Jan. 25, 2021 13:30 UTC
GAITHERSBURG, Md. & BURLINGAME, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Emergent BioSolutions Inc. (NYSE:EBS) (Emergent) and Humanigen, Inc.. (NASDAQ:HGEN) (Humanigen) today announced that they have entered into a contract development and manufacturing (CDMO) services agreement to accelerate the drug product manufacturing of lenzilumab, an anti-human granulocyte macrophage-colony stimulating factor (GM-CSF) monoclonal antibody designed to prevent and treat an immune hyper-response called cytokine storm. Emergent will provide access to manufacturing capacity reserved for and provided by the U.S. government under Humanigens Cooperative Research and Development Agreement (CRADA) with the Department of Defenses (DoD) Joint Program Executive Office for Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear Defense (JPEO-CBRND) in collaboration with the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA), part of the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response (ASPR) at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Lenzilumab is currently in a Phase 3 clinical trial evaluating patients hospitalized with COVID-19. Humanigen intends to file for emergency use authorization (EUA) in the first quarter of 2021.
Under the terms of the agreement, Emergent will provide its integrated CDMO services for the manufacturing of drug product batches to support Humanigens efforts to increase supply of lenzilumab in anticipation of a potential EUA beginning in the first quarter of 2021, including utilization of a new state-of-the-art flex fill line at Emergents Baltimore, MD (Camden) drug product manufacturing facility. This newly expanded facility was built to provide increased capacity and flexibility to support companies in need of clinical and commercial manufacturing capabilities. The parties intend to negotiate a commercial manufacturing services agreement that could include future fill batches for a biologics license application (BLA).
As we continue to advance lenzilumab for patients hospitalized with COVID-19, we are executing on plans to ensure that we have the necessary support for the next phase of our growth. Partnering with leading CDMOs like Emergent BioSolutions to help us build out our manufacturing capacity is a cornerstone to that strategy, said Cameron Durrant, MD, MBA, chief executive officer of Humanigen. The impact of BARDAs support through our CRADA and its public-private CDMO partnership with Emergent is vital to our progress and bringing innovative solutions for patients with COVID-19.
For Emergent, this agreement follows and is in addition to the landmark public-private CDMO partnership between Emergent and BARDA, announced in June 2020, to pave the way for high-priority innovators leveraging reserved capacity at their Drug Substance and Drug Product facilities.
Drug product manufacturing is a hallmark capability of our CDMO services, and we stand ready to harness our expertise to advance lenzilumab, Humanigens COVID-19 therapeutic candidate, said Syed T. Husain, senior vice president and CDMO business unit head at Emergent BioSolutions. Every second counts in the fight against COVID-19, and we are proud that Humanigen trusts us to rapidly deploy our clinical-to-commercial manufacturing operations to fulfill the urgent need for COVID-19 therapeutic options.
This agreement marks Emergents seventh CDMO collaboration with government and industry partners working to deliver COVID-19 vaccine and therapeutic solutions.
About Emergent BioSolutions
Emergent BioSolutions is a global life sciences company whose mission is to protect and enhance life. Through Emergents specialty products and contract development and manufacturing services, Emergent is dedicated to providing solutions that address public health threats. Through social responsibility, Emergent aims to build healthier and safer communities. Emergent aspires to deliver peace of mind to its patients and customers so they can focus on whats most important in their lives. In working together, Emergent envisions protecting or enhancing 1 billion lives by 2030. For additional information, visit Emergents website and follow Emergent on LinkedIn, Twitter and Instagram.
About Humanigen, Inc.
