FORMER Tranmere and England star Gary Stevens' son Jack has died following a courageous battle with leukaemia.
Gary, who also played for Everton and Rangers, had revealed last year that four-year-old Jack, was diagnosed with Juvenile myelomonocytic leukaemia (JMML), a rare form of blood cancer that affects young children.
Jack had been responding well to treatment but he was forced to restart chemotherapy with doctors indicating he desperately needed a stem cell donor.
In September, Gary, 58, spoke to Everton's website about Jack's prognosis.
As you can imagine, this is the worst possible news for all of us, said Gary, who lived in Bromborough for many years until he moved to Australia in 2011.
He was doing so well, and the search is back on for a suitable stem cell donor."
The Goodison Park club had appealed for donors to come forward in an effort to help their former player who played over 200 times for the Toffees.
Everton announced the news of Jack's death on their Twitter page with a picture of Gary and Jack.
The club wrote: "Everyone at Everton is deeply saddened to learn that Gary Stevens four-year-old son, Jack, has passed away following his courageous battle with leukaemia.
"Our thoughts are with Gary and his family at this incredibly sad time."
Tranmere also joined the tributes on Twitter.
They wrote: "The thoughts of everyone at Tranmere Rovers are with Gary Stevens and his family at this sad time."
Gary signed for Rovers inn September 1994 for a fee of 350,000. He featured regularly at right back for the Prenton Park club over the next four seasons, making 127 league appearances and helping them qualify for the Championship playoffs before managing three successive mid table finishes. He retired from playing at the end of the 199798 season.
He also played for England winning a total of 46 appearances, and playing at the World Cup in both 1986 and 1990.
Read more from the original source:
Former Tranmere player Gary Stevens' son dies after battle with leukaemia - The Chester Standard
- When is a Stem Cell Transplant the Best Option for a Multiple Myeloma Patient? - SurvivorNet - January 16th, 2022
- Doctors and Researchers Probe How COVID-19 Attacks the Heart - The Scientist - January 16th, 2022
- Umbilical cord blood donations offer hope for those in Japan in need of stem cells - The Japan Times - January 16th, 2022
- I thought my little girl had a pulled muscle until doctors found cancer in 100 parts of her body... - The Sun - January 16th, 2022
- Who does donated blood that's direly needed help? - WTOP - January 16th, 2022
- Spotted around the web: Autism knowledge in Russia, brain imaging peer review, neuro-advocacy - Spectrum - January 16th, 2022
- Hacking a home COVID test by adding a throat swab is a hot topic on Twitter : Goats and Soda - NPR - January 16th, 2022
- COVID-19 pills and antibody treatments to fight omicron variant are in short supply in North Texas - The Dallas Morning News - January 16th, 2022
- The State of Diabetes Care, 100 Years After the First Insulin Shot - Healthline - January 16th, 2022
- Woman, 34, diagnosed with incurable cancer usually found in over 65s - shropshirestar.com - January 16th, 2022
- City of Hope to buy Cancer Treatment Centers of America for $390M - Modern Healthcare - December 9th, 2021
- The lung game: is hyperbaric oxygen therapy any good? - Financial Times - December 9th, 2021
- Cell Culture Media Market is predicted to grow from US$ 2.6 Bn in 2020 to over US$ 5.6 Bn by 2031 - PRNewswire - December 9th, 2021
- It is imperative to reduce the cost of cancer treatment: Ramesh Ramadurai, MD, 3M India - ETHealthworld.com - December 9th, 2021
- COVID: How bad is the omicron variant? Q&A on what new research is telling us - The Denver Post - December 9th, 2021
- What Are New Medical Solutions That Can Help Treat Patients? - iLounge - November 22nd, 2021
- Slidell mom with months to live, couldn't afford to fight 'very treatable' cancer - WWLTV.com - November 22nd, 2021
- Cell and Gene Therapy Market to reach US$ 47,095.2 Mn by end of 2028, Says Coherent Market Insights - PRNewswire - November 22nd, 2021
- FMQs: Senior Glasgow doctor warns claims doctors act in secret or conceal information could damage public confidence as Andrew Slorance widow claims... - November 22nd, 2021
- Braeden Lichti - Investing in Precision Medicine to Yield New Treatments for Neurodegenerative Diseases - PRNewswire - November 22nd, 2021
- Global Cancer Therapy Market Expected to Reach $268 Billion In 2026, With A CAGR Of 9.15% - PRNewswire - November 22nd, 2021
- Indiana's top doctors frustrated about the state's COVID-19 vaccination rate - 953mnc.com - August 31st, 2021
- Should You Get a COVID Booster Shot? Our Doctor Explains - Articles and Videos, COVID-19, Featured, Health Topics - Hackensack Meridian Health - August 31st, 2021
- OpRegen: tackling the leading cause of blindness with cell replacement - Clinical Trials Arena - August 31st, 2021
- I blamed stress for my three-month period but it turned out to be much more sinister... - The Sun - August 31st, 2021
- New fault lines emerge in Car-T therapy - Vantage - August 31st, 2021
- When aid-in-dying means you have to go before youre ready - Monterey Herald - August 31st, 2021
- Dr. Death Season 1 Review: Truth continues to be stranger than fiction. - Times of India - August 31st, 2021
- Circulating Tumor Cells (CTC) Diagnostics Market is expected to Account for Over US$ 9.5 Million in - PharmiWeb.com - August 31st, 2021
- COVID-19 in children with cancer: Severe disease and disrupted treatment - Markets Insider - August 31st, 2021
- Sophomore saves sister's life with stem cell donation - University of Miami - August 5th, 2021
