A Wakefield man has shared the story of how his broken heart was fixed following a chance encounter with an old flame who was looking after him in hospital.
Fitness fanatic Barry Newmans heart was working at just 13% capacity and had him fearing for his life before fate stepped in with a revolutionary medical procedure and an old girlfriend.
At one point Barry was a shell of his former self and a heart transplant looked like the only viable solution.
To get the latest email updates from Yorkshire Live, click here .
But after coming across a new procedure on The One Show he underwent surgery at a private clinic and his heart is now operating at double its former capacity, with one doctor saying he was a "walking miracle".
By chance, one of the people caring for Barry at Leeds General Infirmary was cardiac physiotherapist Nicki Simpson an old flame from their clubbing days in the 1980s.
Their love was quickly reignited and Barry soon popped the question, though it did result in a moment of awkwardness.
When he declared he had something to announce, Nicki feared he had yet more bad news about his health.
But then plasterer Barry smiled and, from behind his back, pulled out a ring with a large diamond in it.
Speaking to The Mirror, Mr Newman said: Nicki had been my cardiac physio since just after I was first diagnosed with my heart condition, so she knew better than anyone what shed be committing to if she said yes.
But within an instant she gave me a massive hug and kiss and said shed love to be my wife.
With Mr Newman's heart failure, the couple feared they might be on borrowed time.
But Barry, 54, would have another lucky break after chancing upon a revolutionary stem cell procedure that has already doubled his hearts capacity to 26% of normal function.
And that means he and Nicki can think about setting a wedding date next year.
Their remarkable love story goes back to their teenage days. Though they eventually drifted apart, an unlikely reunion came after Barry fell ill in late 2013.
After years priding himself on his healthy lifestyle, he began feeling short of breath, to the point of falling to his knees.
He was prescribed antibiotics but the problem persisted. In February 2014 a CT scan showed he had a massive, dilated heart and critical condition cardiomyopathy.
Doctors said it had likely been caused by a virus and his heart was working at a fraction of its usual capacity.
Barry said: I was told the only real solution was a heart transplant.
I was transferred to Leeds General Infirmary for what was basically palliative care to keep me alive as long as possible.
Compared to just a year before, I felt like my body was broken, all my strength was gone and I feared Id not see my son Robert graduate.
Barry had ongoing care from a cardiac nurse and, towards the end of 2014, was told he would also have the support of a cardiac physiotherapist.
He says: I was amazed when that person turned out to be Nicki, an old girlfriend from our clubbing days in the 1980s.
Wed been an item when we were 19. We drifted apart and I hadnt seen her since.
As soon as the pair clapped eyes on one another, their old spark was back even with Barry so terribly unwell.
We hit it off straight away, laughing at all the old memories, he says. In no time we were a couple again, almost three decades later.
Of course she knew this was a rather precarious situation for me as well as us as a couple.
But that didnt bother her one bit.
With professional and emotional support from Nicki, 54, Barry had a defibrillator fitted in his chest in 2016 which would restart his heart if it ever lost rhythm.
He has remained realistic throughout and says: I knew this was just another strategy to keep me alive until I reached crisis point and could be put on the transplant list.
I got progressively worse, to the point where every time I ate anything Id go grey and collapse and would have to be rushed to A&E.
This happened so many times I got to know all the nurses and porters at the hospital by first name.
Then in October 2017, Barry and his son saw a jaw-dropping report about work by the Heart Cells Foundation charity on TVs The One Show that would change the course of his life.
The innovative procedure involved taking bone marrow from the patients pelvis, harvesting stem cells, then injecting them straight into the heart.
With his "heart nearing its end", Barry instantly got his son Robert to contact the charity and its lead clinician, Professor Anthony Mathur.
Barry said: It seemed such a quick and painless procedure."
The foundation treats patients who are at the end-stage of life, and in November 2018 Barry underwent week-long treatment in London.
After a series of injections to stimulate the bone marrow, the procedure was carried out on the last day.
Barry said he was staggered by its apparent simplicity and how a routine op two months later showed how it was already working.
He says: It couldnt have been less painful.
I was booked in for a small operation in January 2019 and the anaesthetist said because of my heart he was hesitant about putting me under. I did a treadmill test to see how strong my heart was and the doctor said I was a walking miracle my results didnt match with my records.
