A promising stem cell therapy approach could soon provide a way to regenerate heart muscle damaged by heart attacks.
Researchers at Cedars-Sinai Heart Institute and The Johns Hopkins University harvested stem cells from the hearts of 17 heart attack patients and after prepping the cells, infused them back into the patients' hearts. Their study is published in the current issue of The Lancet.
The patients received the stem cell infusions about three months after their heart attacks.
Researchers found that six months after treatment, patients had significantly less scarring of the heart muscle and also showed a considerable increase the amount of healthy heart muscle, compared to eight post-heart attack patients studied who did not receive the stem cell infusions. One year after, scar size was reduced by about 50 percent.
"The damaged tissue of the heart was replaced by what looks like healthy myocardium," said Dr. Peter Johnston, a study co-author and an assistant professor of medicine at The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. "It's functioning better than the damaged myocardium in the control subjects, and there's evidence it's starting to contract and generate electrical signals the way healthy heart tissue does."
While this research is an early study designed to demonstrate that this stem cell therapy is safe, cardiologists say it's an approach that could potentially benefit millions of people who have suffered heart attacks. Damage to the heart muscle is permanent and irreparable, and little can be done to compensate for loss of heart function.
"In the U.S., six million patients have heart failure, and the vast majority have it because of a prior heart attack," said Johnston.
The damaged scar tissue that results from a heart attack diminishes heart function, which can ultimately lead to enlargement of the heart.
At best, Johnston said, there are measures doctors can try to reduce or compensate for the damage, but in many cases, heart failure ultimately sets in, often requiring mechanical support or a transplant.
"This type of therapy can save people's lives and reduce the chances of developing heart failure," he said.
Cardiac Regeneration A Promising Field
Other researchers have also had positive early results in experiments with stem cell therapy using different types of cells, including bone marrow cells and a combination of bone marrow and heart cells.
"It's exciting that studies using a number of different cell types are yielding similar results," said Dr. Joshua Hare, professor of cardiology and director of the University of Miami Interdisciplinary Stem Cell Institute.
The next steps, he said, include determining what the optimal cell types are and how much of the cells are needed to regenerate damaged tissue.
"We also need to move to larger clinical trials and measure whether patients are improving clinically and exhibiting a better quality of life after the therapy."
In an accompanying comment, Drs. Chung-Wah Siu amd Hung-Fat Tse of the University of Hong Kong wrote that given the promising results of these studies, health care providers will hopefully recognize the benefits that cardiac regeneration can offer.
And Hare added that someday, this type of regeneration can possibly offer hope to others who suffered other types of organ damage.
"This stategy might work in other organs," he said. "Maybe this can work in the brain, perhaps for people who had strokes."
Stem Cells May Help Regenerate Heart Muscle
- Stem Cell Therapy: Alternative Treatment to Hip & Knee ... - November 22nd, 2021
- How The Overlap Between Artificial Intelligence And Stem Cell Research Is Producing Exciting Results - Forbes - November 22nd, 2021
- Selma Blair Posts Nude Diving Photo After MS Stem Cell ... - November 22nd, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Reduces Need for Nearly 10% of Hip Replacements - Yale School of Medicine - November 22nd, 2021
- Stem cell therapy for heart failure lowers risk of adverse outcomes - Cardiovascular Business - November 22nd, 2021
- A second HIV patient may have been 'cured' of infection without stem cell treatment, in extremely rare case - CNN - November 22nd, 2021
- The Promise of Stem Cells to Help Children with Autism - Entrepreneur - November 22nd, 2021
- Global Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market Competition Forecast & Opportunities to 2026 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Galveston County Daily News - November 22nd, 2021
- Dr Pengyi Yang wins National Stem Cell Foundation Metcalf Prize - News - The University of Sydney - November 22nd, 2021
- BioRestorative Therapies Enters into Letter of Intent with PRC Clinical - BioSpace - November 22nd, 2021
- SC21- 21st century cellular medicines specialists - The Thaiger - November 22nd, 2021
