The idea of repurposingexisting medicines as a fast approach to containing COVID-19 is still popular, even as vaccines and antibodies designed to combat the disease are starting to gain steam. Scientists at the Cleveland Clinic are among those examining existing compounds as possible treatments for the coronavirus, and now they're suggesting that the popular over-the-counter sleep aid melatonin may be a possible option in treating the disease.
The researchers used an artificial intelligence tool to analyze data from 26,779 individuals in the Cleveland Clinics COVID-19 registry, of whom 8,274 tested positive for SARS-CoV-2, the novel coronavirus that causes COVID-19.
They found that people who were taking melatonin were 28% less likely to test positive for SARS-CoV-2, after adjusting for factors such as age, sex and underlying diseases, according to results published in the journal PLOS Biology.
Much has been written about the promise of real-world data (RWD) in life sciences, but how does it work in practice? We address this question in a new whitepaper that demonstrates the potential benefits of new RWD technologies with a proof of concept study to show how RWD can be incorporated into clinical research.
The melatonin effect was more pronounced in African Americans, with a reduction of 52%. In White Americans, the number was 23%.
Melatonin is a hormone released by the body that regulates the sleep-wake cycle. As a dietary supplement, its commonly used to help manage insomnia andjet lag.
Besides melatonin, the Cleveland Clinic team also found that the beta-blocker carvedilol, sold under the brand Coreg for high blood pressure and other heart diseases, was associated with a 26% reduction in a persons chance of testing positive for SARS-CoV-2.
RELATED:Melatonin? Stem cells? Researchers step up with unconventional approaches to COVID-19
Some members of the same Cleveland Clinic team previously pinpointed melatonin among a group of drugs they suggested might work for COVID. They showed that melatonin and mercaptopurine might work as a good combo for COVID. Those findings came from a pharmacology-based platform that used a technique called network proximity analysis. It was based on the idea that some proteins involved in other diseases might hold proximity to a virus interaction with the host.
The researchersapplied the same method in the current study to shed a light on clinical manifestations and pathologies common between COVID-19 and 64 other diseases. Closer proximity would mean a higher likelihood of pathological associations between the diseases.
They found that proteins involved in respiratory distress syndrome and sepsis were highly connected with SARS-CoV-2. That wasnt a surprise given that the two disorders can also cause death in patients with severe COVID-19.
This signals to us that a drug already approved to treat these respiratory conditions may have some utility in also treating COVID-19 by acting on those shared biological targets, Feixiong Cheng, Ph.D., the studys senior author, said in a statement.
Overall, they identified close network proximity to SARS-CoV-2 proteins from inflammatory bowel disease, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, as well as pulmonary diseases such as COPD. Using a computational model, they identified 34 drugs that were significantly proximal to two or more SARS-CoV-2 host protein sets.
RELATED:COVID-19: Bio researchers race to repurpose everything from antiviral to anticancer discoveries
A team at Columbia University has also linked melatonin with increased likelihood of clinical improvement among critically ill COVID-19 patients on intubation or mechanical ventilation.
The sleep-promoting supplement was also reportedly used by President Donald Trump during his COVID-19 infection, though its not clear if he was taking it specifically to treat the disease or as part of his daily nutrition routine.
Despite melatonin emerging as a top pick from the Cleveland Clinic registry, Cheng cautioned that larger, randomized control trials would be needed before the supplement could be widely adopted in the treatment of COVID-19.
Cheng added that AI-based approaches to analyzing COVID-19 patient registries should be embraced in the effort to find effective treatments for the disease.Recent studies suggest that COVID-19 is a systematic disease impacting multiple cell types, tissues and organs, so knowledge of the complex interplays between the virus and other diseases is key to understanding COVID-19-related complications and identifying repurposable drugs, Cheng said. Our study provides a powerful, integrative network medicine strategy to predict disease manifestations associated with COVID-19 and facilitate the search for an effective treatment.
