A new study at Johns Hopkins University has shown that stem cells from patients' own cardiac tissue can be used to heal scarred tissue after a heart attack. This is certainly exciting news considering heart failure is still the No. 1 cause of death in men and women.
The study included 25 heart attack victims, 17 of whom got the stem cell treatment. Those patients saw a 50% reduction in cardiac scar tissue after one year, while the eight control patients saw no improvement.
The procedure involves removing a tiny portion of heart tissue through a needle, cultivating the stem cells from that tissue, and reinserting them in a second minimally invasive procedure, according to Bloomberg.
"If we can regenerate the whole heart, then the patient would be completely normal," said Eduardo Marban, director of Cedars-Sinai Heart Institute who was the study's lead author. "We haven't fulfilled that yet, but we've gotten rid of half of the injury, and that's a good start."
Business section: Investing ideas
Interested in investing in the promise that stem cell therapy holds? For a look at the investing landscape, we compiled a list of the 10 largest companies involved in stem cell therapy.
Do you think this industry will see growth from stem cell research? (Click here to access free, interactive tools to analyze these ideas.)
1. BioTime (NYSE: BTX ) : Focuses on regenerative medicine and blood plasma volume expanders. Market cap at $291.95M. The company develops and markets research products in the field of stem cells and regenerative medicine. It develops therapeutic products derived from stem cells for the treatment of retinal and neural degenerative diseases; cardiovascular and blood diseases; therapeutic applications of stem cells to treat orthopedic diseases, injuries, and cancer; and retinal cell product for use in the treatment of age-related macular degeneration.
2. Cleveland BioLabs (Nasdaq: CBLI ) : Market cap at $111.50M. Its products include Protectan CBLB502, a radioprotectant molecule with multiple medical and defense applications for reducing injury from acute stresses, such as radiation and chemotherapy by mobilizing various natural cell protecting mechanisms, including inhibition of apoptosis, reduction of oxidative damage, and induction of factors that induce protection and regeneration of stem cells in bone marrow and the intestines, and Protectan CBLB612, a modified lipopeptide mycoplasma that acts as a stimulator and mobilizer of hematopoietic stem cells to peripheral blood, providing hematopoietic recovery during chemotherapy and during donor preparation for bone marrow transplantation.
3. Gentium: Focuses on the development and manufacture of its primary product candidate, defibrotide, an investigational drug based on a mixture of single-stranded and double-stranded DNA extracted from pig intestines. Market cap at $128.29M. The company develops defibrotide for the treatment and prevention of hepatic veno-occlusive disease (VOD), a condition that occurs when veins in the liver are blocked as a result of cancer treatments, such as chemotherapy or radiation, that are administered prior to stem cell transplantation.
4. Geron (Nasdaq: GERN ) : Develops biopharmaceuticals for the treatment of cancer and chronic degenerative diseases, including spinal cord injury, heart failure, and diabetes. Market cap at $265.57M. The company has licensing agreement with the University Campus Suffolk to develop human embryonic stem cell-derived chondrocytes for the treatment of cartilage damage and joint disease.
5. Harvard Bioscience: Develops, manufactures, and markets apparatus and scientific instruments used in life science research in pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, universities, and government laboratories in the United States and internationally. Market cap at $118.28M. Develops devices used by clinicians and researchers in the field of regenerative medicine, including bioreactors for growing tissue and organs outside the body, and injectors for stem cell therapy.
6. Lydall (NYSE: LDL ) : Designs and manufactures specialty engineered products for thermal/acoustical, filtration/separation, and bio/medical applications in the United States. Market cap at $163.44M. In addition, it offers Cell-Freeze, a medical device used for cryogenic storage of peripheral blood stem cells.
8. Osiris Therapeutics (Nasdaq: OSIR ) : Focuses on the development and marketing of therapeutic products to treat various medical conditions in the inflammatory, autoimmune, orthopedic, and cardiovascular areas. Market cap at $157.26M. A stem cell company, focuses on the development and marketing of therapeutic products to treat various medical conditions in the inflammatory, autoimmune, orthopedic, and cardiovascular areas.
7. Verastem: Market cap at $229.00M. Focuses on discovering and developing proprietary small molecule drugs targeting cancer stem cells (CSCs) in breast and other cancers.
Interactive Chart: Press Play to compare changes in analyst ratings over the last two years for the stocks mentioned above. Analyst ratings sourced from Zacks Investment Research.
Kapitall's Alexander Crawford does not own any of the shares mentioned above.