Barry says he has since gone from strength to strength. He adds: While some cardiologists Ive spoken to are still cynical about my stem cell procedure, the facts speak for themselves.
My heart is now at 26% capacity, Im not taking all the various meds I was prescribed before, I can exercise properly, and feel amazing.
Before my procedure one of my worst fears was my amazing dad would have to go to my funeral, something no parent should ever have to do.
Sadly, I lost him in 2020 after a cancer battle, but I was so grateful he didnt have to watch me reach the end, to bury his own son. I also got to see Robert, 25, graduate in aeronautical engineering from Sheffield University, going on to work for a Formula 1 team and Nicki and I are planning our wedding next year.
This miraculous stem cell treatment hasnt just saved my life, its given me and my family a future, which is priceless.
Barry is among nearly 400 Brits who have received the treatment in its early phase and the success rate is 80%.
Patients typically experience improved heart function and a better quality of life with no further use of medication. Now doctors hope it could change the lives of countless more people. The procedure costs up to 10,000 a go and is not currently available on the NHS.
Learn more at heartcellsfoundation.com
Read the rest here:
Man's heart healed by stem cell therapy and love of an old flame - Leeds Live
- Belumosudil Granted Full Approval for Treatment of Chronic GVHD by FDA - Cancer Network - July 22nd, 2021
- Dr. Martin on the Role of Maintenance Therapy With Rituximab in MCL July 15th 2021 Peter - OncLive - July 22nd, 2021
- FDA tells Magenta to pump the brakes on blood cancer trial before it starts to develop new dosing test - FierceBiotech - July 22nd, 2021
- Stemson Therapeutics Secures $15M Series A Funding to Cure Hair Loss - Business Wire - July 22nd, 2021
- Events planned to support 5-year-old's cancer treatments - The Augusta Chronicle - July 22nd, 2021
- HER2-Specific CAR T Cells Induce Early Efficacy Without Dose-Limiting Toxicities in Pediatric CNS Tumors - OncLive - July 22nd, 2021
- A mother's love: Two years after devastating crash, Abby Roby has hope - London Free Press (Blogs) - July 22nd, 2021
- Roswell Park Team Shows Dendritic-Cell Vaccines Can Be Paired With Standard Therapy for Breast Cancer - Newswise - July 22nd, 2021
- Introducing the 3D bioprinted neural tissues with the potential to 'cure' human paralysis - 3D Printing Industry - July 22nd, 2021
- Investing in stem cells, the building blocks of the body - MoneyWeek - June 25th, 2021
- Discrepancies Between Real-World Patterns of Care and Recommendations Based on Clinical Trials Exist in MCL - OncLive - June 25th, 2021
- Catalent to Acquire RheinCell Therapeutics, Strengthening a Path Towards Industrialization of Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell-based Therapies - PR Web - June 25th, 2021
- Disparities in Utilization of Autologous Stem Cell Transplantation as Consolidative Therapy for Multiple Myeloma: A Single Institution Retrospective... - June 25th, 2021
- Vita Therapeutics Raises $32 Million in Oversubscribed Series A Financing Led by Cambrian Biopharma to Advance the Development of Therapies to Treat... - June 25th, 2021
- Updates in the treatment of peripheral T-cell lymphomas | JEP - Dove Medical Press - June 25th, 2021
- Novel Tafasitamab Combination Finds a Role in Second-line DLBCL Treatment - Targeted Oncology - June 25th, 2021
- Global Nerve Repair and Regeneration Devices Market to Reach $11. 8 Billion by 2026 - GlobeNewswire - June 25th, 2021
- 5 potential benefits of exosome treatment - AZ Big Media - June 8th, 2021
- Orion and the Blood Service launch collaboration to develop new CAR T-cell cancer therapy - Yahoo Finance Australia - June 8th, 2021
- Improvements in the Treatment of Patients With MCL Over the Past Decade - Oncology Learning Network - June 8th, 2021
