention to myself or that deep down I didnt think anyone would come.
When Schneider saw the flyer in church asking for donations for Eickhoffs GoFundMe account, she thought differently.
I kept thinking about it and thought that this is the time for a concert because now it has a purpose, she said.
The benefit concert is scheduled for 3 to 4:30 p.m. Sunday at St. Marys Cathedral. Besides Sekutera, Schneider will perform with Amy and Andy Schneider, Jeanne Allen and Sue Stueben. There is no charge to attend, but a freewill offering will be accepted. A group from Woodmens Insurance has offered to match the proceeds. Schneider will also be selling her CD Gratitude for $10, with half of those proceeds going to Eickhoff as well.
Eickhoff was more than just a little surprised by Schneiders offer.
You talk about tears that come down, Eickhoff said. Shes just one of a kind. Shes my guardian angel.
Pulmonary cystic fibrosis is an inherited disease that causes thickened mucus to block airways, making it difficult to breathe.
Diagnosed in 2015, Joni had all but exhausted conventional medical treatments when she and her husband, Ramon, learned about stem cell treatments at a pulmonary clinic in Dallas, Texas.
The cost was prohibitive, though, as the procedure was not covered by Medicare or insurance. The Eickhoff family set up a GoFundMe account to raise $11,000, which included the cost of transportation to and from the clinic. They posted a flyer at St. Marys Cathedral and shortly after that, Eickhoffs husband was approached by another parishioner who offered to cover the entire cost.
The Eickhoffs accepted the offer on the condition that they be able to pay back the gift. The donor agreed and Joni underwent the procedure on April 20 and has been steadily improving. Since the treatment, her husband said, she has gone from being able to take 56 steps without oxygen to 101 steps without oxygen.
Each time we do a walk test without oxygen, her recovery time has gone to five or six minutes, where before it was only a couple of minutes, he said.
It was very successful, Joni said. All I did was sit in a chair.
Eickhoff said drawing the blood at the clinic was a six-hour procedure over the course of two days, three hours each day. When she asked her doctor when she could expect to see results, the doctor told her three to six months.
Im just doing so good, she said, after just a little over three months. Of course, when I talk, it takes a lot of air.
Eickhoff and her husband have been so encouraged by her results, they want to spread the word about stem cell treatments. Ramon said there are five similar clinics in the United States and they advertise an 82 to 83 percent success rate.
If you can do the stem cell treatment, you can be off oxygen, Joni said. There are 150,000 people that are dying that dont have to.
Colleen Gallion is the associate editor of the West Nebraska Register.
Go here to read the rest:
Friends come together for benefit concert for Joni Eickhoff - Grand Island Independent
- The global wound care market is growing at a CAGR of over 5% during the forecast period20182024 - Yahoo Finance - October 15th, 2019
- Saving rhinos with stem cells; $5.5 billion stem cell ballot measure readied - The San Diego Union-Tribune - October 12th, 2019
- BEYOND LOCAL: Expert recommends 'path of cautious optimism' about the future of stem cell treatment - ThoroldNews.com - October 12th, 2019
- Microbiome research needs a gut check - The Globe and Mail - October 12th, 2019
- BEYOND LOCAL: Expert recommends 'path of cautious optimism' about the future of stem cell treatment - GuelphToday - October 11th, 2019
- Biohack Your Way To Beauty And Health Using Your DNA And Stem Cells At These Wellness Retreats Around The World - Singapore Tatler - October 11th, 2019
- I donated my embryos years ago. Now I'm friends with the mom who received them - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 11th, 2019
- Man with at least 17 children sues fertility clinic for being 'incredibly irresponsible' with his sperm - Genetic Literacy Project - October 11th, 2019
- Senior, caregivers conference and expo coming Oct. 11 - The Daily Courier - October 9th, 2019
- Stem cell research is a good thing | Opinion - Chart - October 6th, 2019
- Regenerative medicine today: Are diabetes and vascular disease treatments ready for the clinic? - Science Magazine - October 5th, 2019
- Dr Naveen Pemmaraju Outlines the Symptoms of Myelofibrosis - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - October 5th, 2019
- Businesses Sponsor Another Season Of Movies In The Park Square - Osprey Observer - October 5th, 2019
- Stem Cell Manufacturing | Research Report Overview By Top Key Players, Opportunities, Key Drivers, Application and Regional Outlook To 2027 -... - October 5th, 2019
- Sigilon Therapeutics approaches the clinic - Vantage - September 20th, 2019
- Research report explores the Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market - Zebvo - September 20th, 2019
- 'It feels amazing,' says Alabama man now first in the state to be free of sickle cell after gene therapy - Face2Face Africa - September 20th, 2019
- Michael Schumacher Is 'Conscious', Released From Paris Hospital After Experimental Treatment - International Business Times - September 20th, 2019
- Fighting for a cure: Tennis benefit to fund ALS research - Auburn Villager - September 20th, 2019
- Living With a Secondary Blood Cancer - Curetoday.com - September 20th, 2019
