Theres controversy surrounding the use of stem cells, particularly in humans. But stem cell therapy is being used to treat beloved pets. Here's how it works in animals.
What are stem cells?
In all animals, stem cells are like blank slates. They start out without any clear identity, but can divide and grow into many different types of cells, like muscle or blood cells.
What is stem cell therapy?
Stem cells are being used to treat illness and heal injuries in pets. They are injected into the body to repair muscles, joints, and ligaments that have been damaged by arthritis or injury. Some cancers are treated with stem cells taken from the pet's own bone marrow. And research is underway to test stem cells for diabetes treatment, and to treat animals that have lost control of their bladders.
Does stem cell therapy for pets work the same as in humans?
Yes. The basic idea is the same, but because there are fewer regulations for treating animals, stem cell therapy is used more often in pets than in humans.
How long have veterinarians been using this type of treatment?
Vets have been testing stem cell therapy in animals for about 10 years, but serious work has amped up in the past 4 or 5 years.
What does the procedure involve?
Stem cells are usually taken from the animals fat tissue or blood plasma. They're then separated out from other cells and put back in the animal, usually by injecting them directly into the problem area.
Does it work?
Right now, there are no big studies to show that stem cell therapy works in pets. All we have is anecdotal evidence, or stories from pet owners and veterinarians. Studies are underway to give us better insight into how effective stem cell therapy is in pets.
Are there any risks?
The biggest risk is your pet developing cancer. Studies are being done to see how to lessen it.
How much does it cost?
In pets, stem cell therapy usually costs between $2,000 and $3,000, but it can go much higher.
Where can I look into pet stem cell therapy?
Teaching hospitals are a great place to start your search. Here are a few:
American Kennel Club Canine Health Foundation: Regenerative Medicine.
Burns, K. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, published online Feb. 15, 2011.
National Institutes of Health: "Stem Cell Basics."
Shila K. Nordone, PhD, chief scientific officer, American Kennel Club Canine Health Foundation.
North Carolina State University College of Veterinary Medicine: "Oncology - Canine Bone Marrow Transplant."
FDA: "FDA Warns About Stem Cell Claims."
Stem Cell Therapy for Pets
- Aspen Neuroscience gets funding to pursue personalized cell therapy for Parkinsons disease - The San Diego Union-Tribune - December 14th, 2019
- Acute Leukemia: 5 Things to Know - Medscape - December 14th, 2019
- Global T-Cell Therapy (CAR T-Cell, Tumor Infiltrating Lymphocytes) Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report 2019-2026 - ResearchAndMarkets.com... - December 14th, 2019
- CAMPUS: EGG DONATION - Artificial sperm cells to remove the genetic worries of sperm donation - ESHRE - December 14th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Forecasted To Surpass The Value Of US$ XX Mn/Bn By 2045 2017 - 2025 - Markets Gazette 24 - December 14th, 2019
- Aspen Neuro Bags $6.5M to Test Parkinson's Disease Stem Cell Therapy - Xconomy - December 13th, 2019
- LentiGlobin Gene Therapy Continues to Show Promising Results in SCD, Updated Trial Data Shows - Sickle Cell Anemia News - December 13th, 2019
- CHMP Issues Positive Opinion Recommending DARZALEX (Daratumumab) in Combination with Bortezomib, Thalidomide and Dexamethasone in Frontline Multiple... - December 13th, 2019
- Treatment Characteristics and Outcomes for Patients With Rare Forms of T-Cell Lymphoma - Hematology Advisor - December 13th, 2019
- Researchers ID Molecule that Appears to Halt and Reverse Scarring in Fibrotic Diseases - BioSpace - December 13th, 2019
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market with Future Prospects, Key Player SWOT Analysis and Forecast To 2024 - Tech Estate Today - December 13th, 2019
- StemGenex - Stem Cell Therapy, Stem Cell Treatments, Stem ... - December 11th, 2019
- Cutting Edge Exosome Regenerative Therapy Comes to Yelm's AM Medical - ThurstonTalk - December 11th, 2019
- Sickle Cell Disease: Ex Vivo Cell Therapy Shines in Early Study - MedPage Today - December 11th, 2019
- Five recent drug target discoveries for pancreatic cancer - Drug Target Review - December 11th, 2019