- Novo Nordisk partners with Heartseed on heart failure cell therapy - PMLiVE - June 8th, 2021
- Citius Pharmaceuticals to be Added to Russell 2000 Index - BioSpace - June 8th, 2021
- IN8bio Completes Treatment of First Cohort in Phase 1 Clinical Trial with Gamma Delta T-Cell Therapy in Patients with Newly Diagnosed Glioblastoma... - June 8th, 2021
- Regenerative medicine: moving next-gen treatments from lab to clinic - Pharmaceutical Technology - June 8th, 2021
- Global $30+ Billion Cell Therapy Bioprocessing Market to 2028: Market Opportunities in Automated Procedures to Produce Cell Therapies - PRNewswire - June 8th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell & Regenerative Medicine Market Report Forecast to 2027 3M Group Novartis AG Integra Gene Therapies The Manomet Current - The... - June 8th, 2021
- Novel CAR-T Cell Therapy Produces Early and Deep Responses in Certain Patients with Multiple Myeloma - Curetoday.com - June 8th, 2021
- BioRestorative Therapies to Present at the Emerging Growth Conference on June 9, 2021 - StreetInsider.com - June 8th, 2021
- Innovent Biologics and IASO Biotherapeutics to Present Updated Data from its Anti-BCMA CAR-T Therapy in Relapsed/Refractory Multiple Myeloma at... - June 8th, 2021
- High Rate of Response Noted in MCL and CLL With Cirmtuzumab Plus Ibrutinib - Cancer Network - June 8th, 2021
- Dr. Ghosh on the Role of Off-the-Shelf CAR T-Cell Therapy in Myeloma June - OncLive - June 8th, 2021
- Triplet Combo of Polatuzumab Vedotin, Rituximab and Lenalidomide Safe, Effective to Treat Relapsed/Refractory DLBCL - Cancer Network - June 8th, 2021
- Income, Education Affect Treatment and Survival in MDS - DocWire News - June 8th, 2021
- Polatuzumab With Rituximab and Lenalidomide Shown Safe and Effective for Relapsed/Refractory DLBCL - Targeted Oncology - June 8th, 2021
- Early Promise Observed With Lisaftoclax in Relapsed/Refractory CLL and Other Hematologic Malignancies - Targeted Oncology - June 8th, 2021
- Mustang Bio to Host Key Opinion Leader Webinar on MB-106 CD20-Targeted CAR T for - GlobeNewswire - June 8th, 2021
- FDA Lifts Hold on bluebird bio's Sickle Cell and Beta-Thalassemia Gene Therapies - BioSpace - June 8th, 2021
- Abecma Continues to Improve Survival in Heavily Pretreated Patients With Multiple Myeloma - Curetoday.com - June 8th, 2021
- HSCT-Sparing, Chemotherapy-Free Treatment of Ph+ ALL With Ponatinib/Blinatumomab Leads to 100% CR Rate - Cancer Network - June 8th, 2021
- Fate Therapeutics Highlights Positive Interim Data from its Phase 1 Study of FT516 in Combination with - GlobeNewswire - June 8th, 2021
- Action Taken by Governor Phil Scott on Legislation - June 7, 2021 - Office of Governor Phil Scott - June 8th, 2021
- Cancer research: New advances and innovations - Medical News Today - June 8th, 2021
- Naturally Treat & Heal The Cause of Pain with Regenerative Therapies - The Mountaineer - May 15th, 2021
- CAR T-Cell Therapy UCARTCS1A Shows Early Activity in Relapsed/Refractory Myeloma - OncLive - May 15th, 2021
- Rinri Therapeutics Secures Innovate UK Funding Grant for 3.2m Project to Advance its Novel Cell-Based Therapy to Restore Hearing Loss - PRNewswire - May 15th, 2021
- With $52 Million Series A, Appia Bio Anticipates a Bright Future in Cell Therapy - BioSpace - May 15th, 2021
- Genenta Phase I/II Glioblastoma Data at ASGCT Show Temferon Delivered Tumor-Focused Interferon ExpressionData presented at the 2021 American Society... - May 15th, 2021
- Safety and Efficacy of Consolidation Therapy with Ipilimumab Plus Nivolumab after Autologous Stem Cell Transplantation - DocWire News - May 15th, 2021
- Fascination with stem cell sensation leads to Fulbright scholarship - Monash University - May 15th, 2021
- Omeros' Narsoplimab Pivotal Trial Data to Be Shared as an Oral Presentation at the European Hematology Association Congress - Business Wire - May 15th, 2021
- Munshi Explains Staging, Prognosis, and Treatment for a Patient With Acute Graft-vs-Host-Disease - Targeted Oncology - May 15th, 2021
