Public release date: 13-Feb-2012
[ | E-mail | Share ]
Contact: Kim Irwin
University of California - Los Angeles Health Sciences
Breast cancer stem cells are thought to be the sole source of tumor recurrence and are known to be resistant to radiation therapy and don't respond well to chemotherapy.
Now, researchers with the UCLA Department of Radiation Oncology at UCLA's Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center report for the first time that radiation treatment ?despite killing half of all tumor cells during every treatment - transforms other cancer cells into treatment-resistant breast cancer stem cells.
The generation of these breast cancer stem cells counteracts the otherwise highly efficient radiation treatment. If scientists can uncover the mechanisms and prevent this transformation from occurring, radiation treatment for breast cancer could become even more effective, said study senior author Dr. Frank Pajonk, an associate professor of radiation oncology and Jonsson Cancer Center researcher.
"We found that these induced breast cancer stem cells (iBCSC) were generated by radiation-induced activation of the same cellular pathways used to reprogram normal cells into induced pluripotent stem cells (iPS) in regenerative medicine," said Pajonk, who also is a scientist with the Eli and Edythe Broad Center of Regenerative Medicine at UCLA. "It was remarkable that these breast cancers used the same reprogramming pathways to fight back against the radiation treatment."
The study appears DATE in the early online edition of the peer-reviewed journal Stem Cells.
"Controlling the radiation resistance of breast cancer stem cells and the generation of new iBCSC during radiation treatment may ultimately improve curability and may allow for de-escalation of the total radiation doses currently given to breast cancer patients, thereby reducing acute and long-term adverse effects," the study states.
There are very few breast cancer stem cells in a larger pool of breast cancer cells. In this study, Pajonk and his team eliminated the smaller pool of breast cancer stem cells and then irradiated the remaining breast cancer cells and placed them into mice.
Using a unique imaging system Pajonk and his team developed to visualize cancer stem cells, the researchers were able to observe their initial generation into iBCSC in response to the radiation treatment. The newly generated iBCSC were remarkably similar to breast cancer stem cells found in tumors that had not been irradiated, Pajonk said.
The team also found that the iBCSC had a more than 30-fold increased ability to form tumors compared to the non-irradiated breast cancer cells from which they originated.
Pajonk said that the study unites the competing models of clonal evolution and the hierarchical organization of breast cancers, as it suggests that undisturbed, growing tumors maintain a small number of cancer stem cells. However, if challenged by various stressors that threaten their numbers, including ionizing radiation, the breast cancer cells generate iBCSC that may, together with the surviving cancer stem cells, repopulate the tumor.
"What is really exciting about this study is that it gives us a much more complex understanding of the interaction of radiation with cancer cells that goes far beyond DNA damage and cell killing," Pajonk said. "The study may carry enormous potential to make radiation even better."
Pajonk stressed that breast cancer patients should not be alarmed by the study findings and should continue to undergo radiation if recommended by their oncologists.
"Radiation is an extremely powerful tool in the fight against breast cancer," he said. "If we can uncover the mechanism driving this transformation, we may be able to stop it and make the therapy even more powerful."
This study was funded by the National Cancer Institute, the California Breast Cancer Research Program and the Department of Defense. UCLA's Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center has more than 240 researchers and clinicians engaged in disease research, prevention, detection, control, treatment and education. One of the nation's largest comprehensive cancer centers, the Jonsson center is dedicated to promoting research and translating basic science into leading-edge clinical studies. In July 2011, the Jonsson Cancer Center was named among the top 10 cancer centers nationwide by U.S. News & World Report, a ranking it has held for 11 of the last 12 years. For more information on the Jonsson Cancer Center, visit our website at http://www.cancer.ucla.edu.
[ | E-mail | Share ]
AAAS and EurekAlert! are not responsible for the accuracy of news releases posted to EurekAlert! by contributing institutions or for the use of any information through the EurekAlert! system.