- Immunotherapy drug improves outcomes for some children with relapsed leukemia - National Institutes of Health - December 11th, 2019
- 20(R)-Ginsenoside Rg3 Influences Cancer Stem Cell Properties and the E | OTT - Dove Medical Press - December 11th, 2019
- Patients closer to receiving regenerated tissue, scientists say - The Irish News - December 11th, 2019
- The Knesset dissolves and the public suffers - Ynetnews - December 11th, 2019
- Global T-Cell Therapy Market: Trends, Opportunities and Forecasts (2019-2026) - Therapy for Solid Tumors Expected to Emerge as a Lucrative Source of... - December 11th, 2019
- Layoffs at Fla.-based stem cell clinic accused of aggressively marketing patients - ABC Action News - December 11th, 2019
- Lineage Cell Therapeutics and AgeX Therapeutics Announce Issuance of US Patent for Method of Generating Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells - BioSpace - December 11th, 2019
- New Mechanism of Bone Maintenance and Repair Discovered - Technology Networks - December 11th, 2019
- BMS' oral maintenance therapy boosts survival in AML patients - PMLiVE - December 11th, 2019
- Autoimmune Technologies Announces New Subsidiary to Develop Novel Antibody and Allogeneic Somatic Stem Cell Therapeutics For the Treatment of Invasive... - December 10th, 2019
- Microbial Dynamics in Patients Treated With Allogeneic Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation - Oncology Nurse Advisor - December 10th, 2019
- CStone's anti-PD-L1 antibody demonstrates promising antitumor activity with a complete response rate of 33.3% and a good safety profile in patients... - December 10th, 2019
- Celularity Presents Pre-Clinical and Clinical Data from its Allogeneic, Placental-Derived, Off-the-Shelf Cell Therapy Platform at the 2019 ASH Annual... - December 10th, 2019
- Magenta Therapeutics Demonstrates First-ever Successful Gene Therapy Transplant Without Chemotherapy in Primates Using a Single Dose of Antibody-drug... - December 10th, 2019
- Novartis sets 2020 target for commercial readiness of cell therapy CMO - BioPharma-Reporter.com - December 10th, 2019
- Stadius Biopharma to Present Data on Fully Human Antibodies for the Treatment of Candida Infections - P&T Community - December 10th, 2019
- Seattle Genetics and Takeda Announce Additional Analyses of ADCETRIS (Brentuximab Vedotin) ECHELON-1 and ECHELON-2 Phase 3 Clinical Trials at the 2019... - December 10th, 2019
- ASH 2019: Second-gen CAR T-Cell Therapy Overcome Resistance, Reduce Toxicity and Simplify Treatment - OncoZine - December 10th, 2019
- IFN-: The T cell's license to kill stem cells in the inflamed intestine - Science - December 8th, 2019
- Movies opening in L.A. this week: 'Bombshell,' 'Jumanji: The Next Level' and more - Los Angeles Times - December 8th, 2019
- Updated Clinical Data from Phase 2 SPiReL Study Evaluating DPX-Survivac as a Combination Therapy in r/r DLBCL Presented at 61st American Society of... - December 8th, 2019
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market 2019 Business Growth, Size and Comprehensive Research Study Forecast to 2026 - Montana Ledger - December 8th, 2019
- Jasper Therapeutics launches out of Stanford with new approach to stem cell treatment - Endpoints News - December 7th, 2019
- MaaT Pharma Announces the Presentation of Positive Data with Its Lead Microbiome Biotherapeutic in Intestinal-Predominant Acute... - December 7th, 2019
- Autolus Therapeutics Announces New Data Showcasing Clinical Progress of Programmed T Cell Therapy Pipeline in Blood Cancers - GlobeNewswire - December 7th, 2019
- Sickle Cell Anemia Patient Becomes First Person in the US to Have Her Genes Edited With CRISPR - Interesting Engineering - December 7th, 2019
- Teen diagnosed with cancer again just months after being told he beat disease - Mirror Online - December 7th, 2019
- Living with cancer: 'Exercising during my chemotherapy treatment worked wonders' - inews - December 7th, 2019
- Takeda to Present Results from the Phase 3 TOURMALINE-AL1 Trial of NINLARO in Patients with Amyloidosis - Business Wire - December 7th, 2019
- Stem cells may trigger immune repair to mend hearts - BioNews - December 5th, 2019
- Omeros Reports Positive Data Across Primary and Secondary Endpoints in Pivotal Trial of Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant-Associated Thrombotic... - December 5th, 2019
- Hunter Syndrome Treatment Market Size, Share & Trend Analysis By Treatment, By Region And Segment Forecasts, 2019 - 2026 - P&T Community - December 5th, 2019
