Tacitus Therapeutics exclusively licenses technology for expansion, differentiation and engineering of hematopoietic stem cells for use in therapeutic applications
NEW YORK, Jan. 9, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Tacitus Therapeutics, a clinical-stage company, has launched in collaboration with the Mount Sinai Health System to develop stem cell therapies initially targeting blood cancers and related clotting disorders. Their first therapy, HSC100, currently is being investigated in a Phase I clinical trial1.
Tacitus is building upon technology developed by and exclusively licensed from Mount Sinai. Based on research by scientific co-founders Ronald Hoffman, M.D., and Camelia Iancu-Rubin, Ph.D., the technology includes proprietary cell expansion, differentiation and engineering methods. Together, these methods manufacture healthy cells that overcome the limitations of traditional allogeneic, or donor, cell transplantations.
Blood cancers comprise about 10% of new cancer cases in the U.S. each year, and almost 60,000 people die from blood cancer complications annually. Most blood cancers start in the bone marrow, where blood is produced. A common therapy for such blood cancers is a hematopoietic stem cell (HSC) treatment or, as more commonly referred to, bone marrow transplantation. In this process, doctors infuse healthy HSCs into the patient's bloodstream, where they migrate to the bone marrow to grow or engraft.
HSCs for this process can be collected from bone marrow, circulating blood, or umbilical cord blood (CB) of healthy donors. While HSC transplants are common, significant barriers to success exist, including high levels of graft-versus-host disease, low numbers of healthy cells obtained from CB, and increased risk of bleeding due to delayed megakaryocyte, or platelet, engraftment.
Hoffman and Iancu-Rubin are pioneers of bone marrow cell therapy treatments, and development of this technology was enabled by the New York State Stem Cell Science program, NYSTEM. As a New York State Department of Health initiative, NYSTEM awarded a $1 million grant to Hoffman in 2010 that supported the original research underpinning this platform technology. In 2015, NYSTEM awarded Hoffman and Iancu-Rubin an $8 million grant to translate the technology from the laboratory into the clinic, where it is currently in clinical trial1.
Hoffman also serves as Director of the Myeloproliferative Disorders Research Program and Professor of Medicine (Hematology and Medical Oncology) and Iancu-Rubin is Associate Professor of Pathology at the Icahn School of Medicine and Director of the Cellular Therapy Laboratory at Mount Sinai Hospital.
"Promising discoveries by Mount Sinai scientific thought leaders may lead to new, essential cell-based therapies that will broadly benefit patients," said Erik Lium, Executive Vice President and Chief Commercial Innovation Officer, Mount Sinai Innovation Partners. "We're pleased to be collaborating with Tacitus to launch the next stage of development for these technologies."
"Tacitus is committed in its mission to advance next-generation cell therapies with curative potential," said Carter Cliff, CEO of Tacitus. "Based on our founders' solid foundation of research, we are translating these discoveries into broad clinical practice as we look to dramatically improve the standard of care for patients with life-threatening conditions."
HSC100 is an investigational therapy based on allogeneic hematopoietic stem cells (HSC) expanded from umbilical cord blood. HSC100 is being investigated currently in an open-label Phase I clinical trial1 in the United States for treatment of hematological malignancies. The success of unmanipulated cord blood as a source of stem cells has been hampered by the small number of stem cells present in a single cord, leading to delayed engraftment and frequent graft failure. Our proprietary technology includes the use of an epigenetic modifier, valproic acid, to expand the number and the quality of HSCs found in cord blood collections. For more information on HSC100 clinical trials, please visit http://www.clinicaltrials.gov.
1ClinicalTrials.gov identifier NCT03885947.
About Tacitus Therapeutics
Tacitus Therapeutics is a clinical-stage biotechnology company developing advanced medicines for treatment of blood cancers, immune disorders and other intractable disease conditions. Our mission is to pioneer best-in-class therapies using proprietary cell expansion, differentiation and engineering platform technologies that overcome the limitations of traditional cell transplantation. Initial targets include a lead clinical program (HSC100) investigating the treatment of blood cancers, followed by preclinical programs to address clotting disorders and other serious unmet medical needs. For additional information, please visit http://www.tacitustherapeutics.com.
