Credit: Jean-Louis Paulin on Unsplash.
Over two million babies, children, and adults in the United States are living with congenital heart disease--a range of birth defects affecting the heart's structure or function. Now, researchers at Gladstone Institutes and UC San Francisco (UCSF) have made inroads into understanding how a broad network of genes and proteins go awry in a subset of congenital heart diseases.
"We now have a better understanding of what genes are improperly deployed in some cases of congenital heart disease," says Benoit Bruneau, PhD, director of the Gladstone Institute of Cardiovascular Disease and a senior author of the new study. "Eventually, this might help us get a handle on how to modulate genetic networks to prevent or treat the disease."
Congenital heart disease encompasses a wide variety of heart defects, ranging from mild structural problems that cause no symptoms to severe malformations that disrupt or block the normal flow of blood through the heart. A handful of genetic mutations have been implicated in contributing to congenital heart disease; the first to be identified was in a gene known as TBX5. The TBX5 protein is a transcription factor--it controls the expression of dozens of others genes, giving it far-reaching effects.
Bruneau has spent the last 20 years studying the effect of TBX5 mutations on developing heart cells, mostly conducting research in mice. In the new study published inDevelopmental Cell, he and his colleagues turned instead to human cells, using novel approaches to follow what happens in individual cells when TBX5 is mutated.
"This is really the first time we've been able to study this genetic mutation in a human context," says Bruneau, who is also a professor in the Department of Pediatrics at UCSF. "The mouse heart is a good proxy for the human heart, but it's not exactly the same, so it's important to be able to carry out these experiments in human cells."
The scientists began with human induced pluripotent stem cells (iPS cells), which have been reprogrammed to an embryonic-like state, giving them--like embryonic stem cells--the ability to become nearly every cell type in the body.
Then, Bruneau's group used CRISPR-Cas9 gene-editing technology to mutate TBX5 in the cells and began coaxing the iPS cells to become heart cells. As the cells became more like heart cells, the researchers used a method called single-cell RNA sequencing to track how the TBX5 mutation changed which genes were switched on and off in tens of thousands of individual cells.
The experiment revealed many genes that were expressed at higher or lower levels in cells with mutated TBX5. Importantly, not all cells responded to the TBX5 mutation in the same way; some had drastic changes in gene expression while other were less affected. This diversity, the researchers say, reflects the fact that the heart is composed of many different cell types.
"It makes sense that some are more affected than others, but this is the first experimental data in human cells to show that diversity," says Bruneau.
Bruneau's team then collaborated with computational researchers to analyze how the impacted genes and proteins were related to each other. The new data let them sketch out a complex and interconnected network of molecules that work together during heart development.
"We've not only provided a list of genes that are implicated in congenital heart disease, but we've offered context in terms of how those genes are connected," says Irfan Kathiriya, MD, PhD, a pediatric cardiac anesthesiologist at UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital, an associate professor in the Department of Anesthesia and Perioperative Care at UCSF, a visiting scientist at Gladstone, and the first author of the study.
Several genes fell into known pathways already associated with heart development or congenital heart disease. Some genes were among those directly regulated by TBX5's function as a transcription factor, while others were affected in a less direct way, the study revealed. In addition, many of the altered genes were relevant to heart function in patients with congenital heart disease as they control the rhythm and relaxation of the heart, and defects in these genes are often found together with the structural defects.
The new paper doesn't point toward any individual drug target that can reverse a congenital heart disease after birth, but a better understanding of the network involved in healthy heart formation, as well as congenital heart disease may lead to ways to prevent the defects, the researchers say. In the same way that folate taken by pregnant women is known to help prevent neural tube defects, there may be a compound that can help ensure that the network of genes and proteins related to congenital heart disease stays balanced during embryonic development.
"Our new data reveal that the genes are really all part of one network--complex but singular--which needs to stay balanced during heart development," says Bruneau. "That means if we can figure out a balancing factor that keeps this network functioning, we might be able to help prevent congenital heart defects."
Reference: Kathiriya IS, Rao KS, Iacono G, et al. Modeling Human TBX5 Haploinsufficiency Predicts Regulatory Networks for Congenital Heart Disease. Developmental Cell. 2020. doi:10.1016/j.devcel.2020.11.020.
This article has been republished from the following materials. Note: material may have been edited for length and content. For further information, please contact the cited source.