- From asthma to cancer to infertility, the new treatments, jabs and meds making us healthier... - The Sun - November 22nd, 2021
- New hope for bowel cancer patients as fresh partnership between Carina Biotech and CellVec enables advancement of clinical trials. - Bio-IT World - November 22nd, 2021
- FDA Approves Merck's KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) as Adjuvant Therapy for Certain Patients With Renal Cell Carcinoma (RCC) Following Surgery - Business... - November 22nd, 2021
- Mum with brain fog and pins and needles in hands devastated by 'ticking time bomb' MS - Mirror.co.uk - November 22nd, 2021
- CAR T-cell therapy: Hear from a Canadian patient - CTV News - November 8th, 2021
- Talaris therapy ends need for immune drugs in transplant patients - - pharmaphorum - November 8th, 2021
- Treatment Sequencing Could Change With Complementary Combinations and CAR T Options in B-ALL - OncLive - November 8th, 2021
- Parkinson's gene therapy restores responses to dopamine-boosting drug in mouse models - FierceBiotech - November 8th, 2021
- Studies: CAR-T therapies superior to standard treatment in blood cancer - STAT - November 8th, 2021
- Salit Discusses the Use of Staging and Grading for Patients With GVHD to Choose Appropriate Treatment - Targeted Oncology - November 8th, 2021
- Orchard Therapeutics Reports Third Quarter 2021 Financial Results and Highlights Recent Business Updates - BioSpace - November 8th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Analytical Overview, Growth Factors, Demand, Trends and Forecast to 2026 - Northwest Diamond Notes - November 8th, 2021
- BioLineRx Announces an Oral Presentation and Three Poster Presentations at the 63rd American Society of Hematology (ASH) Annual Meeting &... - November 8th, 2021
- CRISPR Therapeutics Provides Business Update and Reports Third Quarter 2021 Financial Results - Yahoo Finance - November 8th, 2021
- Bacterial Infections Linked with Unapproved Stem Cell Treatments - Contagionlive.com - October 28th, 2021
- Team finds way to enhance stem cell therapy for CNS injuries - BioPharma-Reporter.com - October 28th, 2021
- Stem cell therapy can help combat common symptoms of aging - The Mountaineer - October 28th, 2021
- Stem Cells Used to Treat Avascular Necrosis of the Femoral Head - Yale School of Medicine - October 28th, 2021
- Vitti Labs Announces FDA Approval of IND Application for Phase II Clinical Trial of Combination Mesenchymal Stem Cell and Exosome Treatment of Novel... - October 28th, 2021
- Biohaven Enrolls Phase 1a/1b Clinical Trial of BHV-1100, Lead Asset from its ARM (Antibody Recruiting Molecule) Platform, in Combination with NK Cell... - October 28th, 2021
- The Power of the Immune System: New Treatment for Painful Blood Cancer Side Effect - Curetoday.com - October 28th, 2021
- Global Cell Therapy Market Research Report 2021: Opportunities with the Approval of Kymriah and Yescarta Across Various Countries -... - October 28th, 2021
- Pursuing Optimal Therapy Remains a Challenge in Indolent B-Cell Lymphoma - Targeted Oncology - October 28th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report by Cell Source, by Type, by Therapeutic Application, by End-User, by Region - Global Forecast to 2026 -... - October 16th, 2021
- Harvard's R&D alliance with Resilience to advance manufacture of complex medicines - Harvard Gazette - October 16th, 2021
- A New Line of Defense in Blood Cancer: Natural Killer Cell Therapy - Curetoday.com - October 16th, 2021
- Dr. Kahl on the Potential Utility of Frontline CAR T-Cell Therapy in MCL - OncLive - October 16th, 2021
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market By Type (Allogeneic Mesenchymal Stem Cells, Bone Marrow Transplant, Adipose Tissue Stem Cells) and By... - October 16th, 2021
- Orchard Therapeutics Outlines Comprehensive Presence at the European Society of Gene & Cell Therapy Congress - Yahoo Finance - October 16th, 2021
- Taking aim at the brain, Takeda strikes up cell therapy R&D alliance with Immusoft - MedCity News - October 16th, 2021
- Dr. Erba on the Evolution of Treatment in MCL - OncLive - October 16th, 2021
- Newer Agents for DLBCL Show Potential for Earlier Use in the Course of Treatment - Targeted Oncology - October 16th, 2021
- FDA Approves Genentech's Tecentriq as Adjuvant Treatment for Certain People With Early Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer - Business Wire - October 16th, 2021
- Worldwide Cell Therapy Consumables Industry to 2031 - Featuring Bio-Techne, Irvine Scientific and Sartorius Among Others - PRNewswire - October 16th, 2021
- International ZIM Network: SmartMed - Regenerative Solutions for the Therapies of Tomorrow - Business Wire - October 16th, 2021