- Platelet Rich Plasma and Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market is on Course to Expand at a CAGR of XX% Over the Forecast Period 2018 - 2026 - Weekly Spy - December 5th, 2019
- miR-194 Inhibits the Proliferation of SW620 Colon Cancer Stem Cells Th | CMAR - Dove Medical Press - December 5th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Growth opportunities, Trends, Industry Analysis, and Forecast to 2020 - Kentucky Reports - December 5th, 2019
- As per new Study on Stem Cell Therapy Market 2019 Future Strategy, Analysis and Prediction by Leading Manufacturers, its Application and Types... - December 5th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Share, Trends, and Opportunity Analysis by 2017 - 2025 - The Market Expedition - December 5th, 2019
- Newly approved sickle cell drug ushers in an era of therapeutic breakthroughs - Worcester Telegram - December 5th, 2019
- A new stem cell therapy promises to heal injured heart - TheHealthSite - December 5th, 2019
- Harnessing Gamma T Cells To Bring Effective Therapies to Patients - Technology Networks - November 30th, 2019
- Phase 2 Trial Data on ALS NurOwn Therapy, Supporting Safety And Early Efficacy, Published - ALS News Today - November 30th, 2019
- Proof-of-Concept Study of CAR-NK Cell Therapy with Engineered Persistence Shows Potential - Cancer Network - November 29th, 2019
- Mum shares heartbreaking photo of toddler sobbing through gruelling cancer treatment - The Sun - November 29th, 2019
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Key Trends, Key Players, Challenges And Standardization, Analysis Of Key Players, And Forecast To 2026 - WindStreetz - November 29th, 2019
- Bone Therapeutics SA: Information on the total number of voting rights and shares - GlobeNewswire - November 29th, 2019
- Induction Therapy and Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation for Mixed-Phenotype Acute Leukemia - Cancer Therapy Advisor - November 28th, 2019
- Why Stem Cell Therapy Might Be Your Answer To Chronic Pain - Patch.com - November 28th, 2019
- North-east toddler overcomes cancer after pioneering stem cell treatment - Press and Journal - November 28th, 2019
- Revolutionary stem cell banking and therapy from Celltex gives patients hope - KHOU.com - November 28th, 2019
- Kyoto University seeks approval to use stem cells in treatment for damaged knees - The Japan Times - November 28th, 2019
- Massive clonal expansion of medulloblastoma-specific T cells during adoptive cellular therapy - Science Advances - November 28th, 2019
- Sickle Cell Disease: Current Treatment and Emerging Therapies - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - November 28th, 2019
- Vertex plans major Boston expansion to support gene, cell therapy ambitions - FiercePharma - November 28th, 2019
- Discovery of 'Tendon Stem Cells' Could Revolutionize How We Recover From Injuries - Good News Network - November 28th, 2019
- You can take my Dads tweets over my dead body - TechCrunch - November 28th, 2019
- From Tiger Woods to Brooks Koepka, the 9 things we learned this fall on PGA Tour - Golf Channel - November 28th, 2019
- Platelet Rich Plasma and Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Future Growth, Industry Verticals, and Research Forecast upto 2026 - The Denton Chronicle - November 28th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Gain Impetus due to the Growing Demand over 2025 - Guru Online News - November 28th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, by Therapeutic Application (Musculoskeletal Disorders, Wounds and Injuries), by Cell Source (Adipose Tissue-derived... - November 28th, 2019
- Global Musculoskeletal Disorder Stem Cell Therapy Market 2019 by Manufacturers, Countries, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - Avon Lake Ledger - November 28th, 2019
- Translink in Armagh holding stem cell registration event in memory of Gavin McNaney - Armagh i - November 28th, 2019
- Induction Therapy and Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation for Mixed-Phenotype Acute Leukemia - Hematology Advisor - November 25th, 2019
- Tendon stem cell discovery could lead to improvements in injury recovery - Drug Target Review - November 25th, 2019
- 2 Small-Cap Biotechs That Soared Last Week - Motley Fool - November 25th, 2019
- Cell Culture Market Size to Exceed US $42 Billion by 2026 - Post Register - November 25th, 2019