- Scientists Discover New Strategy That May Protect Against Hair-Loss During Cancer Treatments - Good News Network - September 20th, 2019
- Clinical trial of stem cell therapy for traumatic spinal ... - September 17th, 2019
- Autologous stem cell transplant - Type - Mayo Clinic - June 1st, 2019
- Stem cell therapy for hip | Mayo Clinic Connect - May 11th, 2019
- Next Generation Stem Cell - Professional medical clinic - April 7th, 2019
- N.Y. Attorney General Sues Manhattan Stem Cell Clinic ... - April 6th, 2019
- ThriveMD | Colorado's Experts in Stem Cells & Regenerative ... - March 29th, 2019
- Top Rated Stem Cell Therapy Clinic in Denver & Vail ... - March 16th, 2019
- South Florida Stem Cell Center | Regenerative Therapy Clinic - March 16th, 2019
- Mayo Clinic Q and A: Stem cell therapy for arthritis ... - March 7th, 2019
- COPD and stem cell treatment | Mayo Clinic Connect - March 7th, 2019
- GARM Stem Cell Clinic | Roatan - March 2nd, 2019
- Stem Cell Clinic Treatment Jupiter FL Alternative ... - March 1st, 2019
- Is This Stem-Cell Clinic Really Making Cancer Vaccines ... - February 12th, 2019
- Stem cells treatment clinic - Effective stem cell treatment - February 1st, 2019
- Vitality Healthcare - Home - January 28th, 2019
- About Us - U.S. Stem Cell Clinic - December 19th, 2018
- Brandon Stem Cell Clinic - December 19th, 2018
- Illinois Stem Cell Clinic - Illinois Stem Cell Clinic ... - October 5th, 2018
- Wisconsin Stem Cell Clinic - September 19th, 2018
- FDA Response - U.S. Stem Cell Clinic - June 29th, 2018
- World Stem Cell Clinic - For a better quality of life | WSCC - June 18th, 2018
- Stem Cell Clinic Palmetto - Stem Cell Therapy Greenwood ... - June 18th, 2018
- Top Stem Cell Therapy Clinic in Vail & Denver, Colorado ... - September 20th, 2017
- Stem Cell Therapy - American Regenerative Clinic, Stem ... - September 19th, 2017
- Zika kills brain cancer cells, may find use as therapy - The San Diego Union-Tribune - September 5th, 2017
- FDA Reaffirms Its Commitment to the Approval of Stem Cell Therapies Amidst Enforcement Actions Against ... - Lexology (registration) - September 5th, 2017
- US FDA steps up enforcement against unscrupulous stem cell firms - BioPharma-Reporter.com - September 3rd, 2017
- FDA Reaffirms Its Commitment to the Approval of Stem Cell Therapies Amidst Enforcement Actions Against ... - JD Supra (press release) - September 3rd, 2017
- Around the world - Bend Bulletin - August 29th, 2017
- Daily on Healthcare: Lack of bare counties doesn't solve Obamacare's problems - Washington Examiner - August 29th, 2017
- How a UCSF study could change the lives of babies in the womb and maybe help California's stem cell program in ... - San Francisco Business Times - August 25th, 2017
- Stem Cell Study for Dogs - MyWabashValley - August 23rd, 2017
- Joint Preservation vs. Replacement: What's Your Best Option? - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic (blog) - August 23rd, 2017
- Bio-inspired Materials Give Boost to Regenerative Medicine - Bioscience Technology - August 22nd, 2017
- Fraud Alert! Unproven Stem Cell Use Prompts International Call to Action - American Council on Science and Health - August 20th, 2017
- 'Unexpected fountain of youth' found in cardiac stem cells, researcher says - FOX31 Denver - August 16th, 2017
- New Mayo Clinic facility aims to increase lungs available for transplant - First Coast News - August 10th, 2017
- Surrey teen rallies stem cell donors to help with 'desperate' need for South Asians - Surrey Now-Leader - August 2nd, 2017
- Tampa Florida Stem Cell Clinic - Don't Operate - Regenerate - July 12th, 2017
- Dorothy Jean Kercheval Garrigan - The Messenger (subscription) - July 12th, 2017
- Private clinics are peddling untested stem cell treatments it's unethical and dangerous - Yahoo News UK - July 9th, 2017
- Private clinics' unproven stem cell treatment is unsafe and unethical ... - Business Standard - July 9th, 2017
- Stem Cells Play a Role in Acute Myeloid Leukemia Relapse - Technology Networks - June 30th, 2017
- NBA Star John Salley Partners with Stem Cell Centers of Excellence ... - Market Exclusive - June 30th, 2017
- Making Babies, No Sex Necessary - The Atlantic - June 28th, 2017
- Stem Cell Stem Cell Treatments by Clinic 42 - June 25th, 2017
- Powerful boost for bad skin days - Inquirer.net - June 22nd, 2017
- Here's Why US Stem Cell Inc (OTCMKTS:USRM) Shares Just ... - The Oracle Dispatch - June 21st, 2017
- GE and the Mayo Clinic back software to bring cancer-fighting gene ... - TechCrunch - June 21st, 2017
- Two Notable Announcements in a Week for US Stem Cell Inc ... - Street Register - June 20th, 2017
- Stem Cell Therapy for Glaucoma - Are We There Yet? - Newswise (press release) - June 17th, 2017
- Dr. Ruben A. Mesa of Arizona's Mayo Clinic named new director of ... - San Antonio Express-News (subscription) - June 14th, 2017
- Looking Back: June 9, 2017 - Fairbanks Daily News-Miner - June 9th, 2017
- Asymmetrex Director Comments on Positive Attributes of Private ... - PR Web (press release) - June 9th, 2017
- United Veterinary Center Norwalk Offers Stem Cell Therapy to Treat ... - MilTech - June 6th, 2017
- SpaceX to launch heart, bone health experiments to space station - CU Boulder Today - June 2nd, 2017
- Sickle cell cure is real, as this Kansas patient proves - Kansas City Star - May 30th, 2017
- Stem cell agency's response to questions about its performance ... - Capitol Weekly - May 24th, 2017
- US Stem Cell Inc (OTCMKTS:USRM) HEFFX Highlights - Live Trading News - May 24th, 2017