- Myelodysplastic Syndrome Treatment Options - Healthline - August 5th, 2021
- Gold River Productions, Inc. (GRPS) Appoints Michael Berkowitz to spearhead the Rejuvenation Division with StemSpa - Yahoo Finance - August 5th, 2021
- Colin Jackson health: Im in constant pain Athlete to undergo stem cell therapy to help - Express - August 5th, 2021
- The Basics of MDS: Diagnosis and Staging - Curetoday.com - August 5th, 2021
- Blood donation clinic will honour life of Jocelyn McGlynn - Chatham Daily News - August 5th, 2021
- Pharming Group reports financial results for the first half of 2021 - PRNewswire - August 5th, 2021
- Symptoms of seizures: Early signs, post-seizure, and more - Medical News Today - August 5th, 2021
- Lymph nodes: Purpose, location, and disease warning signs - Medical News Today - June 8th, 2021
- Teesside baby will be third in country to have ground breaking complex cancer treatment - Teesside Live - June 8th, 2021
- Brave Nathaniel Nabena, 9, all smiles as he has life-saving procedure - thanks to you - The Mirror - June 8th, 2021
- Local veterinary clinics offer integrated care options for pets - williamsonherald.com - June 8th, 2021
- Blood cancer and leukaemia: UAE oncologist urges public to spot the symptoms - The National - June 8th, 2021
- Replotting the human: the thorny ethics of growing babies outside the womb - Prospect - June 8th, 2021
- Crossroads of life: Jordan Reed's journey through concussions, injuries and post-NFL healing - The Athletic - June 8th, 2021
- B-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia: What to know - Medical News Today - May 28th, 2021
- Chronic lymphocytic leukemia and stomach pain: What is the link? - Medical News Today - May 28th, 2021
- Top 12 Disruptive Gene and Cell Therapy Technologies Announced - GlobeNewswire - May 28th, 2021
- BlueRock and Senti Collaborate to Build Smarter, Disease-Fighting Cell Therapies - BioSpace - May 28th, 2021
- Living with blood cancer - Lara Said - Times of Malta - May 28th, 2021
- 3D Printed Stem Cells Could Revolutionize Neuroscience, Aid Treatment and Understanding of Neural Diseases - Science Times - May 28th, 2021
- In the War on Cancer, Science Is Winning - The Wall Street Journal - May 28th, 2021
- Whats Causing Black Fungus? Here Is What The Doctors Have To Say - The Logical Indian - May 28th, 2021
- University of Pittsburgh Won't Explain its Planned Parenthood Ties | Opinion - Newsweek - May 28th, 2021
- Trial treatment with a mythologically-inspired name saves life of young man diagnosed with multiple myeloma - Neos Kosmos - May 28th, 2021
- An unusual addition to Californias 2022 ballot - CalMatters - May 28th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Los Angeles - Darrow Stem Cell Institute - February 14th, 2021
- Stem Cell Transplants: A Lifesaving Treatment for Cancer ... - February 14th, 2021
- Smart Stem Cells Made From Fat Have the Power to Heal - Freethink - February 14th, 2021
- Are Covid-19 vaccines safe for cancer patients? Here is what cancer experts say - CNN - February 14th, 2021
- The race to treat a rare, fatal syndrome may help others with common disorders like diabetes - Science Magazine - February 14th, 2021
- Arlo's Army needs stem cell donor as mum begs for help to save three-year-old's life - Glasgow Live - February 14th, 2021
- Arlo's Army: mum opens up on heartbreaking decision to make 3-year-old sick to save his life - Glasgow Live - February 14th, 2021
- Bone marrow transplant shows signs of curing brave little boy with one in a million condition - Shields Gazette - February 14th, 2021
- Canada's blood supply has a diversity problem and people are dying because of it - CBC.ca - February 2nd, 2021
- State-of-the-Art Treatments Garner University Foot and Ankle Institute Multiple Top Doctor Awards - Yahoo Finance - February 2nd, 2021
- Dean Tracy Johnson seeks to diversify the pipeline of future scientists and doctors - UCLA Newsroom - February 2nd, 2021
- Transforming optimism: finding new ways to treat rare cancers - Cancer Research UK - Science Blog - February 2nd, 2021
- Family of Belfast woman Eimear Gooderham (25) share memories and dealing with grief in special UTV programme - Belfast Telegraph - February 2nd, 2021
- Doctor: COVID-19 cases will continue to slowly go down, but were not out of the woods - Yahoo Money - January 23rd, 2021
- Global Precision Medicine Market With COVID 19 Impact Analysis| Leading Players In-depth Analysis Research Report Foresight to 2027 - KSU | The... - January 23rd, 2021
- Leading Urologist Doubles Down on CaverStem Regenerative Stem Cell Procedure for Treatment of Erectile Dysfunction in Men - PRNewswire - January 22nd, 2021
- Sisters who organised an Ilkley fundraising ball are to be honoured - Wharfedale Observer - January 22nd, 2021
- Medical Doctor: Roes Overlooking of the Consensus of Societal Morality and Science Reverberates to This Day - National Catholic Register - January 22nd, 2021
- DARZALEX FASPRO (daratumumab and hyaluronidase-fihj) Becomes the First FDA-Approved Treatment for Patients with Newly Diagnosed Light Chain (AL)... - January 22nd, 2021
- Seattle researchers find clues for treatments that could eliminate HIV in infected patients - GeekWire - January 14th, 2021
- Flow Cytometry Market is Projected to Reach a Value of US$8100 Mn by the End of 2025 - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - January 14th, 2021
- Doctors diagnosed a Suffolk teen with a rare condition. Now, his mom is part of the solution - 13newsnow.com WVEC - January 12th, 2021
- Cassville club assists 2 families as they recover from illness - telegraphherald.com - January 12th, 2021
- The 26 billion-dollar startups to watch that are revolutionizing healthcare in 2021 - Business Insider - January 12th, 2021