- Cynata looking to revolutionise stem cell therapy - The West Australian - October 28th, 2020
- Exclusive: "Ending Disease" Documentary Explores How Stem Cell Therapy Aims to Cure the Incurable - Prevention.com - October 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Industry Market Size, Global Analytical Overview, Key Players, Regional Demand, Trends and Forecast To 2026 - Aerospace Journal - October 28th, 2020
- Study: Poverty Linked to Higher Risk of Death Among Children with Cancer Undergoing Stem Cell Transplantation - PRNewswire - October 28th, 2020
- Global Adipose Derived Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Worldwide Industry Analysis, Future Demand and Forecast upto 2025 - re:Jerusalem - October 28th, 2020
- NK Cell Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy Industry Market Size, Global Analytical Overview, Key Players, Regional Demand, Trends and Forecast To 2026 -... - October 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 In-depth Analysis by Leading Players The Think Curiouser - The Think Curiouser - October 28th, 2020
- Ask Amy: First cancer hits, then heartbreak follows - The Providence Journal - October 28th, 2020
- Ken Shamrock Credits Stem Cell Treatment For Being Able To Wrestle In Impact At 56 - 411mania.com - October 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market: Applications and Regional Insights During the Forecasted Period 2020-2030 - TechnoWeekly - October 28th, 2020
- Robust Growth Of The Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Predicted Over The Forecast Period 2017 2025 - Aerospace Journal - October 28th, 2020
- Catalent to Produce BrainStorm's NurOwn Cell Therapy for ALS - ALS News Today - October 28th, 2020
- NexImmune Establishes Research Initiative with City of Hope to Focus on Novel Immunotherapeutic Approaches to Acute Myeloid Leukemia - BioSpace - October 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Highest Growth by 2025 with Leading Players - The Think Curiouser - October 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to Witness Growth Acceleration During 2020-2025 - Aerospace Journal - October 28th, 2020
- Bayer to pay $2B upfront for AskBio to drive gene therapy expansion - FierceBiotech - October 28th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis 2019 Growth by Top Companies and Trends by Types, Treatment, Diagnosis and Application Forecast Analysis to... - October 28th, 2020
- Conventional Chemotherapy May Be Effective in Early-Stage Hodgkin Lymphoma After Relapse - Cancer Therapy Advisor - October 28th, 2020
- SMAR1 repression by pluripotency factors and consequent chemoresistance in breast cancer stem-like cells is reversed by aspirin - Science - October 21st, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020-2026 | XX% CAGR Projection Over the Next Five Years, Predicts Market Research Future with Market Size & Growth Key... - October 21st, 2020
- While Risky, Sorrento Therapeutics Has Many Options to Win - Investorplace.com - October 21st, 2020
- Stem Cells Offer Hope to Those with Parkinson's Disease - Legal Examiner - October 20th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market: Know about Impact of Covid-19 by Top Companies like MediVet Biologic, VetStem Biopharma, Stem Cell Vet, Regeneus... - October 20th, 2020
- California Proposition 14: Funding medical research that uses stem cells - KTLA - October 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Comprehensive Study COVID19 Impact Analysis 2020-2025 - The Think Curiouser - October 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Industry Size, Trends, Global Growth, Insights And Forecast Research Report 2025 - PRnews Leader - October 20th, 2020
- New reports shines light on Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market Growth strategies adopted by top key players worldwide and assessment to 2026 - PRnews... - October 20th, 2020
- CSL's Broad Response to COVID-19 and Advancements across the Company's Strategic Scientific Platforms are the Focus of Annual R&D Day - PRNewswire - October 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report Forecast to 2029 (Includes Business Impact of COVID-19) - Eurowire - October 17th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Trends, Opportunities, New Technologies and Developments, Competitor analysis and Market Sizing from 2020 to 2026 - PRnews... - October 17th, 2020
- CIRM Bridges to Stem Cell Research & Therapy The Bridge to Everywhere (in biomedicine) OP-ED - The Silicon Valley Voice - October 16th, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics Receives Positive CHMP Opinion for Libmeldy for the Treatment of Early-Onset Metachromatic Leukodystrophy (MLD) | DNA RNA and... - October 16th, 2020
- COVID-19 and the trials of treatment | News, Sports, Jobs - Escanaba Daily Press - October 16th, 2020
- UofL-born company secures an additional $115 million to advance cell therapy - uoflnews.com - October 16th, 2020
- Gamida Cell and Be The Match BioTherapies Expand Strategic Collaboration - BioSpace - October 16th, 2020
- Houghton Regis dad appeals for help for life-saving treatment abroad - Dunstable Today - October 16th, 2020
- VERIFY: Was the antibody cocktail used to treat President Trump developed using human embryonic stem cells? - CBS News 8 - October 8th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trend and Forecast to 2025 - re:Jerusalem - October 8th, 2020
- Taking Gene Editing to the Brain, the Immune System, and More - Tufts Now - October 8th, 2020