- KD-PACE Salvage Therapy for Aggressive Relapsed Refractory Multiple Myeloma, Plasma Cell Leukemia and Extramedullary Myeloma - DocWire News - May 15th, 2021
- Icy Microneedle Patch Delivers Cell Therapy, Then Melts - Freethink - May 15th, 2021
- FDA Responds to Creative Medical Technology Holdings Regarding Its ImmCelz IND for Stroke Treatment - BioSpace - May 15th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market 2021 Type and End-use Industry 2026 Orange County Hair Restoration Center,... - May 15th, 2021
- Allogeneic Mesenchymal Stem Cell Segment Is Expected To Lead In the Global Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market over the Forecast Period,... - May 15th, 2021
- Advanced Therapy Medicinal Products Market Size Worth $21.2 Billion By 2028: Grand View Research, Inc. - PRNewswire - May 15th, 2021
- New connection between metabolism and red blood cell development - Harvard Gazette - May 15th, 2021
- Heart attack recovery aided by injecting heart muscle cells that overexpress cyclin D2 - The Mix - May 15th, 2021
- Vertex and CRISPR Therapeutics to Present New Clinical Data - GlobeNewswire - May 15th, 2021
- Rocket Pharmaceuticals Presents Positive Clinical Data from Fanconi Anemia, Leukocyte Adhesion Deficiency-I, and Pyruvate Kinase Deficiency Programs... - May 15th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Global Market Report 2021: COVID-19 Growth And Change To 2030 - Yahoo Finance - May 3rd, 2021
- Stem cell therapy for COPD: Cost, effectiveness, and more - Medical News Today - May 3rd, 2021
- Thomas Smeenk on Hemostemix's autologous stem cell therapy technology and why some call it 'the fountain of youth' - InvestorIntel - May 3rd, 2021
- Mesoblast says its stem cell treatment saved lives of severely ill COVID patients - Stockhead - May 3rd, 2021
- Antiviral T cells protected, viable as off-the-shelf treatment for painful complication stem cells - Microbioz India - May 3rd, 2021
- Investigating CAR T-Cell Therapy for Use in Different Disease Types - Targeted Oncology - May 3rd, 2021
- Should scientists be allowed to grow human embryos in a dish beyond 14 days? Is it scientifically important or morally wrong? - USA TODAY - May 3rd, 2021
- Hope, hype and exploitation the wild history of stem cell science - ABC News - May 3rd, 2021
- Brave New World is being reinvented with synthetic embryosand the right reasons - SYFY WIRE - May 3rd, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Trends Evaluation 2021 By Leading Players Updates, Consumer-Demand, Key Strategies, Consumption, Industry Development, Market... - May 3rd, 2021
- STEM NOLA Teams with Obatala Science & CellSpring to Expose Students to Careers and Medical Research at Biotech Startups - PRNewswire - May 3rd, 2021
- Breakthrough gene therapies in sight | UNC-Chapel Hill - UNC Chapell Hill - May 3rd, 2021
- FDA's Abecma Approval a 'Great Blessing' for Patients with Multiple Myeloma - Curetoday.com - May 3rd, 2021
- Enhanced inhibition of tumor growth using TRAIL-overexpressing adipose-derived stem cells in combination with the chemotherapeutic agent CPT-11 in... - May 3rd, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020-2027 Trends, industry vertical, along with the geography, delivering valuable insights | Reportspedia Clark... - May 3rd, 2021
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market Report 2021 by Global Key Players, Types, Applications, Countries, Size, Forecast to 2027 Clark County... - May 3rd, 2021
- CRISPRoff Reversible Epigenome Editing Method Could Enable Safer, More Precise Therapeutics - GenomeWeb - May 3rd, 2021
- Cell Therapy Market To Expand At An expeditious Growth Rate From 2021-2027 | Thermo Fisher Scientific, Nanofiber Solutions, Advanced Biomatrix,... - May 3rd, 2021
- FTC continues to crack down on companies peddling fake COVID treatments and cures - HamletHub - May 3rd, 2021