About Mount Sinai Health System
The Mount Sinai Health System is New York City's largest integrated delivery system, encompassing eight hospitals, a leading medical school, and a vast network of ambulatory practices throughout the greater New York region. Mount Sinai's vision is to produce the safest care, the highest quality, the highest satisfaction, the best access and the best value of any health system in the nation. The Health System includes approximately 7,480 primary and specialty care physicians; 11 joint-venture ambulatory surgery centers; more than 410 ambulatory practices throughout the five boroughs of New York City, Westchester, Long Island, and Florida; and 31 affiliated community health centers. The Icahn School of Medicine is one of three medical schools that have earned distinction by multiple indicators: ranked in the top 20 by U.S. News & World Report's "Best Medical Schools", aligned with a U.S. News & World Report's "Honor Roll" Hospital, No. 12 in the nation for National Institutes of Health funding, and among the top 10 most innovative research institutions as ranked by the journal Nature in its Nature Innovation Index. This reflects a special level of excellence in education, clinical practice, and research. The Mount Sinai Hospital is ranked No. 14 on U.S. News & World Report's "Honor Roll" of top U.S. hospitals; it is one of the nation's top 20 hospitals in Cardiology/Heart Surgery, Diabetes/Endocrinology, Gastroenterology/GI Surgery, Geriatrics, Gynecology, Nephrology, Neurology/Neurosurgery, and Orthopedics in the 2019-2020 "Best Hospitals" issue. Mount Sinai's Kravis Children's Hospital also is ranked nationally in five out of ten pediatric specialties by U.S. News & World Report. The New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai is ranked 12th nationally for Ophthalmology, Mount Sinai St. Luke's and Mount Sinai West are ranked 23rd nationally for Nephrology and 25th for Diabetes/Endocrinology, and Mount Sinai South Nassau is ranked 35th nationally for Urology. Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai St. Luke's, Mount Sinai West, and Mount Sinai South Nassau are ranked regionally. For more information, visit http://www.mountsinai.org or find Mount Sinai on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
About Mount Sinai Innovation Partners (MSIP)
MSIP is responsible for driving the real-world application and commercialization of Mount Sinai discoveries and inventions and the development of research partnerships with industry. Our aim is to translate discoveries and inventions into health care products and services that benefit patients and society. MSIP is accountable for the full spectrum of commercialization activities required to bring Mount Sinai inventions to life. These activities include evaluating, patenting, marketing and licensing new technologies building research, collaborations and partnerships with commercial and nonprofit entities, material transfer and confidentiality, coaching innovators to advance commercially relevant translational discoveries, and actively fostering an ecosystem of entrepreneurship within the Mount Sinai research and health system communities. For more information, please visit http://www.ip.mountsinai.orgor find MSIP onLinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook,Medium, and YouTube.
Mount Sinai Cynthia Cleto Mount Sinai Innovation Partners (646) 605-7359 email@example.com
Tacitus TherapeuticsJoleen RauRau Communications(608) firstname.lastname@example.org
View original content:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/tacitus-therapeutics-launches-in-collaboration-with-mount-sinai-to-develop-stem-cell-therapies-for-life-threatening-diseases-300984051.html
SOURCE Tacitus Therapeutics
- Blood and bone marrow stem cell donation - Mayo Clinic - October 16th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell and Primary Cell Culture Medium Market 2021 Trends and Leading Players Analysis 2027 Merck, STEMCELL Technologies, Irvinesci, Cell... - October 16th, 2021
- Resilience commits $30M to launch new biotechs out of Harvard with focus on therapeutics, biomanufacturing - FierceBiotech - October 16th, 2021
- Selma Blair Shares That Shes Now in Remission 3 Years After MS Diagnosis - Self - August 18th, 2021
- Third dose of COVID-19 vaccine to be offered to certain residents - Martins Ferry Times Leader - August 18th, 2021
- Friends, family continue Jocelyn's drive to increase stem cell donors - Chatham This Week - August 18th, 2021
- Calidi Biotherapeutics Announces Exclusive License Agreement with City of Hope and the University of Chicago for Novel Oncolytic Virotherapy... - August 18th, 2021
- LSU Health Shreveport Vaccine Clinic at 2726 Linwood Avenue to Begin Administering Third Doses of Vaccine Tomorrow for Those Who Meet CDC Requirements... - August 18th, 2021