Humanigen, Inc. is developing its portfolio of clinical and pre-clinical therapies for the treatment of cancers and infectious diseases via its novel, cutting-edge GM-CSF neutralization and gene-knockout platforms. Humanigen believes that its GM-CSF neutralization and gene-editing platform technologies have the potential to reduce the inflammatory cascade associated with coronavirus infection. Humanigens immediate focus is to prevent or minimize the cytokine release syndrome that precedes severe lung dysfunction and ARDS in serious cases of SARS-CoV-2 infection. Humanigen is also focused on creating next-generation combinatory gene-edited CAR-T therapies using strategies to improve efficacy while employing GM-CSF gene knockout technologies to control toxicity. In addition, Humanigen is developing its own portfolio of proprietary first-in-class EphA3-CAR-T for various solid cancers and EMR1-CAR-T for various eosinophilic disorders. Humanigen is also exploring the effectiveness of its GM-CSF neutralization technologies (either through the use of lenzilumab as a neutralizing antibody or through GM-CSF gene knockout) in combination with other CAR-T, bispecific or natural killer (NK) T cell engaging immunotherapy treatments to break the efficacy/toxicity linkage, including to prevent and/or treat graft-versus-host disease (GvHD) in patients undergoing allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT). Additionally, Humanigen and Kite, a Gilead Company, are evaluating lenzilumab in combination with Yescarta (axicabtagene ciloleucel) in patients with relapsed or refractory large B-cell lymphoma in a clinical collaboration. For more information, visit http://www.humanigen.com and follow Humanigen on LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook.
Emergent BioSolutions Safe Harbor Statement
This press release includes forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Any statements, other than statements of historical fact, including statements regarding Emergents ability to advance potential solutions to combat coronavirus disease as well as the anticipated production of the lenzilumab Phase 3 COVID-19 experimental therapeutic candidate at expected levels in the expected timeframe, as well as the potential negotiation of a future commercial manufacturing services agreement that could include fill batches for a BLA, are forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements are based on current intentions, beliefs and expectations regarding future events. Emergent cannot guarantee that any forward-looking statement will be accurate. Investors should realize that if underlying assumptions prove inaccurate or unknown risks or uncertainties materialize, actual results could differ materially from expectations. Investors are, therefore, cautioned not to place undue reliance on any forward-looking statement. Any forward-looking statement speaks only as of the date of this press release, and, except as required by law, Emergent does not undertake to update any forward-looking statement to reflect new information, events or circumstances.
There are a number of important factors that could cause Emergents actual results to differ materially from those indicated by such forward-looking statements, including the success of the planned development program; the timing of and ability to obtain and maintain regulatory approvals or authorization for emergency or broader patient use for the product candidate; and Emergents commercialization, marketing and manufacturing capabilities. The foregoing sets forth many, but not all, of the factors that could cause actual results to differ from expectations in any forward-looking statement. Investors should consider this cautionary statement, as well as the risk factors identified in Emergents periodic reports filed with the SEC, when evaluating Emergents forward-looking statements.
Humanigen Forward-Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements reflect management's current knowledge, assumptions, judgment and expectations regarding future performance or events. Although Humanigen management believes that the expectations reflected in such statements are reasonable, they give no assurance that such expectations will prove to be correct and you should be aware that actual events or results may differ materially from those contained in the forward-looking statements. Words such as "will," "expect," "intend," "plan," "potential," "possible," "goals," "accelerate," "continue," and similar expressions identify forward-looking statements, including, without limitation, statements regarding the use of lenzilumab to treat patients hospitalized with COVID-19, Humanigens expectations regarding the timeline to file for and obtain EUA, as well as a potential BLA filing, statements regarding Humanigens ability to attain necessary manufacturing support from CDMOs, the potential for an expanded manufacturing services relationship with Emergent, and statements regarding Humanigens beliefs relating to any of the other technologies in Humanigens current pipeline. These forward-looking statements are subject to a number of risks and uncertainties including, but not limited to, the risks inherent in Humanigens lack of profitability and need for additional capital to grow Humanigens business; Humanigens dependence on partners to further the development of Humanigens product candidates; the uncertainties inherent in the development, attainment of the requisite regulatory approvals or authorization for emergency or broader patient use for the product candidate and launch of any new pharmaceutical product; the outcome of pending or future litigation; and the various risks and uncertainties described in the "Risk Factors" sections and elsewhere in the Humanigen's periodic and other filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
All forward-looking statements are expressly qualified in their entirety by this cautionary notice. You should not place undue reliance on any forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date of this release. Humanigen undertakes no obligation to revise or update any forward-looking statements made in this press release to reflect events or circumstances after the date hereof or to reflect new information or the occurrence of unanticipated events, except as required by law.