Stem Cell Stocks: Mending Scarred Hearts
- SMAR1 repression by pluripotency factors and consequent chemoresistance in breast cancer stem-like cells is reversed by aspirin - Science - October 21st, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020-2026 | XX% CAGR Projection Over the Next Five Years, Predicts Market Research Future with Market Size & Growth Key... - October 21st, 2020
- While Risky, Sorrento Therapeutics Has Many Options to Win - Investorplace.com - October 21st, 2020
- Stem Cells Offer Hope to Those with Parkinson's Disease - Legal Examiner - October 20th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market: Know about Impact of Covid-19 by Top Companies like MediVet Biologic, VetStem Biopharma, Stem Cell Vet, Regeneus... - October 20th, 2020
- California Proposition 14: Funding medical research that uses stem cells - KTLA - October 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Comprehensive Study COVID19 Impact Analysis 2020-2025 - The Think Curiouser - October 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Industry Size, Trends, Global Growth, Insights And Forecast Research Report 2025 - PRnews Leader - October 20th, 2020
- New reports shines light on Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market Growth strategies adopted by top key players worldwide and assessment to 2026 - PRnews... - October 20th, 2020
- CSL's Broad Response to COVID-19 and Advancements across the Company's Strategic Scientific Platforms are the Focus of Annual R&D Day - PRNewswire - October 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report Forecast to 2029 (Includes Business Impact of COVID-19) - Eurowire - October 17th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Trends, Opportunities, New Technologies and Developments, Competitor analysis and Market Sizing from 2020 to 2026 - PRnews... - October 17th, 2020
- CIRM Bridges to Stem Cell Research & Therapy The Bridge to Everywhere (in biomedicine) OP-ED - The Silicon Valley Voice - October 16th, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics Receives Positive CHMP Opinion for Libmeldy for the Treatment of Early-Onset Metachromatic Leukodystrophy (MLD) | DNA RNA and... - October 16th, 2020
- COVID-19 and the trials of treatment | News, Sports, Jobs - Escanaba Daily Press - October 16th, 2020
- UofL-born company secures an additional $115 million to advance cell therapy - uoflnews.com - October 16th, 2020
- Gamida Cell and Be The Match BioTherapies Expand Strategic Collaboration - BioSpace - October 16th, 2020
- Houghton Regis dad appeals for help for life-saving treatment abroad - Dunstable Today - October 16th, 2020
- VERIFY: Was the antibody cocktail used to treat President Trump developed using human embryonic stem cells? - CBS News 8 - October 8th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trend and Forecast to 2025 - re:Jerusalem - October 8th, 2020
- Taking Gene Editing to the Brain, the Immune System, and More - Tufts Now - October 8th, 2020
- Antibody cocktail given to Trump is controversial, and not only because its still under trial - ThePrint - October 7th, 2020
- The Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Growth To 2023 Will Be Driven By Increasing Prevalence Of Chronic Diseases - Press Release - Digital Journal - October 7th, 2020
- Stem cell therapy for blood cancer patients at NIMS - The Hindu - October 7th, 2020
- First Man Cured of AIDS Dies From Cancer - The Keystone Newspaper - October 7th, 2020
- Mesoblast hit by FDA rejection, request to run another trial - FierceBiotech - October 7th, 2020
- FDA Grants Breakthrough Therapy Designation to CD123-Directed Antibody-Drug Conjugate - Targeted Oncology - October 7th, 2020
- Avrobio bags gene therapy to join Regenxbio and Sangamo in race - FierceBiotech - October 7th, 2020
- Global Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Professional Survey 2020 by Manufacturers, Regions, Types and Applications, Forecast to 2024 - The Daily... - October 4th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to Show Incredible Growth by 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - October 4th, 2020
- Coffee enemas and stem cell injections: The life of a biohacker - Wales Online - October 4th, 2020
- EMA starts rapid review of Bluebird's gene therapy for rare disease CALD - - pharmaphorum - October 4th, 2020
- 'Provocative results' boost hopes of antibody treatment for COVID-19 - Science Magazine - October 4th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Regional Insights and Global Industry Dynamics By 2027 | By Top Leading Vendors NuVasive, Osiris Therapeutics, JCR... - October 4th, 2020
- Timothy Ray Brown, First Patient to Be Cured of HIV, Dies of Leukemia - BioSpace - October 4th, 2020
- IL-22induced cell extrusion and IL-18induced cell death prevent and cure rotavirus infection - Science - October 4th, 2020
- No on Prop 14: Not the best way to support stem-cell research - Los Angeles Times - October 1st, 2020
- Vitro Biopharma 3rd Quarter ended July 31st 2020 Financial Results of Operations - BioSpace - October 1st, 2020
- Stem cells can repair Parkinson's-damaged circuits in mouse brains - University of Wisconsin-Madison - October 1st, 2020
- Asymmetrex Presents the Value of Tissue Stem Cell Counting For Supplying Stem Cell Clinical Trials and Drug Development Clinical Trials - PR Web - October 1st, 2020
- Smith's 2005 stem cell law to be reauthorized by House - InsiderNJ - October 1st, 2020
- Platelet Rich Plasma and Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market -Key Players, Size, Growth, Incredible Potential, and Stagnant Progress According to New... - October 1st, 2020