- Eagle County begins offering third vaccine doses to the immunocompromised - Vail Daily News - August 18th, 2021
- CDC: Third Dose Of COVID-19 Vaccine Recommended For Moderately & Severely Immunocompromised Individuals Only - KSST - August 18th, 2021
- New CEO, check. $172M round, check. Wugen's off-the-shelf cell therapies are ready for takeoff - FierceBiotech - July 22nd, 2021
- Arbor Strengthens Focus on Therapeutics with Key Additions to Leadership Team - Yahoo Finance - July 22nd, 2021
- For Patients with HIV and Cancer, a Multidisciplinary Treatment Approach is Critical - Targeted Oncology - July 22nd, 2021
- Keeping the physical appointment was critical, the show of support appreciated by Renville County Commissioner - West Central Tribune - May 15th, 2021
- Appia Bio aims for a new kind of off-the-shelf CAR-T with $52M raise - FierceBiotech - May 15th, 2021
- Experimental treatments risk further medicalisation of menopause - The BMJ - May 15th, 2021
- Biopreservation Market Know the diverse technological advancements in the biopreservation - BioSpace - May 15th, 2021
- Reawakened immune cells attack cells tied to diseases of aging - STAT - STAT - May 15th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis and Forecast (2019-2024) The Courier - The Courier - May 3rd, 2021
- Cell Therapy Company Raises $160 Million to Advance iPSC-Derived Therapies to Clinic - BioSpace - March 8th, 2021
- Retracing the Lineage of Cancer Cells - Technology Networks - March 8th, 2021
- QC Kinetix (Myrtle Beach) Offers Stem Cells Therapy, An Alternative to Surgery For Pain Management in Myrtle Beach, SC - Press Release - Digital... - March 8th, 2021
- Caribou nets $115M to boost CRISPR tech, advance off-the-shelf cell therapies - FierceBiotech - March 8th, 2021
- QC Kinetix (San Antonio) Offers Non-Surgical Regeneration Therapy To Treat Aches, Pains, and Injuries In Individuals Around San Antonio - Press... - March 8th, 2021
- New Research Study Investigates Metformin as a Therapy to Promote Brain Repair and Reduce Disability in Children and Young Adults with MS -... - February 2nd, 2021
- #FillTheSeats to save lives this February with Canadian Blood Services - Sportsnet.ca - January 30th, 2021
- Vertex Announces FDA Clearance of Investigational New Drug (IND) Application for VX-880, a Novel Cell Therapy for the Treatment of Type 1 Diabetes... - January 30th, 2021
- ClearPoint Neuro, Inc. Announces Expansion of Pre-Clinical and Translational Development Team to Support Gene and Stem Cell Therapy Partners -... - January 30th, 2021
- Cell Therapy Market 2020 Industry Size, Share, Segmentation, Comprehensive Analysis and Forecast by 2025 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The... - January 30th, 2021
- TScan Moves Toward the Clinic with $100 Million Series C Round - BioSpace - January 30th, 2021
- Love Your Skin: What Is SPF And Why Is It Important? - Yahoo Movies Canada - January 30th, 2021
- Caladrius Biosciences Treats First Patient in the Phase 2b FREEDOM Trial of CLBS16 for the Treatment of Coronary Microvascular Dysfunction - Cath Lab... - January 30th, 2021
- From hacking the immune system at the Parker Institute to decoding and reprogramming human cells - leading clinical immunotherapies developer Ramy Ibr... - January 30th, 2021
- City Awards $38 Million in Infrastructure Grants for City Science Institutions - CityLand CityLand - CityLand - January 30th, 2021
- Mesoblast Limited: Is Stemcell Therapy Ready For Prime Time? - Sick Economics - January 22nd, 2021
- Caladrius Biosciences Treats First Patient in the Phase 2b FREEDOM Trial of CLBS16 for the Treatment of Coronary Microvascular Dysfunction | DNA RNA... - January 22nd, 2021
- Breakthrough motor neurone disease study finds way to reverse damage - The National - January 19th, 2021
- Orchard Therapeutics Announces 2021 Corporate Priorities Supporting the Build-out of its Commercial Business in Hematopoietic Stem Cell (HSC) Gene... - January 12th, 2021
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market : Information, Figures And Analytical Insights 2020-2026 - LionLowdown - January 5th, 2021
- Paint it all Pink winner charity donation helps Elizabeth Wende Breast Care Fund - MPNnow.com - December 22nd, 2020
- Center for Regenerative Medicine - Mayo Clinic - December 17th, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market Revenue, Global Forecast, Cost, Key Participants and Emerging Trends and Key Players-AVIVA BioSciences , AdnaGen - The... - December 12th, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis With Key Players, Applications, Trends And Forecasts To 2026 - Cheshire Media - December 5th, 2020
- Short Redhead Reel Reviews for the week of Dec. 4 - ECM Publishers - December 5th, 2020