View source version on businesswire.com: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210125005359/en/
- Ronawk using stem cell tech developed at Olathe lab to advance liver cancer research in Turkey - Startland News - October 5th, 2021
- StemExpress Partners with the Alliance for Regenerative Medicine to Provide COVID-19 Testing for the Cell and Gene Meeting on the Mesa - WSAW - October 5th, 2021
- Researching the Safety and Effectiveness of Stem Cells to Treat 'Long Covid' - Entrepreneur - October 5th, 2021
- Global Hemoglobinopathies Markets, 2021-2028 - High Unmet Needs / Increasing R&D Investment / Initiatives to Improve Disease Awareness -... - October 5th, 2021
- Faster healing of wounds can decrease pain and suffering and save lives - KY3 - October 5th, 2021
- Stanford neuroscientist's 'assembloids' pave the way for innovative brain research - Scope - October 5th, 2021
- Exosome therapeutic Market 2021 is Showing Impressive Growth by 2028 | Trends, Share, Size, Top Key Players Analysis and Forecast Research EcoChunk -... - October 5th, 2021
- BrainStorm to Present at the 2021 Cell & Gene Meeting on the Mesa - WWNY - October 5th, 2021
- Cell Based Assay & High Content Screening Market Report 2021: The Workhorse of the Pharmaceutical Industry is Becoming a Central Player in... - October 5th, 2021
- Advancing the Development of Innovative Veterinary Products - FDA.gov - October 5th, 2021
- Pharmaxis Cleared To Progress To Phase 2 Bone Marrow Cancer Trial - WBKO - October 5th, 2021
- $500K Grant Supports Research on Muscle Growth in Pigs, With Broader Health Implications - Maryland Today - July 22nd, 2021
- EU approves bluebird bio's CALD gene therapy Skysona - PMLiVE - July 22nd, 2021
- Secrets and pies: the battle to get lab-grown meat on the menu - The Guardian - July 22nd, 2021
- Biomedical Warming and Thawing Devices Market Revenue to Cross USD 308 Mn by 2027: Global Market Insights Inc. - Markets Insider - July 22nd, 2021
- A Recovery for All Of Us: New York City Invests $1 Billion in Life Sciences - Brooklyn Daily Eagle - July 22nd, 2021
- The growing global "infodemic" around stem cell therapies - Axios - June 25th, 2021
- NanoString Launches nCounter Stem Cell Characterization Panel to Advance the Development of Stem Cell Therapy - Yahoo Finance - June 25th, 2021
- Catalent to Acquire RheinCell Therapeutics, Strengthening a Path Towards Industrialization of Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell-based Therapies - Yahoo... - June 25th, 2021
- Immusoft Announces Formation of Scientific Advisory Board - Business Wire - June 25th, 2021
- Jasper Therapeutics and Aruvant Announce Research Collaboration to Study JSP191, an Antibody-Based Conditioning Agent, with ARU-1801, a Novel Gene... - June 25th, 2021
- Gamida Cell Announces Publication in Blood, the Journal of the American Society of Hematology, of the First Pivotal Trial to Evaluate a Cell Therapy... - June 25th, 2021
- More than 800 medicines are in development for diseases that disproportionately affect racial and ethnic communities - PRNewswire - June 25th, 2021
- Andrs Garca Receives Distinguished Professor Award | Research - Research Horizons - June 25th, 2021
- Local foundation awards $1.25 million to MIND Institute to study rare genetic condition - UC Davis Health - June 25th, 2021
- MeCP2 is a microsatellite binding protein that protects CA repeats from nucleosome invasion - Science Magazine - June 25th, 2021
- The Stem Cell Manufacturing market is projected to reach USD 18.0 billion by 2026 from USD - GlobeNewswire - May 28th, 2021
- Jasper Therapeutics Announces New Clinical Trial with the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases to Evaluate JSP191 in Chronic... - May 28th, 2021
- Global Flow Cytometry Market (2020 to 2026) - by Technology, Product and Service, Application, End-user and Geography - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - May 28th, 2021