- Antibody cocktail given to Trump is controversial, and not only because its still under trial - ThePrint - October 7th, 2020
- The Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Growth To 2023 Will Be Driven By Increasing Prevalence Of Chronic Diseases - Press Release - Digital Journal - October 7th, 2020
- Stem cell therapy for blood cancer patients at NIMS - The Hindu - October 7th, 2020
- First Man Cured of AIDS Dies From Cancer - The Keystone Newspaper - October 7th, 2020
- Mesoblast hit by FDA rejection, request to run another trial - FierceBiotech - October 7th, 2020
- FDA Grants Breakthrough Therapy Designation to CD123-Directed Antibody-Drug Conjugate - Targeted Oncology - October 7th, 2020
- Avrobio bags gene therapy to join Regenxbio and Sangamo in race - FierceBiotech - October 7th, 2020
- Global Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Professional Survey 2020 by Manufacturers, Regions, Types and Applications, Forecast to 2024 - The Daily... - October 4th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to Show Incredible Growth by 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - October 4th, 2020
- Coffee enemas and stem cell injections: The life of a biohacker - Wales Online - October 4th, 2020
- EMA starts rapid review of Bluebird's gene therapy for rare disease CALD - - pharmaphorum - October 4th, 2020
- 'Provocative results' boost hopes of antibody treatment for COVID-19 - Science Magazine - October 4th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Regional Insights and Global Industry Dynamics By 2027 | By Top Leading Vendors NuVasive, Osiris Therapeutics, JCR... - October 4th, 2020
- Timothy Ray Brown, First Patient to Be Cured of HIV, Dies of Leukemia - BioSpace - October 4th, 2020
- IL-22induced cell extrusion and IL-18induced cell death prevent and cure rotavirus infection - Science - October 4th, 2020
- No on Prop 14: Not the best way to support stem-cell research - Los Angeles Times - October 1st, 2020
- Vitro Biopharma 3rd Quarter ended July 31st 2020 Financial Results of Operations - BioSpace - October 1st, 2020
- Stem cells can repair Parkinson's-damaged circuits in mouse brains - University of Wisconsin-Madison - October 1st, 2020
- Asymmetrex Presents the Value of Tissue Stem Cell Counting For Supplying Stem Cell Clinical Trials and Drug Development Clinical Trials - PR Web - October 1st, 2020
- Smith's 2005 stem cell law to be reauthorized by House - InsiderNJ - October 1st, 2020
- Platelet Rich Plasma and Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market -Key Players, Size, Growth, Incredible Potential, and Stagnant Progress According to New... - October 1st, 2020
- Risk Based Therapy Approach for Sickle Cell Anemia Patients is Ideal Scenario - MD Magazine - October 1st, 2020
- Platelet Rich Plasma and Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Analysis by Size, Share, Growth, Application, Segmentation and Forecast to 2025 - The... - October 1st, 2020
- Cytovia Therapeutics to present at Jefferies Cell Therapy Virtual Summit, BIO Investor Forum and New York Stem Cell Foundation Conference in October... - October 1st, 2020
- Timothy Ray Brown, First Person to Be Cured of HIV, Dies - The Scientist - October 1st, 2020
- Global Regenerative Medicine Partnering Report 2014-2020: Access to Cell Therapy, Organ Regeneration, Stem Cells and Tissue Regeneration Partnering... - October 1st, 2020
- UM171 saves another life - Newswise - October 1st, 2020
- Cell Therapy Processing Market COVID 19 Status, Growth Rate by Applications, and Future Forecast 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - October 1st, 2020
- Cell and Gene Therapy Technology Update: ReNeuron Presents Positive Data | Roots Analysis - Crypto Daily - October 1st, 2020
- 20k for treatment to help teenager walk - Southend Standard - September 29th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 by Top Key Players, Product Type, End-user Applications, Region and Forecast to 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- GMP Cell Banking Services Market | Government Bodies Increase Flow of Funding to Discover Treatment Options for Rare Diseases - BioSpace - September 29th, 2020
- The Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market To Go Strong With 4.2% CAGR Between 2026 - Crypto Daily - September 29th, 2020
- Global Cord Blood Banking Market Is Expected to Reach USD 25.90 billion by 2027 : Fior Markets - GlobeNewswire - September 29th, 2020
- Developments In Stem Cell Therapy Market Top Regions, Countries, Sales, Revenue, Leading Companies, Types, Demand, And Forecast Assessment - The Daily... - September 29th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy for Osteoarthritis Industry 2020 Market Research With Size, Growth, Manufacturers, Segments And 2026 Forecasts Research - The... - September 29th, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics Receives EMA PRIME Designation for OTL-203 for the Treatment of MPS-I - BioSpace - September 29th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Potential Growth, Size, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Research Forecasts to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- Dr. Leslie on the Development of CAR T-Cell Therapy in DLBCL and MCL - OncLive - September 29th, 2020
- From artificial lenses to stem cell techniques: these are the most important innovations in ophthalmology - Innovation Origins - September 29th, 2020
- The global market for Nerve Repair and Regeneration is projected to reach US$12.7 billion by 2025 - GlobeNewswire - September 29th, 2020