- Human sperm stem cells grown in lab, an early step toward infertility treatment - Jill Lopez - November 18th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell and Primary Cell Culture Medium Industry 2020 Market Research With Size, Growth, Manufacturers, Segments And 2026 Forecasts Research... - November 18th, 2020
- Updated: FDA gives Cellectis all clear after patient death halted off-the-shelf CAR-T trial - Endpoints News - November 18th, 2020
- FUJIFILM Cellular Dynamics and Lonza Agree to Expand the Availability and Use of Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell Technology - BioSpace - November 16th, 2020
- Cleveland Clinic team draws a link between COVID-19 protection and the sleep aid melatonin - FierceBiotech - November 16th, 2020
- Global Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market Outlook by Types, Applications, End Users and Opportunities to 2025 - TechnoWeekly - November 16th, 2020
- Orphan Drug Designation Granted for CSL Behring's Investigational Plasma-Derived Hemopexin Therapy for Sickle Cell Disease - PRNewswire - November 3rd, 2020
- What's On The Ballot? Here's A Look At California's 2020 Propositions - KPBS - November 3rd, 2020
- The Animal Stem Cell Therapy market to witness remarkable disruptions in the next decade - TechnoWeekly - October 28th, 2020
- Dr. Hill on Next Steps for Research Exploring CAR T-Cell Therapy in MCL - OncLive - October 28th, 2020
- Randomized Controlled Study Using Direct Injection of Remestemcel-L Into Inflamed Gut of Patients With Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis -... - October 24th, 2020
- Stem cells, repair cells, & growth factors: What is the latest? - The Times of India Blog - October 20th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market Trend,COVID-19 Impact,Current Industry Figures With Demand By Countries And Future Growth - PRnews Leader - October 20th, 2020
- Global and United States Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market Leading Players Expected to Witness the Highest Growth 2025 | AVIVA BioSciences, AdnaGen,... - October 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Primary Cell Culture Medium Market Share, By Product Analysis, Ap - News by aeresearch - October 20th, 2020
- Months after achieving unicorn status, Orca steers into the fast lane with an RMAT designation for cell therapy candidate - Endpoints News - October 15th, 2020
- EdiGene Gets $67 Million Infusion to Bring Gene Editing to the Clinic - BioSpace - October 15th, 2020
- CAR T-cell Therapies for the Treatment of Patients with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia - OncoZine - October 15th, 2020
- Bone Therapeutics' allogeneic cell therapy product, ALLOB, shows 90% fusion rate at 24 months in Phase IIa study in lumbar spinal fusion -... - October 15th, 2020
- Biopharma Money on the Move: October 7-14 - BioSpace - October 15th, 2020
- Consensus paper: current state of first- and second-line therapy in advanced clear-cell renal cell carcinoma. - UroToday - October 8th, 2020
- Around Town: Life is a series of choices a look at California's ballot propositions - VVdailypress.com - October 8th, 2020
- League of Women Voters Releases Their Proposition recommendations - Valley Voice - October 8th, 2020
- Expansion Therapeutics Names Renato Skerlj, Ph.D., Chief Executive Officer and President - BioSpace - October 8th, 2020
- What is the difference between ventilation and respiration? - EMS1.com - October 8th, 2020
- Props to you, Californians: A preview of what's on your November ballot - Palo Alto Online - October 8th, 2020
- TreeFrog Therapeutics and Invetech Expand Partnership to Transition High-throughput Stem Cell Encapsulation Technology to GMP System for... - October 8th, 2020
- How to Vote This November: A Progressive's Opinion Redheaded Blackbelt - Redheaded Blackbelt - October 1st, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market Size is Thriving worldwide with Topmost Companies Like: Advanced Cell Diagnostics, Silicon Biosystems, Cancer Stem... - September 30th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market to be Worth USD 8 billion by 2030, predicts Roots Analysis - The Daily Chronicle - September 25th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell and Primary Cell Culture Medium Market Research (2015-2026): In-depth Assessment of the Growth and other Aspects - Internet Shots - September 23rd, 2020
- Cellular Therapy Products Market 2020 2025 analysis examined in new C - News by aeresearch - September 23rd, 2020
- Those linked to stem cell board received more than $2.1 billion - Capitol Weekly - September 15th, 2020
- Takeda Expands Cell Therapy Efforts with New R&D Manufacturing Plant in Boston - BioSpace - September 15th, 2020
- Allow your body to heal on its own with the help of Stemcure Clinic - Lowvelder - September 15th, 2020
- The Animal Stem Cell Therapy market to Undergo positive Transformation between 2017 and 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - September 12th, 2020