- Meso-Brain project explores 3D printed stem cells to treat neurological conditions - 3D Printing Industry - May 28th, 2021
- Moderna Highlights Advances in Platform Science and Innovative Vaccine Research at Fourth Annual Science Day - Business Wire - May 28th, 2021
- GPB Scientific Announces Additional Growth Financing to Support Commercialization of Curate Cell Processing System for Next-Generation Cell & Gene... - May 28th, 2021
- TScan Therapeutics Adds to Executive Leadership Team and Board of Directors - BioSpace - May 28th, 2021
- Bone Therapeutics Provides First Quarter 2021 Business Update - GlobeNewswire - May 28th, 2021
- Merakris Therapeutics, Inc. Announces FDA Clearance for - GlobeNewswire - May 28th, 2021
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market 2021 | Research With Size, Growth, Manufacturers, Key Segment, Analysis, Development Status, Segments and 2027... - February 19th, 2021
- Tissue regeneration: Reserve or reverse? - Science Magazine - February 19th, 2021
- Global Scaffold Technology Market Is Expected to Reach USD 2.16 billion by 2028 : Fior Markets - GlobeNewswire - February 19th, 2021
- Recombinant Growth Factors to Account for Over 45% of Overall Demand through 2031: Persistence Market Research - PRNewswire - February 19th, 2021
- The Untapped Potential of Cell and Gene Therapy - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - February 19th, 2021
- Century Therapeutics Significantly Expands Capabilities with New Operational, Laboratory and Manufacturing Facilities in Pennsylvania and New Jersey -... - February 19th, 2021
- Cell Therapy Processing Market To Grow Value $12062 Million By 2026 | Latest Research Report - PharmiWeb.com - February 19th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 | Demand and Scope with Outlook, Business Strategies, Challenges and Forecasts to 2025 KSU | The Sentinel... - February 19th, 2021
- Humanized Mouse and Rat Model Market: Increased development of monoclonal antibodies and improved healthcare to drive the market - BioSpace - February 19th, 2021
- Iterion Therapeutics Secures $17 Million to Advance Development of Tegavivint in Multiple Tumor Settings - PRNewswire - February 19th, 2021
- Global Apoptosis Assays Market Estimated To Expand At A Robust CAGR By 2027||Promega, Abcam plc, Research And Diagnostic Systems, Inc., Sartorius AG,... - February 19th, 2021
- Tibidabo Scientific Industries Strengthens its Core Executive Team with the Appointment of Industry Veteran, John LaViola as Chief Technology Officer... - February 19th, 2021
- Global Cell Expansion Market Value Projected to Expand by 2021-2026 | Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc., GE Healthcare, Lonza Group Ltd., Becton,... - February 19th, 2021
- How Irish medtech came to thrive - Med-Tech Innovation - February 19th, 2021
- Translational Regenerative Medicine Market: Immunotherapy is projected to be the fastest growing segment during the forecast period - BioSpace - February 11th, 2021
- Ensoma Launches to Pioneer Next-Generation In Vivo Approach to Deliver First Off-the-shelf Genomic Medicines - Business Wire - February 11th, 2021
- Notch Therapeutics Closes $85 Million Series A Financing to Develop Pipeline of Renewable Stem Cell-Derived Cancer Immunotherapies - PRNewswire - February 11th, 2021
- Global Biopreservation Market Is Expected to Reach USD 7.67 Billion by 2028 : Fior Markets - GlobeNewswire - February 11th, 2021
- Apollomics, Inc. and Iterion Therapeutics Announce Exclusive Collaboration and License Agreement to Develop and Commercialize Tegavivint in Greater... - February 11th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Revenue, Key Players, Supply-Demand, Investment Feasibility and Forecast By 2029: Osiris Therapeutics, NuVasive, Chiesi... - February 11th, 2021