- NIH awards nearly $2M to Huebsch for study | The Source - Washington University in St. Louis Newsroom - August 31st, 2021
- Shoreline Launches with $4 Billion in Partnerships PharmaLive - PharmaLive - August 31st, 2021
- Bone Therapeutics announces topline results from Phase III knee osteoarthritis study with its enhanced viscosupplement JTA-004 - GlobeNewswire - August 31st, 2021
- Roslin Tech in multi-million bid to fund sustainable food - HeraldScotland - August 31st, 2021
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Industry Analysis, Post COVID-19 Impact, Emerging Trends, Business Growth by 2027||Fate Therapeutics,... - July 22nd, 2021
- Bayer's BlueRock Therapeutics gains FDA fast track for Parkinson's disease cell therapy - PMLiVE - July 22nd, 2021
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell (iPSC) Market to Reach $2.3 Billion by 2026 - PRNewswire - July 7th, 2021
- Impact of NK cell-based therapeutics for Lung Cancer Therapy | BTT - Dove Medical Press - July 7th, 2021
- Caribou eyes $100M IPO as it aims off-the-shelf CAR-Ts at the clinic - FierceBiotech - July 7th, 2021
- Genexine, Toolgen to co-develop CAR-NK cell gene therapy - Korea Biomedical Review - July 7th, 2021
- Reversal of biological age detected in mouse and human embryos - BioNews - July 7th, 2021
- Century Therapeutics Announces Closing of Initial Public Offering and Full Exercise of Underwriters' Option to Purchase - GlobeNewswire - June 25th, 2021
- Univ. of Washington and Sana researchers use gene editing to prep stem cells for heart repair - GeekWire - June 25th, 2021
- Ubiquitination is essential for recovery of cellular activities after heat shock - Science Magazine - June 25th, 2021
- The CCL2-CCR2 astrocyte-cancer cell axis in tumor extravasation at the brain - Science Advances - June 25th, 2021
- Pharmacogenomic approach to cure the pain of the 'burning man' - Lab + Life Scientist - June 25th, 2021
- The Stem Cell Assay Market To Grow Through Mergers Amongst Market Participants The Courier - The Courier - June 25th, 2021
- Accelerated Biosciences' Immune-Privileged Human Trophoblast Stem Cells (hTSCs) Offer Breakthrough Opportunities in Cancer-Targeting Therapeutics and... - May 15th, 2021
- Study Models the Effect of Herpes Infection on Fetal Brain Development - Pharmacy Times - May 15th, 2021
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market is set for Lucrative Growth | Top Companies Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., FUJIFILM Corporation, KSU | The... - May 15th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market by Type, Therapeutic Application and Cell Source - Global Forecasts to 2026 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - May 15th, 2021
- Global Induced Pluripotent Market Showing Impressive Growth by 2027||Thermo Fisher Scientific; Cell Applications, Inc.; Axol Bioscience Ltd.;... - May 15th, 2021
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market 2020 Top Manufactures, Growth Opportunities and Investment Feasibility 2025 The Courier - The Courier - May 3rd, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market worth $401 million by 2026 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - PRNewswire - May 3rd, 2021
- Fate Therapeutics Announces Four Presentations at the 2021 ASGCT Annual Meeting - GlobeNewswire - May 3rd, 2021
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market 2021 Is Booming Across the Globe by Share, Size, Growth, Segments and Forecast to 2027 | Top Players... - May 3rd, 2021
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market 2021 Industry Size, Share, Growth and Top Companies Analysis- Fujifilm Holding Corporation (CDI),... - May 3rd, 2021
- A New CRISPR Tool Flips Genes On and Off Like a Light Switch - Singularity Hub - May 3rd, 2021
- Stem Cell Characterization Kits Market Report 2021 by Global Key Players, Types, Applications, Countries, Size, Forecast to 2027 Good News Gum - Good... - May 3rd, 2021
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Growth Opportunities, Analysis and Forecasts Report 2020-2026 with key players position (Fujifilm Holding... - February 17th, 2021
- Cytovia Therapeutics and Cellectis Partner to Develop TALEN Gene-Edited iPSC-Derived Natural Killer Cells - BioSpace - February 17th, 2021
- Can we freeze them? Yes we can, says Nkarta - Vantage - February 17th, 2021
- Global Induced Pluripotent Market Positive Outlook, Revenue Generation & Leading Manufacturers, Forecast 2026||CELGENE CORPORATION; Astellas... - February 17th, 2021
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Growth, Competitive Landscape, Research Methodology, Business Opportunities, Statistics and Industry Analysis... - February 17th, 2021
- Evotec and Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf Enter Partnership to Develop iPSC-Based Tissue Therapy f - PharmiWeb.com - February 4th, 2021
- Breakthrough stem cell therapy may reverse life-threatening conditions in dogs - Study Finds - February 4th, 2021
- SLAS Technology Special Collection on Artificial Intelligence in Process Automation Available Now - Newswise - February 4th, 2021
- Exacis Biotherapeutics Announces Key Addition To Its Executive Leadership Team With Dirk Huebner MD Joining As Chief Medical Officer - PRNewswire - February 4th, 2021
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market 2020 Global Share, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Regional Overview, Leading Company Analysis And Forecast... - February 4th, 2021
- Money on the Move: January 27 February 2 - BioSpace - February 4th, 2021
- Poultry Healthcare Products Market Share, Growth, Statistics, by Application, Production, Revenue & Forecast to 2025 - AlgosOnline - January 27th, 2021