- Risk Based Therapy Approach for Sickle Cell Anemia Patients is Ideal Scenario - MD Magazine - October 1st, 2020
- Platelet Rich Plasma and Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Analysis by Size, Share, Growth, Application, Segmentation and Forecast to 2025 - The... - October 1st, 2020
- Cytovia Therapeutics to present at Jefferies Cell Therapy Virtual Summit, BIO Investor Forum and New York Stem Cell Foundation Conference in October... - October 1st, 2020
- Timothy Ray Brown, First Person to Be Cured of HIV, Dies - The Scientist - October 1st, 2020
- Global Regenerative Medicine Partnering Report 2014-2020: Access to Cell Therapy, Organ Regeneration, Stem Cells and Tissue Regeneration Partnering... - October 1st, 2020
- UM171 saves another life - Newswise - October 1st, 2020
- Cell Therapy Processing Market COVID 19 Status, Growth Rate by Applications, and Future Forecast 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - October 1st, 2020
- Cell and Gene Therapy Technology Update: ReNeuron Presents Positive Data | Roots Analysis - Crypto Daily - October 1st, 2020
- 20k for treatment to help teenager walk - Southend Standard - September 29th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 by Top Key Players, Product Type, End-user Applications, Region and Forecast to 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- GMP Cell Banking Services Market | Government Bodies Increase Flow of Funding to Discover Treatment Options for Rare Diseases - BioSpace - September 29th, 2020
- The Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market To Go Strong With 4.2% CAGR Between 2026 - Crypto Daily - September 29th, 2020
- Global Cord Blood Banking Market Is Expected to Reach USD 25.90 billion by 2027 : Fior Markets - GlobeNewswire - September 29th, 2020
- Developments In Stem Cell Therapy Market Top Regions, Countries, Sales, Revenue, Leading Companies, Types, Demand, And Forecast Assessment - The Daily... - September 29th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy for Osteoarthritis Industry 2020 Market Research With Size, Growth, Manufacturers, Segments And 2026 Forecasts Research - The... - September 29th, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics Receives EMA PRIME Designation for OTL-203 for the Treatment of MPS-I - BioSpace - September 29th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Potential Growth, Size, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Research Forecasts to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- Dr. Leslie on the Development of CAR T-Cell Therapy in DLBCL and MCL - OncLive - September 29th, 2020
- From artificial lenses to stem cell techniques: these are the most important innovations in ophthalmology - Innovation Origins - September 29th, 2020
- The global market for Nerve Repair and Regeneration is projected to reach US$12.7 billion by 2025 - GlobeNewswire - September 29th, 2020
- Stem Cell Market By Applications, Types, New Technology Opportunity Analysis And Forecast: 2020 2028 - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market Development Factors and Investment Analysis by Leading Manufacturers: BioLife Solutions, Thermo Fisher... - September 29th, 2020
- 2020 Global Circulating Tumor Cells (CTCs) and Cancer Stem Cells (CSCs) Market Competitive Research, Top Companies, Key Types, Revenue, Share, Size... - September 29th, 2020
- Autologous Stem Cell and Non-Stem Cell Based Therapies Market - Growth, Trends, and Forecast (2020 - 2025) - GlobeNewswire - September 27th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market - Global Size, Share, Trends and Key Players (2020-2025) - News by aeresearch - September 27th, 2020
- OncoImmune's SACCOVID (CD24Fc) Exhibits Superb Therapeutic EfficacyA Potential Breakthrough in Treating Severe and Critical COVID-19 - Business Wire - September 27th, 2020
- Former NFL star Eddie George returns to Vero Beach for therapy, this time on shoulder - TCPalm - September 21st, 2020
- Market Players Eye Opportunities in Emerging Economies to Gain Ground in the Stem Cell Therapy Market2020 - The Daily Chronicle - September 21st, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market- Roadmap for Recovery from COVID-19 | Increase in Awareness of Stem Cell Therapy to boost the Market Growth | Technavio -... - September 19th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Industry Revenue Analysis with Impact of COVID19 - PharmiWeb.com - September 19th, 2020
- Cord Stem Cell Banking Market Analysis 2020 With COVID 19 Impact Analysis| Leading Players, Business Prospects, In-depth Analysis Research Report... - September 19th, 2020
- The Holistic Sanctuary Announces Exciting Plans to Expand Over Next 4 Years and Save More Lives - WFMZ Allentown - September 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Products Market Report 2020 by Key Players, Types, Applications, Countries, Market Size, Forecast to 2026 (Based on 2020 COVID-19... - September 19th, 2020
- Advanced Therapy Medicinal Products Market Research Report by Therapy Type - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of COVID-19 - GlobeNewswire - September 19th, 2020
- Treatment, Access to Caregivers Among Factors Affecting QOL in MM - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - September 19th, 2020
- Value of Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Predicted to Surpass US$ by the of 2017 2025 - Daily Research Chronicle - September 19th, 2020
- New medicines in the pipeline to treat sickle cell disease - BioWorld Online - September 19th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell manufacturing Market Analysis 2020 With COVID 19 Impact Analysis| Leading Players, Business Prospects, In-depth Analysis Research... - September 19th, 2020