- Hiltzik: The battle against unlicensed stem cell clinics - Los Angeles Times - November 8th, 2021
- Cell therapy biotech PlateletBio reels in $75M as it looks ahead to first clinical test - MedCity News - November 8th, 2021
- VDH: Cases surge again to third-worst on record - Vermont Biz - November 8th, 2021
- Blood and bone marrow stem cell donation - Mayo Clinic - October 16th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell and Primary Cell Culture Medium Market 2021 Trends and Leading Players Analysis 2027 Merck, STEMCELL Technologies, Irvinesci, Cell... - October 16th, 2021
- Resilience commits $30M to launch new biotechs out of Harvard with focus on therapeutics, biomanufacturing - FierceBiotech - October 16th, 2021
- Selma Blair Shares That Shes Now in Remission 3 Years After MS Diagnosis - Self - August 18th, 2021
- Third dose of COVID-19 vaccine to be offered to certain residents - Martins Ferry Times Leader - August 18th, 2021
- Friends, family continue Jocelyn's drive to increase stem cell donors - Chatham This Week - August 18th, 2021
- Calidi Biotherapeutics Announces Exclusive License Agreement with City of Hope and the University of Chicago for Novel Oncolytic Virotherapy... - August 18th, 2021
- LSU Health Shreveport Vaccine Clinic at 2726 Linwood Avenue to Begin Administering Third Doses of Vaccine Tomorrow for Those Who Meet CDC Requirements... - August 18th, 2021
- Eagle County begins offering third vaccine doses to the immunocompromised - Vail Daily News - August 18th, 2021
- CDC: Third Dose Of COVID-19 Vaccine Recommended For Moderately & Severely Immunocompromised Individuals Only - KSST - August 18th, 2021
- New CEO, check. $172M round, check. Wugen's off-the-shelf cell therapies are ready for takeoff - FierceBiotech - July 22nd, 2021
- Arbor Strengthens Focus on Therapeutics with Key Additions to Leadership Team - Yahoo Finance - July 22nd, 2021
- For Patients with HIV and Cancer, a Multidisciplinary Treatment Approach is Critical - Targeted Oncology - July 22nd, 2021
- Keeping the physical appointment was critical, the show of support appreciated by Renville County Commissioner - West Central Tribune - May 15th, 2021
- Appia Bio aims for a new kind of off-the-shelf CAR-T with $52M raise - FierceBiotech - May 15th, 2021
- Experimental treatments risk further medicalisation of menopause - The BMJ - May 15th, 2021
- Biopreservation Market Know the diverse technological advancements in the biopreservation - BioSpace - May 15th, 2021
- Reawakened immune cells attack cells tied to diseases of aging - STAT - STAT - May 15th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis and Forecast (2019-2024) The Courier - The Courier - May 3rd, 2021
- Cell Therapy Company Raises $160 Million to Advance iPSC-Derived Therapies to Clinic - BioSpace - March 8th, 2021
- Retracing the Lineage of Cancer Cells - Technology Networks - March 8th, 2021
- QC Kinetix (Myrtle Beach) Offers Stem Cells Therapy, An Alternative to Surgery For Pain Management in Myrtle Beach, SC - Press Release - Digital... - March 8th, 2021
- Caribou nets $115M to boost CRISPR tech, advance off-the-shelf cell therapies - FierceBiotech - March 8th, 2021
- QC Kinetix (San Antonio) Offers Non-Surgical Regeneration Therapy To Treat Aches, Pains, and Injuries In Individuals Around San Antonio - Press... - March 8th, 2021
- New Research Study Investigates Metformin as a Therapy to Promote Brain Repair and Reduce Disability in Children and Young Adults with MS -... - February 2nd, 2021
- #FillTheSeats to save lives this February with Canadian Blood Services - Sportsnet.ca - January 30th, 2021
- Vertex Announces FDA Clearance of Investigational New Drug (IND) Application for VX-880, a Novel Cell Therapy for the Treatment of Type 1 Diabetes... - January 30th, 2021
- ClearPoint Neuro, Inc. Announces Expansion of Pre-Clinical and Translational Development Team to Support Gene and Stem Cell Therapy Partners -... - January 30th, 2021
- Cell Therapy Market 2020 Industry Size, Share, Segmentation, Comprehensive Analysis and Forecast by 2025 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The... - January 30th, 2021
- TScan Moves Toward the Clinic with $100 Million Series C Round - BioSpace - January 30th, 2021
- Love Your Skin: What Is SPF And Why Is It Important? - Yahoo Movies Canada - January 30th, 2021
- Caladrius Biosciences Treats First Patient in the Phase 2b FREEDOM Trial of CLBS16 for the Treatment of Coronary Microvascular Dysfunction - Cath Lab... - January 30th, 2021
- From hacking the immune system at the Parker Institute to decoding and reprogramming human cells - leading clinical immunotherapies developer Ramy Ibr... - January 30th, 2021
- City Awards $38 Million in Infrastructure Grants for City Science Institutions - CityLand CityLand - CityLand - January 30th, 2021
- Mesoblast Limited: Is Stemcell Therapy Ready For Prime Time? - Sick Economics - January 22nd, 2021
- Caladrius Biosciences Treats First Patient in the Phase 2b FREEDOM Trial of CLBS16 for the Treatment of Coronary Microvascular Dysfunction | DNA RNA... - January 22nd, 2021
- Breakthrough motor neurone disease study finds way to reverse damage - The National - January 19th, 2021
- Orchard Therapeutics Announces 2021 Corporate Priorities Supporting the Build-out of its Commercial Business in Hematopoietic Stem Cell (HSC) Gene... - January 12th, 2021