- Impact Of Covid 19 On Stem Cells Industry 2020 Market Challenges, Business Overview And Forecast Research Study 2026 Murphy's Hockey Law - Murphy's... - January 27th, 2021
- SREBP1 suppresses the differentiation and epithelial function of hiPSC-derived endothelial cells by inhibiting the microRNA199b-5p pathway - DocWire... - January 25th, 2021
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Segmentation and Analysis by Latest Trends, Development and Growth by Trending Regions 2020 with key players... - January 25th, 2021
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market to Witness Massive Growth During 2021-2027 | Fujifilm Holding Corporation (CDI), Ncardia, Sumitomo... - January 25th, 2021
- Hands across the water as bio bonds stand test of time | Business Weekly - Business Weekly - January 25th, 2021
- Exercise mimetics and JAK inhibition attenuate IFN-induced wasting in engineered human skeletal muscle - Science Advances - January 25th, 2021
- Can Science Save the Northern White Rhino? - Freethink - January 25th, 2021
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market to Grow with an Impressive CAGR - Farming Sector - January 9th, 2021
- Accelerating cell-based therapies by providing safe therapeutic MSC products - BioSpace - January 9th, 2021
- Exacis Biotherapeutics Announces Its Launch and mRNA Technology In-Licensing For Targeted CAR-NK And CAR-T Cell Cancer Therapies | DNA RNA and Cells |... - January 9th, 2021
- Environmental Factor - January 2021: Intramural Papers of the Month - Environmental Factor Newsletter - January 9th, 2021
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market To Witness Huge Gains Over 2020-2026 - Factory Gate - December 28th, 2020
- Exosomes act as messengers and decoys to save healthy cells from viral infection - Massive Science - December 28th, 2020
- Scientists have restored youth to aging eyes in mice - Massive Science - December 21st, 2020
- Top Technical Advances of 2020 - The Scientist - December 21st, 2020
- A new psychedelic drug gives psychiatric benefits without causing hallucinations - Massive Science - December 21st, 2020
- I Peace, Inc. and Avery Therapeutics announce collaboration to bring iPSC derived cell therapy for heart failure to the clinic - PRNewswire - December 17th, 2020
- Global Induced Pluripotent Market 2020-26 Steering Forces Heading Towards Impressive CAGR With CELGENE CORPORATION; Astellas Pharma Inc.; Thermo... - December 17th, 2020
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market Expectable to Exceed Global Market Revenue, Size, Segments and Market Competition Trend to... - December 14th, 2020
- Evotec and Sartorius Partner with Start-Up Curexsys on IPSC-Based Therapeutic Exosome Approach - BioSpace - December 9th, 2020
- Multiple gene edits and computer simulations could help treat rare genetic diseases - University of Wisconsin-Madison - December 9th, 2020
- Cytovia Therapeutics announces plans to initiate in 2021 Clinical Development of Universal iPSC NK Cell Therapy for Hematological and Solid Tumors -... - December 9th, 2020
- Fate Therapeutics Reports Positive Interim Data from its Phase 1 Study of FT516 in Combination with Rituximab for B-cell Lymphoma - GlobeNewswire - December 9th, 2020
- Constantly Growing Applications and Innovations to Push Sales of Amniotic Membrane Market Up To ~US$2.4 Bn by 2027, Observes TMR - PRNewswire - December 9th, 2020
- Tulane researcher shows enhanced therapeutic stem cell migration improves neurodegenerative disease - News from Tulane - December 8th, 2020
- Researchers restore lost sight in mice, offering clues to reversing aging - Science Magazine - December 8th, 2020
- Fate Therapeutics Reports Positive Interim Data from its Phase 1 Study of FT516 in Combination with Rituximab for B-cell Lymphoma | DNA RNA and Cells... - December 8th, 2020
- Bayer and Atara Biotherapeutics in CAR T-cell therapy deal - BioPharma-Reporter.com - December 8th, 2020
- Repairing the Brain With Stem Cells? A Conversation With Prof. Jack Price - Being Patient - December 3rd, 2020
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Size, Comprehensive Analysis, Development Strategy, Future Plans and Industry Growth with High CAGR by... - December 3rd, 2020
- Industry Verticals: Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSC) Market Latest and updated Scope and Application 2020-2027 - The Blend - December 3rd, 2020
- Bayer Launches Cell and Gene Therapy Platform to Maximize Recent Acquisitions - PharmaLive - December 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Size on Target to Reach US$ 17.79 Billion 2027 - Cheshire Media - December 3rd, 2020
- Bayer establishes Cell and Gene Therapy Platform to accelerate pharmaceutical innovation | More News | News Channels - PipelineReview.com - December 3rd, 2020
- Growing Value of Stem Cells in Medicine to Create a US$2,4 Billion Opportunity for Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell ((iPSC) - GlobeNewswire - November 27th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market New Research Study Report with Size, Share, Trends, Emerging Applications, Opportunities and Worldwide Analysis... - November 27th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market Applications, Types and Future Ou - News by aeresearch - November 27th, 2020
- Research Paper Showing ProtoKinetix AAGP Enhanced Stem Cell Derived Retina Precursor Cells Restoration of Vision - Business Wire - November 27th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market 2020: Enhanced Growth, Recent Trends and Major Companies are Fujifilm Holding Corporation, Astellas Pharma, Fate... - November 27th, 2020