- BioLineRx Announces Positive Results from Pharmacoeconomic Study Positioning Motixafortide as Potential Standard of Care in Stem Cell Mobilization -... - October 16th, 2021
- FTC Follows Through On Prioritizing Investigations Into False Advertising In Healthcare Markets - Media, Telecoms, IT, Entertainment - United States -... - October 16th, 2021
- Molecular Atlas of Small Cell Lung Cancer Reveals Unusual Cell Type That Could Explain Why Its So Aggressive - On Cancer - Memorial Sloan Kettering - October 16th, 2021
- Actress Jennifer Garner Visits with 7-Year-Old Girl Fighting B-cell Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia; What is the Treatment for This Disease? -... - October 16th, 2021
- Four-year-old girl with stage four cancer trying to get to America for clinical trial - Lancashire Telegraph - October 16th, 2021
- Stem cell & gene therapy to treat osteogenesis imperfecta: hype or hope - Open Access Government - October 5th, 2021
- Chennai-based institute to begin clinical trial on stem cell therapy for liver disease - The New Indian Express - October 5th, 2021
- "Stem cell-based therapeutics poised to become mainstream option - BSA bureau - October 5th, 2021
- Anja Health Disrupts Cord Blood Banking with Heartfelt Founding Story and Ground-Breaking Mission - Digital Journal - October 5th, 2021
- Longeveron Successfully Advancing its Cell-Based Therapy Studies in a Growing Industry Segment - Yahoo Finance - October 5th, 2021
- Ready to Treat Over 80 Life-Threatening Diseases, Discover the Potential of Cord Blood during World Cord Blood Day 2021 - PRNewswire - October 5th, 2021
- Transforming Growth Factor Sales Gaining Traction & to reach US$ 709.9 Mn with Significant Development in Cell Therapy Research - PRNewswire - October 5th, 2021
- StemExpress Partners with the Alliance for Regenerative Medicine to Provide COVID-19 Testing for the Cell and Gene Meeting on the Mesa - WITN - October 5th, 2021
- Brazil investigates the use of stem cells in the treatment of covid-19 The Clare People - The Clare People - October 5th, 2021
- Indianapolis mother gives 13-year-old son with sickle cell disease a 2nd chance at life - WTHR - October 5th, 2021
- US FDA Approves Kite's Tecartus as the First and Only Car T for Adults With Relapsed or Refractory B-cell Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia | DNA RNA and... - October 5th, 2021
- Lack of awareness about blood stem cell donation is one of the leading causes for low number of donors in In.. - ETHealthworld.com - October 5th, 2021
- 'Survivor' winner Ethan Zohn opens up about his cancer battle: I was a healthy, young guy. You never expect it to be you. - Yahoo Life - October 5th, 2021
- The Best Skincare Treatments For Time-Crunched Moms (Or Anyone Else Who Only Has Five Minutes To Spare) - Forbes - October 5th, 2021
- [PDF] Stem Cell Therapy Market Size Strong Revenue and Generated Opportunities UNLV The Rebel Yell - UNLV The Rebel Yell - August 31st, 2021
- Mike Tysons weird stem cell treatment has helped transform incredible body at 55 - Daily Star - August 31st, 2021
- Acute Monocytic Leukemia: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment - Healthline - August 31st, 2021
- UC Davis and the School of Medicine set new records in research funding - UC Davis Health - August 31st, 2021
- NCCN Issues Updated Guidelines Regarding Third COVID-19 Vaccine Booster for Those With Cancer - Cancer Network - August 31st, 2021
- DHEC Supports Awareness and Education during National Sickle Cell Awareness Month - SCDHEC - August 31st, 2021
- The emerging roles of the gut microbiome in allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation - DocWire News - August 31st, 2021
- Global Cryopreservation Equipment Market Report 2021-2028 - Growing Acceptance for Regenerative Medicine & Increasing Needs of Biobanking... - August 31st, 2021
- Operational Highlights and Financial Results for the Year Ended June 30, 2021 - GlobeNewswire - August 31st, 2021
- Event to benefit 2 families with kids fighting cancer - Youngstown Vindicator - August 31st, 2021
- Cryo-Cell International Announces Uplisting to The Nasdaq Capital Market - GlobeNewswire - August 31st, 2021
- Incyte and MorphoSys Announce the European Commission Approval of Minjuvi (tafasitamab) in Combination With Lenalidomide for the Treatment of Adults... - August 31st, 2021
- Thomas Smeenk with an update on the FDA Phase II clinical trial program of the Hemostemix blood-derived, stem cell therapeutics product (ACP-01) -... - August 31st, 2021
- 2021 Pipeline Insight Report on Myocardial Infarction - Featuring AstraZeneca, Mesoblast and Boehringer Ingelheim Among Others -... - August 31st, 2021
- Mini brains grown in the lab sprout primitive eyes - Freethink - August 31st, 2021