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market : Information, Figures And Analytical Insights 2020-2026 - LionLowdown - January 5th, 2021
- Paint it all Pink winner charity donation helps Elizabeth Wende Breast Care Fund - MPNnow.com - December 22nd, 2020
- Center for Regenerative Medicine - Mayo Clinic - December 17th, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market Revenue, Global Forecast, Cost, Key Participants and Emerging Trends and Key Players-AVIVA BioSciences , AdnaGen - The... - December 12th, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis With Key Players, Applications, Trends And Forecasts To 2026 - Cheshire Media - December 5th, 2020
- Short Redhead Reel Reviews for the week of Dec. 4 - ECM Publishers - December 5th, 2020
- Human sperm stem cells grown in lab, an early step toward infertility treatment - Jill Lopez - November 18th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell and Primary Cell Culture Medium Industry 2020 Market Research With Size, Growth, Manufacturers, Segments And 2026 Forecasts Research... - November 18th, 2020
- Updated: FDA gives Cellectis all clear after patient death halted off-the-shelf CAR-T trial - Endpoints News - November 18th, 2020
- FUJIFILM Cellular Dynamics and Lonza Agree to Expand the Availability and Use of Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell Technology - BioSpace - November 16th, 2020
- Global Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market Outlook by Types, Applications, End Users and Opportunities to 2025 - TechnoWeekly - November 16th, 2020
- Orphan Drug Designation Granted for CSL Behring's Investigational Plasma-Derived Hemopexin Therapy for Sickle Cell Disease - PRNewswire - November 3rd, 2020
- What's On The Ballot? Here's A Look At California's 2020 Propositions - KPBS - November 3rd, 2020
- The Animal Stem Cell Therapy market to witness remarkable disruptions in the next decade - TechnoWeekly - October 28th, 2020
- Dr. Hill on Next Steps for Research Exploring CAR T-Cell Therapy in MCL - OncLive - October 28th, 2020
- Randomized Controlled Study Using Direct Injection of Remestemcel-L Into Inflamed Gut of Patients With Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis -... - October 24th, 2020
- Stem cells, repair cells, & growth factors: What is the latest? - The Times of India Blog - October 20th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market Trend,COVID-19 Impact,Current Industry Figures With Demand By Countries And Future Growth - PRnews Leader - October 20th, 2020
- Global and United States Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market Leading Players Expected to Witness the Highest Growth 2025 | AVIVA BioSciences, AdnaGen,... - October 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Primary Cell Culture Medium Market Share, By Product Analysis, Ap - News by aeresearch - October 20th, 2020
- Months after achieving unicorn status, Orca steers into the fast lane with an RMAT designation for cell therapy candidate - Endpoints News - October 15th, 2020
- EdiGene Gets $67 Million Infusion to Bring Gene Editing to the Clinic - BioSpace - October 15th, 2020
- CAR T-cell Therapies for the Treatment of Patients with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia - OncoZine - October 15th, 2020
- Bone Therapeutics' allogeneic cell therapy product, ALLOB, shows 90% fusion rate at 24 months in Phase IIa study in lumbar spinal fusion -... - October 15th, 2020
- Biopharma Money on the Move: October 7-14 - BioSpace - October 15th, 2020
- Consensus paper: current state of first- and second-line therapy in advanced clear-cell renal cell carcinoma. - UroToday - October 8th, 2020
- Around Town: Life is a series of choices a look at California's ballot propositions - VVdailypress.com - October 8th, 2020
- League of Women Voters Releases Their Proposition recommendations - Valley Voice - October 8th, 2020
- Expansion Therapeutics Names Renato Skerlj, Ph.D., Chief Executive Officer and President - BioSpace - October 8th, 2020
- What is the difference between ventilation and respiration? - EMS1.com - October 8th, 2020
- Props to you, Californians: A preview of what's on your November ballot - Palo Alto Online - October 8th, 2020
- TreeFrog Therapeutics and Invetech Expand Partnership to Transition High-throughput Stem Cell Encapsulation Technology to GMP System for... - October 8th, 2020
- How to Vote This November: A Progressive's Opinion Redheaded Blackbelt - Redheaded Blackbelt - October 1st, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market Size is Thriving worldwide with Topmost Companies Like: Advanced Cell Diagnostics, Silicon Biosystems, Cancer Stem... - September 30th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market to be Worth USD 8 billion by 2030, predicts Roots Analysis - The Daily Chronicle - September 25th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell and Primary Cell Culture Medium Market Research (2015-2026): In-depth Assessment of the Growth and other Aspects - Internet Shots - September 23rd, 2020
- Cellular Therapy Products Market 2020 2025 analysis examined in new C - News by aeresearch - September 23rd, 2020
- Those linked to stem cell board received more than $2.1 billion - Capitol Weekly - September 15th, 2020
- Takeda Expands Cell Therapy Efforts with New R&D Manufacturing Plant in Boston - BioSpace - September 15th, 2020