- 2020 Outlook on the Global Singlecell Technology Industry - Market Size was Over $800 Million in 2019 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - February 11th, 2021
- Stem Cell Cryopreservation Equipments Market Size Report: Strategies of Key Manufacturers, Project Investment of New Industries: Chart, Worthington... - February 11th, 2021
- Seattle Cancer Care Alliance Celebrates 20 Years of Innovation in Cancer Treatment and Care - Business Wire - February 11th, 2021
- Outlook on the CRISPR Gene Editing Global Market to 2030 - Analysis and Forecasts - GlobeNewswire - February 11th, 2021
- Researchers curb local immune response in horses receiving stem cell injury therapy - Horsetalk - February 7th, 2021
- Biobanking Market Report Research and Global Outlook 2021 to 2025 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - February 7th, 2021
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market By Product Type (Dogs, Horses) And By End-Users/Application (Veterinary Hospitals, Research Organizations) Market... - February 6th, 2021
- Stem Cell Assay Market Share, Demand, Manufacturers and Forecast till 2027 | Merck & Co., Thermo Fisher Scientific, GE Healthcare, Agilent... - February 6th, 2021
- Global Apoptosis Assays Market Set To Grow At Healthy CAGR Of 11.10% By 2027||Abcam plc, Research And Diagnostic Systems, Inc., Sartorius AG, Biotium,... - February 6th, 2021
- Jill Biden signals White House resolve on cancer research: This is the fight of our lives - The Cancer Letter - February 6th, 2021
- Tiny sensor technique reveals cellular forces involved in tissue generation - Brown University - February 6th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Partnering Terms and Agreements Directory 2020: Company AZ, Headline Value, Stage of Development at Signing, Deal Component Type,... - February 6th, 2021
- Perales Examines the Impact of COVID-19 on Recipients of Cellular Therapies for Cancer - OncLive - February 6th, 2021
- Stem Cell Market is Expected to Grow with an Impressive CAGR till 2027 | Players Vcanbio, Boyalife, Beikebiotech KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU... - February 6th, 2021
- Regenerative Medicine Market to be Valued at USD 6.49 Billion by 2027 | The Escalating Burden of Chronic Diseases and Genetic Aberrations will be the... - February 4th, 2021
- Turn Biotechnologies Expands the Potential of its mRNA Platform by Licensing Unique Artificial Niche Technology - PRNewswire - February 4th, 2021
- Evotec and Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf Enter Partnership to Develop iPSC-Based Tissue Therapy for Heart Failure - Yahoo Finance UK - February 4th, 2021
- Biobanks Market | Prominent Factors Analysis that will Help in Reshaping the Market Growth - BioSpace - February 4th, 2021
- Alexion Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2020 Results - BioSpace - February 4th, 2021
- Autologous Stem Cell and Non-Stem Cell Based Therapies Market 2020 Size, Share, Analysis, Growth Driver and Industry Segments by 2027 KSU | The... - February 4th, 2021
- Transfection Technologies Market Size 2020 | Global Business Strategies, Growing CAGR of 20.0%, Industry Revenue, Opportunities-Aldrich Co Thermo... - February 4th, 2021
- Global Apoptosis Assays Market Report 2020: Apoptosis Assay Kits Lead the Demand with 42.5% Share - Forecast to 2026 - GlobeNewswire - February 4th, 2021
- Global Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation Market 2020 Industry Scenario, Strategies, Growth Factors and Forecast to 2025 KSU | The Sentinel... - February 4th, 2021
- Mustang Bio Provides Updates on its Lentiviral Gene Therapies for the Treatment of X-linked Severe Combined Immunodeficiency (XSCID) - GlobeNewswire - February 4th, 2021
- Medexus Pharmaceuticals and medac GmbH enter into a License Agreement for First-in-Class Conditioning Agent for Hematopoietic Stem Cell... - February 4th, 2021